Because it needs to be said

If it is what I think it is, I'll pass.

It's a person shoving a glass jar up their ass and breaking it, right?

I'm not sure if I'm as squeamish as IDR, but I definitely don't want to see someone break a glass bottle in their ass.

I wonder how they got that glass out though. I am disturbingly intrigued about the logistics behind it.

Honestly, I find the most disturbing thing about the video to be the guy's cock. Not a good looking one. It's like the thing you squeeze on a sphygmomanometer, but fleshier.

I've heard of women sticking this thing in with vodka in it to smuggle into prison:

volumax_glaze_39121.jpg

Hardly see the jar being any worse.

I have my limits when it comes to films. I won't watch anything where an animal gets legitimately harmed if I know about it beforehand (Apocalypse Now is the one exception).

However, if something is completely fiction and everything that happens in it is 'movie magic' so to speak... I can pretty much sit through anything, as long as the story is interesting. There are some limits, of course, like A Siberian Film. I'll never watch that, or anything like it. But something like Irreversible... I can stomach that stuff, since it is admirable what the filmmaker was able to pull off and since there was a message behind the picture and since there were respectable actors in the film that believed in the message. And then on the other hand you have something like August Underground, which I tried to watch, but couldn't get through 20 minutes of it since it was so fucking boring and the film had no point whatsoever other than just to show ruthless violence.

Anyways, I like good movies, bottom line. And a film can be good to me if the violence gets carried away. Doesn't bother me at all. I don't think there's anything wrong with my "mental state" because of that. When I watch a movie or television show, I want my real life to be non-existent for a couple of hours and escape into that World of fiction, no matter how "violent" it is.

For me, it was. Call me what you like, but having read some of that shit, I'm legitimately upset. I can't believe people actually find this shit entertaining, and worse yet — champion it with polls on a forum.

Hey IDR, Have you ever felt your penis try to suck itself up into your stomach? You know, as its just trying to escape being associated with such a pussy.

Desensitization. It's happening. Deal with it.

Calling these people sick is ridiculous. When you leave 1955, and join us here in 2011, let me know.

Desensitization. It's happening. Deal with it.

Calling these people sick is ridiculous. When you leave 1955, and join us here in 2011, let me know.

I'm stuck in 2009 myself. I'm still awestruck by the designs of touchscreen smartphones. Glad mine has insurance. It's the third time I try dialing with my penis and end up short circuiting it.

I'm as big a pussy as you'll ever come across and even I can watch the latest Saw without flinching. The Japanese like to get more creative and visceral with their gore, which I can dig. As long as I'm not forced to defend any potential offspring against, say, a legion of samurai, I reckon I'll be alright.

I'm as big a pussy as you'll ever come across and even I can watch the latest Saw without flinching. The Japanese like to get more creative and visceral with their gore, which I can dig. As long as I'm not forced to defend any potential offspring against, say, a legion of samurai, I reckon I'll be alright.

Now that's brave.

Then again, I did just watch 13 Assassins. If I can manage to be the nephew of the main protagonist, or a mental guy living in the woods, I can defeat a samurai horde.

You'd be just like Furyof5. Only afew things you'd need though.

- Beat up like 15 black guys, whilst holding a sandwich of sorts in one hand.
- Say a family member invented a fast food chain.
- Flip out big time for all to laugh at.

The Thing is a great film. Possibly the best film on the list, though I have only seen three more from that list. Cannibal Holocaust sounds as if the directors tried to mask the lack of content in their movie with gory stuff. Haven't seen it but the woman on the pole picture is almost a cult photo.

One one hand you've got the fact that things like that do happen in real life. On the other hand they rarely happen in the manner and capacity they do in films like Saw, which is pretty much infeasible and unbelievable at a storyline level. But back on the first hand you've got that in life things that can be far far far worse than what is shown in films, ie Holocaust - 6 million deaths by the most sadistic cruel means, Rambo (the latest one) - around 300 deaths by relatively subdued methods.

But claiming people watch it because they get some sort of taboo pleasure from it is just guess-work, it is still about trying to stop the bad guy at it's most basic level. I'd argue most people watch not to see someone get their head smashed in but rather how that person prevents that from happening.

See I'm pretty much OK with everything in films because:
1) It's not real.
2) It does represent an aspect of life which does actually occur, whether you want it to be hidden away and buried or not, is usable source material for film makers and the like.

I draw the line when it's something that actually occured. I think just last week a british women was killed in Tenerife, where the killer (who was psychologically unwell) stabbed her 14 times and beheaded her running away carrying her head by the hair. That sort of thing makes my stomach churn. Because the point is if film makers can engineer situations where we can steel ourselves to the reality without ever having to encounter it, we only need come to grips with it if it's impossible to avoid.

Hence why the only thing I will not watch with respect to anything is that 3 guys 1 hammer video and all other associated real life recorded acts. I know what they are about, I understand what they are like from such films as Saw itself, but I don't need to subject myself to the sheer horror.

Bad shit happens, this is a fact of life (you even admit it yourself). People kill other people; there's usually an inkling of an understandable motive behind it (e.g., this person betrayed me, this person makes my life less enjoyable, this person is rich, I'm not, I'll kill them and take their money) but then there are some that do it purely for the joy of killing. I don't see why this is a fact of life that we should gloss over. Why should you think less of someone just because it takes more than newsprint (i.e., it takes visual stimulation) to demonstrate just how fucked up the world is?

Yes it does, but what does desensitizing yourself to feeling any emotional reaction to seeing it do to the quality of making you human? If anything it makes you inhuman for not feeling that deep cry to help your fellow human beings from fates of savage and merciless death.

I'm not denying that "bad shit happens" in the world. I'm saying that it makes little sense in terms of human logic—keyword, human—to want to watch and glorify (by commending technique and "vision") it as a means to condition yourself to be "stronger", as if strength can be determined and measured by the amount of indifference you feel toward your fellow man and innocents across the world.

I can tell you right now that, for example, if I were brutally sodomized and left for dead, I'd have a much easier time eventually getting on with my life than someone who thought everything was supposed to be peaches and cream. By the way, this is in no way, shape, or form me condoning what had hypothetically happened to me; I'd think it wrong and seek justice just like anyone else would. I just wouldn't spend the rest of my life obsessing over the fact that this horrible thing happened to me.

I'm sorry, but you are making statements you couldn't possibly know the answer to because you haven't actually been (I hope) "brutally sodomized and left for dead". How do you know your life would be easier? How do you know you wouldn't kill yourself out of the shame or the fear that this could happen to you again? How do you know so matter of factly that this would make you a "stronger" person? Again, strength is not defined by how intolerant you can be to pain and suffering, but rather by how tolerant you can be to wanting it eradicated.

Sorry, tdig, but I just don't buy the fact you think you can even possibly know the answer to what would define your life had something so wretched and evil happened to you.

If evolutionary psychology has any merit to it whatsoever, then this is just flat-out wrong. Why would my brain tell me to look away from something that I'd possibly look like after a pack of wild animals had just had their way with me? As I said before, these type of films acclimate us to the way life could potentially be for any of us.

Because your brain is human, after all, and part of being human is experiencing and often embracing empathy—that is the capacity to recognize and, to some extent, share feelings with your fellow human beings. You know when you watch people cry out of happiness at a wedding? You know how you can potentially do the same? That's empathy. It's the highest-most (IMO) level of human understanding.

I just don't buy that your brain works differently than the majority of others that walk this planet in that it doesn't seek happiness and peace, but rather to numb itself to the most vile and disgusting sights it can possibly experience. If it does, as I already stated, there's something mentally "off" with you. You are the exception, not the rule.

These types of films do not "acclimate you" to the way your life could be — they just depict the way they could be for others and allow you to use them as a means to desensitize yourself (as best you can) in the event they happen to you. That is not the same as acclimation, because you have no first-hand experience in the matter, only third-hand.

All right, you get some of the ol' green for being consistent in your beliefs. I do commend you for that (i.e., for disliking films that degrade human life but that don't do so in such a graphic and detailed manner as horror films).

And this encompasses my point in a nutshell. I value human life. Visualized, scripted and recorded acts of barbarism and brutality do the exact opposite and objectify the very acts to the point they can be voted upon the way people might vote on best comedic act in a play or film, which IMO is wrong. Not nearly as wrong as the idea that someone would actually want to produce such filth, but that anyone would willingly subject themselves to watching it to the point that they could treat it no differently than they would a ballot on best costumes or musical score.

On a side note, I regret having posted this in that I forgot how juvenile and childish this forum is when it comes to serious matters, and I sincerely regret having posted it in the Cage of all places, but at the time I posted it I was shocked, so I wasn't thinking as clearly as I should have been.

For the record, I have no intentions of dealing with anyone in this thread who I feel is baiting me into any kind of pissing contest or anyone who's intentions aren't genuine or considerate.

I don't buy that for a moment. So you desensitize yourself so that if something "absolutely horrible, violent and soul-shattering" happens to you, you can survive it as though it wasn't actually "absolutley horrible, violent and soul-shattering"? You'd be completely amoral and emotionless at that point — a state that I'd argue is impossible to ever reach, regardless of how often you subject yourself to watching the most deplorable things human beings can (and do) do.

I was with you until this. This is silly. Desensitization doesn't necessarily mean you will never feel emotions over a certain kind of situation. Like, I can easily tell the difference between say, someone getting killed in one of those internet gore videos, and someone getting killed in a movie, because I'm heavily desensitized to that kind of thing.

I can watch Saw all day long, eating whatever the fuck they serve at theaters that's not popcorn, but you'll never see me watching a legitimate video of someone committing suicide, getting shot, etc.

Edit: I couple of posts down, you mirrored my point. Which is weird, because you recognize the difference between real and fake/implied violence, yet you still hate the idea that someone would "champion" these ideas on a forum. I don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back