Could the World heavyweight Championship become the biggest title in the wwe?

Jstrike

Pre-Show Stalwart
With John cena returning to face alberto del rio for the world heavy weight championship it's almost certain that the whc will get more exciting than usual.
its even kinda hard to hear that john cena will hold the 2nd most important championship in the wwe! I for one am excited for 1 the whc may get interesting again. and Super cena won't be wwe champion when he returns!
so if john cena win's the world heavyweight championship will that championship become the biggest championship for the wwe? Kinda Makes me think!

The WWE isn't going to have Cena hold the title. They need:

A. Something to attract more viewers after the last few PPVs haven't had as many buys like the company had hoped.

B. A buffer to get the belt off a heel and back onto another heel.

I wouldn't even be all that shocked if Cena wasn't even at the PPV and this was a cheap ploy to get more customers out of desperation.

The WWE Championship is still miles ahead of the World Championship when it comes to prestige. Even if John Cena wins and goes to the next pay per view with it, the WWE Championship will still be the premier title.

And who is to say John Cena is walking out champion? It's looking more and more likely that either-

A. Sandow cashes in on a legitimately injured Cena or
B. Del Rio does his finisher on Cena and keeps him sidelined

It doesn't look good for the World Championship still to be honest.

The WWE isn't going to have Cena hold the title. They need:

A. Something to attract more viewers after the last few PPVs haven't had as many buys like the company had hoped.

B. A buffer to get the belt off a heel and back onto another heel.

I wouldn't even be all that shocked if Cena wasn't even at the PPV and this was a cheap ploy to get more customers out of desperation.

Exactly. I dont understand why there are so many ppl believing cena is gonna win the strap and carry it for months and that the title prestige will be restored. The title itself is cluster****. Nobody can restore credibility overnight. Even if cena wins and carry it for few months, which he wont cause he will be inserted back to the corporate storyline, who is he gonna drop it to? some midcarder? del rio again? The world title will once again be contended by a bunch of midcarders. So whats the difference?

I dont think many ppl understand why the world title have been devalued to a midcard title in the first place. Its because the guys holding it and competing for it are midcarders. The title does not define the man, the man defines the title.

No, but they could be headed toward a unification storyline again as was rumoured a while back. If cena doesn't drop the whc (assuming he wins) and holds it, if Bryan has the WWE title then if they decide to unify them the storyline is already there. The WWE guy vs the Indy guy again, but this time they are both champions. Cena vs Bryan was good the first time around, and even though if it were to happen Bryan would probably turn heel, it could be another good match

IF Cena wins the title then it becomes more important and relevant. Having the number one guy hold the belt shows it is of value and they want people to be interested in it. That is an obvious contrast to having Del Rio as champ.

I highly doubt that Cena is walking out as champ but if he did, his sheer presence helps solve the ongoing World Heavyweight Championship problem.

Not by a long shot. Basically, this is meant as a vehicle for Cena to win on a fluke, and Damian Sandow to cash in MITB. YOU'RE WELCOME.

It's already happened. From 2003 to early 2005 The WHC was ahead of the WWE title. That was when it was on Raw and dominated by Triple H.

Cena will lose it to Sandow and be "re-injured" because Del Rio will lock him in the arm bar to an extended amount of time before the cash in... BUT!

The way I see it, Cena holding the title almost makes it the most prestigious title in the company at that moment. That's just the reality. Wrestlers not only want the title, they want to go through the face of the company to get to it. Cena is the face of the company.

But he'll be back in the WWE Title picture when he really returns at the Rumble.

World Heavyweight Championship has lost a lot of its prestige in last couple years. While inserting Cena in the WHC picture may generate some initial interest and hype in the WHC, there is no way it can be sustained till it's booked that way. The World title has been a vehicle to elevate midcarders to upper midcard for better part of last 2 years. As so many have said, I see this going down as Sandow going over injured Cena. Even a tainted win over Cena would provide some much needed momentum for Sandow.

Somewhere down the line, I am fully expecting Cody to be in the thick of the action around WHC. Cena is just the medium to generate some interest in Sandow's eventual WHC reign.

Could care less beside the point I want anyone beside Del Rio as champion, there is no one I dislike more on WWE tv than Del Rio. I have no clue why the guy has been champion this long. I doubt Mexican fans love him as much as people make it out to be. Mysterio is and was a fan favorite, haven't seen that interest drawn from Del Rio.

Beside that on topic. Wasn't Cena suppose to be out until at least next year. If Cena actually does show up and wrestler then either his injury was a work for time off, or it wasn't that bad of an injury, or its some way of having Cena "return too early" and reinjury his arm cause of Del Rio's submission. Either way the only guy I see winning the world title next is Sandow.

Now I could be wrong, maybe Cena returns and it leads to the title vs title match we thought might of happened last year. Who knows.

The title does not define the man, the man defines the title.

I've never agreed with that statement. The title makes the man. Being the World Heavyweight Champion or WWE Champion should always be the goal of any WWE Superstar. No one wrestler should EVER be treated as more important than the championship he holds or strives for.

If this is legitimate and Cena is actually returning to the WWE at Hell In A Cell in reasonable health, he will win the World Heavyweight Championship and put ADR out to pasture. And there's no way in hell that he is returning from injury early (allegedly) only to be cashed in on by someone like Damian Sandow. It simply isn't happening.

And if Cena does end up holding the WHC, it will quickly become the biggest title in WWE. Simply put, he is the premiere guy in WWE whether the haters choose to like it or accept it, and as such, any title he holds will become the biggest prize in the business. People seem to forget that there have been times in the past where the WHC was more significant than the WWE strap. Don't people remember when the WHC title was featured on RAW and was held by such guys as Triple H, while the WWE strap was on SD and held by guys like JBL? That was the situation for a significant period of time and in fact only changed once Cena won the WWE championship and took it to RAW when he was drafted there.

If WWE is serious about elevating the WHC again, or even unifying the two titles in the forseeable future, how better to do so than putting the title on the biggest name in the current professional wrestling business? And people will definitely care about the World Heavyweight Championship again once Cena wins it, Taker wins the Royal Rumble, and John Cena versus The Undertaker, for the World Heavyweight Championship, happens at Wrestlemania 30.

I think your all off and not seeing the long term plan and payoff with Cena as the WHC at WMXXX.

This sets up Cena Vs Taker perfectly, allowing Taker to headline, face Cena, and leave WMXXX as the champ.

Think of the build for this with Cena as champ, it ads intrigue, and creates doubt.

This is obviously just speculation, however it ads value and prestige to the WHC and a great storyline.

If Cena held a box of pop tarts that box of pop tarts would be worth more than the WWE championship on Daniel Bryan. Cena would defend that box of pop tarts in the main event while DB would have to have gimmick matches with special referees to add appeal to his title bouts. Cena could main event a ppv simply discussing who he will share his box of pop tarts with. So yes the WHC could be the top belt but only if it's held by John Cena.

With The Right Feud and Right Talent Theirs A Chance If I Were To Have A World Heavyweight Champion It Would Be A Heel Cody Rhodes And The Feud Would Be Cody Rhodes Vs Dolph Ziggler or Even A Face Cody Rhodes vs A Heel Damien Sandow As The Champion Both Work and Put These Young Guys on The Map.

He will get cashed in on by Sandow, so NO!
That's why I think.

But even without the Sandow-factor, Cena holding the belt doesn't make it the biggest title. The original design saw ambiguity surround the matter of which is the superior title. The brands were split and rarely interacted. Sometimes the WHC title headlined the PPV, sometimes the other one. Matter of fact they even had separate PPVs for the most part.
So with two distinct brand entities there was no definitive number one. As far as I was concerned the superior title was whichever belt happened to be featured on the flagship show, RAW (which frequently changed due to the draft).
But when the brand split ended it became all too clear which title is the real one and which is the distant number 2. Hell, then-WWE champion CM Punk even flat out said that very thing to then-WHChampion Sheamus and Sheamus didn't even deny it. It is all but official.

And Cena won't change that. Nor should he. And don't give me the old argument that "the wrestler makes the title, not the other way around" - while the principle is (or should be) true, don't tell me Cena walking around with, say, the U.S. title would make that one the most prestigious belt in the WWE. The only way to make the WHC as relevant (or more relevant than) the WWE title would be to split the brands again and have the WHC on RAW.

That being said, I'm still against unifying the belts. The IC and US titles are dead and irrelevant and cannot be revived. Every now and then someone seems to get a heartbeat out of them, but next thing you know somone like Kofi Kingston wins it for the xth time and it's dead again. POOF.

So, if you must, unify the US and IC belts, or get rid off them altogether, but leave the WHC alone. It's good to have something like what back in the golden age used to be the IC title.

As far as I was concerned the superior title was whichever belt happened to be featured on the flagship show, RAW (which frequently changed due to the draft).
But when the brand split ended it became all too clear which title is the real one and which is the distant number 2. Hell, then-WWE champion CM Punk even flat out said that very thing to then-WHChampion Sheamus and Sheamus didn't even deny it. It is all but official.

The only way to make the WHC as relevant (or more relevant than) the WWE title would be to split the brands again and have the WHC on RAW.

Fans like you are the reason the World Heavyweight Championship means nothing now. Vince wants the fans to believe that whichever championship is defended on RAW is the superior title, and you believe whatever he tells you. The quality of storylines and matches, and history, are what should determine which is the top championship. Since 2005 the World Heavyweight Championship has had more five-star quality matches for it, the wrestlers in the World title picture clearly work harder to put on a great show, and the WWE Championship picture revolves constantly around a tiny handful of guys. The World title has been the superior title for a long time now, no matter how much Vince tries to bury it.

Fans like you are the reason the World Heavyweight Championship means nothing now. Vince wants the fans to believe that whichever championship is defended on RAW is the superior title, and you believe whatever he tells you. The quality of storylines and matches, and history, are what should determine which is the top championship. Since 2005 the World Heavyweight Championship has had more five-star quality matches for it, the wrestlers in the World title picture clearly work harder to put on a great show, and the WWE Championship picture revolves constantly around a tiny handful of guys. The World title has been the superior title for a long time now, no matter how much Vince tries to bury it.
:lmao: You're right, kid. People like me are the problem. We don't take wrestling too seriously. It's almost as if we think wrestling is (*GASP*) fake, so we accept what is presented an try to enjoy it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If more fans had the "It's real to me, dammit"-attitude, the WWE would be forced to present a more logically structured product. However that's not going to happen. Ever. Might as well learn to live with it.
RAW is the much more important show, so whatever title was defended on RAW was more important at that time. That's just the way it was. Don't kill the messenger. :p

Dear God, do people on the internet ever stop complaining. No? Okay, carry on.

They want unpredictability. Cena coming back 4-5 months early isn't unpredictable enough? They want the WHC to be a main event title again. Having Cena compete for the title doesn't make it main event, even though you know Cena's return is going to close the show over Orton vs. Bryan III. I hate you. I hate you all.

Anyway, the World Title has had periods of being more important than the WWE title. As people pointed out, most of the time it was on Raw, it was the biggest title in wrestling. When it went from Triple H to HBK to Triple H to Goldberg to Triple H to Chris Benoit to Triple H to Batista. Yes, that is a shit ton of Triple H, but the guy made the title feel big when he was going over every WCW talent the WWE had while wearing suits and having Ric Flair "Wooo!" for him.

There was also a time period on Smackdown where the WHC felt as big a deal as the WWE title did on Raw, during the whole Undertaker/Batista/Edge love triangle. So yeah, the WHC does have its moments of greatness.

Could Cena make the World Title a big deal again? Sure. He wouldn't even have to try very hard. Have Cena beat Del Rio, have Sandow cash-in, then have Cena talk about how much he wants his title back. Boom, the WHC matters.

Will that happen? I don't know. It's impossible to tell what condition John Cena is in and whether or not he can even put on a proper match at the moment. But WWE do want to put the title on a face before Sandow cashes in. I mean, the last time a heel cashed in on a heel was Jack Swagger beating Chris Jericho. And how did that go?

But if they want Sandow cashing in to seem like a huge deal (which he needs after having such a bad few months) then his only option is to cash in on Cena. RVD would've felt like a pretty big deal, but RVD is leaving. Christian is injured and no one particularly cares. Cody and Ziggler aren't even close. Beating Cena for the WHC is the biggest win you could get, even if it is just Money in the Bank. So yeah, I am hoping Cena is well enough to do this programme with Sandow to make Smackdown exciting again.

well as i see it in my humble opinion the WHC is the most prestigious title if we look at the history of who has held that title but in all truth it seems to me this is just a way to bring the brand split back and/or unifying the titles.

heres my idea: cena beats del rio and sandow cashes in eventually cena gets title and d bry wins at hiac but somehow randy gets title back this sets up vince vs. hhh/steph wit vince having his guys (cena mcintyre and others on smackdown) and the authority having raw sets up wm 30 quite nice

:lmao: You're right, kid. People like me are the problem. We don't take wrestling too seriously. It's almost as if we think wrestling is (*GASP*) fake, so we accept what is presented an try to enjoy it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

If more fans had the "It's real to me, dammit"-attitude, the WWE would be forced to present a more logically structured product. However that's not going to happen. Ever. Might as well learn to live with it.
RAW is the much more important show, so whatever title was defended on RAW was more important at that time. That's just the way it was. Don't kill the messenger. :p

I firmly believe that if WWE were to cater to the "it's real to me" crowd, one there wouldn't be a WWE and WHC title (nor would there be a US and IC title), you'd have one major title for each division and the product "to be real" would work a lot more like a UFC. Not in terms of real fights, but structure of laddering opponents and champions. Like, you wouldn't have the same two people consistently vying for the title for months. If the challenger lost, they'd have to fight up the ranks again to earn a shot, or at least fight up *some* of the ranks and not just one No. 1 contender match.

Well, there was a time when the WHC was very prestigious, so i don't see why it couldn't be very important again, either that or they are trying to push Alberto del Rio, another option could be what many posters arew saying and could be a way for Sandow to cash in against the WWE's biggest superstar, or like another poster said, it could be a way to unify the titles.....

On a different thing, why do people keep mentioning Cody Rhodes as a top title holder? The guy is not good enough to be a main eventer, the current angle he has now will get stale very quick and it will be another wasted oportunity on him, get over it people.......

If you're looking to add prestige to the WHC, John Cena's at the top of the list in terms of available talent. The ONLY way to add prestige to championships is to put the belt on the guy the crowd goes craziest for, and have him compete believably against strong challengers. Cena's that guy, if he can hold onto the belt until WrestleMania then its stock value rises greatly. The only other talents in the company who might add some credibility and value to the title are established wrestlers at the top of their game. I'd also go to bat for a CM Punk WHC run, a Ryback run, Rob Van Dam, Ziggler or Daniel Bryan. All of those talents get strong crowd responses and wrestle at a level that's almost unmatched. Raising prestige is equal parts talent and booking though, so until creative irons out all the kinks (like firing lazy TV scriptwriters and hiring creative, intelligent wrestling fans) we are going to see title prestige take a nose dive whenever laziness sets in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back