ECW Region, Mexico Subregion, Second Round: (7) Roddy Piper vs. (10) Kane

Who Wins This Match?

• Roddy Piper

• Kane

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
This is a second round match in the ECW Region, Mexico City Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW Rules. It will be held at the Arena Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico

arena-mexico.jpg

piper21.jpg

#7. Roddy Piper

Vs.

d8cb4d80177a74077bcf19d42486586c.jpg

#10. Kane

This match takes place one week after round 1.

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Kane in a regular match is dangerous enough, add weapons into the equation and the guy is practically unstoppable. The guy is well known for his rampages where he just randomly desecrates everyone in his path.

for example...

[youtube]0KFevFBfjSM[/youtube]

Kane has brutalized likes of Steve Austin, Mankind, the Dudley's, Big Show, Raven, RVD, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Edge, Christian, and the Undertaker in matches which involved a hardcore environment and still come out on top. Hell, he KO'ed the Big Show with one chair shot.

I'm sure Roddy Piper was proficient enough with weapons, as it doesn't take a genius to swing a chair, but I'm sure he find it disheartening when half his shots don't really hurt Kane. He was just as notorious as the Undertaker for no selling chair shots, most notably those from Edge and Christian, and the Dudley's. Kane even brushed off a shot from a metal pipe from Mankind. Could Roddy Pipper do any of that? No. Would he be able to survive an Extreme Rules against Kane? No way in Hell...

Vote Kane.

I'm going to ask the exact same question I asked in the previous round, in a fight I admitted stood little chance; has there ever been a wrestler that existed for as long as Kane has, that has produced as much shitty television?

Kane got a reprieve last round, being against a mainly mid card name.
Mind you, that'd imply that Kane isn't regularly a mid carded himself. But the point still stood, Regal was a mid carder. Piper was the main event heel of wrestling's best boom period. At his run at the top, he was Hogan's nemesis. For every boom period, the top face needs a credible heel to be his foil. Piper was that, during a period that launched the WWE as we now know it. Fuck, he became a household name during the era of Hogan. Piper is a trailblazer; Kane is your run of the mill monster, who gets an extended stay in the company because of who his gimmick is tied to.

If we're arguing Piper isn't so great in a hardcore environment, this is Piper, who's gimmick is that he's a mad man that doesn't give a fuck. Do you really think he's going to stop after one or two chair shots?

Oh, and if you will, there's a dog collar match out there that says your wrong. Don't make me look for all those videos of bad Kane television; just vote Piper.

Roddy Piper is synonymous with entertaining television to the point that CM Punk credits him as the reason he thought being a professional wrestler looked fun as a youngster. If the television Kane produces inspires any young wrestling fan to enter the industry and he reaches the level Punk has, I think it's safe to say that the man in question would be a blight to us all, a stain on the industry, and an albatross which we will collectively shake out heads at for years to come. Kane may be a nice guy and an adequate performer in some people's minds. But he's been saddled with the kind of crap that makes "greatness" a non-issue for him.

Vote: Piper

Piper is everything a heel should be. He will do whatever it takes to get over with the audience. I expect in this match he pulls out a taser and low blows Kane with it. I am not going to rehash his accomplishments in this thread but he is bigger than wrestling and therefore a clear choice to win this bout.

Kane would be too distracted by the political ramifications of the progressive tax code on the winner's purse and preoccupied with thoughts of Katie Vick in a red plaid skirt while watching Hot Rod approach the ring.

Plus Kane has done a shit ton of jobbing his whole career. I can't imagine his winning percentage over the best 5 years in his career are better than Piper's.

I agree with George, Coco, and Pipa. You're talking about Roddy Piper, who has been involved in his own collection of extreme matches and been successful in them to boot. Kane may be a monster, but Kane doesn't possess the mentality of a Roddy Piper, he's not as focused, not as calculated, or as cunning. Piper is a brawler in league with the best of them who can wrestle too. You give the guy free reign to use weapons and do as he pleases and I think you better pack a lunch whoever the hell you are.

Piper does have a history of destroying bizarre characters in matches of this fashion, let's take a blast to the past and take a look.

[YOUTUBE]ym5CFMaUNEA[/YOUTUBE]

I'm just sayin', that guy ends Kane all day, and that's not even him in his physical prime.

Here's another classic Piper moment I'm sure many of you will remember.

[YOUTUBE]kZbZseTuQ1I[/YOUTUBE]

And this is a great example because it shows that he doesn't even need traditional weapons, he used a coconut for Christ sake. What else will he make use of ?

Here's another bad ass match from Piper that got pretty hardcore. WrestleMania 8 vs Bret Hart. At the time it was a very bloody match for the WWF to have, and Roddy Piper busted Bret open and even went to use the ring bell, once again showing his affinity for weapons.

[YOUTUBE]XmetrzPmWSs[/YOUTUBE]

Any Questions? Vote Piper.

Piper wins this one. Kane never showed up against big name competition. Not to mention the fact that Piper made a living busting shit across peoples head in the pit. Piper will go over in a rather fun match.

ECW rules are definitely going to favor Piper. He knows he's up against a monster and will need to pull out all the stops to beat Kane. Piper is relentless when put in a street fight setting with weapons at his disposal. As usual Kane will get overconfident and let his guard down. Piper will then go on the attack and do whatever it takes to get the win. Kane won't know what hit him.

Despite my usual, "Fuck old people" rule, I'm going to have to vote for Piper. His matches and segments are some of the few bits of wrestling that have stood the test of time for me. I'm a huge Kane mark, but he's made a career of losing to guys who model themselves after Piper, i.e. Jericho, Edge, etc. Of course he's going down to the originator.

I'm probably going to get lynched for this but I'm going with Kane, he can be just as low and dirty as anybody especially Piper. The match type won't favor Piper at all, Kane is a former ECW and Hardcore champion. Piper will definitely give Kane hell but Kane will give it back 10 fold. Somebody earlier said Piper would taser Kane's sack but Kane already did that, with a car battery. There is no depths to which Kane will sink to hurt his opponent. Piper can go ahead and bonk him on the head with a coconut but Kane will turn around with a flaming, barbed wire wrapped, cinder block and smash his skull in. In a normal match I'd lean more with Roddy but this match type seals it for him.

If this had been in the WWE region or even WCW I would have said that Kane was too big for piper to handle. But its EC F'N W and Piper has weapons to equalize.

I think piper is too smart for Kane. Not to mention in the pages of history Kane wont be a boil on the hotrods arse.

I think piper is too smart for Kane. Not to mention in the pages of history Kane wont be a boil on the hotrods arse.

How do you figure that? Kane has been named one of the most intelligent people on the roster, both kayfabe and non kayfabe.

I don't see many of Piper's shots having any affect on Kane at all; in fact I see him just shrugging of his offense and then beating six shades of shit out of him. Kane beat Stone Cold at the height of his popularity in a First Blood match... you know, a match where you use weapons to bust the opponent open first.

If Kane can dethrone Stone Cold, if even for a day, at the HEIGHT of his popularity, then what chance would Piper have against the same monster?

Debut to WM14 Kane crushes Piper, just like he crushed everyone else at that time. This is a guy that took 3 tombstones to keep down, Piper can do nothing here and to say otherwise is to ignore the reality in favour of favouritism.

This is a tough one. I was a big Piper fan growing up as I"ve always been one to flock to the great talkers, but unfortunately, I can't go with him here.

I know that Piper is crazy and the ECW style would suit him, but he's matched up against a guy that is crazier and also a foot taller and 100 pounds heavier. In that sort of environment, Piper would have to do WAY more than Kane to get the victory and I think the deficit would prove to be too much.

In a regular match, this is likely closer, but ECW rules favor the big, crazy man in red. I'm voting Kane here but I might be persuaded with the right arguments.

In a straight up match you gotta take Kane, I dont remember Piper ever getting the better of a wrestler Kanes size. ECW rules makes it alot more up in the air. Kane may be a destroyer with wins over some of the best in the biz, but Piper is crazy.

Tell me you cant see Piper going all Wrestlemania X7 and hitting Kane with chair shot after chair shot like Austin did Rock.

The ECW region was made for Roddy Piper. He's the type of nutty character that would grab weapon after weapon, never to end the match but to humiliate his opponent. The videos that Ba-Bomb showed are case and point, Piper was one of the first in WWF to use weapons pretty effectively. From baseball bats to coconuts to timekeeper bells, Piper would be right at home in the ECW region.

The problem is that he's fighting a fucking monster. Kane, at the top of his gimmick, was unstoppable. He was a major factor in the Attitude Era, which, of course, had weapons galore. His eliminations during that one Royal Rumble where he just went smashing people is a memory that will always live on.

Let's analyze Piper's hardcore moments that Ba-Bomb posted, shall we? We had his Backlot Brawl with Goldust, which was a joke for many reasons. The car got more damage than Goldust. Then he smashed an unsuspecting Jimmy Snuka with a coconut, which, I think, he wont get a chance against Kane. And finally, he missed a chance to KO Bret Hart for the IC title. I know he and Bret are (kayfabe) cousins, but that showed to me that he doesn't have the killer instinct that Kane does who, upon his debut, tombstoned his (kayfabe) brother.

I'm going with Kane. He gets a slight edge over a fantastic and resilient Piper.

Kane, chokeslam and tombstone, 20 minutes.

Roddy gets a chair, Kane stands and takes chair shots to the head...not moving out of the way because HE IS AN UNSTOPPABLE MONZTERRRR!!!!1! Eventually he falls down, but then sits up....and proceeds to take more shots to the head. Eventually he gets up...puts the choke on Roddy...but Roddy hits him again with the chair. Eventually, as monstrous as Kane is, he would eventually lose consciousness, and Piper would pin him easily.

Roddy gets a chair, Kane stands and takes chair shots to the head...not moving out of the way because HE IS AN UNSTOPPABLE MONZTERRRR!!!!1! Eventually he falls down, but then sits up....and proceeds to take more shots to the head. Eventually he gets up...puts the choke on Roddy...but Roddy hits him again with the chair. Eventually, as monstrous as Kane is, he would eventually lose consciousness, and Piper would pin him easily.

Lulz. So Kane just stands there and lets Piper hit him with a chair, huh? What's to stop Kane from taking Piper's head off with a clothesline and kicking the crap out of him?

But no, Piper's just waaaaaaaaaaay too smart to let that happen :rolleyes:

Clearly he can see into the future and he'll be able to know Kane's offense before he does.

Lulz. So Kane just stands there and lets Piper hit him with a chair, huh? What's to stop Kane from taking Piper's head off with a clothesline and kicking the crap out of him?

But no, Piper's just waaaaaaaaaaay too smart to let that happen :rolleyes:

Clearly he can see into the future and he'll be able to know Kane's offense before he does.

How many times in the period from 1998-2000 did you just see Kane take a chair shot then walk toward the person without being able to do anything about it? Many.

Aside from that, Kane sucks. He's genuinely one of the sloppiest, most bumbling wrestlers I've ever seen. That alone gives the advantage to Piper. Who's to say that Kane doesn't slip and fall on weapons do to his poor coordination?

How many times in the period from 1998-2000 did you just see Kane take a chair shot then walk toward the person without being able to do anything about it? Many.

You're mistaking body shots with headshots, and even then if the chair wasn't swung by Austin, Rock, or Undertaker, odds were that Kane wasn't down after one shot.

As far as not being able to do anything?

[youtube]3F-MR_65jVI[/youtube]

Because swinging a chair worked out reeeeeeeeeeally well for Christian didn't it?

Aside from that, Kane sucks. He's genuinely one of the sloppiest, most bumbling wrestlers I've ever seen. That alone gives the advantage to Piper. Who's to say that Kane doesn't slip and fall on weapons do to his poor coordination?

So now you're reduced to the subjective 'I think this way because it's my opinion argument,' well done. There are plenty of guys in this that I think were shit [Lex Lugar, Christian, Kevin Nash], doesn't mean I'm going to vote against them if the match was clearly in their favor.

Kane has had plenty of success in WWE, a hell of allot more than most, and a hell of allot more than Piper. He'd destroy Piper in a hardcore type environment.

I'm going to ask the exact same question I asked in the previous round, in a fight I admitted stood little chance; has there ever been a wrestler that existed for as long as Kane has, that has produced as much shitty television?

He was given ridiculous angles like Katie Vick and Lita Marriage and all. He still did his best to pull of whatever he could and did a good job.

Kane got a reprieve last round, being against a mainly mid card name.
Mind you, that'd imply that Kane isn't regularly a mid carded himself. But the point still stood, Regal was a mid carder. Piper was the main event heel of wrestling's best boom period. At his run at the top, he was Hogan's nemesis. For every boom period, the top face needs a credible heel to be his foil. Piper was that, during a period that launched the WWE as we now know it. Fuck, he became a household name during the era of Hogan. Piper is a trailblazer; Kane is your run of the mill monster, who gets an extended stay in the company because of who his gimmick is tied to.

Regal as good as he was, is nowhere in comparison to Kane's popularity which would take him over Regal in a one on one knockout tourney. Kane doesn't lose to the Regals of the world (I should patent this line). Truth be told I'm going through Piper's stats and when has he gone up against a man as big as Kane in a one on one contest?

At his top Piper was godly, and was gold in the ring. But I really don't approve of Kane as just a run of the mill monster. He wrestles a style that is well suited for him and it isn't like he is going to be producing PWI Matches of the Year, but for his size and style he is a very good wrestler. Has he had an extended stay because he has been Undertaker's perennial foil? Yes. But his character has kept morphing for someone who has been there for 15 years out of which maybe 5 were spent feuding with Taker, it's pretty good.

If we're arguing Piper isn't so great in a hardcore environment, this is Piper, who's gimmick is that he's a mad man that doesn't give a fuck. Do you really think he's going to stop after one or two chair shots?

Oh, and if you will, there's a dog collar match out there that says your wrong. Don't make me look for all those videos of bad Kane television; just vote Piper.

Was about to say that, and also there is the Steel Cage victory over Hogan at HHavoc 97.

In ECW, little guys with weapons win.

I love me some Kane and if this was WWE or WCW I would give my rebuttal, but Piper has a good win percentage in one on one extreme rules matches.

Piper goes on.

I'm backing Kane for this.

No doubt, Piper is one of the greatest talkers in the history of the business and of course his Piper's Pit segments were a factor in this. His match with Kane however isn't a segment where he can just smack Kane over the head after having had a chat with him for a few minutes, nor can he talk Kane into submission here.

Kane is a near 7 foot beast who didn't bat an eye at tombstoning an older woman on a metal stage. Give him weapons and a nice sizeable guy who he can beat on for a while and you have yourself a happy psychotic Kane.

ECW rules are definitely going to favor Piper. He knows he's up against a monster and will need to pull out all the stops to beat Kane.

I was looking for a reason to vote Piper, and this works.

Piper, heel or face, was as dirty as they come. Kane, in his prime, was an absolute monster, but his prime was so short compared to the rest of his career, it doesn't bother me to go in a different direction.

This wouldn't be a good match. It would stink. Think Kane vs. Big Show vs. Raven vs. Crash Holly vs. Hardcore Holly vs. Perry Saturn for the Hardcore strap. That's what this match would be.

Piper moves on.

As much as I would like to vote Kane, Piper has the obvious advantage. ECW rules could benefit both guys, but I think Piper more so. Piper was one dirty man. He knew how to use a weapon. Although, Kane knows how to take shots from a weapon, Piper will be to much for him at times.

Kane and Piper will have a very entertaining match. Piper will one up Kane and obtain the win

Only because this is an ECW match I am picking Kane to win the match. Piper is a better wrestler then Kane, but in an extreme rules match, Kane would outlast Piper and score the victory over a heavily bloodied Piper.

Winner- Kane

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back