• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Daniel Bryan & CM Punk Reference ROH

Martin Gabriel

Pre-Show Stalwart
The handshake between CM Punk and Daniel Bryan before their match of RAW was paying respect to the Ring Of Honor "Code of Honor" handshake that takes place before many of the ROH matches.

CM Punk retweeted a fan that made mention of it as well as former WWE star Lance Storm tweeted:

"Do you think anyone in the office got the "Code of Honor" handshake between Punk and Bryan"

It was awesome.

How has his character been flip flopped? He's been a full fledged heel for like a month.

How has his character been flip flopped? He's been a full fledged heel for like a month.

Flip-flop perhaps isn't the best phrase. Let's say that WWE haven't "committed themselves to the push". He's supposed to be a heel, right? Why is he shaking CM Punk's hand? Why is Cole still criticising him? Why is he still on the face team in tag team matches?

I wouldn't say he's a fully-fledged heel at all, and that's hurting him.

Flip-flop perhaps isn't the best phrase. Let's say that WWE haven't "committed themselves to the push".

He's world champion, getting way more mic time than when he was face with more personallity and in the span of a week he has gone over Mark Henry, Big Show and CM Punk. How much more can they commit?

He's supposed to be a heel, right?

Correct. And he is one.

Why is he shaking CM Punk's hand?

It's a tiny reference towards their past together in Ring Of Honor. They mentioned before their match that they're friends. It means nothing really.

Why is Cole still criticising him?

Michael Cole is hating the guy that has insulted him on several occasions, attacked him several times and openly mocked him when he won the title? Hardly a shock. Cole said on RAW anyways that he's beginning to like Bryan's views of seeing himself as a role model.

Why is he still on the face team in tag team matches

Because he is the lesser of two evils in a feud with Mark Henry. Plus it helped consolidate his heel turn by having him run with his tail between his legs from Henry.

I wouldn't say he's a fully-fledged heel at all, and that's hurting him.

I would. He's getting massive heat from crowds. They hate him & he's using his injured girlfriend as a reason to try and get pity from the crowd(Which obviously is failing). He's Kurt Angle levels of arrogant & Benoit levels of submission expertise with about 1/4 his intensity. What about that isn't fully fledged?

He's world champion, getting way more mic time than when he was face with more personallity and in the span of a week he has gone over Mark Henry, Big Show and CM Punk. How much more can they commit?

They could, y'know, treat him like a proper heel.

Correct. And he is one.

To an extent.

It's a tiny reference towards their past together in Ring Of Honor. IT means nothing.

If that is true, do you think that's how the casual fan sees it? No, they see Daniel Bryan respecting one of the top babyfaces in the company.

Michael Cole is hating the guy that has insulted him on several occasions, attacked him several times and openly mocked him when he won the title? Hardly a shock.

Yes, but Bryan's supposed to be a heel. Not only does it send out mixed messages, it deprives Bryan of a nice little rub from the hated Michael Cole.

This is wrestling, people change their allegiances at the drop of a dime.

Cole said on RAW anyways that he's beginning to like Bryan's views of seeing himself as a role model.

I must have missed that. What I didn't miss was Cole constantly calling him a nerd.

Because he is the lesser of two evils in a feud with Mark Henry. Plus it helped consolidate his heel turn by having him run with his tail between his legs from Henry.

The World Heavyweight Champion should not be the "lesser of two evils". If he's a heel, he should be the heel that takes precedence. Also, a heel running from a (far more over) heel doesn't generate that much heat.

I would. He's getting massive heat from crowds. They hate him & he's using his injured girlfriend as a reason to try and get pity from the crowd(Which obviously is failing).

I wish he was getting good heat, but he just isn't. I have no idea what shows you've been watching.

Look, I can see what WWE are doing, I can see how it's reminiscent of early Kurt Angle.I think it's great. But this kind of push just confuses the casual fan.

They could, y'know, treat him like a proper heel.

They do. As a chickenshit one. Like how he should be booked since he's not tall or intimidating.

To an extent.

He is a heel regardless. He's not saving faces, appealing to the crowd or winning fairly. He's being a pompous dick.

If that is true, do you think that's how the casual fan sees it? No, they see Daniel Bryan respecting one of the top babyfaces in the company.

Remember backstage before the match when they talked about how they were friends and how they've known each other for years? Yeah. They can respect one another and how far they've come.

Yes, but Bryan's supposed to be a heel. Not only does it send out mixed messages, it deprives Bryan of a nice little rub from the hated Michael Cole.

Not all heels should like other heels. Even when Jerry Lawler was at his optimum heel there were a few heels even he hated.

This is wrestling, people change their allegiances at the drop of a dime.

True. But how people react isn't based on Michael Cole. He praises Cena quite regularly and do people listen to Michael Cole's word as canon? No. Anyways is it bad for the most hated guy in the company to hate on another heel? Should that not make us realize how much of a dick this guy is?

I must have missed that. What I didn't miss was Cole constantly calling him a nerd.

He didn't say it that much during the match.

The World Heavyweight Champion should not be the "lesser of two evils". If he's a heel, he should be the heel that takes precedence. Also, a heel running from a (far more over) heel doesn't generate that much heat.

So a chickenshit heel should openly stand up to, and gain an advantage against a monster heel? And yes it does generate much more heat when the team he ditches includes faces.

I wish he was getting good heat, but he just isn't. I have no idea what shows you've been watching.

Exhibit A:
A section from one of the previous Smackdown tapings reports:
*World champ Daniel Bryan comes out first for a promo. Explains that what the Big Show did last week was a sin and that he pretended to be sorry. The crowd is all over Bryan as a heel. Bryan is awesome in this role. He says AJ put herself in that position because she loves him. He says Show should do the right thing and just quit. Don't know how this will come off on TV but the crowd hates this guy.

Exhibit B:
[YOUTUBE]zkCKh6s7Pgs[/YOUTUBE]

Look, I can see what WWE are doing, I can see how it's reminiscent of early Kurt Angle.I think it's great. But this kind of push just confuses the casual fan.

No it doesn't. It makes them hate the guy who is a constant coward yet acts as if he is beating people people fair and square and gloats about it when he is actually getting intentionally DQ'd, winning by the skin of his teeth or being a victim of circumstance. He is so irritating in fact that even Michael Cole, a hate figure who bonds with just about any heel, hates him and picks and mocks his weak points such as how he is a "nerd".

I love Bryan. I've watched the guy since ROH and he has been in roles like this before and they have worked. That being said, he's probably not gonna retain the title in the Elimination Chamber which is a damn shame.

Ring Of Honor, the third largest North American wrestling promotion.

And, in the course of this CHIKARA invasion type angle they're going with, they will be pushed back to fourth. Y'know, once people realize CHIKARA is a superior brand...

Bryan's not a fully-fledge heel yet. They keep teasing it, but the fact that the fans are already booing him makes it a little stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back