Is the World Heavyweight Championship bigger then the WWE Championship?

SJM12492

SAVE_US.Y2J
Y'know this is something I sure some of you have been wondering as well as I have. Do the WWE take more prestige and worth into the World Heavyweight Championship more then the WWE Championship?
In my opinion the WWE Championship should be the dominant world championship in the WWE, because it's been around for generations and has the biggest history of any other championship... However, I'm starting to think that the WWE put the World Heavyweight Championship above the WWE Championship. I don't really mind, personally I love the World Heavyweight Championship...
I say this because a few things have me thinking... Most of the PPVs lately have the WWE Championship being defended as the 3rd to last match when they leave the World Heavyweight Championship for last. Also, when you look at roster pages on WWE.com, whenever both world championships are on one brand, the World Heavyweight Champion is the top on the list of champions... Same with Elimination Chamber, WWE Championship, before the World Heavyweight Championship...

What do you guys think?

In my opinion the WWE Championship should be the dominant world championship in the WWE, because it's been around for generations and has the biggest history of any other championship...

Problem is the World Heavyweight Championship was founded in NWA 15 years prior to the WWE championship, and yes I would go as far as to carry its legacy back to NWA, because the WWE chooses to do exactly that in their DVD about it.
And personally I don't really mind seeing any of the world championships being defended at any given time on the card, I don't mind seeing the WWE championship being defended as the first, the 4th or the 100th (if the card ever goes that far)

The list of champions on WWE.com I think is a somewhat simple choice, I don't think it's something about putting one title over the other, I just think they place it somewhere for the sake of placing it.

Besides, didn't WWE have the WWE championship defended as the last title on the card around the first years of the WWE world heavyweight championship version? I believe so.
Hell it was defended before the WWE title at Wrestlemania 25

And I think some of the matches placement is all depending on how they find it fitting to put it last because of the magnitude of the match, the fact that it would be the obvious match for people to watch etc. it's all about keeping people around.

So I don't think the World Heavyweight Championship is bigger, or smaller than the WWE championship to be quite honest, I believe it is treated equal to a certain degree of what's possible to treat equal.

I think the main reason the world heavyweight championship is not bigger is because RAW is seen as the superior brand and the WWE Title is on RAW. It has been that way since the brand split with the titles. When HHH was WHC off and on for two years, you could barely remember who was the WWE Champion on Smackdown because nobody cared or watched even though it's arguable they had better wrestling. RAW has always been superior to Smackdown and whatever title is on that brand will be deemed as bigger than the other one.

To me, I think its kind of a trend. It can seem to go in waves. It may depend on who is holding the belt. You kind of notice who may be on what show or competing for it. I personally think that Smackdown lately has had some of the better competition for the belt lately. Edge, Y2J, Punk, Mysterio, Undertaker, etc. Then on Raw, Cena, HHH, Cena, HHH, Sheamus :)wtf:), Orton, Orton, HHH, Batista. I really do think it comes and goes in waves. But there will be some people who will stick with just one show and one show only. I still will watch both shows no matter what and will want to see each belt competition.

Reactions: Lee
It's clear the WHC is bigger, just look at it. Though the ECW may be bigger as Henry wore it. However I will assume you mean by prestige.

It's a weird one as it keeps changing, initially this was a continuation of the WCW belt, and in turn the NAW belt. That is a great legacy there. However the current belt was brought in in 2002 and AWARDED to HHH. So we shall have a look at the breakdown shall we?

In that time (8 years) there have been thirty five reigns. Using my wonderful mathematics skills that gives us an average reign of 78 days. There have been 14 different champions. Using again my mathematics skills this would on average by 2.5 reigns at a rate of 192 days as average combined reign. Also to note that this title has been vacated four times in eight years. That of course is an average of Once every two years.

In keeping with fair's fair, lets look at the WWE championship in the same period of time. Going from July 2002 until today there have been thirty one reigns, with a total of thirteen different champions. That in turn is an average of 80 days per reign and an average of 192.7 combined reign total. In that time the belt has been vacated twice which in turn is an average of one every four years.

However it is very interesting to note that on three occasions (Triple H, Randy Orton and John Cena) the WWE championship was lost on the night, however the WHC was only lost once on the same night (Jeff Hardy).

Another thing I've noticed is how the WWE title seems to be the one for the surprises at the moment where the WHC is the one that has the longer term effect of the prestige. That being what I thought of before I did the maths equations, however looking at it, they're pretty much equal. Though to me the WWE title is most associated with Cena where the WHC is the generic championship, if that makes sense.

I think the main reason the world heavyweight championship is not bigger is because RAW is seen as the superior brand and the WWE Title is on RAW.

Both WWE title holders are on SD!

Also, when you look at roster pages on WWE.com, whenever both world championships are on one brand, the World Heavyweight Champion is the top on the list of champions...
that is because World comes before WWE alphabetically. also, i think that they are completely separate and equal titles. the WWE may have more history, but so what? you can say the same thing about the IC and US title, and the WWE and World tag titles (even if they are combined), and the women's and diva's titles.

I think WWE "trys" to treat both the titles as equal. But if i had to choose which title to have, i would go the World Heavyweight title. That title hasn't really changed as much as the WWE Championship has. The WWE title i think needs to change again, i liked the attitude era WWE Championship best. With that said, the Heavyweight title hasn't changed since it's been in WWE, it's kept the same look, although the title itself has been changed, the look is still the same and when you look at that title, you think of the NWA and of WCW. When you look at the WWE title, you think of when Cena debuted the spinner belt.

If you look into the WCW heritage of the belt the only thing that brings it down was when it was handed to David Arquette, which killed both his acting career and the organisation in my opinion.

But its time in the WWE has raised the belt look at the killer matches you had for the title, when it was on raw Trips defended it non stop, you had guys like Goldberg, Shawn Michaels, Chris Benoit, Randy Ortan and even John cena holding the belt.

The Championship now has become smackdowns wrestling Championship and has propelled stars like CM Punk into the main event picture, The Undertaker has held that belt none stop before dropping it to one of the best heels in the business, and so far i feel that the belt should headline wrestlemania due to the fact that Edge Vs Jericho will be a far better match then Batista vs Cena, this belt has a tone of prestige and is contested fiercly in the WWE.

Now look at the WWE championship, the belt has one hell of a legacy being held by guys such as the Rock, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan all the way to guys like Jericho, Cena, Edge but what has it accomplished at the moment?, the title has played hot potato being thrown on guys like Cena (who doesnt really need the belt) to Shemus's poor reign as champion, Ortans short reign to now being placed on batista who will probably lose the belt back to Cena at Mania.

If you look at the current standings of both championships i would say the WHC has more prestige at the moment but times can change all WWE needs is to create more challengers for the WWE championship and have some amazing quality matches for the title in hopes to bring it back to the same prestige it had in the attitude era.

Though to me the WWE title is most associated with Cena where the WHC is the generic championship, if that makes sense.!

Plenty of sense. I think both titles are equal in value of prestige but honeslty I haven't taken the WWE title seriously in years. To me it looks like a prop in a rap video which ruins everything for me. Its fine when Cena holds the championship bacuase it goes good with him since he was the first to debut that look of the title. It would be like WWE still using the Smokiing Skull belt version of the WWE title and Chris Jericho was champion. It doesnt Mesh. Can we please go back to the way it looked before Cena first held it or something new. Thats why when somebody holds the World Heavyweight Title it seems like it means more because its so generic. It fits anybody.

Simple answer NO!!!

The WWE championship is reserved for guys that the company feels that can carry the company and bring in new fans and can keep the company afloat and profitable. The WHC is a title for up and coming main event players and is a test to see if they can draw. The WHC has been given to guys who may NEVER EVER become WWE champion like Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, Great Khali etc. The WWE championship has only been given to a select few stars (38) and is THE most elite club in all of pro wrestling.

The WHC has had some great chapions, but overall it does not mean more than the WWE championship which is THE belt.

Simple answer NO!!!

The WWE championship is reserved for guys that the company feels that can carry the company and bring in new fans and can keep the company afloat and profitable. The WHC is a title for up and coming main event players and is a test to see if they can draw. The WHC has been given to guys who may NEVER EVER become WWE champion like Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, Great Khali etc. The WWE championship has only been given to a select few stars (38) and is THE most elite club in all of pro wrestling.

The WHC has had some great chapions, but overall it does not mean more than the WWE championship which is THE belt.

So did you think before 2004 that Eddie Guerrero would ever win a championship? He won the WWE Championship. The WWE Championship has been held by guys like JBL and Sheamus. Did you think those guys would ever win a world championship. The Undertaker, Edge, HHH, HBK, and Orton have all won the WHC since 2002 so you can't say the WWE Championship is held by the elite in pro wrestling.

I still stand by my reasoning of it depends on what title is on RAW. RAW will always be superior to Smackdown and the title that is held on that show will be the superior title. The top guy of the WWE has always been on RAW whether it is HHH, HBK, or Cena and the respective title they hold is always looked as the top title in the WWE.

Well I think the WWE championship isbigger than the world heavyweight championship simply because it's been around longer and more legends have held it.

Not at all. I know why some would say otherwise, but that's irrelevant because WWE's version of the World Heavyweight Championship didnt start until 2002 and you can check the records on their own site for that. The WCW Championship has a completely different record as it should.

The WWE Championship is THE belt. Unfortunate too that Sheamus touched it.

Anyhow, it always has been the belt and if not equal to the other as the World Championship is second in prestige.

It's been around less time, very short and the WWE title's history is long and more historic. It'd be like comparing Cena's career to HBK's, HBK's is better though Cena may be a newer top star HBK's career is way ahead of Cena's

I think both belts are on an equal footing as far as prestige and history. Both belts are continuations of previous belts that have a long list of champions who have held it (David Arquette and Vince Russo excluded on the WHC side). I think that in the WWE's eyes, the WWE belt will always be the premire title just for the simple fact it has a longer history with the company. I agree that the spinner belt does look a little cheesy compared to the WHC belt as it does scream Cena instead of whoever else is holding it.
As far as what belt is defended last on a PPV, I don't think it matters as the last match is always booked as the percived highlight / main rivalry at the time.

Well I think the WWE championship isbigger than the world heavyweight championship simply because it's been around longer and more legends have held it.

The WWE championship has not existed longer than the world heavyweight championship, the world heavyweight championship has existed since it's form as the NWA world championship in 1948, WWE's championship was created under the name WWWF world heavyweight championship in 1963.
And by the looks of it, the WCW and NWA world heavyweight championship was held by quite a few legends, some of which has also held the WWE championship, therefore I would actually go as far as to say the World heavyweight championship has held by more legends than the WWE championship.

That is although if we choose to follow the physical title belt rather than by name, which is what I choose to do, therefore making the World Heavyweight championship belt the longest existing belt of the two, and the belt with most legends behind its name, at least for now, seeing that the WWE championship will most likely catch up eventually.

I think both belts are on an equal footing as far as prestige and history. Both belts are continuations of previous belts that have a long list of champions who have held it (David Arquette and Vince Russo excluded on the WHC side). I think that in the WWE's eyes, the WWE belt will always be the premire title just for the simple fact it has a longer history with the company. I agree that the spinner belt does look a little cheesy compared to the WHC belt as it does scream Cena instead of whoever else is holding it.
As far as what belt is defended last on a PPV, I don't think it matters as the last match is always booked as the percived highlight / main rivalry at the time.

I see this guy chooses to see it the same way as me, although there is one mistake you make LascoX, the WWE championship has not really changed in any "big" way, only by name and looks, but not in form of a huge company change as the World Heavyweight Championship, therefore I wouldn't say that "both belts are continuations of previous belts"

And i must admit I actually don't mind the current look of the WWE championship, yes certainly it looked a lot cooler with the attitude era belt. The WWF championship belt (Before the attitude era, the belt Shawn Michaels and many others carried around) looked very prestigious, especially with the wing kind of look.
And the WWE Undisputed championship belt, later becoming the normal WWE belt, sure as hell was perhaps the greatest look it had if you ask me, but I still must admit I do not mind the current belt, and I didn't mind it spinning in the past, just happy it doesn't anymore.

Simple answer NO!!!

Well I thing I disagree with you on the matter that the WHC is for people that may never become WWE Champion and to say that WWE is only for the ones that carries the company.

On that matter of people who may never get the WWE title I can give you a little bit of reason on Mysterio because mostly of how he is potrayed but on that is with any World title. I mean I like Rey a lot but is just not really that believable when he has it and none in the WWE knows how to book him to make it believable, and this is not being racist or discriminating Rey.

Khali is someone that just y size was given the belt and only for a month and it was freaking mistake for any World Title.

Now with Punk, come on, the guys freking good at his job adn one he wll be WWE champion, and rightfully so.

Now on the importance, well it depends more on who has it and how interesting it becomes, it is like this, When HHH was World CHampion, usually his matches were the Main events on the big shows, then when Raw shifted to te WWE championship, the started with the WWE title to the main event.

It depends of which angle and brand seems to have a better rivalry and which one is going trough the motions, like when Hardy was battling Hardy, it was more a matter of the rivalry than which belt was bigger, then it shifted to Cena VS Orton and when Sheamus became Champion he was never last becasue they were tasting the waters with him.

Simple answer NO!!!

Now im not dogging your opinion but didnt batista, hhh,randy orton,cena,taker,jericho,edge,jeff hardy,hbk,kurt angle all hold the whc and wwe title. now i belive the whc has had 30 plus champs,,,i just named 11 that went on to main event or already had the wwe title before. like i said i respect your thoughts on the subject so im not hating or anything i just thought i point that out.

I've Alway's Felt the World Heavyweight championship is more prestigious than the WWE championship just based on the name alone. The WWE championship in my opinion has felt more like a stepping stone towards reaching the WHC.Take Jeff hardy for example, He won the WWE championship at armageddon and people began to take him more seriously. Then Later on when he won the WHC that's when his popularity Sky-rocketed. Atleast it seem's that way too me.

I always thought the WWE title was bigger and also that it should be bigger. I would think Vince wants to keep his company's title as the number 1 title in the company. Now the WHC, depending on how you or for that matter WWE looks at it is Triple H the 1st WHC champion back when Eric Bischoff annonited him that belt in 2002 or does the "WWE WHC" link to the NWA belt of 1948?

I would like to bring your attention to something I see as very important.

http://www.wwe.com/superstars

Chris Jericho's face is the face of the Champion over the SmackDown side of the roster, and The Miz is the face of the RAW side of the roster.

Why is this important? Its simple of course! The face of the biggest champion is always the picture over both the RAW and SmackDown roster. Batista, the WWE champion, is ranked below Chris Jericho, the World Heavyweight Champion according to their spots on the roster page.

This leads me to believe that the WWE staff looks at the World Heavyweight Championship as more prestigous than having the actual WWE title.

Also, just the names make me believe that the World Heavyweight Title is more prestigous than the WWE title. Holding the WHC, means that you are the champion of the world of professional wrestling. But holding the WWE title only makes you the champion of the WWE universe.

In my opinion,

The WWE Championship is made for the company's top dog, the one who has outstood the most and who has succeeded at best, a good example John Cena. Sure he's had both the WWE Championship and World Title, but for me the WWE Championship fits him better. Maybe thats why he's had, and held longer, the WWE Championship.

The World Title actually represents better someone who just happens to be holding it at this moment, Jericho. He's technically sound in the ring. This world Title is for technicians like Bret Hart, Benoit, Michaels, Sting.

in my opinion The WWE champoinship is for the top Guys that makes a real impacts not that WHC dosent makes impact it dose but WWE(C) is Kinda better within its almost the face of the company .. in every single PPV u can see WWE champoinship Fueds are better than The WHC Fueds and i can give u simple example for that ..

Edge has won the Royalrumble .. and he Decieded to go against Chris jericho .. anyways its offical thats match should be A main event ... but its Not .. The 3 Main events are : John Cena V Batista WWE(C) match
,, Undertaker (S) Vs Shawn michales (C) ,, Mcmahon Vs Bret hart ...
where the hell is WHC ? and u really think its better .. maybe if its not in this PPV where should it be better?

So in my opinion i really think that WWE Champoin is ALOT better Than WHC !

In my opinion,

The WWE Championship is made for the company's top dog, the one who has outstood the most and who has succeeded at best, a good example John Cena. Sure he's had both the WWE Championship and World Title, but for me the WWE Championship fits him better. Maybe thats why he's had, and held longer, the WWE Championship.

The World Title actually represents better someone who just happens to be holding it at this moment, Jericho. He's technically sound in the ring. This world Title is for technicians like Bret Hart, Benoit, Michaels, Sting.

How does that exactly work by the world heavyweight championship being only for technicians? Would you consider Khali and Batista "technicians"? Rey Mysterio and Orton have held the belt as well. Wrestlers don't get the WWE or the WHC title based on what they do in the ring as far as style goes. Since 2002, I believe the WWE and WHC titles have been on the flagship show, RAW, for about four years each so different wrestlers have won both titles.

They are equal in prestige. The same guys win both belts, and both belts have been at the top of both shows, meaning you can't claim one is more important because its on RAW and not Smackdown. That argument simply carries no weight whatsoever. The winner of the Rumble has his choice of either belt, implying equality as well, and when the WWE counts "championships", they are treated equally there too, ie, when they say Triple H is a 13 time world champion, they are adding his WWE and WHC titles together.

Y'know this is something I sure some of you have been wondering as well as I have. Do the WWE take more prestige and worth into the World Heavyweight Championship more then the WWE Championship?

The WWE Championship is definitely more prestigious than the World Heavyweight Championship. Although they are acknowledged as equals onscreen, the World Heavyweight Championship has only been around since 2002. The World Heavyweight Championship didn't exist until after the Undisputed Championship became the WWE Championship.

In my opinion the WWE Championship should be the dominant world championship in the WWE, because it's been around for generations and has the biggest history of any other championship... However, I'm starting to think that the WWE put the World Heavyweight Championship above the WWE Championship. I don't really mind, personally I love the World Heavyweight Championship...

They haven't really done that though. The only times that this argument can be made for are 2002 until 2005, and for half of 2008; when the World Championship was on Raw and the WWE Championship was on Smackdown. The announcers put the Raw world title over as "WWE's most prestigious prize" and as soon as the titles swapped back again, they began saying that for the WWE Championship again. So onscreen, they are regarded as equal even though the WWE Championship has far more prestige due to its age and the unification with other titles in its history.

I say this because a few things have me thinking... Most of the PPVs lately have the WWE Championship being defended as the 3rd to last match when they leave the World Heavyweight Championship for last. Also, when you look at roster pages on WWE.com, whenever both world championships are on one brand, the World Heavyweight Champion is the top on the list of champions... Same with Elimination Chamber, WWE Championship, before the World Heavyweight Championship...

Yeah, they do that so that the two world titles can be regarded as equals onscreen. However, as I said before, the announcers almost always put over Raw's world title as the more prestigious one onscreen. Also, they alternate which title closes the show every now and then so that on some shows a Raw feud can close the show and on others a Smackdown feud can. It's fair and also makes things less predictable.

When it comes down to it though, the WWE Championship is bigger when it comes to prestige because it has so much more historical value than the World Heavyweight Championship does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back