Annoying Crowd Chants at Live Shows

Which crowd chant annoys you the most during a live show?

• "TNA! TNA! TNA!"

• "ECW! ECW! ECW!"

• "THIS IS AWESOME!! <clap, clap, clap, clap, clap...>"

• "WHAT??"

• "YOU FUCKED UP!! "YOU FUCKED UP!!"

• "BORINGGGGG... "BORINGGGGG..."

• "YOU SUCK! YOU SUCK! YOU SUCK!"

• Other (Please specify in a post with explanation)

Results are only viewable after voting.

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
25s63w1.gif

I've been to WCW, ECW, WWE, and TNA live shows and I must say that professional wrestling fans are the most annoying people on the planet. Yes, I'm a pro-wrestling fan, but you wouldn't see me at a show trying to start a crowd chant every 5 seconds.

The most recent live show I attended was a TNA house show in mid-December with IC25 and another friend that I'll keep anonymous at this time. As much as I love my anonymous buddy to death, I swear that the guy must have tried to start a crowd chant every 5 minutes of the 2 1/2 hour show. There was a point where IC25 and I looked at him after one of his feeble, failed attempts and needed to point out how annoying he really was, much to his chagrin. For the reminder of the show, he toned it down quite a bit. But that didn't stop the other 300 fans in the show from shouting out their own, annoying version of ways to garner attention from total strangers.

A decade ago, it was the cool thing to "sing along with the Rock" or collectively say, "Oh, you didn't know?? Your ass better call somebody!" with the New Age Outlaws as they walked down the entrance ramp. Quite frankly, I miss those chants and wish they were still the "cool thing to do" at pro-wrestling shows. These days, the WWE has put the kabash on most of the wrestlers' catch phrases for one reason or the next. Now, their crowds feel suffocated and their mild cases of Tourette's Syndrome constantly kick in during live shows. And what are we left with? The most annoying people on the planet. Newsflash everyone: Shouting out random shit during live shows is annoying!

I'll give us the benefit of the doubt. It seems to me that professional wrestling audiences are desperate just to be a part of a live show. Whether they join in with a wrestler during the stating of their catch phrases or they decide to start chanting "Chavo sucks ball-sweat" on their own, I believe that they all just want to be heard.

Personally, I'm completely and utterly sick of the "What" chants during promos. Because he started the chant, some believe it pays respect to Hall of Famer "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. I believe it's because the virgin-infested pro-wrestling audience loves to annoy other people, hear the sound of their own voices, and desperately seek a simple way to gain attention from others.

So, I ask all of you...

Does anyone else feel the same way? Are there any chants that annoy you at live shows? Are there any chants that you miss?

Chants in general don't annoy me so long as they serve a purpose. Some is just audience participation and none of that will ever bother me. The dueling Cena chants don't bother me either, for every positive thing he does there's always a negative, cunt deserves it.

What annoys me is any chants relating to how good a match or spot in a match is, mostly in TNA, primarily because the match they're watching isn't awesome, it's not the match of the year and that spot has been done millions of time before, only this time with less effect. Very few matches are worthy of the praise TNA fans (in attendance) give to them, a Steel Asylum will never be a match of the year and that bumb would be more impressive if I'd not seen two 10 seconds previous and if only, I don't know, 6 people were catching a falling wrestler. I miss the days when Don West used to drown out any of that rubbish.

The "WHAT"???? chant absolutely is hands-down the most annoying crowd chant of all time. They can and have killed many a great promo in the ring, simply because the crowd thinks they are cool by doing it.

That is truly the worst thing that WWE has ever encouraged in the past with Steve Austin, and I'm sure if they knew back then what they knew today, they would have never gone that route. It is absolutely pointless, other than being immature and disruptive to the event. It literally adds nothing to the show other than shows how many morons can fill an arena each week. It makes wrestling fans come off like a bunch of idiots whenever that crap is done.

The most recent live show I attended was a TNA house show in mid-December with IC25 and another friend that I'll keep anonymous at this time. As much as I love my anonymous buddy to death, I swear that the guy must have tried to start a crowd chant every 5 minutes of the 2 1/2 hour show. There was a point where IC25 and I looked at him after one of his feeble, failed attempts and needed to point out how annoying he really was, much to his chagrin. For the reminder of the show, he toned it down quite a bit. But that didn't stop the other 300 fans in the show from shouting out their own, annoying version of ways to garner attention from total strangers.

One can probably make an educated guess due to that pic of yours that you had in your sig for a while with you, IC, and AJ Styles (lol). Anyway, if he would have attended the show with me and started doing that crap, I would have probably disowned him and told him to find his own way home.

I think there's nothing worse or more disrespectful than the "What?" chant.

Stone Cold Steve Austin hasn't been an active member of the WWE roster since what, 2004? Why is this chant still going on? I know that there's not much that the WWE can do about it, and really, only the most gifted of promo cutters are allowed to address it and make the fans feel like idiots afterward. One of my most favorite moments regarding this was when BikerTaker was trying to cut a promo, and the fans started the "What?" treatment towards him. This prompted him to go off-script and say, "If you say 'What?' you sleep with your sister."... which of course, the morons in the audience said "What?" to.

But the thing is, if a guy who is sort of uncomfortable on the mic is out there, and he's a heel, he's going to get the "What?" treatment. Sometimes, it could be a death knell and kill their confidence. I specifically remember Sheamus getting it on the first promo he ever cut as well. It's stupid, pointless, and it makes the fans come off as being idiots. It's also a complete lack of respect to whoever is out there, trying to get over.

D-Man, this is among your most brilliant threads yet.

I went with "You fucked up" and it's not even close.

I love it when fans chant for a promotion. "TNA!" or "ECW!" is the best way a fan can signify that they feel they are getting their money's worth, and it signals to the talent that they are doing well, which can motivate.

"WHAT!?" is obnoxious, and I don't like it, but it is a nod to what an influence Steve Austin was. And it also keeps the fans involved in promos as opposed to tuning them out.

"This is awesome!" Well, see above with the TNA and ECW chants. For the fans to pay respect in unison like that is great, and if fans do that, it's their way of telling the bookers "this guy / these guys / these girls are OVER with us!"

"Borrrinnggg" is 2nd place for me, behind...

"You fucked up."

I hate when fans to that, and I'd like to fight all of them who do. It's arrogant, insulting, ridiculous. For starters, what wrestlers do is HARD, so for them to make an error is perfectly human. This happened alot during the ECW spot fests. Fans saw RVD vs Jerry Lynn in a chain wrestling spot fest (sans any realism or psychology whatsoever) and started expecting every match to be Cirque du Soleil. A wrestling match is a struggle, not an olympic figure skating exhibition. Ridiculous.

Second, it just reaffirms what much of the main stream world thinks about wrestling fans - crass, low-brow trash. "You fucked up!" is such a trashy thing to say and do. No surprise it was popularized in Philadelphia.

Fans who chant that should be ejected, phased out, and / or shot.

Bearing in mind, he is a member of the forums. Rarely ever comes on, but he's registered and has like 2 posts.

Anyway, I remember this very well, and yes, it was obnoxious. He meant well, but there is only so much chanting that has to be done. The performers in the ring have heard it, and very rarely do fans in one city come up with something innovative or entertaining. Though D-Man and I did make Slick Johnson laugh 3 or 4 times at that house show. Very cool guy.

Going back to ECW, I also remember fans chanting "She Has Herpies" at some of the females. I hated that too. At the time (I was 16) I thought it was funny, but it is also a very crass thing to say. I have yelled at other fans at hockey games and wrestling matches, reminding them that there are kids present. Have some dignity.

D-Man and I also remember a gentleman (I use the term loosely) at the TNA show who was there with his fat obnoxious 10-year old daughter, and how he started chanting "cop-killah" during Homicide's match with Amazing Red. THAT'S a message I'd want to send to my 10-year old.

In response to the criticism of the "What" chants, I think it speaks to Stone Cold's legacy. The chant continues years after he has left, that speaks to him.

Anyway, the fact is that people who pay to get in have the right to chant. If they wanna yell "What!" They can. I think it is funny because it just aggravates certain wrestlers, and it allows others to have a funny moment.

I chose this is awesome because if a moment or match needs that chant, is it really awesome? However, I did like the "This is Wrestling" chant during TNA's main event the other night. That, along with the who needs Bret I thought made a statement. But every this is awesome chant, I agree takes away from anything that is going on.

2 other options are the "asshole" and "this is bullshit" chants. Namely because if you are not at the event, and someone is talking (Bischoff), every 2 seconds gets cut, and that is really annoying.

I dont really get annoyed at chants, although "This is awesome" chant does get on my nerves a bit, as said above, the match is rarely awesome, more a heavily choreographed flipping contest. Usually it just looks shit.

"You fucked up" was quite amusing at first I'll admit, but to be honest it's not fair on wrestlers at all, they are trying to entertain you by doing something a bit crazy, they fuck it up and they get that chant for it.

Still to be honest someone slipping and falling is usually far more entertaining than someone getting it right. It's like Tommy Cooper fucking up his magic tricks.

"TNA/ECW" chants are useless in my opinion, I know it's probably just me but I have a very hard time taking a company seriously when they've got about a hundred people watching and everyone of them is chanting the company initials. Nothing screams small time more than that in my opinion.

Homestly, I approve of any and all chants with the exception of YOU FUCKED UP. As was said before, it is plain disrespectful to the wrestlers. Wrestling is hard.

I think chants are awesome and are a great way to get into the show. On Monday I was thankfully seated with a loud section who loved chanting and we enjoyed the show much more because of it. It is a way to interact and make the show more enjoyable.

Homestly, I approve of any and all chants with the exception of YOU FUCKED UP. As was said before, it is plain disrespectful to the wrestlers. Wrestling is hard.

I think chants are awesome and are a great way to get into the show. On Monday I was thankfully seated with a loud section who loved chanting and we enjoyed the show much more because of it. It is a way to interact and make the show more enjoyable.

Doc, I can agree with a lot of this. But my point of this thread is to spread awareness amongst the smarky wrestling community that decides to chant just for the sake of chanting. Realize that you're in a open crowd with tens of thousands of people that paid good money to watch a live show... not to hear some 17-year-old stoner make constant, 10-minute attempts at creating the next cult-like "What" chant. Have some respect for the rest of the audience; not to mention the wrestlers that put their bodies, humility, and lives on the line for us 300 nights a year, for cryin' out loud.

A few years back I was at fault for this. I started a "Kane Has Manboobs" chant successfully throughout the arena during a House Show. Funny at the time but cringeworthy now. I was young, that's my excuse.

As for these chants, I've got to go with ECW. Purely because most of the people chanting it now haven't even seen the original product. That chant used to mean something. Now each time I hear it I just think "If only these people weren't just forcefed the WWECW version by Big Poppa Vince like a shareholder as if the original didn't exist.". I'm a fan of the new ECW as it helps develop stars and raise midcard stars to upper midcard / main event status. But I still feel insulted hearing this chant. I guess once ECW gets a name change it will be okay.

Nice thread D-Man!

Doc, I can agree with a lot of this. But my point of this thread is to spread awareness amongst the smarky wrestling community that decides to chant just for the sake of chanting.
I don't really understand what you're getting at here. Do you mean like people chanting "Cena sucks" during a segment that has absolutely nothing to do with him? That I can agree on.
If you mean people chanting to show their support for a wrestler, match, or promotion, then I disagree. Except of course for people chanting "WHAT", or "This Is Awesome" when some guy does an armdrag. I like clever or fun chants, or chanting the names of wrestlers.

Realize that you're in a open crowd with tens of thousands of people that paid good money to watch a live show...
And this 18-year-old and the guys in his section wanted to show their enjoyment of the show by chanting and cheering. More on that later.

not to hear some 17-year-old stoner make constant, 10-minute attempts at creating the next cult-like "What" chant.
And that annoys me, I'll say. If they're chanting just to get on TV then I don't approve. If they're chanting as a way to get into the show and enjoy themselves, then it's great.

Have some respect for the rest of the audience; not to mention the wrestlers that put their bodies, humility, and lives on the line for us 300 nights a year, for cryin' out loud.

Let me tell you a story about Monday, D-Mi. Bryan Danielson was wrestling in a dark match and was extremely entertaining, so the guys in our section decided to show our respect for him by chanting "Danielson" and "Dragon". He looked over at us, and smiled. You could tell he appreciated that we knew of his background and respected him.

How is chanting a wrestler's name, or saying that a veteran still has it, or screaming and yelling disrespectful to the wrestlers? In a "Die Rocky Die" situation I can agree with you, but from your post you're trying to sound like chanting is bad. Chanting is not bad; it is audience participation that helps you get into a show. Half the reason I enjoyed ECW: One Night Stand 05 so much was the audience. A hot crowd can make an average show good, and a good show great. If chanting is how they want to enjoy themselves, try joining in. If you disagree with a chant, start a counter-chant.

Did you watch RAW? Did you hear how Bret got a "Welcome Back" chant? I'll give you three guesses on who started that one.
How about "You Screwed Bret" when Shawn Michaels came out? We did that as an acknowledgement to the history between the two and to make the moment even better.
When the guys near me were chanting "RKO" I fired back with "Sucks". It was all in good fun, and a way to have the best time one could possibly have.
Chanting is a great way to get into it, and something I approve of provided they aren't chants like "What", "You Fucked Up", or "She has herpes". If they are chants used to add to the show and enjoy yourselves while showing respect to the wrestlers, then I approve.

The "WHAT"???? chant absolutely is hands-down the most annoying crowd chant of all time. They can and have killed many a great promo in the ring, simply because the crowd thinks they are cool by doing it.

That is truly the worst thing that WWE has ever encouraged in the past with Steve Austin, and I'm sure if they knew back then what they knew today, they would have never gone that route. It is absolutely pointless, other than being immature and disruptive to the event. It literally adds nothing to the show other than shows how many morons can fill an arena each week. It makes wrestling fans come off like a bunch of idiots whenever that crap is done.

One can probably make an educated guess due to that pic of yours that you had in your sig for a while with you, IC, and AJ Styles (lol). Anyway, if he would have attended the show with me and started doing that crap, I would have probably disowned him and told him to find his own way home.

You didn't go with "You Screwed Bret"? I almost thought you would have, but sometimes you surprised me. I think any chant that has a swear in it annoys me the most. "You Fucked Up", "Asshole", "This is Bullshit". Any of those piss me the hell off. The reason? Watching any of those on television, and listening to the editing team try to sensor it out is extremely annoying. For a while, Im not sure why they did, wasn't wrestling R14 for a long time? I cant remember. So the swearing pisses me off, because it kills any work being done, censoring the fans.

I don't really understand what you're getting at here. Do you mean like people chanting "Cena sucks" during a segment that has absolutely nothing to do with him? That I can agree on.
If you mean people chanting to show their support for a wrestler, match, or promotion, then I disagree. Except of course for people chanting "WHAT", or "This Is Awesome" when some guy does an armdrag. I like clever or fun chants, or chanting the names of wrestlers.

And this 18-year-old and the guys in his section wanted to show their enjoyment of the show by chanting and cheering. More on that later.

And that annoys me, I'll say. If they're chanting just to get on TV then I don't approve. If they're chanting as a way to get into the show and enjoy themselves, then it's great.

Let me tell you a story about Monday, D-Mi. Bryan Danielson was wrestling in a dark match and was extremely entertaining, so the guys in our section decided to show our respect for him by chanting "Danielson" and "Dragon". He looked over at us, and smiled. You could tell he appreciated that we knew of his background and respected him.

How is chanting a wrestler's name, or saying that a veteran still has it, or screaming and yelling disrespectful to the wrestlers? In a "Die Rocky Die" situation I can agree with you, but from your post you're trying to sound like chanting is bad. Chanting is not bad; it is audience participation that helps you get into a show. Half the reason I enjoyed ECW: One Night Stand 05 so much was the audience. A hot crowd can make an average show good, and a good show great. If chanting is how they want to enjoy themselves, try joining in. If you disagree with a chant, start a counter-chant.

Did you watch RAW? Did you hear how Bret got a "Welcome Back" chant? I'll give you three guesses on who started that one.
How about "You Screwed Bret" when Shawn Michaels came out? We did that as an acknowledgement to the history between the two and to make the moment even better.
When the guys near me were chanting "RKO" I fired back with "Sucks". It was all in good fun, and a way to have the best time one could possibly have.
Chanting is a great way to get into it, and something I approve of provided they aren't chants like "What", "You Fucked Up", or "She has herpes". If they are chants used to add to the show and enjoy yourselves while showing respect to the wrestlers, then I approve.

Doc, I think you missed my point, but after reading my previous post I can understand why it wasn't clear.

What I'm merely saying is that chants should ONLY be made out of respect for a wrestler. If they want us to repeat their catchphrases, that's a sign of respect. If they goat us into calling them an ass hole, that's a sign of respect. If you start chanting "TNA" during a live, Smackdown broadcast, that's complete and utter bullshit whose purpose is to get noticed on television and feel good about your pathetic life for about 13 seconds.

The pro-wrestling audiences around the world seem to have forgotten the reasoning and meaning behind chants. Nowadays, they do it (either) for attention or because they enjoy being complete imbeciles.

Speaking generically, the best way to explain it is that chants should only be started for the right reasons... period.

Therefore Doc, I believe you and I are in agreement.

Oh, OK, I misunderstood your point. In that case, I am in complete agreement. Chants should be started as a reaction to what is happening in the ring, not for no reason other than to chant. In the Danielson/Chavo match, both the "Chavo Sucks" chants and the "Dragon" chants were signs of respect to the different workers in the ring.

As much fun as I had at the show, it did annoy me slightly when the guys next to me started chanting "Cena sucks" during a place where it made absolutely no sense. I understand that they have paid for their tickets and can react however they please, but at least chant where chants fit.

One thing that totally pissed me off was the "Change the channel" and "Same old shit" chants during that one infamous episode of WWECW. I understand that the old ECW crowd was super-smart, and that WWE probably didn't make the best decision having a Big Show/Batista main event, but it was just rude. It went further than just booing a wrestler you dislike. It was the height of disrespect, in my opinion.

I think when the crowd get annoyed without giving it a chance. Take Impact for example:

Match one "This is bullshit"

Main event "This is wrestling" as well as the "Who needs Bret" chants.

A bit of disrespect towards one of the greatest ever in the business as well as pretty much creaming over a show that you started chanting this is bullshit to. I just hate Smark crowds as a whole because they do take away from the in ring stuff at times.

Some chants are fine, as long as they have a point. Chanting "You Suck" at a heel is fine, in fact, it's what any good heel wants to hear. Also, I think the "Let's go Wrestler A!" "Let's go Wrestler B!" dueling chants are fun cause they just fire up the crowd and the wrestlers even more, and I think it does add to how fun the match is. Plus it's showing appreciation for both wrestlers, showing that both of them have fans.

But some chants are just annoying and they just suck. The ultra smarks who feel they need to sum up everything that's happening in chant form make me sick. And they're arguably ECW's worst contribution to the world of wrestling, because that's when and where the smarky chanting got out of control. "You fucked up." Well done, they know they fucked up. And I suppose you could do any better? Shut up.
Also, "this is awesome" pisses me off too. The crowd doesn't seem to understand that cheering is still an acceptable, not irritating, form of praise too. Why can't a crowd just cheer? It's ridiculous.

But the utmost peak of sheer ******edness in the form of a chant is easily "What?". This was made up by Austin as a way to get heat during the Two Man Power Trip era, and it worked kinda well. But then, those smarks who think that anything Austin does is instantly cool, starting what-ing. It wasn't that bad at first, usually the crowd did it during Austin's promos. But now they do it to anyone that doesn't interest them from the second they're in the ring. For all the crowd knows, they could be missing an epic promo, but the What's are drowning it out. At the moment, the people who escape the what chants, (DX, Orton, Cena, Punk and Christian, from what I've seen) are actually lucky. I mean, even Vince fucking Mcmahon got whatted when he was talking about Bret fucking Hart. That's just so stupid, and solidfies the notion that smarks are idiots.

'You Fucked Up' is extremely disrespectful and I hate when people chant that. "Boooringg" as well. It's like, they're working their asses off in that ring. It's natural after doing the show after show you might fuck up a move. I'm pretty sure they know that the moonsault they just did missed by 3 inches. Stop bitching. Watch the show or gtfo. "What?!" gets annoying because some people try to do it at random times and it just bothers me. I think it's funny when used properly, reminds me of the Austin promos. Nostalgic purposes, I guess?

Try being at a live ROH Show back in 2006 in Philly next to a bunch of moron CZW Fans chanting the most random ******ed shit. Hoooooooooooooo,Goooooooooooldbeeeeeeeeerg,This is gay This is Gay. And just ruining every Bryan Danielson Match that would happen. Outside of ROH though here are a few that annoy me.

This is Awesome- Liked it at 1st but it's sooooo overdone now that it just grrrrr's me.

What?! Oh my god man...dont get me started. But this is the single most irritating mainstream Wrestling chant.

You Suck- Thanks Edge lol

ECW ECDub- The REAL ECW has been dead since 2001 and this just feels like a low blow to a original ECW Fan like myself.

But fans are fans, their awesome and their annoying, so yeah that's about it.

I'm going to pick 2. First, I'll go with the "You fucked up! you fucked up!" chant, mistakes happen. There's no need to go on and on about it. Plus, when ever I hear this chant, I get a feeling from the crowd that they are so excited they caught a mistake....please spare us the bullshit, and get of your high horses.

The second is the infamous, " you screwed Bret" chant. Enough already! This will happen on some rare occasions(especially if HBK or Vince is in front of a live Canadian crowd) to Shawn Michaels or Vince McMahon. Montreal happened 12 years ago, it's time to move on.

I can't stand the insipid What!? chants either. Just like Vince McMahon can't. He even said on Raw "An Idiot Says" and of course the crowd chants What!? Suck It! also seems a little outdated too especially with the PG Era.

I can stomach the This is Awesome! chants if they don't say it for every match. I can even stand the You Still Got It! chants if they aren't used every time Sting gives a headlock or Jim Neidhart kicks someone.

The You Fucked Up chants are pretty stupid, especially when the fans don't give the wrestlers a chance to correct their mistake mid move before they chant. Live events are pretty rough. I went to a Raw a few years ago and some mentally challenged or drunk guy was screaming Triple H! and JBL! when they weren't even on the show.

Last year at Raw was pretty annoying too since I sat next to little kids and teenage girls screaming Cena! nonstop for 2 hours. What's worst is that every time they yelled Cena, a guy behind me yelled sucks! It was funny for 5 seconds but got annoying. Just let the kids chant. Live events lose their luster after your head is pounding and ears are bleeding.

"This is wrestling" has to be the most annoying chant ever. I've watched pro wrestling for almost fifteen years I don't need a bunch of TNA fans telling me I'm watching wrestling! I could handle the overdone "this is awesome" but "this is wrestling" is just ridiculous.

Another chant that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned more is "USA". If the chant is during the match where the heel is anti-American I can appreciate it. But if the match happens to have a Japanese wrestler and the fans mindlessly chant "USA" that is just annoying and perhaps sightly xenophobic.

There's no question in my mind, that the "What!?" has got to be the most annoying thing in the average wrestling fan's bag of shouts.

It cuts promos to pieces.

It makes people forget their lines.

It's goddamn annoying like no other.

Not one person likes it that has to work in the ring I would bet.

It just fucks the whole show up if it messes up the wrestler's train of thought enough.

It's a show killer. Bar none.

Please for God's sakes bury it WWE crowd! :banghead:

So, I ask all of you...

Does anyone else feel the same way? Are there any chants that annoy you at live shows? Are there any chants that you miss?

There aren't really any chants that I miss because the chants have never been that important in my opinion. As for the most annoying current ones? I have only been to one live show (Wrestlemania 25) but there are a couple that annoy me when I watch on tv. I have two and I'll discuss each.

I seem to be in the minority here because I actually find the "what?" chants to be amusing. I know that it's rude to yell "what?" when someone is trying to talk, but if it interrupts a character you don't like then it's funny. That cancels how the annoyance, at least in my opinion. We can agree to disagree there, as lots of you hate the "what?" chants apparently.

My vote went to the "ECW! ECW!" chant. The real ECW has been gone for almost a decade. It gets annoying to hear that chant when watching the version of ECW we have now because we all know it's not the same show.

However, an even more annoying chant is "This is Wrestling!". That's the most annoying chant because you're AT a WRESTLING show.... OF COURSE it's wrestling! Those of us at home know we are watching wrestling and don't need the fans chanting it to us. The way I see it though, the fans are just trying to have a good time. However, I do agree that they could tone it down a little and not try to start chants as often because you should be there to watch what's going on in the ring not starting chants.

The "USA!" chant is hands down the most annoying chant ever for me. I can understand it being used against a wrestler with an anti-american gimmick, but I can't stand it when it's used on a heel who happens to be a foreigner. It's mindless, ignorant and borderline xenophobic.

I remember there was a match a few years ago between Tajiri, who was the face, and I think Regal, but I'm not sure. It was definately another foreign wrestler who was heel. Anyway the crowd started a loud "USA" chant and King goes "JR, why are these fans chanting USA?" and JR, trying to be the face goes "well, I'm pretty sure they're chanting against Regal, King" and King goes "well, maybe they're chanting against Tajiri; he's not American."

For a while, Drew McIntyre was able to get away from it and get normal heel heat. Then he had a promo on Smackdown and a USA chant started, even though he didn't mention America at all. That's why I always feel bad for new heels who are foreign because I know they'll get heat only because of where they come from other than what they're doing in the ring.

The "What?" chant doesn't annoy me unless it's used on newer guys who are trying to get themselves over (ie. Sheamus, McIntyre). It hurts them and it's detrimental to me because I'm trying to see what these guys are all about and it's hard to do that when their promos are constantly interrupted with those chants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back