• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Everyone Cares About Rep

Here's the thing: if we deleted everyone's rep, would you forget who the best posters are? Would you forget who is an idiot? No, because you can tell by reading their posts. The rep is little more than a way to praise someone's work. The score and/or power you have means nothing.

If you deleted everyones rep, this place would turn into Vancouver

vancouver-bc-riots.jpg

But that's exactly my point. I cannot imagine some noob getting into a red rep war with you. You give him a -50, he gives you a -1. Hardly a fair fight.

Can't imagine someone getting into a rep war with him? Take a look at Allitude and Punknation in the Cena thread. When they first started their war with Sly they had a one or two green bars, afterwards about 3 red bars. Then again neither of them probably gave two shits about rep considering how long it went on.

Then again that kind of supports the "few people care about rep" arguement.

I used to be self-conscious about my rep, especially around "younger" posters with more rep power than me. Made me feel bad about myself so I started posting like crap more and more until things got out of control for me and I became a spam roach (LOL). Sure I'd post in the rep thread once or twice to get my fix, but I needed more rep every time to feel better. Luckily I have enough will power to keep me from following the path to my self-destructive tendencies. Now I post a few non-spam posts weekly and couldn't be happier knowing I don't have to see the "younger" poster stutting their rep power around.

I applaud whoever got rid of the visible rep power. Somebody give them a friggin' medal!

I check for rep the first thing whenever I log in to the forum. Sometimes, I do not have a good bowel movement when I see that I have recieved no green rep which makes me feel restless for the rest of the day.

Can't imagine someone getting into a rep war with him? Take a look at Allitude and Punknation in the Cena thread. When they first started their war with Sly they had a one or two green bars, afterwards about 3 red bars. Then again neither of them probably gave two shits about rep considering how long it went on.

Then again that kind of supports the "few people care about rep" arguement.

It wasn't just Sly giving red rep to those two morons...Sly had plenty of allies in that.

Rep itself is nice, but people put too much thought into rep power -- especially newer posters. It's not a ranking system, you don't need to care, really.

I like getting green rep, especially from a post I reckon was pretty good. It's just a way of people showing they agree with you and that you make a good point.

Not the most important thing in the world though. Is the rep system changing or something, cos noone has the "rep power" thing under their names any more?

It is what it is. If someone digs what you said, cool. If they didn't, that's cool too. It won't stop the postings.

Is the rep system changing or something, cos noone has the "rep power" thing under their names any more?

Yeah it changed. Rep Power levels are no longer visible and the formula for rep power levels itself changed, as someone who was a rep power level 10 green repped me this morning for 7 points, for example. I can see why this would make some people upset but it isn't that big of a deal. Rep power levels being public were cool, although it's not the end of the world to be without them. If people see a post they think is funny or cool they will still be able to green rep the poster and we do still have a total rep score to look at in our User CP's.

How come the rep situation was changed in the first place? For those who don't care about rep, just ignore it. For those who do, it was there and wasn't doing any harm. I don't particularly care one way or the other, but it seems to me if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It astounds me that some people actually know other poster's rep power.

Exactly.

Guys, it's not like rep is gone as a whole. Rep power is no longer being displayed. And honestly, who really gave a fuck about that?

Once the green bar at the top-right corner of your posts disappears, cry bloody murder. But at the end of the day, ever since the rep system was changed by Sly a few years ago, rep power really didn't mean a whole lot.

You can all still click your User CP and see who put pictures of shit in a toilet within a red rep or a picture of tits within your green rep. You can still rep each other. But why does it matter whether the mathematical meaning behind the green or red is longer displayed?

How come the rep situation was changed in the first place? For those who don't care about rep, just ignore it. For those who do, it was there and wasn't doing any harm. I don't particularly care one way or the other, but it seems to me if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This same sob story happened when Sly removed the ability to see others' rep and rep comments. But we all got over that one, too.

Because Brian, its that knack in us to show off our reputation. Green rep and the increase in rep power is a tell-tale sign to show who the heavy hitters are. But we already know that.

It's not tangible, but there is this pride associated with the increase of power.

I don't care that it's no longer visible, but part of me kind of felt like when my rep power went up a digit, that it was kind of like leveling up after running around gaining experience for a while...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back