Ask Shocky Again!!!

Your thoughts on the slow death of the Tag Team Division in WWE?

Is the Tag Team Division in TNA where it's at in Tag Team Wrestling Today?

What are your thoughts on Tag Team Wrestling In General?

1. The golden age of WWF Tag Team Wrestling was around Wrestlemania 5, there was that mini ressurection at the beginning of this decade, but aside from that, tag wrestling hasn't really ammounted to anything. Personally I'm beginning to feel that the great tag wrestling of the late 80's early 90's was merely a blip on the radar, and what we've had since then is the norm.

2. TNA and tag team wrestling, I thought was pretty solid earlier this decade, but the business just isn't suited for tag team wrestling. TNA really doesn't give it the attention anymore that it received just two years ago.

3. As far as tag wrestling goes, I think it's a lost art, and honestly wouldn't be surprised if the entire concept was scrapped altogether. Guys in one on one match can simply tell better stories and have better matches with each other, as opposed to 4 guys in the ring trying to tell a story. I think with the ever decreasing attention spans of fans in general, tag wrestling just does't have a leg to stand on.

I'm a huge mark for submission finishes. Which do you think was the most over and effective submission hold in wrestling? My vote goes to Angle's Ankle lock due to the numerous big match wins he has due to the hold and the numerous avenues of application.

Figure Four, easily. If you watch anything from the early 80's, nearly every wrestler used it, and it was essentially the Marquee submission hold that everyone used, and Ric Flair damn near perfected. It's essentially what the Sharpshooter is today, the move that everyone tries to use, but no one does it quite like the orignals.

The Sharpshooter itself is pretty damn solid, but like Flair's figure four, I don'tt think anyone should attempt to use it unless that persons name is Sting or Hart.

The Ankle Lock is freaking awesome as well, when Kurt Angle does the grapevine, pretty much kiss the match over.

My personal favorite however is the Crippler Crossface. To bad that Triple H and HBK have ****ed it since the death of Benoit. It's simply one off the sweetest looking finishers I have ever watched, and damn near everyone has tapped to it.

Oh yeah, and the Brock Lock (we only saw it once) aka the Stretch Muffler I believe was freaking sick. If you haven't seen it, look it up.

As far as the original question, Figure Four, most effective ever.

Why do you think Canadian Wrestlers are so great?

it's amazing for a country with a semi-small population, especially in comparison to the States, has produced some of the best wrestlers of the last 25 years. I mean, I'm fairly familiar with the Rougeau's, the Harts, and even Gene Kiniski from before that, but it's not a strong area of mine by a long shot.

For the most part, any of the Western Canadians came threw the Dungeon for the most part. Stu Hart's dungeon is probably the best training groound and breeding ground for the type of wrestler I like Best.

Look at Team Canada that is left in the Tourney. Hart, Jericho, Benoit, all came from what Stu hart was teaching. That is phenomenal. Throw in names like the rest of the Hart Foundation, Brian Pillman, Dynamite, and it's a whose who of great mat based wrestlers. Hell, I think Lance Storm even fits the bill (another guy I find highly under rated).

That doesn't even get into the Edge and Christians of the world. As I said, It's amazing how many greats Canada has produced.

And how did you feel about tribute show the day after? I felt bad for not only watching it, but taping it! I taped over it as soon as I could! Who knows how long it will before I'm able to see him as a wrestler and watch his matches again!

What are your thoughts on Benoit?

After everything broke out, i was about as sick to my stomach as they come. I'm about as big of a Benoit mark there is, and still remain to this day. I tried to keep an open mind about it, and get all the facts.

Personally, the Benoit subject is still a subject I don't like to address, because I really get into it, and have strong opinions on the subject. I'm pretty thick skinned,s o I chuckle at Benoit jokes, but there is an underlying tragedy in there that unfortunately the WWE has thought the best coruse of action is sweeping it under the rug and pretending it didn't happen.

Verne Gagne supposedly killed a man in his retirment home in his 80's, essentially Benoit's Brain was that of an 80 year old man, but with the physcial abilities of a 40 yeard old. It's a dangerous combination.

I honestly don't know how to feel still, and we'll never know for sure. Was Benoit a cold blooded murdered that deserves no remore? Or was Chris Benoit not the Chris Benoit we thought he was and incapable of controlling himself? It's hard to figure out.

What's your opinion of "Spotfests" ? They're so oftenly used in a negative light, but they can be very entertaining to watch, can they not?

What's your opinion of "Spotfests" ? They're so oftenly used in a negative light, but they can be very entertaining to watch, can they not?

I'm a fan of Rob Van Dam, so I certainly like my spot fests. The difference between a guy like Van Dam and a Jeff Hardy is that Van Dam is so damn smooth when he does his moves, and Hardy just looks like he's throwing his body around for the sake of throwign it around.

Edge vs. the Undertaker in the Cell last year was nothing but a spot fest, and it was awesome. Those two guys had already worked typical wrestling matches, and there was really nothing left for them to do. So the big blow off match was a spot fest, big deal, still damn entertaining.

Now when a wrestler relies entirely upon the spotfest type of match, that's the problem. Those matches are reserved for opening the show, not for closinig it.

With the kind of (over)hype certain matches and wrestlers this decade have received, do you think Eddie Guerrero has become underrated, overlooked, or forgotten?

Personally I'm not a fan of the guy, and that goes all the way back to his WCW days. Just something about him I never really got into, I can't explain it.

My personal opinion, I think that he is over rated in death. In the ring he managed to get a monster push by going over Lesnar for the title, and yet managed to lose all of that momentum in a matter of months.

Also, his feud with Mysterio was one of the most awful things I have watched, and the ladder match may have been the worst ever, truly awful.

My honest opinion, I don't care for Eddie Guerrero the character and all of that. I thought he had the ability to put on good matches, but the ones that wowed me were few and far between.

I'm an unabashed Mysterio Mark myself. I used to love the guy in WCW, you know, before O.G. started showing up on steroid list and all of that stuff. He was pretty damn fun to watch from 96 to 99, and then he fell off for me.

The stupid ass Filthy Animals, pretty much every over rated IWC darlings Stable, killed Mysterio for me. The desmasking (though not his fault) was one of the worst things ever, and he just looked like a goofball trying to fit in on the Island of Misfit toys.

We get the much needed break from Mysterio, and the guy was simply bad ass in his return to the WWE. His match with Angle, quite possibly the best match to open up any pay per view ever. That was fun and exciting. I remember a tag match with him and Edge vs. Benoit and Angle, again, awesome.

Hell, up until recently the guy continues to show burst of what he once had. His match with Jericho a few weeks ago was awesome, and him and Edge tearing it up in the Elimination Chamber had me realistically believing the guy was going to pull it off. I'm quite cynical towards the business in my old age, and anyone that has the ability to make me mark out gets thumbs up in my book.

2005 and his feud with Guerrero, and then the ultimate abomination of him winning the World Title as a gift essentially is what will kill Rey Rey's career. I honestly believe that Mysterio was going to get a worl dtitle (Hell, Hardy and RVD accomplished it, why not Rey), but the way it happened made him lose any credibility.

I think he is under rated, but completly understand why people think he is over rated.

Kurt Angle, The Greatest Mat Rassler Of All The Times; Fact or the last great work of kayfabe?

Fact. How can anyone dispute that an Olympic Gold Medalist, the only one the business has had in wrestling, to not be the greatest of all time? The guy gets praised by all the legends for what he could do in the ring.

The old Shooters and Hookers are out of my realm of comfort, a guy like Gelgarin is far more knowledgable in it then I am, but I'm pretty confident in saying that back int eh territory days, where a rogue territory might try and take the World title and the belt had to be on legit wrestlers to keep that from happening, that Old Kurt Angle would handle himself quite well.

I don't agree, but I appreciate the last point (which not enough Angle marks jump on).

Booker T: What was his appeal outside of his WCW series with Benoit?

Fact or Fiction: The Attitude Era, from an actual wrestling standpoint, is overrated?

I don't agree, but I appreciate the last point (which not enough Angle marks jump on).

Booker T: What was his appeal outside of his WCW series with Benoit?

Well there was a DVD entitled 20 Years to Soon about Billy Graham, Angles DVD should be 30 years too late.

Booker T's appeal mostly is him being a minority. I enjoy the guy, but I don't know why. The spinnarooni is a super gimmicky thing, but people eat that type of stuff up. Yes, he got his push because WCW was being sued for not pushing minorities.

I don't know what the it factor is for Booker, but he is the first full blood African American to hold a world title while employeed by the WWE, a serious, serious accomplishment.

Fact or Fiction: The Attitude Era, from an actual wrestling standpoint, is overrated?

Depends on what the Attitude Era is. If it includes 1997, then the wrestlign was quite good.

If however we're dealing exclusively with 1998 to 1999, then I agree, it's nearly impossible to find a good match from those two years that wasn't gimmicked to all hell and back. As far as standard one on one matches with no gimmicks, absolutely nothing pops to my head.

If you specify what you think the attitude Era is, I'll go into more detail.

What is your favorite match involving a wrestler you don't like?

What do you like about that match?

What is your favorite match involving a wrestler you don't like?

What do you like about that match?

Easily Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Triple H from No Way Out 2001. I'm not a huge fane of either man, but boy oh boy they went balls out in that match.

3 Stages of Hell was such an interesting concept to begin with. These two simply blew my expectations away for this. They were able to wrestle 3 different matches, all within the context of one match. It was an amazing accomplishment for both guys, and it's a shame, because I've always thought that storyline wise, HHH and SCSA should have main evented Wrestlemania 17.

the ending of that match may quite possibly be the best ending to a match ever.

I thought of another match since 2004 (if we're including 2004 or not, I'm not sure). Randy Orton vs. Edge, Intercontinental Title match, Vengeance 2004. Simply put, hands down the best IC Title match of the Decade.

If you could see someone return with a certain gimmick for one final time, who would it be and why?

How would you book Triple H's final match? (who would you have him face, where and when would yo have the match take place and what type of match would you have it be)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back