World Heavyweight Championship and the Corre

thefutureisnow

Occasional Pre-Show
We all know that there has been some tag teams in the past that have defended the tag team championships under the freebird rule(ex Spirit Squad)

Lets say Wade Barrett gets booked in a World Heavyweight championship match, wins the title, but decides to defend the World Heavyweight championship under the free bird rule.

He has always said that every member in the Corre is equal many time since they have formed, so would it be a good angle to book the World Heavyweight championship this way?

It could be interesting seeing it be like this, if youre the #1 contender, but don't know who you have to defeat to win the world heavyweight championship

One week it could be Barrett, another week Gabriel, or Slater or Zeke

No way, I would hate to see that happen.

If anyone from the Corre is going to be a World Heavyweight Champion at all it would be Wade Barrett and that being said, there is no way that anyone else in the Corre is equal to Wade Barrett or big enough to be considered a World Champion.

The only reason it worked for the spirit squad was because they were just that, all equals and none of them were that better than any of the others so it worked. Plus, it was only the tag team championship so there would always be two people in the match to try and disguise the weakness of their team mate.

I think it would make the World Heavyweight Championship just look like a toy. I can see where you're coming from, but I just would not like to see it happen.

I'm with Richard here. I totally get where you're coming from, but it just doesn't work for a singles title, because those aren't about teamwork or group representation. When you have a tag team, either member can get pinned/submit and lose the titles for the team or the stable. With a singles title, a wrestler is representing himself and uses the title as a backbone to his argument that he is superior to the other members of the roster as a whole; further, the company typically gives people titles as a means of getting them over, whether individually or as a stable member. If in a stable of "equals", a member holding a singles title translates to "this is how dominant our group is, consisting of such members", and serves to get the stable over as a whole.

Regardless of any other reasons, though, if the Corre held tag team gold, say it was won by Slater and Gabriel, swapping Barrett or Jackson for one of them makes sense in terms of one-upmanship. The team is suddenly more intimidating to opponents having to contend with a bigger, stronger guy in the match. Do you think for a second that if Barrett won the WHC and said Slater was going to defend it for him, especially against guys who are bigger and/or further up the card, anyone would be saying, "Wow, smart move"? The Freebird Rule works for unpredictability under less important circumstances.

Getting over as a tag team and winning tag titles can be done by pretty much anyone, whether now or in the past when the titles meant more. Singles titles, especially world titles, mean a lot more in terms of people's careers and lives, how much money they make and how long they can survive in the industry. Applying the Freebird Rule to a singles title cheapens the significance of the accomplishment for the wrestler who won it, damages the prestige of the accomplishment for everyone in the future and cheapens the significance of the lineage associated with it. This is the very reason why having Kelly Kelly involved in the WHC match decision is sold effectively because it's a matter of Edge being completely fucked by a heel GM intent on having him lose the title at any cost, even under ridiculous circumstances, even if Edge was also still involved in the match, hoping to fight his own fight. It was acknowledged by everyone involved, down to Michael Cole, that it was bullshit and Edge was all but certain to lose, which would be a slap in the face to the entire industry. The title didn't change hands for this reason, and Kelly got the pin herself for dramatic purposes only, not because they want this to be a regular thing.

If WWE starts making substitutions a regular, accepted thing and legitimate means of title defense, we risk setting a precedent and having a world title match turn into a comedy segment with Hornswoggle. I don't think anyone wants that, nor do we want a situation where anyone can be substituted into the match for the sake of prolonging someone else's reign. If that was the case, David Arquette would still be champion.

I could see ezekial jackson winning the world heavyweight due to his size
and barrett as well
slater, gabriel
maybe money in the bank some day but i CANT see them winning it anytime soon at all

DO IT! Never been done before. Each member of the Corre has their own style it would be incredibly hard to train for them. Imagine you think you're going to fight Heath Slater and then you get Ezekiel Jackson. And the guy to finally beat them after a long stretch that guy's gonna be the man. Everything's been done in wrestling, this hasn't been done...in a single's capacity to my knowledge. Do it.

Maybe the Intercontinental Championship could be held by a group and defended under the Freedbird Rule. But not a world title. How can four people hold the top prize of SmackDown? I get what you're trying to do but the World Heavyweight Championship is just too big of a title to be defending like a Tag Team Title.

No way! It would be a pathetic idea from the WWE to do that. It is a good idea, but no way it should be applied to The Corre. Can you imagine Heath Slater defending the World Heavyweight Championship? Can you believe that Justin Gabriel with his size, will be representing The Corre in a World Title match? No, it could be applied to a Power-Hungry faction like The Two Man Power Trip, DX and Rated-RKO. But not The Corre, they are proclaimed as Equals but we all know that only Barrett and Jackson to a slighter extent will win the+WHC+Championship.+To+sum+it+up,+its+a+good+idea+but+it+should+not+be+utilised+on+The+Corre.

I think it would be interesting, considering its never been done before, atleast from what i can recall. But i dont think it would work. I just think it would devalue the significance of the title. It will just seem like a prop. And i just cant see somone like Slater defending the title.

Maybe the Intercontinental Championship could be held by a group and defended under the Freedbird Rule. But not a world title. How can four people hold the top prize of SmackDown? I get what you're trying to do but the World Heavyweight Championship is just too big of a title to be defending like a Tag Team Title.

future nearly had a good idea, but you definitely nailed it. The Intercontinental Championship would be the way to go for this idea. Not only would it make the Corre look good, but it would be a much needed breath of fresh air into WWE's midcard title situation.

i woulld love to see it since im a gabriel mark :p but i dont think it would really work. barrett is the only one who can hold the title yet, and zeke and gabriel havent even held a singles title in their careers. slater i dont even have to mention because hes heath slater lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back