General ROH Spam Thread

Yeah that dude sold it like gold. I miss my dvr. Miss watching ROH.

ROHWrestling.com, one hour a week, free on Thursday. A dude on Reddit made a pretty popular post a couple of weeks ago about how his Thursday viewing is an hour of NXT and then an hour of ROH. His only negative was that he often confuses who is in NXT and who is in ROH.

Anybody know where I can get Jay Briscoe's theme song aka the most recent one. Can't find it on iTunes and can't seem to find a link anywhere

Think he means, "Reach for the Sky" by Adam Massacre. It's unavailable because Adam Massacre is unwilling to release it because ROH bought it and said it's now ROH's property.

Yeah it was the Reach For The Sky one. I suppose ROH will release it at some point

ROH is now available on Cox Sports Television network at 11pm on Friday nights. It seems like this is similar to the Atlanta syndication deal, but slightly different in that CST is a cable-based network available in different markets on different services. From what I can see, CST has a coverage of 5.5 million total homes and is available in parts of 13 states on various cable systems like Cox, Charter, Suddenlink, and DISH Network (although On DISH it appears only to those in Louisiana & Arkansas).

This is interesting because it’s the first cable deal, offers a consistent time in multiple markets, and in some cases gives ROH dual distribution on SBG and a cable station in the same market. I’m guessing that’s why it wasn’t highly publicized, as cable is very much seen as the enemy of SBG and this may be an under-the-radar type move.

From a market standpoint this gives them limited distribution in some larger markets, most notably New Orleans (where CST is based) and Cleveland, where Cox is the primary cable provider for the Metro area and CST is available. Lots of other small markets are covered in Florida, Kansas, Arkansas, Georgia, Virginia and California among others. A full affiliate list can be found on coxsportstv.com.

This now means ROH is now available in 48% of American homes. With the Atlanta, Washington and New Orleans deals recently, ROH has accessibility to 10% more Americans in the last month alone. It was also noted in the Observer two weeks ago by Meltzer:

Sinclair Broadcasting will continue shopping ROH TV around to different markets and are using their connections in the game wisely. They're selling ROH for a good price because most syndicated networks would love a weekly wrestling show, it is also a way for SBG to advertise on other networks TV and bring in more advertising revenue to ROH to fund the company.

RD Evans... I can't remember the last time he didn't make me laugh.

And this might be the closest Chuck Taylor ever comes to being in ROH.

So with AJ Styles no longer IWGP Heavyweight Champion the chance of him becoming ROH World Champion have increased pretty significantly. If he doesn't do it at Final Battle I see no way they can not have him win it at the 13th Anniversary Show in Las Vegas, which will also be on PPV.

Michael Bennett's Bachelor Party is an insanely fun show. Recommend it if you have $15 to spare. Some of the stuff on this is great. Adam Cole is a fucking star.

How was the Jay Briscoe/Rhino match?

If you want to be spoiled...

It never really happened. Turned into The Briscoes/Rhino vs. a drunk Kingdom because The Kingdom are ringside the whole night doing shots. It's a fun main event, not great wrestling, but Delirious/Ciampa and ACH/Alexander give you that before it.

I have always been interested in the Jim Cornette era of ROH. As I understand it he wasn't well liked, or perhaps his booking style wasn't. Can someone educate me on this time period, or some funny stories during this era?

Jim Cornette returned to ROH immediately after he was fired by TNA in (I think) 2010. Cornette, who is known for hating WWE's product and who hated TNA's product while he was there, wanted to make ROH the last legitimate wrestling promotion. He was hired as the on and off air executive producer, so pretty much the authority figure on-screen and the boss off screen. Adam Pearce who was booking ROH at the time was fired so Delirious was made head booker but because he was inexperienced, Jim Cornette would help him learn the ropes. They did creative together, etc.

Cornette is the one who wrote up the proposal to Sinclair Broadcasting to buy ROH. After they bought it, they put Cornette into the head booker/boss position because of his experience in wrestling. Cornette would start building ROH as an MMA-esq wrestling promotion where everything is serious and things were made to look and feel like MMA. For example, Davey Richards' gimmick at this time was pretty much an MMA fighter in a wrestling ring. Hes said it was Jim's idea, Jim says it was Davey's idea. To each their own.

The product started to decline a lot and it left behind a lot of what ROH was about. It became a very TV product and despite his years of insulting Vince, WWE, etc, Jim hired guys who really didn't deserve to be hired and pushed them (Mike Mondo, The Headbangers under masks, while he's cool now Mike Bennett originally sucked, QT Marshall, brought in Dan Severn, etc). His booking was often silly, such as an infamous lawyer segment with Kevin Steen, Dan Severn training Eddie Edwards, WGTT (Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin) using cloroform to win matches and so on.

The old fans kind of rebelled and stopped watching. The new fans were only new to the product and because of it ROH's business started taking a hit. They went from drawing 1,000+ people in some areas like Philly or Chicago to drawing a few hundred, at best. They started incorporating OVW into the product because Cornette is friends with Danny Davis. They did a lot of stupid, hokey, 80's wrestling shit and Cornette's time in ROH was labeled, "Smokey Mountain of Honor".

Eventually, Cornette was fired for losing his shit at a TV taping in Pittsburgh. He threatened to kill a member of the office staff. Hes blamed Sinclair for all the issues he had while there, hes blamed people in the office, hes blamed wrestlers like Steen, Generico, Cabana for getting him into bad spirits with fans, hes blamed the old ROH fans he isolated for not seeing the bigger picture - hes done with Jim does, hes blamed everyone but himself, even though the big point many people make is, the event after Cornette was fired, which Delirious completely booked, Glory by Honor XI, was the best show ROH did that year.

After Cornette left, Delirious started bringing ROH back to what it used to be but incorporated some of Jim's ideologies, the difference is he did it in an often smart fashion. For example, no ROH fan wanted to see Matt Hardy wrestle, he's not good enough to be in ROH and he can't wrestle the style. Cornette was always putting him in singles matches and had him working as a face - what does Delirious do? Always puts him in tag matches so others could carry him, had him turn heel, call himself "The ICON" and have what was probably the best work Hardy's done character wise since V1.

Delirious brought Japan back to ROH, started bringing guys back like Paul London, started incorporating NJPW guys before they ever had a working agreement, made the TV show watchable, got rid of a lot of Jim's guys (Mondo was released, QT Marshall was released, but now works Future of Honor shows) and started signing talent that fits ROH. ACH, Matt Taven (even though I personally don't like him), Bobby Fish, Adam Page, has brought back AJ Styles, Daniels, Kazarian, Sydal, emphasized ROH as not being the best but where the best are made.

Cornette's time in ROH is recognized as the worst time period creatively and judging from a lot of shoot interviews I've watched, also behind the scenes, in its history. Jimmy Jacobs did an interview months ago and said Jim killed the "team ROH" vibe they always had and only this year its really came back, where the locker room tries to work as a team instead as individuals. The change in ROH from when Cornette was there to say now is almost unrecognizable. It looks a lot more polish, it has a look and feel to it, it has an excitement to it and its got buzz around.

One of my favorite Cornette stories from ROH include Kevin Steen beating up a sign of the "Cornette face" during his entrance at Showdown in the Sun Day 1, where Steen threw it through the curtain at Cornette and Jim supposedly got so pissed he took his head set off and refused to watch Steen/Generico.

Thanks Dragon that was very comprehensive and interesting. Did you enjoy Adam Pearces booking? Do you think the heavy MMA vibe was more Cornette, or Cornette at the urging of Sinclair?
I think the pairing with NJPW is great, gets puro some American exposure and helps ROH get some international spotlight.

Jim Cornette returned to ROH immediately after he was fired by TNA in (I think) 2010. Cornette, who is known for hating WWE's product and who hated TNA's product while he was there, wanted to make ROH the last legitimate wrestling promotion. He was hired as the on and off air executive producer, so pretty much the authority figure on-screen and the boss off screen. Adam Pearce who was booking ROH at the time was fired so Delirious was made head booker but because he was inexperienced, Jim Cornette would help him learn the ropes. They did creative together, etc.

Cornette is the one who wrote up the proposal to Sinclair Broadcasting to buy ROH. After they bought it, they put Cornette into the head booker/boss position because of his experience in wrestling. Cornette would start building ROH as an MMA-esq wrestling promotion where everything is serious and things were made to look and feel like MMA. For example, Davey Richards' gimmick at this time was pretty much an MMA fighter in a wrestling ring. Hes said it was Jim's idea, Jim says it was Davey's idea. To each their own.

The product started to decline a lot and it left behind a lot of what ROH was about. It became a very TV product and despite his years of insulting Vince, WWE, etc, Jim hired guys who really didn't deserve to be hired and pushed them (Mike Mondo, The Headbangers under masks, while he's cool now Mike Bennett originally sucked, QT Marshall, brought in Dan Severn, etc). His booking was often silly, such as an infamous lawyer segment with Kevin Steen, Dan Severn training Eddie Edwards, WGTT (Charlie Haas and Shelton Benjamin) using cloroform to win matches and so on.

The old fans kind of rebelled and stopped watching. The new fans were only new to the product and because of it ROH's business started taking a hit. They went from drawing 1,000+ people in some areas like Philly or Chicago to drawing a few hundred, at best. They started incorporating OVW into the product because Cornette is friends with Danny Davis. They did a lot of stupid, hokey, 80's wrestling shit and Cornette's time in ROH was labeled, "Smokey Mountain of Honor".

Eventually, Cornette was fired for losing his shit at a TV taping in Pittsburgh. He threatened to kill a member of the office staff. Hes blamed Sinclair for all the issues he had while there, hes blamed people in the office, hes blamed wrestlers like Steen, Generico, Cabana for getting him into bad spirits with fans, hes blamed the old ROH fans he isolated for not seeing the bigger picture - hes done with Jim does, hes blamed everyone but himself, even though the big point many people make is, the event after Cornette was fired, which Delirious completely booked, Glory by Honor XI, was the best show ROH did that year.

After Cornette left, Delirious started bringing ROH back to what it used to be but incorporated some of Jim's ideologies, the difference is he did it in an often smart fashion. For example, no ROH fan wanted to see Matt Hardy wrestle, he's not good enough to be in ROH and he can't wrestle the style. Cornette was always putting him in singles matches and had him working as a face - what does Delirious do? Always puts him in tag matches so others could carry him, had him turn heel, call himself "The ICON" and have what was probably the best work Hardy's done character wise since V1.

Delirious brought Japan back to ROH, started bringing guys back like Paul London, started incorporating NJPW guys before they ever had a working agreement, made the TV show watchable, got rid of a lot of Jim's guys (Mondo was released, QT Marshall was released, but now works Future of Honor shows) and started signing talent that fits ROH. ACH, Matt Taven (even though I personally don't like him), Bobby Fish, Adam Page, has brought back AJ Styles, Daniels, Kazarian, Sydal, emphasized ROH as not being the best but where the best are made.

Cornette's time in ROH is recognized as the worst time period creatively and judging from a lot of shoot interviews I've watched, also behind the scenes, in its history. Jimmy Jacobs did an interview months ago and said Jim killed the "team ROH" vibe they always had and only this year its really came back, where the locker room tries to work as a team instead as individuals. The change in ROH from when Cornette was there to say now is almost unrecognizable. It looks a lot more polish, it has a look and feel to it, it has an excitement to it and its got buzz around.

One of my favorite Cornette stories from ROH include Kevin Steen beating up a sign of the "Cornette face" during his entrance at Showdown in the Sun Day 1, where Steen threw it through the curtain at Cornette and Jim supposedly got so pissed he took his head set off and refused to watch Steen/Generico.

I was unaware of all this. I wondered whatever happened to Mike Mondo. Still, I had started watching ROH I guess at the mid-point of Cornette's tenure. Now I wished I had seen the previous years.

Pearce's booking was alright, a lot like Delirious', he did a lot of good things but some things were weak. Adam had an advantage in the fact Mark Cuban's HD Net was funding ROH at the time for the TV show. Delirious has been slowing building ROH up since the start of 2013 in his own image. Hes been successful so far, I think creatively hes made an exciting product where when you least expect it anything can happen. His continuity isn't so good, as many people don't get how ROH works because they can watch the TV show one week, and Michael Elgin is ROH World Champion, but buy a VOD off the website and Jay Briscoe is ROH World Champion, then the next week on TV, Elgin's still ROH World Champion. I think this is the big reason a lot of people can't get into ROH, because their timeline isn't straightforward and direct like a WWE.

It was Cornette's decision to try the pro-MMA product. Hes said that. He wanted to capitalize on the popularity of MMA. It failed. ROH was built as the best wrestling, its always had MMA influences, very big on submissions, there have been KO finishes, its style is based off Japanese puro which itself is based off MMA, but Jim went overboard. Dan Severn being brought in as a trainer for Eddie Edwards leading up to Final Battle 2011 was cringe TV.

The Elgin situation is weird :/

In some interesting news though, Kevin Steen, KENTA, Samoa Joe and Austin Aries were reportedly all backstage at the TV taping in Florida.

ROH has announced a toy deal with Figures Toy Company out of America.

The line will include action figures and accessories so I imagine that after years of many people wanting them, ROH replica title belts will be available. They've already said a throwback line will be available so we'll probably see CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe, Austin Aries and others as part of that line.

Always moving forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back