Bullshit about Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be an LD Monday night/Tuesday morning, at 12 MIDNIGHT, for Gore Verbinski's The Ring. If you would like to participate, quote this post, say whatever you want, and I will PM you more details.

19_rtemagicc_nb_reddevil_jpg.jpg

Fuck New Balance very much for discontinuing these shoes. They only came out fucking last year and I already can't get them. After seeing Crank 2 I had to have them.

My computer crashed big time last night, so the LD is being moved back to tomorrow night at 9 PM. If you are interested in watching The Ring tomorrow night, please PM me.

Actually I'd heard some very good things about Orphan. From the horror community that is. I don't even bother with the mainstream critics opinions of horror films, they know absolutely nothing about them. Bloody-Disgusting or Bust for me.

Orphan was awesome, though I do think of it more as a comedy than a horror movie. Only the last few minutes felt 'horror-ish'.

The Ring LD will begin very soon. It looks like I'll be the only one participating, so I'm not sure where that leaves the rest of the scheduled LDs, but, if there is any interest in doing another on this week, let me know!

I want a movie to watch. Something similar to No Country For Old Men. I also want it to be a movie I don't have to think about, as I will be watching it as I pack.

Suggestions?

A History of Violence.

If you like NCFOM, then you'll love this. They're similar in violence and tone, but I feel A History of Violence is a much, much superior film. Check it out if you haven't yet.

I'm with JMT here, Cronenberg overrated? Never. Underrated if anything. Videodrome is a masterpiece, so is Dead Ringers. He has plenty of other great films as well. Scanners, The Brood, The Fly remake, Naked Lunch, Crash, Eastern Promises, the list goes on and on.

Anyone who actually thinks that they can adapt a William Burroughs novel is going to lost points right off the bat. I actually didn't finish Dead Ringers...I liked Jeremy Irons, but Genevieve Bujold is ugly as sin, and I couldn't understand why the twins would find her even slightly attractive.

You need to watch Dead Ringers again. Don't let something petty like the attractiveness of a female character turn you off the film, it's a brilliant film, takes you on an emotional hellride like very view other films I've seen.

No one can deny the greatness of Videodrome though.

You didn't like his Fly remake? Or Eastern Promises? Come on, it has your boy Vincent Cassel!

And yeah, you just can't film Burroughs. Cronenberg's film had the same spirit I thought though, and was very enjoyable. It's just not possible to actually adapt Naked Lunch correctly. It'd turn out like some bizarre mixture of Salo, Antichrist, Slaughterhouse Five and Trainspotting. No studio would touch that film with a 20 foot pole.

David Cronenberg > Michael Haneke

And Cassel deserved a Supporting Oscar nod for his performance in Eastern Promise. He was every bit as good in that film as Viggo Mortensen. I remember reading there were plans with a sequel for Eastern Promise with everyone returning... hopefully that comes to fruition.

But yeah... Cronenberg owns. I haven't seen all his films, but every film I have seen from him, I liked a lot.

Eastern Promises was all right, and The Fly was decent as well. But, I happen to think A History Of Violence is the most overrated film of this decade. Here it is in a nutshell: family man gruesomely kills mobster, his wife is both attracted to and repulsed by his actions, he's a gangster himself, and film ends ambiguously with a cheesy score.

I'll give Dead Ringers another try, for the sake of Jeremy Irons. Scanners wasn't that bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back