ECW Region, Third Round, Hardcore Match: (2) Sting vs. (7) Rowdy Roddy Piper

Who Wins This Match?

• Sting

• Roddy Piper

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
This is a third round match in the ECW Region. It is a hardcore match held under ECW Rules. It will be held at the Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

6a0120a6dde087970b0133f3850f2d970b-500wi

Rules: A normal wrestling match where weapons are allowed and falls count anywhere.

url

#2. Sting

Vs.

url

#7. Rowdy Roddy Piper

This match takes place one week after round 2.

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

This is very hard for me because i love both wrestlers in this match up. Sting is more athletic then Piper. Sting is also more of a technician then Roddy. Rowdy is a brawler, he can be vicious. Rowdy will be great in this match up because he can play dirty.

In this match up, Im voting for Rowdy Roddy Piper.

It is an absolute travesty that Piper went over Kane in a hardcore matchup. Sting outclasses Piper physically, mentally, and aggressively. Sting won't fall for Pipers mind games and will match or even out perform Piper in brawling. Be smart, vote Sting

We should get something straight here - Piper isn't a hardcore legend. He is a master when it comes to cheating, but he isn't half the bad ass some make him out to be. He gets votes because he's one of the best mic workers we have ever seen. That means nothing here.

Sting is everything he's made out to be. Who has Piper ever beaten in a match like this? I won't be researching this thoroughly, so I could end up being made to look like a fool, but I don't recall Piper beating much of anyone in a hardcore match setting.

Sting, on the other hand, has beaten Vader and Cactus Jack in similar matches. That's a whole lot more than you can say for Piper.

Sting wins, by a lot.

I’m sure it is the first instinct of many to vote for Piper in a hardcore match. He’s got the reputation as a tough street fighter while Sting has more of a reputation of a straight wrestler. After thinking about voting for Piper for about two seconds I realized the right vote is a vote for Sting. In his prime Sting was the top face for a company. In his prime Piper was the top heel for a company. It’s natural to assume when a top face faces a top heel the face is favored. In order to make it more believable that the heel has a chance he needs some sort of edge that can convince you that he may be the favorite. The no holds barred stipulation is that edge for Piper. The key is it is an edge that makes it believable that the heel has a chance. It’s not an edge that just gives the heel the victory. Now the baby face can be looked at as a sympathetic underdog as he overcomes the odds on his way to victory like all great baby faces do. After a great main event fight in which he is taken to the limit the Stinger comes out on top here.

Definitely going with the Stinger here. He's gonna take the low blows & the sleeper hold, but once Piper hits him with a chair from behind, Sting does his version of the Hulk Up. Beating on his chest & all, he'll clothesline him, back body drop him, gorilla press him, Sting Splash Him, & Scorpion Death Lock him. 5 Moves of Doom. Sting just has a higher threshold of pain and more impact moves. Sting easy.

I’m sure it is the first instinct of many to vote for Piper in a hardcore match. He’s got the reputation as a tough street fighter while Sting has more of a reputation of a straight wrestler. After thinking about voting for Piper for about two seconds I realized the right vote is a vote for Sting.

Exactly the same thought process. I was making the match up and I was like, ah this favours Piper. Then I thought, why? Sting has almost certainly been in and won more gimmick matches than Piper, and more to the point, he has accomplished far more in a wrestling ring than Piper ever did. A win for Sting this, and it doesn't require much more thought.

I'm not a fan of Sting, never really have been, however I have seen him have a hell of a lot more success in a hardcore setting than Piper ever has, just cause Piper was able to win some ridiculous Backstage Brawl match against Goldust at WM12 doesn't mean he has any real shot at beating the Stinger here. Stinger decends from the rafters, baseball bat in hand, tees off on Piper a bit before hitting a Stinger Splash in teh corner followed by a Scorpion Deathdrop, and then finally locking in the Scorpion Deathlock for the win.

Sting's a legend... but not a hardcore wrestler like Piper can be.

Piper's a sick man without weapons or a hardcore setting, and now you give him weapons and a hardcore rule set in a match? He's nearly unbeatable aside from someone who could seep down to his level. And Sting, as legendary as he is, can't do that.

I vote Piper and it pains me to do so.

Roddy Piper can brawl but, in my eyes, Piper's greatest strength has always been on the mic. Unfortunately for him, that's not going to give him a win in this match.

Sting is the biggest name in wrestling over the past 40 years to have NEVER wrestled in a WWE ring and is still one of the overall biggest & most loved stars of all time. Sting has beaten the likes of Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Vader, Lex Luger, Kevin Nash, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, Mick Foley and a whole host of other huge stars and legends. Prior to coming to TNA several years back, Sting was a 7 time World Champion.

As much as I like Roddy Piper, Piper was a career mid-carder that never reached the heights Sting reached, nor did he defeat the sort of names that Sting beat. Both men will be bloody here and Piper will do himself proud by putting up a good fight. In the end, however, Sting forces a bloody & beaten Piper to submit via the Scorpion Deathlock about the 15 minute mark.

I always regarded the Hot Rod as the WWF's version of Naitch. As Sting has always had Flair's number, I firmly believe he would have always had Piper's too had they faced off.

Piper is most certainly a sick individual who may benefit from the type of environment he finds himself in.

[YOUTUBE]lHh9Wb--J0M[/YOUTUBE]

That said, it doesn't mean that he will. As people have mentioned, it certainly isn't Sting's first Hardcore rodeo. When all is said and done, he has that bat which has parted droves of NWO renegades in the past as well as taken out just as many men in one-on-one encounters.

Sting is probably the greater contributor to wrestling as a whole. As much as Roddy was hated on a national scale towards the mid-90s in the WWF, Sting was probably more popular as a face at two distinct and chronologically separate moments in the WCW. And as voting for any criteria is fully legal, Piper is a better promo guy without doubt in my mind, but Sting's ability is severely underrated. He's proven even in TNA over recent years that he can deliver a hell of a promo on the right occasion so that won;t be swaying much for me.

Piper is the probably more versatile and unpredictable guy in this contest, but Sting is reliably good, he always has won matches even as the beginning of his career when he had to take on a red hot Ric Flair amongst others.

I don't know who to choose in this one, but I'm leaning towards the Stinger.

I'm mostly out of ammo with my Piper support but have one last plea to the last arriving masses.

Who would you rather see feud in the next round with the wise-ass self agrandizing jackass that is Chris Jericho. The guy that is going to hang out silently in the rafters or the guy that is a genius on the mic, displays insane human emotions and has never been predictable.

Be sure to enjoy the next round with Sting. I think I'll take that round off in order to work on my Paint-By-Numbers artwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back