WWE No Mercy: Title VS Career - The Miz VS Dolph Ziggler

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
It was announced tonight on SmackDown Live that Ziggler will get another shot at the Intercontinental Championship after agreeing to put his career on the line.

The downside with these sorts of matches is that we know that the champ will drop the title but the key will be doing enough during the match to generate some dramatic moments and cause the fans to hold their breaths for a second or so.

I've personally really enjoyed the Intercontinental Championship picture over the course of this year; I could have done without the 1 day Zack Ryder run but there've been far more positives than negatives. Miz has been a great heel Intercontinental Champion and, like most, I wasn't all that thrilled with the notion of him winning the title for the 5th time because WWE didn't do jack with him as champ during the four previous runs but it's been a pleasant surprise. I'm sort of feeling the same way in regards to Ziggler winning the title again, yet Miz's strong heel run as champ has made me more optimistic regarding a 5th run for Ziggler.

I suppose WWE could pull the wool over our eyes and have Ziggler lose, take some time off and show up around Royal Rumble time or WrestleMania season repackaged with a different look and name, but those are pretty long odds. So, the odds are extremely good that Miz's Never Ending Intercontinental Championship World Tour comes to an end on day 189 a week from Sunday.

I think Ziggler's time is up. I think his WWE career might come to an end. Maybe that's why he also got a championship match against Ambrose at Summerslam. WWE usually give its long running competitors championship matches before they leave.

I suppose WWE could pull the wool over our eyes and have Ziggler lose, take some time off and show up around Royal Rumble time or WrestleMania season repackaged with a different look and name, but those are pretty long odds. So, the odds are extremely good that Miz's Never Ending Intercontinental Championship World Tour comes to an end on day 189 a week from Sunday.

I really hope WWE don't go down this path, it makes the whole concept stupid. If it was a leave WWE match then maybe I would dig it but this is Zigglers career. WWE are in a tough situation though (well if you look at it that Ziggler won't actually be coming back if he loses) because Miz is doing such a wonderful job that it would suck to take the title of him, but if you have Ziggler lose then SD loses another very solid midcard superstar who can go to the main event (ADR being the other).

For me the best case scenario is to have Miz drop it and make his way to the world title. Ideally I don't want to see it happen but given the situation that it seems to be, that's what I want. Maybe you have Daniel Bryan interfere to help Ziggler get the win. That doesn't is really do much for Ziggler (it probably hurts him more than anything depending on what happened) but maybe it's an excuse to get Miz onto Raw or start their feud.

I know I'm taking Zigglers career on the line to literal but despite Ziggler being that guy who is just there to lose, with his career being on the line it makes me really excited to see what happens. Im stumped to how this could play out really. No lean either way.

I think Ziggler is probably leaving for good. It took 4 years, but Vince finally succeeded in killing Ziggler's career, burying him so deep that he no longer gets the reactions he used to. Vince's undying hatred for Ziggler sabotaged would could have been a Jericho-level career. Ziggler has all the tools to be THE top guy in the company, but Vince used the entire WWE machine to keep him down. No Mercy is probably the end of Ziggler's wrestling career.

I know Ziggler eats alot of crow on these forums for his excessive whining, justified by a chip on his shoulder. I'm mostly just feeling relief that this character traits has come to an interesting crossroads. Ziggler has fallen in my esteem in recent years due to his selling style, but on the right night he can still hold my attention with baited breath.

What a feather in the cap a victory would be for heel Miz. There's still a vocal portion of the audience supporting Ziggler, and to stomp that into the ground is akin to heel-perfection. Ziggler's stakes are going to be the story going forward, but let's not forget what could be in it for Miz in the big picture.

I would like to see one more piece of the puzzle added; Daniel Bryan. I sour easily on authority involvement, unless it makes sense. In this match, it absolutely makes sense. Bryan's history with Miz is well documented, and a potential Dolph loss would parallel Bryan's own career being cut short. Throwing him in the middle of this as a special guest referee would be a terrific story, especially if he was ultimately forced to count Dolph's shoulders to the mat. Wow.

Interesting pathos for Daniel Bryan, nuclear heat on the Miz, and as close to a storybook finish Dolph will ever get. Bittersweet, but the best case scenario.

I certainly hope Ziggler loses. Let him go away for a few years and see if he can tear it up on the independent scene. If he's as good as I've been told he should do well.

I think Ziggler is probably leaving for good. It took 4 years, but Vince finally succeeded in killing Ziggler's career, burying him so deep that he no longer gets the reactions he used to. Vince's undying hatred for Ziggler sabotaged would could have been a Jericho-level career. Ziggler has all the tools to be THE top guy in the company, but Vince used the entire WWE machine to keep him down. No Mercy is probably the end of Ziggler's wrestling career.

I hope so, if only for the desire to see less of your hyperbole laced, conspiratorial idiocy around the forums.

But it's unlikely. Usually if someone is leaving WWE there is some word ahead of time. And I've heard nothing of the sort. If DZ does happen to lose, I wouldn't be surprised to see DB come out and say that DZ isn't leaving for some reason. But DZ probably just wins outright anyway.

It's a shame though if he does leave. WWE just put the guy on the injury prone list back in 2013 and never ever gave him a push again, despite the fact that he's over. And let's face it, his promos are way better than Seth's or Reigns'.

What a strnage class the class of 2009-10 is though. A class of failures. Totally. Ziggler, Barrett, Sheamus, Rhodes, Dibiase, Miz. These are the guys that got pushes during that time and was the ones chosen to carry the WWE the next years. Not a single one of them became a noteworthy main eventer for a long period of time. And those who broke out, Punk and Bryan, are not wrestling any more.

That's a big gap in time that WWE had to fill.

I think it would be very stupid for them to take the title off of The Miz at this point. He literally JUST started building some real steam as IC Champion and is just now being focused on as a focal point of Smackdown, very deservedly so. His work with Daniel Bryan has been fantastic and I think this dynamic of Miz as IC Champ vs GM Daniel Bryan has some serious legs, maybe even long enough to culminate at Wrestlemania. Without the title, this feud kind of dies seeing as Bryan can't actually get in the ring anytime soon. Without the title, this just becomes DB picking on The Miz because he doesn't like him...

I don't know, having Ziggler beat Miz just seems like cutting the guy off at the knees at the exact time he's putting in the best work, probably of his career. Than again, I just can't see them putting Ziggler over here. Maybe he's taking a serious amount of time off and we haven't heard about it? I remember maybe a year or more ago, Dolph saying he had about 2-3 years left in his career so who knows, maybe he's actually retiring. Or the more likely option, Bryan brings Ziggler back down the road to get his ultimate revenge on The Miz.

Still, with all that being said, I wouldn't be that shocked to see Ziggler win here because of reasons.

As OYDK conveyed, Dolph Ziggler shouldn't be the one to dethrone The Miz who has been in the best phase of his career. Ziggler doesn't need this huge win.

But as Ziggler's career is on the line, I don't think that he loses this match and that's unfortunate. I want him to lose him the match but seeing him retired would sadden me. I get that he's been getting a lot of hate for his work lately but his booking has more contribution to it than Ziggler himself. The stale feuds with Baron Corbin and Rusev have only worsened his position to such a height that we couldn't take him seriously as a challenger to Dean Ambrose at Summerslam.

Just another thought: Could Ziggler turn heel and win this match? Or his rumoured stable debuts to help him win. I am dreaming I know.

If Ziggler wins the match without a turn, I would surely be disappointed. Same with him retiring.

I read a week ago his contract may be expiring next month and he chose not to resign. Would make sense to have this match and have it with one of his close friends in the business

I read a week ago his contract may be expiring next month and he chose not to resign. Would make sense to have this match and have it with one of his close friends in the business
I have read that report too. But here's another one:

26 June 2015 said:
According to PWInsider.com, WWE has re-signed Dolph Ziggler to a new multi-year contract, and the deal has been official for several weeks.

Ziggler’s status has been something of a hot topic in wrestling news over the past few weeks, as rumors began swirling that his contract with WWE was set to expire, and reports came out that he was at least considering his options for a post-WWE career. We were told that there were those in TNA prepared to offer the former world champion a substantial contract, and that several other promotions were also interested in working with him.

It would appear that at least for the next few years, the 34-year-old ‘Showoff’ and 4-time Intercontinental Champion is staying put with WWE.

So if above report is true, Ziggler isn't going anywhere soon. That just makes a Ziggler win much obvious now. I think that the report telling that Ziggler's contract expires in October isn't true.

I think everyone is overlooking the possibility of a dq finish. That keeps the belt on Miz, Ziggler keeps his job and the feud can continue while leaving the option of removing the career stipulation because of the dq

They didn't make that big announcement just to end the match on a DQ. Smackdown is better than that.
I agree.

It would be a lackluster result if this match ended via DQ. All the hype of Title Vs. Career would be gone. I hope that it isn't something like double countout either.

Either Miz's time as champion is over Or Ziggler's time as wrestler.

I don't really understand why everyone hates Ziggler. Sure he is not the one to take the rub from dethroning the Miz, because he doesn't need it. But think about these two other points:

a) How do you keep the Miz as the champion going forward without any viable contenders? For someone, other than an established name like Nakamura, to come from NXT and dethrone the Miz, that guy will first need months of build-up so that he can get the right exposure to the casual fans. What will the Miz do all this time? Feud with Kalisto?

b) Ziggler putting his career on the line, is the reason people talk about this. Ziggler is over with the fans. Imensively over. Did you hear the pop he got last night? Yeah yeah it was his hometown? So? Roman doesn't get those cheers even in his hometown. Ziggler has had big pops for years now.

Sure, I don't agree with the decision to put the belt on Ziggler, but c'mon, the way the story's been going and all that passion that Ziggler has shown the past months, it will be a great hero ending. Because that's what wrestling is. A story, where heroes come out on top at the end. And I won't mind if Ziggler gets that hero comeback. Like I won't mind if he doesn't and Miz just wins and gains super extra heat. Either way, I'm happy.

I think that his contract really is expiring and that he will take some time off.

My guess is that he will return at the Royal Rumble to a huge pop, when only The Miz is standing in the ring and cuts a promo about how damn good he is.

I just watched a best of 7 series with a title shot at the end, go 7 matches, and end in a no contest w/ a tag title shot for what was supposed to be a brutal rivalry.

People booking Raw are the same people booking Smackdown.

This could totally just be another swerve finish where Dolph wins by DQ, justifying he still has it to himself (Groan), while not taking the title off the man who needs to keep holding it longer. I have no faith in WWE ever giving us expected results, they're always looking for loopholes for things like this because they think it's creative or unique and the fans never saw it coming.

I just watched a best of 7 series with a title shot at the end, go 7 matches, and end in a no contest w/ a tag title shot for what was supposed to be a brutal rivalry.

People booking Raw are the same people booking Smackdown.

This could totally just be another swerve finish where Dolph wins by DQ, justifying he still has it to himself (Groan), while not taking the title off the man who needs to keep holding it longer. I have no faith in WWE ever giving us expected results, they're always looking for loopholes for things like this because they think it's creative or unique and the fans never saw it coming.

No no, they definetaly are not the same people. Smackdown's head writter is a former NXT writter. I think RAW has the old creative team, hence why RAW is still giving us the same old shit.

Are we watching the same show? Smackdown has been firing on all creative cylinders lately. I mean, I don't blame you for being a little jaded after the past few years of 50-50 booking with faux-cliffhanger finishes, but I'd hope the shift in creative on Smackdown could at least give you a glimmer of hope.

I'm torn. I don't want Ziggler to be the one to end Miz's reign, because this has been the best IC reign I have seen in years. It has been Miz's best work, since his world title reign, and possibly best ever. Ziggler just doesn't seem to be the right pick to dethrone Miz.

On the other side, I am really looking forward to attending Survivor Series, and Dolph Ziggler is someone that I would love to see there. I don't care if it's a traditional 5 on 5 or whatever, I just know Dolph would put on a great show.

I don't want a dq or countout finish. This match is so intriguing, but I feel that I will be upset no matter the outcome.

I think it would be very stupid for them to take the title off of The Miz at this point. He literally JUST started building some real steam as IC Champion and is just now being focused on as a focal point of Smackdown, very deservedly so. His work with Daniel Bryan has been fantastic and I think this dynamic of Miz as IC Champ vs GM Daniel Bryan has some serious legs, maybe even long enough to culminate at Wrestlemania. Without the title, this feud kind of dies seeing as Bryan can't actually get in the ring anytime soon. Without the title, this just becomes DB picking on The Miz because he doesn't like him...

I don't know, having Ziggler beat Miz just seems like cutting the guy off at the knees at the exact time he's putting in the best work, probably of his career. Than again, I just can't see them putting Ziggler over here. Maybe he's taking a serious amount of time off and we haven't heard about it? I remember maybe a year or more ago, Dolph saying he had about 2-3 years left in his career so who knows, maybe he's actually retiring. Or the more likely option, Bryan brings Ziggler back down the road to get his ultimate revenge on The Miz.

Still, with all that being said, I wouldn't be that shocked to see Ziggler win here because of reasons.

Yeah, if Miz was to beat Ziggler, it'd draw even more heat. Maybe with Ziggler losing this match, it could be a way to get him on RAW.

First of all, Ziggler is not going to RAW. It was clear in the promo when Miz said "No RAW or NXT right?" or something like that.

I'd also like to add, Miz losing to Ziggler just frees so much space in the midcard. Why?
Because there's noone there to end the Miz's reign other than Ziggler. Just face the facts. Next midcard babyface opponent for the the Miz is Kane. So no.

The wrestler that is ready to come up from NXT and has a martketable name and will probably come up is Samoa Joe. Joe is a heel. Smackdown needs Samoa Joe. Samoa Joe needs someone worthy to start a feud with. Who's that? Dolph Ziggler.
Tell me you don't want a Ziggler vs Joe feud to begin.

Also, with Ziggler as champ we can get Ziggler vs Bray, vs Rowan, vs Crews, vs Corbin for a short period. You know, the guys that will have no direction in a month because they will have nothing to do if the Miz is a champion.

What I predict is that Miz loses the belt to Ziggler. Then there's a team Miz vs team Bryan at Survivor Series. And then Miz starts a feud with Ambrose while Styles will be feuding with Orton and Wyatt maybe. And that's just very logical to me. Miz will move up the card and the midcard title will return to being a midcard title. End of story.

So if Ziggler wins, don't go nuts people. It's storytelling and it shows some actual long term thinking on behalf of SD's writting team.

Right now, the Miz doesn't need the IC title. He's got a lot going for him, especially in recent months. Sure, it's all been built around him being the IC champ, but there are ways around everything.

Based on the ending of their last two matches, I suspect we'll see some sort of cheat tactic by Ziggler to win. He's been teasing a major career change in recent weeks. I could easily see them team him up with one of the women who would help get him the win.

It's out of left field, but what about Nikki Bella? There was their situation on Total Divas last season.

And if you think about it, Ziggler was at his best, arguably, when he was paired with A.J. and Big E.

I think WWE pulls a swerve and have Dolph Ziggler win and Miz wins it back on the SDL after No Mercy.

Miz winning the title back would get good heat for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back