CM Punk is Great

SavageTaker

Everybody Has A Price!
Cm Punk is quickly becoming one of my favorite wrestlers on the Smackdown brand and one of my favorites the WWE currently has. But for some time now I have noticed that a lot of people have been disliking him or hating him. I really don't see what it is that people hate or dislike about him.

One of the reasons I like him is obviously his in ring skills. I think that he has a pretty good overall moveset. Just about every move he has I like and there isn't one move he has that I dislike. If I had to name a move that he does that I didn't like I wouldn't be able to name one because I pretty much like them all. I even like the GTS. I'll agree that it shouldn't be his finisher because when a guy his size does it on bigger people it just doesn't seem like something believable. But I still like the actual move.

Another one of the reasons I like about him is his mic skills. People say that they are bad or that he just sucks on the mic, but in my opinion they (his mic skills) are good. Yes I'll admit there's better people on the mic but he can hang with the best the company currently has and he can cut a damn good and believable promo.

Another reason I like Cm Punk, and there's more reasons but I won't list them all, is because I along with many others can connect with his character which is also who he really is outside of the ring. I believe in the straight-edge style of living. I don't do drugs and I don't drink any type of alchohol, just like him.

These are only a few reasons on why I think Cm Punk is great and why he is becoming one of my favorites the WWE currently has.

Now, I want to read why some of you like CM Punk too or why you don't like so maybe we can start a debate.

I too agree with you Savage, Punk's character and life style really really connects with mine. After reading about Punk's child hood, icons, social life, and basically him outside of wrestling, I've noticed I'm more like CM Punk than any wrestler! I too believe in his Straight Edge way of life and I also am Straight Edge! O.k so he cashed in on Jeff Hardy, why are you hating on him if you know you would have done the same? Cut the dude some slack!

I also love his in ring work! He is such a talented wrestler! His Muiy Thai skills are amazing, and how he uses every part of his body to his advantage is amazing to me and I love The GTS.

And I think he has some pretty good mic skills I loved his drinking contest promo with JBL and his recent promos about doing whats best for him! Punk is just awesome!

ALL HAIL THE WORLDS CHAMPION CM PUNK!

I have liked him since he was back doing things in OVW. He was great there, and it has poured over to WWE. I love the guy in the ring, and the type of match that he can put on. He can be extremely quick and put on a fast pace match. Then turn around and have a slower match and wear his opponents down, which is not something that you see a lot from a guy his size. I really wish that we could see the pepsi plunge, but since it's a pedigree from the top rope that will never happen. And I miss the anaconda vise. That was a sick submission hold, and I really like the way he put everything together to get the hold on. Like you Savage I like the straight edge lifestyle.

The title of this thread pretty much says it all. CM Punk is great, period. Now, I don't live the straight edge lifestyle by no means, but I also like his character. I for one am really hoping that he goes all out with the heel version of his character and starts ripping on everyone for not living his lifestyle and all of that noise. Definitely should make for some entertaining television. CM Punk is without a doubt the future of the company.

I'll agree with you all. CM Punk is a great wrestler and decent on the mic.

And as you both stated, he is someone that you connect to. Which I can relate with, because I have been claiming the straight edge lifestyle for 8 years now, and when I first discovered CM Punk in ROH with the Straight Edge gimmick, I personally thought...Finally, a wrestler I can really connect to!

I'm also a big fan of CM Punk being the WHC. Hopefully they keep the belt on him and give him some big credible wins over top stars. Plus, I'd love a full fledged heel turn from him. So lets hope for that!

he is my favorite current wrestler. i think he has just started to reach his potential. after this heel turn if he can do half as well as he did in indys and roh as a heel he will be a top heel right with edge and jericho

I'd have to say I like Punk much better as heel. As a face I just didn't get him. I mean he's straightedge but looks the complete opposite. He's like christian rock. It's an oxymoron. But as a heel he comes off as holier then thou which works much better.

I think that a lot of people who don't like him are people who has followed his career since before WWE, and OVW, when he was in TNA, when it use to be NAW-TNA. At that point he was in one of Raven's stables called The Gathering, he was tagging with Julio Dinero. At this time from what I understand his backstage etiquette wasn't that great. He got in many fights with Teddy Hart, including a brawl with him at a local restaurant that all the talent would frequent.

I think that another reason people don't like him is because his "straight edge lifestyle" (which I applaud) can be looked at a slap in the face to the fans. Let me finish before you tear this apart. Some of my friends who are "smart marks" believe that his "straight edge lifestyle" is a slap in the face to there life long favorites who couldnt do it, and had to resort to steroids. illegal drugs, alchocol, and the misuse of prescription pain medication.

I think that another reason people don't like him is because his "straight edge lifestyle" (which I applaud) can be looked at a slap in the face to the fans. Let me finish before you tear this apart. Some of my friends who are "smart marks" believe that his "straight edge lifestyle" is a slap in the face to there life long favorites who couldnt do it, and had to resort to steroids. illegal drugs, alchocol, and the misuse of prescription pain medication.

Umm..I think it's because when you say your strait edge, your saying your better then the next guy for it. There are alot of beers drank infront of TV's and I'm sure in most arena's watching wrestling. No one like to be told what to do which he does by repeating it over and over. I get it, you don't drink, don't smoke anything, your still a virgin.

Punk is awful. He bores me to sleep. His match with Hardy was awful and i was interested in the match going in. He's just so bland to me, so awful, seems like another guy whose in skills just bore me. I don't want to see another high knee in the corner, because its boring. I like high impact, high pace, something with excitement and he doesn't give that too me.

I've been on the Punk train about as long as anyone here as I've been a big fan of his since the day he debuted. His style is unique I guess you'd say as he's a high flier/striker, which isn't a typical combination. I really don't get all of the hate that he receives. he doesn't have bad matches and if he does, they're very few and far between. He doesn't particularly have a gimmick, but how many really do anymore? The heel turn that he's doing is great as it's so slow that it's going to take awhile to get there I hope. It's about time he got the respect he deserved, which I've been saying would happen time after time.

Punk is awful. He bores me to sleep.

Why does he bore you? I don't really find him entertaining but this potential heel turn has me interested. It's giving me a chance to see something that I've never seen before but heard quite a bit about which is Punk as a heel. I dont find him boring though his arsenal of moves are good enough to keep me entertained and he is pretty solid in the ring, compared to people like Khali.

His match with Hardy was awful and i was interested in the match going in. I like high impact, high pace, something with excitement and he doesn't give that too me.

You like high impact and high pace but you didn't like the Hardy/Punk match from the Bash? I thought it was a decent match,granted a little slow to start with but it picked up pace towards the end. The ending wasnt the best but it keeps the angle going.

its not cuz they dont like punks lifestyle or mic skills or wrestling style its just because WWE is pushing him as a new heel. he beat jeff hardy who is probably the most popular guy in the WWE right now and lastnight got himself DQ'd which started a 'bullshit' chant (wonder if that would be edited out of the dvd?) but people arent liking them right now because they arent suppose to anymore, simple as that.

I like Punk and I am really looking forward to a full heel turn. There's a few videos of Punk's heel promos anyone in doubt of him should type in CM Punk + Germany and get a glimpse of what could be. I just wish the WWE would give punk the full heel turn already, how can they expect Punk to be a tweener against one of the most over wrestlers on the roster,Jeff Hardy ?

Punk is such a great worker and is pulling off a perfect tweener gimmick and keeps people wondering. He keeps improving and will be a big star for a long time.

its not cuz they dont like punks lifestyle or mic skills or wrestling style its just because WWE is pushing him as a new heel. he beat jeff hardy who is probably the most popular guy in the WWE right now and lastnight got himself DQ'd which started a 'bullshit' chant (wonder if that would be edited out of the dvd?) but people arent liking them right now because they arent suppose to anymore, simple as that.

I didn't like him as a face because of the straight edge thing and also thought he was a little boring. He is much better as a heel and I finaly enjoy his attitude. He comes off as pompass to me and will have a better playform now.

I love Punk for many reason. The most recent is that he appeals to logic. Nowadays the WWE is filled with so much black and white. I still cringe thinking about how Michael Cole would say that Rey Mysterio doing Eddie Guerrero's Three Amigos was a tribute to Eddie since Rey was his best friend but when Chavo Guerrero - EDDIE'S NEPHEW - would do the same move it was a mockery simply because Chavo was a heel. To me, that's not logical. It's pandering and simplistic.

So when I see a wrestler like CM Punk who doesn't care if he's in the ring with a face or a heel because he just wants to win I love it. He made a great point when he said that fans cheered him for cashing in on Edge but they booed him for doing the exact same thing to Jeff Hardy. Logically, he did nothing wrong. Cashing in the way he did is essentially the point of the MitB contract. Condemning it is hypocritcal unless you condemn it no matter who it's against. Is it the most ethical decision? Maybe not. But those fans better believe that other guys they cheer for like Triple H would have done the same thing in Punk's position.

Punk harkens back to the Attitude Era when guys like Steve Austin would spit in the face of authority and get cheered. In a world of guys who kiss babies and flash Kool-Aid smiles like John Cena it's refreshing to see a guy who isn't jacked (possibly on 'roids) and who is covered in tattoos, piercings and long hair blur that line of what is supposed to be a so-called traditional champion.

In the ring Punk is amazing. Maybe he might not be everyone's cup of tea but to say he isn't talented is a complete and utter bold-faced lie. Since his draft to SD he's had phenomenal matches with Chris Jericho, Edge, John Morrison, Umaga and Jeff Hardy just to name a few. Believe me, with names like Umaga and Jeff (who are decent in their own right) it's not like Punk is just being carried. My God, the man managed to make a strap match interesting in this day and age.

Punk is different and that's a good thing. He uses a lot of kicks instead of fake-looking punches. He goes to the air but only when it's advantagious. He picks his spots and he doesn't rely on typical main eventer moves like spinebusters and chinlocks. To those who say Punk's offense is boring I say that you're too used to the carbon copy WWE main eventer offense that it seems like so many wrestlers are forced to use. Either that or you're only entertained when guys throw caution to the wind and try to break their necks. Punk isn't a crazy high-flyer but he's also not a ground and pound guy. He's a beautiful mixture of both which makes it so easy for him to wrestle any opponent.

"CM Punk is great." Indeed.

Why does he bore you? I don't really find him entertaining but this potential heel turn has me interested. It's giving me a chance to see something that I've never seen before but heard quite a bit about which is Punk as a heel. I dont find him boring though his arsenal of moves are good enough to keep me entertained and he is pretty solid in the ring, compared to people like Khali.

Well, you see, its just nothing he does entertains me when he's in the ring. It's just so bland and boring that its just god awful to me. Khali is worse i agree, but i am strictly talking in ring here. His mic skills are ok, and i am interested in his heel turn, but i'd rather see hardy win(and no, im not a hardy mark)

You like high impact and high pace but you didn't like the Hardy/Punk match from the Bash? I thought it was a decent match,granted a little slow to start with but it picked up pace towards the end. The ending wasnt the best but it keeps the angle going.

the slow start killed it for me, made me fast forward through most of it, till the end and the false finish and everything. That was the only decent part of the match. I'm liking the angle, makes me like hardy somewhat.

Punk is awful. He bores me to sleep. His match with Hardy was awful and i was interested in the match going in. He's just so bland to me, so awful, seems like another guy whose in skills just bore me. I don't want to see another high knee in the corner, because its boring. I like high impact, high pace, something with excitement and he doesn't give that too me.

What you just said is the big reason most people on the IWC don't like him. He's not the most exciting guy who takes tons of risks like a Jeff Hardy. He doesn't berate the crowd or other wrestlers like a Chris Jericho. He stays within his character.

Personally I like the way they are setting up the tweener style for now. I could see him facing Hardy in another match at Night of Champions, restart an old ECW feud with John Morrison, or possibly another round with Kane right now. Punk's style of wrestling is very rare as he can have a solid match with basically anyone.

Oh I think he should start using the Anaconda Vice again as well, or possibly come up with another creative submission.

I really don't understand what all the hype is with CM Punk.. he just goes out there and does the same 2 moves he has, using his knees to hurt people. There is nothing interesting about his character, and there are 10 other guys in WWE i'd rather have as a role model. His entrance music is one of my least favorite's too. His personality and image don't match up

I can't stand it when people exaggerate far too much to make their point. If CM Punk's style doesn't fit your taste then that's all well and good. But to say he does "two moves?" That just makes you sound like someone who doesn't actually watch the matches in question and instead you just follow the crowd. I'm not accusing anyone of that. I'm just saying that's the impression that you give off.

I see a guy like CM Punk which people call boring and then I'm just left scratching my head wondering what is so interesting about Jeff Hardy. After all of these years Jeff still seems incredibly timid on the mic. When he's not timid he's quickly yelling because he doesn't want to screw up. Compared to that, Punk has a very casual but confident style on the mic. He very clearly gets his point across. You may not agree with it but it's very easy to come away from a CM Punk promo with simple understanding.

Punk always does his knee strikes... when does Jeff ever not do his corner dropkick or whisper in the wind that is rarely aimed well enough to hit an opponent? I mean, you could make this argument about almost anyone in the WWE main event. Cena, Hunter, Batista... even guys who are beloved like Edge... you can't be a big name in the WWE without having a few go to moves that are incorporated into every match.

I'd also like to call Hustleje12's bluff about another comment. There are 10 other guys in the WWE that are better role models than Punk? Okay. Please name them and give some specific reasons for why you think they're better people to look up to than Punk. I don't like putting people on the spot but I'm fascinated to hear this since you decided to use it as a point of contension for why you don't like Punk.

Finally, who cares if Punk's personality and image don't match up? Are you really that much of a follower without any free thought that you dislike things simply for not following a preconceived order of things? One of the great things about Punk is that he challenges conventional wisdom. He doesn't have rippling abs because he's never touched a drug in his life. He doesn't train to have the body of a Greek God. He trains for his style of wrestling. He's fast and lean but he have power where he needs it. And yes, the guy has a lip ring and tattoos all over his body. To an older person he'd look like a simple thug. But in real life he lives clean and healthy. He might not be the best role model in the world but I'd say he's a pretty good one. In an industry that's always under a watchful eye for drug use he's a GREAT one.

I truly believe that a lot of people are confusing someone not being interesting to them not being able to connect with someone. It's easy to like guys such as Batista or Cena who look great. You can wish you looked like them. Or it's easy to enjoy Jeff Hardy because while he might not have the body he does have an individual look that's in jive with what kids today like. The thing with Punk is that he's not the cool ideal. He doesn't flow with what kids typically think is cool. He's never cared and never apologized for that. Punk is Punk. He's unlike anything you've seen before. That's what makes him so interesting. WWE fans can compare John Cena to Hulk Hogan or they can compare Jeff Hardy to Shawn Michaels. They compare Triple H to Ric Flair. But CM Punk? You can't compare CM Punk to anyone but CM Punk. He's the first of his kind. And that?

THAT'S cool.

rk-owned2009, dont ever speak on behalf of the people who dont like punk again, becouse you tried making us sound like little wwe puppets, no the reason i dont like punk is not due to his HEEL TURn, it's becouse i never liked him as face and he just sucks, he is now in the ranks of cean, batista,tripple h,hardy,ortan and more and that gets me thinking how does a out of shape hunch back guy who brags about being straiught edge and cant hold a title for shit keep getting all the chances in the world, i dont care if he has a cool layed back talking style on the mic he still sucks he talks to slow and booores the living shit out of me when he is talking or putting a match together

I don't really understand what you're trying to say, uh, BIGJUICYNIPPLES. Punk is like Batista, Cena, Triple H, Hardy, Orton because... well, you sort of trailed off. You mentioned him being out of shape, which he isn't. You mentioned him having hunch back, even though he has quite a good posture.

I'm guessing you mean that Punk is a world champion and he's retained his title at least once. Otherwise, I see very few comparisons with those guys. He's considerably more vulnerable than Cena, Triple H or Batista were as champions; he's nothing like Orton, even as a heel. The Hardy comparison... I dunno, I guess that's probably the best comparison, but I'm not really seeing anything.

Explain.

I'm not really a CM Punk fan but I have to say I think he is alright in the ring. I think it will be interesting to see how he goes as a heel, I'd really like to see it happen because I think thats what he needs. It would be good to see a new heel come in too and sorta just change things around a bit, freshin things up. I was actually looking foward to seeing more of him and Umaga feud before but too bad Umaga isn't around anymore.

CM Punk is a good wrestler, and I do enjoy watching him. However, I think a lot of the negative comments towards him are down to the fact he did win his first world title too early. I didn't mind his title run because I enjoy him, but thinking about it logically it made little sense, and made Punk look nothing more than a transitional champion. Now he's in limbo - Mid card? Main Event? It's confusing and worked against him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back