• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Banned Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ticked Off Texan

Pre-Show Stalwart
Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Another fall out from the Benoit tragedy is that Vince has banned wrestlers from using any form of choke or strangulation move. Vince feared that the media would use new footage of these holds against the company. Talent and producers now must go to Vince to get special dispensation for any move of that type before they can use them.

So what moves are being baned? One can only assume that the sleeper will be one. But what other moves will be banned? And what impact will it have on the WWE?

That really sucks alot but it's [in a way] somewhat good news, especially when a headlock or a sleeper hold is applied for literally 5 minutes long. I understand where the WWE is coming from here. The entire Benoit tragedy was awful and look how strong the media attacked professional wrestling and by claiming Benoit used a wrestling move to strangle his son to kill him...

Thats propper stupid! so does that now mean a headlock takedown is banned? because it ends in a headlock?

I can understand the reasoning behind this move, but he has taken it too far

It was implemented for good reason. If somebody were to do a chokehold or strangle somebody, or similar, the media would JUMP on that footage and air it several times, so they can continue their anti-WWE crusade with comments like "Obviously the WWE doesn't care too much about the tragedy, by allowing chokeholds they're mocking the Benoit deaths." Not that that's true at all, but you know how the media is.

I'm not sure what all moves in particular have been banned. But I can see the sleeperhold for sure, and of course nobody's gonna be allowed to strangle their opponent with any type of weapon (ring ropes, electrical cords, etc.). That's totally understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back