• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Barbosa's Travels

Барбоса

doesn't know REAL wrestling...
As this will prove, I have had a lot of time to think about my surroundings. 4500 miles in three weeks across deserts will do that. Maybe I should have bashed out a chapter or two of my book instead of not looking near it or even thinking about it. What is it even about again? Who cares?

This will also likely come across as inherently negative and sarcastic but let's face it I am an inherently negative person and sarcasm is just one of my many talents but I wish to make it known that I love North America. There are certain parts of it that I would migrate to tomorrow if possible. Hell, if the continent had some proper ancient history I might live there already.

But why Barbosa (some of you might say Barbie which I am okay with despite the little girl's action figure/doll connotations), why focus more on the negatives after such a great trip? Simple. It is easier to be negative and will make for more stimulating reading than me fawning over Sequoia Sequoia, hazy sunsets and wildlife.

San Francisco, CA - Fort Bragg, CA - Crescent City, CA - Portland, OR - Seattle, WA - Vancouver, BC - Kamloops, BC - Jasper, AB - Canmore, AB - Whitefish, MT - Missoula, MT - Big Sky, MT - Jackson, WY - Salt Lake City, UT - Elko, NV - Truckee, CA - San Francisco, CA

That is the trek I embarked on. I haven't provided a map because most of you young whippersnappers are devoid of natural curiosity and would not look at it.

The Pacific coastline disappointed me somewhat. Mainly because it looked exactly the same as where I live - dominated by greenery and coastline, except with better weather. The stereotype about Oregon being covered in trees is 100% true. It did not stop me standing in the sea listening to some music. Maybe I thought that with the world's biggest ocean lapping the shores, the views, rock formations and beaches might have been a bit more spectacular than the north coast of Norn Iron.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by the major cities of the west. Normally, I hate Big Smokes but San Francisco, Seattle and Vancouver were a different breed of urbanity. Aside from the tourist attractions, I felt like I could actually have lived in any of them and not had the overwhelming urge to go on a killing spree in the first few weeks.

Made a brief sojourn to Aberdeen, Washington with Final Countdown playing as I entered the city limits. *insert comment about Sam's jealousy here* Strangely there was no statue erected to Smackdown's Mr MitB...

Predictably, the weather got hotter as I moved east but never
did it reach truly oppressive levels like that on the east coast and that I am thankful for.

Drove on a road in Glacier national park that had only been cleared of snow a week previous. Unfortunately, the snow had washed away a lot of the road and the mist was a true Victorian London pea-souper. Driving at 7000+ feet in those conditions was a bit disconcerting.

An old lady in Wyoming asked where in California I was from (due to the number plate on my rental car) and when I said that I was from Northern Ireland she must have thought I said Northern California as she replied "we are from further south, near San Diego." Pretty certain my accent does not sound like I am from Mendocino county.

Speaking of NorCal, with all the roads I travelled and maps I studied of the west coast, coupled with where the Mighty One suggested to me where he was from, I would get a bit of a chuckle if he was from the town of Weed, CA.

Saved three ducklings from being boiled in a hot tub in Big Sky, Montana and returned them to their mother. Maybe those Montanans were trying a new type of cooking?

Perhaps the positive karma I received from this good deed served me well the next day in Yellowstone when I nearly got a little too close to a bull bison (that's the correct name for what the uneducated call a buffalo - there are no buffalo in America). Got out of the car to watch him swim across the Yellowstone river but lost sight of him as he came ashore into some trees. Then I did something mildly cretinous. Instead of being attentive, I stood around admiring the scenery only to find that all of a sudden the beast that only seconds before had been about 500m away was now emerging from the trees about 20 yards from me (terrible transition from metric to Imperial measures there). Luckily for me and you all, the bison did not give one solitary shit about me and just strolled across the road minding his own business. Maybe if he had known that later that night I was going to sample the tenderloin of one of his fellow bison, cooked medium-rare with garlic mash, seasonal vegetables and tobacco onions he might have reacted differently...

Accepting free drinks from the barmaid sister of a friend in Salt Lake City can have interesting consequences, particularly when she decides to "test your Irishness" by making a cocktail with 7 shots in it (that's 5 Irish measures). I should have been somewhat wary when she asked me when was the last time I had eaten before giving me the drink but I passed the test by not only finishing it but then immediately ordering another and dispatching it too.

Also had a beer with a Canadian lacrosse team in Kamloops (great name) but they were more interested in talking about Irish golfers as it was a couple of days after Darren Clarke lifted the Claret Jug at Sandwich. Strangely, it was not Big D or Rory they were interested in rather Graeme MacDowell, who they were excited to hear lives 10 miles from me (although Clarke now does too). Maybe it is Graeme's bastardised American-Norn Irish accent that endears him to them?

For WZCW and Coco in particular, I was very tempted to take a detour to Medicine Hat but it was a bit too far. Strange that I thought of doing that before the much shorter detour to Calgary and Hart family territory... Who am I kidding? It's not strange. Kravinoff is just that good!

Meeting my best friend for a beer and a steak in San Francisco was a great piece of holiday/work conference timing

Fellow tourists

There were of course the stereotypical American tourists who give the rest of their compatriots a bad name - brash, rude, loud idiots who think that they can do anything they please because "I'm a murkin." I actually saw one reach to put his hand into a spring to see how hot it was... despite me telling him that it was boiling and possibly corrosive. Maybe America goes to war every generation in an attempt to cleanse the likes of these morons from their gene pool.

However, such potential cannon fodder are far, far from the norm. Most Americans are extremely polite, make for good conversation and can be the nicest people I have ever met.

However, many Americans, particularly those working in restaurants and shops take this jovial politeness to the extreme. Perhaps it is a directive from a management or even corporate level but at times I find it so disingenuous that it comes full circle back to a different variety of rudeness. When I am browsing in a shop I want to be left alone to actually browse, not be asked six times if I need any help.

I understand that in restaurants this springs from the culture of tipping but that is another thing that I do not like. Even the arguments that many are working for tips does nothing to sway me - as I said to a guy I was speaking to in a bar, conforming to the tipping culture perpetuates what is a broken system. No one should have to depend on a couple of dollars to meet the most basic standard of living. The minimum wage is there for a reason and employers should be forced to comply with it and if the minimum wage is not enough then it needs to be raised.

Challenging the brash American for rudest tourists (I did not meet any French Canadians this time so that title was up for grabs) were, rather surprisingly, the Japanese. The amount of queue jumping, pushing in and general ignorance (no, not the kind that Stephen Fry, Alan Davis and co. partake in for comic effect) was simply stagger at times. What made it even more surprising was that for a people from a country so driven by respect and honour, they seemed so completely oblivious to their own disrespect.

Also, at the risk of sounding a little racist, does any one person look more lost than an Asian woman on holiday in the western world? They mix the look of a deer in the headlights with fart in a trance to terrifying results.

German tourists were also an eclectic and numerous group. They could be as rude and disrespectful as the worst American or Japanese but as polite, courteous and inquisitive as anyone.

Probably the most humble of all of the tourists I met this time were the Canadians and the Hispanics/Latinos/Mexican Americans... although for the latter that changed somewhat after dark. At night, when the Germans and Japanese had gone to bed after a long day of pushing passed others, I found the Latinos to be by far the noisiest. Slamming doors, screaming at the top of their voices etc. Cannot hold their liquor it seems.

I hate taking photos and not just ones with me in them. Honestly, who wants to see a picture of Old Faithful with my big mug dominating much of the picture? However, most tourists do not follow this train of thought. The number of awful posed photos with big fake smiles I saw being taken was mind-boggling. Worse still was the number of completely pointless photos being taken. I understand the want to take a few pics of pretty scenery, strange animals and famous landmarks - I did so myself - but do you really need a picture of nondescript grass, trees, water and flowers? Do you really not have those things at home? (the Japanese were particularly bad at this)

Do not think that I am not self-critical. I am sure that some of the people I met found me to be standoffish, aloof even to the point of being an asshole all because I do not partake in inane chatter about nothing beyond the necessary courtesies. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem talking to people so long as the conversation is not centred solely around the weather or my Irishness.

Random Notes

I love American breakfasts. Not quite as good as the unbeatable Ulster Fry but egg, bacon, sausage, pancake, toast, tea and OJ is pretty dang good.

I find it amusing that every little hole in the ground town or village no bigger than my back garden calls itself a city...

Automatic cars are shite

18 different hotels and 18 different coffee makers and I don't drink coffee. Tea is as useless as ever across North America.

Virtually every western American has a ridiculously big car/truck that they do not use for purpose. Just what are they over-compensating for? Actually, the number of smaller, European and Japanese cars has visibly increased in the last few years. Still there are so many that seem to think that they need a 12 litre monster truck that does 400 metres to the gallon to do the school run.

Speaking of which, according to one TV ad, 40 mpg is seen as extremely impressive. Really? We have cars at home that do 80...

As many times as I have experienced it, the frequency of commercial breaks can make North American TV almost unwatchable at times.

There are few nicer experiences than sitting out in a national park with a picnic lunch and a beer

Everyone has a propensity for butchering the Queen's English but Americans do it in a strange way. I don't mind slang and I can look past the incredible disappearing "u" from "colour" and the second "i" from "aluminium" as historical typos but what kind of word is "winningest"? Truly awful.

Who knew you could get sunburnt when it is overcast? Sheamus and JGlass must need to be really careful.

Men Who Stare At Goats became my 500th DVD. Some good bargains too although the best was probably Transsiberian for $2. Wrestling wise, I got Kane's DVD, Monday Night Wars and Best Wrestlers of the 90s for the colossal total of $20. I also bought my first wrestling figure in about a decade. I mean who could turn down Kurt Angle (or is it Dr Steven Kurtsey) for $2.46? And yes, it is a TNA figure

Seeing a prison located in Independence Valley was some delicious irony while Deeth Starr Valley awakened the nerd in me. There were plenty of other great place names but they escape me at present.

As well as my own music, I listened to more BBC Radio 1 in those three weeks than I have in my entire life because American radio for all of it's diversity is scandalously repetitive. Each music station seemed to have a playlist of about 20 songs and don't get me started on the sports stations... The same baseball or NFL story on repeat for hours... It makes Sky Sports News look unique in it's diversity.

On the other hand, listening to those stations have proved to me that without Lady Gaga and Katy Perry pop would be dead.

I have still yet to meet a Canadian I disliked (the Québécois don't count). Who knew that the cultural bastard child of Britain and America could turn out so well-adjusted?

Sleeveless t-shirts might be useful in the oppressive heat of the deserts of Nevada but that does not mean that they do not make you look any less of a ********.

The bass system in my car's (a Dodge Avenge affectionately known as NEV) sound system was wrecked. The normal setting nearly shook the dashboard apart and low was not much better so for the duration bass had to be completely turned off. Jack White would be so proud.

Tumbleweed does exist and it does blow across busy highways and interstates

The existence of a gas station called "Town Pump" made me laugh every time I drove passed one

The reverse motortricycle might be the best/worst thing ever

Whilst shopping in Ralph's all I could think about was looking for their brand of coffee (which has been established that I don't drink) to see what size Donnie's receptacle was

Having to pay for inflight entertainment on a 5 hour journey? Ridiculous

Барбоса;3322593 said:
Speaking of NorCal, with all the roads I travelled and maps I studied of the west coast, coupled with where the Mighty One suggested to me where he was from, I would get a bit of a chuckle if he was from the town of Weed, CA.

Surely, if you passed Weed, you went by Red Bluff, California. I spent most of my childhood there, with my mom, about 40% of it in the mountains to the Northwest about two hours, with my grandparents.

We used to run track meets and play football against weed, and would always manage to finagle a "Red Bluff Spartans football (/sprinters) SMOKE weed!!!" much to our great enjoyment (but children we were, mind)

Барбоса;3322593 said:
Who knew you could get sunburnt when it is overcast? Sheamus and JGlass must need to be really careful.

Its actually worse, the water molecules in the clouds magnify the suns rays

Барбоса;3322593 said:
As many times as I have experienced it, the frequency of commercial breaks can make North American TV almost unwatchable at times.

I watched a football match on American TV. There were commercial breaks DURING the match. During! I used to think ITV was bad. Now I really appreciate BBC on a whole new platform.

Барбоса;3322593 said:
Everyone has a propensity for butchering the Queen's English but Americans do it in a strange way. I don't mind slang and I can look past the incredible disappearing "u" from "colour" and the second "i" from "aluminium" as historical typos but what kind of word is "winningest"? Truly awful.

Where did you encounter that abomination?

Барбоса;3322593 said:
Tumbleweed does exist and it does blow across busy highways and interstates.

No, it can't possibly be true.

Surely, if you passed Weed, you went by Red Bluff, California.

Don't remember seeing it. Knew I must have been very close to the Fatherland of the NorCal

Where did you encounter that abomination?

US sports commentators use it to describe the most successful teams. Sentences along the lines of "The New York Yankees are the winningest team in history" are horrific

Well, this was really interesting.

Glad you think so

What did you think of Jasper, and did you head into Banff, Alberta on your travels?

I liked Jasper. A few too many tourists but still a nice place. Drove passed Banff but did not go into it. Stayed outside the National Park just down the road in Canmore.

I missed you Barbosa, I was worried you fell out of your ivory tower and plummeted to your death.

And where did you get the idea that I burn easily? I'm actually moderately tan for a white person of Russian and English ancestry.

I missed you Barbosa, I was worried you fell out of your ivory tower and plummeted to your death.

Don't worry about that, JGlassy. If I was ever to plummet from my ivory home I'd be sure to notify your good self... by landing on top of you.

And where did you get the idea that I burn easily? I'm actually moderately tan for a white person of Russian and English ancestry.

It was probably your hair colour.

I just finished reading all of it, extremely enjoyable, Barbosa.

I've always noticed that Asians are particularly oblivious to their surroundings. This only applies to people who were actually born and raised in Asia, as American raised Asians seem to be adjusted to our fast paced culture. In one of the buildings in which I have a class, the Asians in the building seem to wander the halls aimlessly with no regard for their fellow student, stopping in the middle of the hall on a whim, causing near accidents on the reg.

San Francisco is one of my favorite cities I've ever visited. Did you go to Chinatown? They have some AWESOME shops there. I did partake in some touristy stuff when I went there, not ashamed to admit it, but how often do you get to go inside a prison that once housed Al Capone? I got locked in solitary when I went to Alcatraz for about 5 seconds. They did slam the door for effect, though.

I'll take this opportunity to apologize (with a z, not an s. American English RULEZ) for my fellow Americans pestering you about your Irishness... but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't done the same thing after I had gotten some beers in me. We love accents in America, and I know I enjoy learning about the little differences between cultures (the fact that you drink coffee instead of tea, for instance), and I'm sure I'm not alone on that one.

Oh, and my hair is light brown... I guess? I used to be blond as can be when I was younger, so I've never really reidentified my hair color (once again, fuck the u). Either way, I don't burn easily. I burn with about the regularity of most people, but after suffering a few nasty sunburns I've employed two strategies. The less effective but still useful strategy is putting on sun screen... LOTS of sunscreen. The more effective one is staying the fuck out of the sun.

I stayed right beside Chinatown in SF so I did walk through it. Some great shops. Came very close to buying another Roman sword as well as other weaponry... Also had an excellent Chinese meal for next to nothing.

And I don't drink coffee... I thought the report highlighted that

It must be my colour-blindness as I could have sworn that there was some red in your hair

I meant tea instead of coffee, silly typo.

I've never had red hair a day in my life, so I'm going to roll with your color blindness distorting reality for you.

There was one shop I went through in China town in particular that was pretty awesome. They had a lot of weaponry, art, and this bad ass chess set. I'm not very good at chess, but it was a really fucking awesome chess set. I believe it was marble.

There was one shop I went through in China town in particular that was pretty awesome. They had a lot of weaponry, art, and this bad ass chess set. I'm not very good at chess, but it was a really fucking awesome chess set. I believe it was marble.

It was probably the same place I was in. It had a lot of movie replica weaponry. Could have bought a tonne of stuff but had no way of getting any of it home and am only really after stuff that might be useful in a teaching sense, hence already having a Roman sword.

I once saw condoms "guaranteed to break", literally in the same display that had multiple pig carcass' hanging from the window; there's literally nothing you can't find in China town.

Ah so Barbosa and I have traveled the same paths now (Yellowstone, Glacier National Park). I feel like we have grown closer now to share similar experiences.

Yeah. I'd say my humility is definitely a result of my Canadian-ness. Keen observation.

Tea is very popular in the circles I travel. But then again, you didn't have time to travel every circle.

Asains are bad, but those of Middle Eastern dissent are a fierce kind of obnoxious. I'd take Asians over them any day of the week, sir.

Yes, commercial breaks are a nuisance. I watch 99% of my television off my DVR now.

If you think the repetitiveness of the radio was awful, thank your lucky stars that you didn't have time to indulge in any twenty four hour news drivel.

I'm not sure if I've noticed myself meeting a German. Not saying I haven't, because it's entirely possible that I have. Just that I never noticed.

Yeah. I'd say my humility is definitely a result of my Canadian-ness. Keen observation.

And your honesty. Canadians are known for their honesty, right?

If you think the repetitiveness of the radio was awful, thank your lucky stars that you didn't have time to indulge in any twenty four hour news drivel.

Oh, I know about the mind-numbing effects of 24 hours news. However, I think that the news has something of an excuse in that it is only has the current news to report. If it is a slow news day or something major happens then it will tend to be repetitive. Radio stations on the other hand have 60+ years to pick from.

So Barbie my lover...this is a novel, not a spam post. I meant that in the best way possible because I loved reading every second of it and you're such a talented writer that you made the whole thing a pleasure to just sit down and read. But that book you joked about not working on? Silly you, this is your book right here I think kind sir. Your novel approach to traveling across the United States and the love for all of the great big cities full of people and community has got me all worked up, so I'd think it would translate well to text.

Barbosa you wonderful bastard. You should have stopped by Rhode Island and had a drink with me mate.

So Barbie my lover...this is a novel, not a spam post. I meant that in the best way possible because I loved reading every second of it and you're such a talented writer that you made the whole thing a pleasure to just sit down and read.

Thanks, Xy. I must have learned something during my years of studying.

But that book you joked about not working on? Silly you, this is your book right here I think kind sir.

That would be an interesting subject to tackle if I did not have an October 2012 deadline for my current project...

Barbosa you wonderful bastard. You should have stopped by Rhode Island and had a drink with me mate.

Rhode Island would a little out of my way... but rest assured, honey-bunny, plans are already afoot for more Barbosa travels to the US, possibly as early as next January in New Hampshire and next May in Virginia. I know that is nowhere that close to you but a friend of mine and myself are already in preliminary negotiations for a trip to Boston and New York. The fact that we would likely travel between the two by train brings in all kinds of possibilities...

Барбоса;3323460 said:
And your honesty. Canadians are known for their honesty, right?
Yes. But we'd be better off if humans were known for their honesty.

Oh, I know about the mind-numbing effects of 24 hours news. However, I think that the news has something of an excuse in that it is only has the current news to report. If it is a slow news day or something major happens then it will tend to be repetitive.
Yeah, you didn't watch any. Lucky bastard.

Well now I'm starting to think my overwhelming obsession with the truth makes me a cunt, which isn't what Nancy Grace led me to believe would happen when I took a stand for justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back