Bullshit about Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may or may not go see Paranormal Activity tonight. I think I'm going to go tomorrow, though...take the girl, get her scared, and you know how the rest goes.

tdiglÉric Rohmer;1423801 said:
I may or may not go see Paranormal Activity tonight. I think I'm going to go tomorrow, though...take the girl, get her scared, and you know how the rest goes.

Awesome man, if you do go see it, let us know what you think. That's one of my most anticipated films.

What is this Paranormal Activity thing? Someone facebooked me about it.

Horror movie getting insane hype. Like, people walking out of the theater shaking and crying kind of hype. I doubt it will live up to that, but it still looks great. YouTube the trailer.

Then I think a group of kids I know are going Friday. I hadn't heard anything; but if it has that kind of hype, then I'll check it out.

Anyone else looking forward to A Serious Man? I just read a very favorable review, and the movie reminds me of Fink. Those Coens...

The King of Comedy may just be Scorsese's best film. At the very least it's his most underrated.

The King of Comedy may just be Scorsese's best film. At the very least it's his most underrated.

I really like The King of Comedy as well, but it's nowhere near Scorsese's best, in my opinion.

Also, I feel The Color of Money is his most underrated picture. That film gets no love whatsoever, and I personally thought it was fantastic.

Dressed to Kill isn't nearly as good as I was hoping it would be.

One of the few Brian De Palma films I have not seen. Did you thoughts change by the end of the film?

I really like The King of Comedy as well, but it's nowhere near Scorsese's best, in my opinion.

Yeah, I was just a bit caught up in my love for the film. Picking a favorite Scorsese film is like being asked to pick your favorite child. What do I go with? Mean Streets, Taxi Driver, The Departed, Goodfellas?

The King of Comedy is awesome though, especially the ending. I love films with ambiguous endings that let the viewer draw their own conclusion to the film.

One of the few Brian De Palma films I have not seen. Did you thoughts change by the end of the film?

Not really. It was much more mediocre than I was expecting, I was hoping for a suspense thriller semi-classic, what I got instead was one of the most boring suspense films I've ever seen. Literally 99% of the movie bored me to tears, almost nothing happens the entire film. There are a few good moments here and there, but overall it's nowhere near De Palma's best work. Sisters, Body Double, and Blow Out are so much better. Worth a watch though, it has Keith Gordon in it. I gave it a 3/5, pretty average.

Not really. It was much more mediocre than I was expecting, I was hoping for a suspense thriller semi-classic, what I got instead was one of the most boring suspense films I've ever seen. Literally 99% of the movie bored me to tears, almost nothing happens the entire film. There are a few good moments here and there, but overall it's nowhere near De Palma's best work. Sisters, Body Double, and Blow Out are so much better. Worth a watch though, it has Keith Gordon in it. I gave it a 3/5, pretty average.

Too bad, but I guess every director has some mediocre to their resume, huh?

And I LOVE Blow Out! I think it's his best film outside of Scarface. Body Double is also very good, but I've never seen Sisters.

And the Silences of the Lambs talk in the other thread made me think of a much better Anthony Hopkins starring movie called Magic. What are your thoughts on that film, X, if you've seen it?

Too bad, but I guess every director has some mediocre to their resume, huh?

Yeah, I was shocked too considering how many good things I've heard about it. Not one of his better films.

And I LOVE Blow Out! I think it's his best film outside of Scarface. Body Double is also very good, but I've never seen Sisters.

Oh yeah, I love Blow Out. Blow Up is still better, but it was a perfect tribute to the film. Honestly I think it's probably De Palma's best film, that or Scarface.

Sisters is one of his first films, it has Margot Kidder in it. Definitely worth a look, a very creepy and downright bizarre suspense/horror film, I really liked it. Very creepy.

And the Silences of the Lambs talk in the other thread made me think of a much better Anthony Hopkins starring movie called Magic. What are your thoughts on that film, X, if you've seen it?

I LOVE Magic JMT, one of Hopkins most underrated performances. Any film involving ventriloquist dummies is going to be creepy. Awesome film, reminded me a bit of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes. (The Dummy)

Sorry to interrupt an intelligent conversation with comedy drudgery...

Don't know if this has been brought up yet, but does anyone else love Mystery Science Theater 3000 as much as I do? It was a series originally on Comedy Central and then Sci-Fi (Sy Fy) in the early to mid 90s.

Basically in this series 3 characters, one human (Joel / Mike), and two robot companions (Tom Servo and Crow) sit and watch really bad B movies, mainly those in the science fiction genre. They proceed to make fun of said bad movies in order to make them digestable. The three characters are hilarious and witty as hell, combining the comedy from in front of the movie screen with skits during every break in the film.

Below is a clip from Space Mutiny, where the guys sit and make fun of the cheesy musclehead hero's name, David Ryder...coming up with several awesome alternatives of their own.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RFHlJ2voJHY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RFHlJ2voJHY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Big McLarge Huge!

Anyway, here are some of the essential MST3K episodes, most of which can be found on YouTube, broken up into parts. There are also several MST3K DVD sets that can be found in stores. I think they're up to Volume 11 now...

Eegah!
Pod People
Space Mutiny
Mitchell
Manos: The Hands of Fate
Teenagers From Outer Space
The Deadly Bees
The Touch of Satan
Werewolf
The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies
(TISCWSLaBMUZ for short)

They also make fun of lots of shorts, the educational films shown to students in the 50s and 60s and such. Here are some essentials for those:

Spring Fever
X Marks the Spot
Design For Dreaming
Catching Trouble
Mr. B Natural
Hired!

Enjoy!

Watched Paranormal Activity the other night, last night it was showing here (only theatre in Canada showing it, managed to catch it on the final night). Worth the hype, easily the scariest movie since The Exorcist. None of the whole trying to make you jump bullshit, just genuinely horrifying and keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. Scheduled for widespread release across North America this Friday, I believe. Go. See. It.

Yeah, Paranormal Activity is a very, very good horror film. Also, if you get the chance, see it in a theater, as something tells me that it wouldn't affect you as much on your TV or PC. If The House Of Leaves could ever be filmed, then I'd imagine that, for the Navidson Record portion of the book, you'd see something similar to Paranormal Activity.

I need to pick, like, 10 movies I want to see in the upcoming weeks. I've been really slacking lately. American films, for the most part, suck, and I've already seen any foreign film worth seeing that's coming out later this year. Although, if I can somehow catch Bong Joon-Ho's Mother again...that movie was the tits.

Anyone see the trailer for The Fourth Kind yet? Saw it before the Paranormal Activity screening, looks awesome as well.

[youtube]vVRHOhLP-aA[/youtube]

I need to pick, like, 10 movies I want to see in the upcoming weeks. I've been really slacking lately. American films, for the most part, suck, and I've already seen any foreign film worth seeing that's coming out later this year. Although, if I can somehow catch Bong Joon-Ho's Mother again...that movie was the tits.
One day...ONE DAY, I will be as jaded about movies as you...:(
Anyone see the trailer for The Fourth Kind yet? Saw it before the Paranormal Activity screening, looks awesome as well.

[youtube]vVRHOhLP-aA[/youtube]
I've seen the trailer. I don't think I'm going to like it.

It's just something about the whole hand-held footage thing that gets to me, makes a movie so much more authentic. Although I did hate the Blair Witch Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back