Does Anyone Else Get The Feeling.....

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
that WWE is looking to have Miz break Jericho's record of 9 Intercontinental Championship wins?

As we all saw last night, Dean Ambrose defeated Miz to win the Intercontinental Championship for the 2nd time in his career; if they keep with the general pattern they had for the 3 months of 2016, then Miz will win the title for the 7th time within the next 35-45 days.

I thought Miz had a great year in 2016, quite possibly the overall best of his entire career. I could've done without he and Ziggler trading the title but the positives, in my opinion, vastly outnumber the negatives. Miz's 5th run lasted 188 days and I just find myself hoping that WWE doesn't start playing hot potato with the title, which is essentially what they were doing with Ambrose and Owens and Ryder's 1 day run. There are ways to keep this feud going that doesn't involve Ambrose dropping the title back to Miz, or dropping it at all until WrestleMania at least.

I don't know what reason they would have for doing so.

Records are made to be broken, as they say, and we have seen WWE re-write some records out of spite and will see that again at some point when they have someone topple Punk's title reign to scrub him from the record books.

But I'm not sure what reason would exist that they would feel the need to use Miz to scrub Jericho from the books since he's still active, doing some of the best work of his career, and is by most accounts an upstanding company guy.

I wonder if it's not to position Miz to be in the WWE World title picture at some point, and I think they are still trying to figure out just what/who Dean Ambrose is.

Just my thoughts.

I didn't realize until last night he was a 6 time Intercontinental Champion (I can only think of 4), but as soon as I heard that last night on commentary that's immediately where my head went.

I don't know if WWE is intentionally trying to have Miz break Jericho's record... it might just happen.

It depends where they go with Miz after this. Are they going to keep him where he is or are they going to elevate him? After watching Talking Smack last night I'm well fine with the latter, he's the best he's ever been. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll have an answer to that until sometime after the Rumble.

I think it's far more likely that it ends up NOT happening... at least for the foreseeable future unless they play some drastic game of hot potato, even more so than with the RAW Women's Championship. I don't think they have a plan for it, he's still 4 reigns away and that's quite a lot, he'd almost have to double what he has right now in order to do it. I think Ambrose is gonna have a decent reign with the title while the Miz once this feud ends moves on to the main event scene.

If Miz can pick up a reign or two in the next couple of years then I think they'll give some thought to the idea, but while he's still 4 reigns away? It seems unlikely.

After watching Talking Smack last night I'm well fine with the latter, he's the best he's ever been.

I agree. I think Miz is doing outstanding work all-around. It may be good enough to make most of us forget (or be willing to dismiss) that ridiculous fiasco surrounding Wrestlemania 27.

Miz is knocking it out of the park right now and would not at all be out of place in the title picture on SDL. I wouldn't even mind seeing Miz with the belt for a little while.

After watching talking smack, I have the feelings that this might be the beginning of the end for the miz on smackdown which would be sad because he's been the best performer on the smackdown roster since the brand splt and probably the best heel in the company.

I wouln't be surprise if he gets traded to raw soon or just move to raw by some lame reason they will create.

I don't think this is going to be the hot potato version of WWE Raw's Women's title. What I think this starts is getting Renee Young and Maryse back into the ring using Ambrose and Miz as a catalyst.

But what I would like to see is Miz move forward as the top star he is, Cena is going to lose at the Royal Rumble and Styles who makes an alright heel ( no where near Miz level) Styles isn't with the goofy ass bullet "wanna be NWO" club so he doesn't have much of a reason to be a heel when so many fans want to cheer for him.

As we have seen, John Cena doesn't need to prove anything, just come out and say "I got next" and bam championship match at Mania. He can chase Ric Flair anytime. Cena being gone has proven Smackdown doesn't need Cena. Miz, Ambrose, Styles and Corbin are carrying smackdown strong and don't require much from the rest of the roster.

Perfect time for Miz to chase his 3rd World title.

If the Miz is going to break any record, I'd much rather see him break Honky Tonk Man's historic 454 day as Intercontinental Champion. It'll further my theory that Miz's name belongs near the top of the list as greatest Intercontinental Champions of all time. As records are made to be broken, I wouldn't necessarily mind Miz breaking Jericho's record but here's to hoping he doesn't get the chance as he should be moved wayyyyyy up the card. He's ready for a World Championship reign no matter how crowded the main event picture is right now.
...and I just find myself hoping that WWE doesn't start playing hot potato with the title...
I really hope this isn't creative's way of continuing a feud nowadays. With Miz's ability on the mic, this feud can be continued flawlessly without playing hot potato with the title.
I wouln't be surprise if he gets traded to raw soon or just move to raw by some lame reason they will create.
I agree with you. The sooner they realize that Smackdown is the better place for this Miz the better off they'll be. If he's traded to Raw, by their recent booking, he'll go right back to the mid card. As great a year as 2016 was for The Miz, he deserves to remain on Smackdown as they'll likely do right by him.

I've been saying that I think The Miz and AJ Styles will face off at Wrestlemania for the WWE Championship. I think Styles retains at the Royal Rumble by beating Cena clean again. This time, the two shake hands and show respect for the feud they've had over the past 6 months or so. Styles slowly begins his turn and when Miz is named #1 Contender, becomes the fan favorite in that match.

The higher ups in the company love The Miz because he, like John Cena, goes above and beyond for the company. He does appearances, is literally never hurt, does garbage movies for the garbage that is WWE Studios, and right now is probably the most over heel in the company. They've let him shine since the brand split and if anyone has taken advantage of the brand split, it's him.

I too think The Miz will be WWE champion in near future, but right now is not the right time to push this button. I think what he does at Mania depends not only on his own work, but factors like Cena and Taker.

Look what we have right now - Cena goes vs Taker for WWE title in Mania's main event, if this is indeed the plan and Taker is healthy enough for 1 on 1 match.
Ambrose goes vs Ziggler for the IC Title.

Styles goes against The Miz, but i think they will add Corbin in a mix for #1 contendership or something. Corbin also being pushed hard right now, and the next week match with Cena will decide his near future for sure: Cena's opinion+being in a match against real main eventer.

If Taker is not, then we will have Taker vs Cena vs Styles, which is better then Taker/Cena only in my opinion, and Styles deserve a big match at WM.

Then it's probably Corbin vs Ziggler vs Ambrose vs Miz for IC title.

Miz also can go one on one with Bryan or Shane at WM.

Raw will give us Show vs Shaq, HHH vs Seth, Lesnar vs Goldberg, Jericho vs Owens and Reigns somewhere.

...it's funny, how many big names RAW have, still, most of them does appear only so often, and SD have better regular workers and better show as result

that WWE is looking to have Miz break Jericho's record of 9 Intercontinental Championship wins?

As we all saw last night, Dean Ambrose defeated Miz to win the Intercontinental Championship for the 2nd time in his career; if they keep with the general pattern they had for the 3 months of 2016, then Miz will win the title for the 7th time within the next 35-45 days.

I thought Miz had a great year in 2016, quite possibly the overall best of his entire career. I could've done without he and Ziggler trading the title but the positives, in my opinion, vastly outnumber the negatives. Miz's 5th run lasted 188 days and I just find myself hoping that WWE doesn't start playing hot potato with the title, which is essentially what they were doing with Ambrose and Owens and Ryder's 1 day run. There are ways to keep this feud going that doesn't involve Ambrose dropping the title back to Miz, or dropping it at all until WrestleMania at least.

I think it might be more that they're trying to get to a stage where at WM34 they can have Miz v Jericho for the honor of the 10th... it'd be a fitting last match for Jericho win, lose or draw and give him that "send off", especially if he's going into the HOF that year (letting him wrestle the match as a HOF'er makes sense, as does letting him win it...) and Miz can always do the "heel" take him out permanently after he loses to "end his career". Or they do it as a career match (although I can see that being the stip this year and Jericho beating Owens for the title...)

The Miz is actually the only active wrestler with most IC championship days under his belt. That's a big deal.

I don't really think they are having the Miz win and lose the title so much just to reach Jericho's. WWE never thinks that way. They just place the belt on who they like, or else Y2J would have gotten his 10th reign, just because of the number 10.

And no they definitely aren't planning on Miz vs Y2J for the 10th championship hahaha. Although it's a cool idea, but that's not WWE's way of doing things.

But I still can't understand why the Miz lost the belt, before WM season. I hope it is because WWE has something planned for him and not because they are not confident on his drawing ability, so they gave to Ambrose who is a fresh main eventer...

Im not a fan of Miz, but i give credit where credit is due, the guy has been doing an amazing job, the best work of his career.

He is solid in the ring, very good on the mic, and he actually knows how to get under people's skin.

The big problem with the miz was being pushed as WWE Champ so early in his career, his run as wwe champ was appaling. Now THIS miz, i can see holding the big one.

The only problem Miz has right now, is that his biggest nemesis, CANT compete. Miz vs DB would put mayor asses on sits, and it would solidify Miz as a big name.

I just find myself hoping that WWE doesn't start playing hot potato with the title, which is essentially what they were doing with Ambrose and Owens and Ryder's 1 day run. There are ways to keep this feud going that doesn't involve Ambrose dropping the title back to Miz, or dropping it at all until WrestleMania at least.

My question to that is can the WWE ever play 'hot potato' with a title and it not be a bad thing?

Why do so many critical fans seem to have a problem with a title changing hands occasionally more often than every 3-months?

I mean, basically 3-months is the cut off people usually give. If a title has been held for at least 3-months folks usually consider it a good run. But if a title switches hands back and forth within a month or two fans criticize it as 'hot potato' and 'ruins the credibility'.

But does it really? Or can it not actually depend on HOW it is won and lost and WHAT the story is?

If a face champion wins the title, then in the rematch loses it due to heel interference and the heel champ then has to defend at the next PPV but loses because the face challenger was able to overcome heel interference and then a new #1 contender is established while the previous heel champion finds a way to get involved in the face champions match and allows the new #1 contender to become champion all in the span of 3 months. What's wrong with that? IF the feud is intense and believable for the character? Doesn't make either side weak. Just shows how desperate the heel is to take the face down and how noble the babyface is to endure all the challenges.

Of course, as opposed to a bunch of seemingly random matches with no apparent storyline put together and titles changes hands a bunch of times in 3 months for more of a 'shock factor' reason than anything else. In that case, yes, I could see how 'hot potato' could be a problem.

I just saying that I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the title being won and lost a few times within a 2-3 month span IF the storyline and intensity is good.

Because as we all know, there have been wrestlers with LONG undefeated title runs that were VERY uninteresting and just because they held the title for a long time did NOTHING to increase the prestige or credibility of that title.

I don't think that it has anything to do with Miz breaking the no. of InterContinental title reigns of Chris Jericho.

Jericho is still active and isn't leaving WWE anytime soon, I guess. It could've happened if Jericho left WWE.

Plus, I think that WWE has a plan to end this Bryan Vs. Miz rivalry at Wrestlemania 33 probably. And that rivalry doesn’t need the InterContinental Title. So, I guess that The Miz is onto some bigger plans for Wrestlemania 33.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing The Miz break the record, I don't think WWE is currently trying to get him the record.

Besides, it's not as if this record means anything. A lot of Miz's reigns haven't meant anything. He defeated Wade Barrett at WM29 for the title but lost it the next night. He then had the first, less popular feud with Ziggler where they traded the title four times in two months. I'm not saying every reign has to be five or six months, but a title change for the sake of a title change is never a good thing. It really devalues the title and has made me not care for this record.

If Miz ever does get to nine, he should feud with Jericho to see who gets the 10th reign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back