"What?" Chants

The What? chant was funny back when Stone Cold first started saying it. Now it's just overkill, almost every time someone talks, you hear the chant.. R-Truth makes it hilarious though, "Don't you what me." But I find Miz's "Really?" and Ryder's "Woo Woo Woo you know it" more annoying..

Do you know WHAT i'd take an arena full of fans shouting WHAT every two minutes, before some of the totally dead WWE crowds that have been witnessed over the years! Some might find it annoying but at least it gets the audience interacting with the show, rather than looking like they have been paid to be there, and they would rather be anywhere else in the world!

The WHAT chant actually works very well for Truth because he engages with it which I find rather funny and entertaining. There are many other things which are far more annoying than the WHAT chant IMO

SickJames is the only person who chose to curse on this board. I am glad someone with such an elementary mind disagrees with me. He's probably sitting at his comp with a Jake Roberts T-shirt on, covering his Tito Santana sombrero tattoo. Thank you everyone else for responding, agree or disagree, and giving reasons.

It does annoy me, the fact it's still around after all this time. I can tolerate it though unlike Vickies "exuse me". I guess if you are at the event you just get carried away with it. I have only been to one WWE PPV and I can't remember if it was chanted but it was around at the time. This is a great clip of the Undertaker dealing with the crowd chanting What?. Further shows how brilliant the Undertaker is at his job.

[YOUTUBE]HyKPySrEdK0[/YOUTUBE]

wwe loves the what chants! because it get's the crowd activie and it tests the mic skillz of the superstar and they like to see how they will adapt to it.

r truth and the miz are good at it :)

*sigh* people complain about the tiniest of things. If you don't like the what! Chants, simply mute the television.

Honestly though, I think people should just suck it up, and deal with it. It's only a chant. A one word one too. But then again, I am posting this in a place where people consider themselves to be better than the average fan, simply because they're on the net. That basically means: I'll probably get bashed, or insulted. That, and people will continue hating the what! Chants.

Mute the television? Do you really think that someone who finds a particular part of a show annoying will take "mute the television" as a serious remedy? The whole point is to express how I feel it is taking away from the broadcast. Muting is a mindless response; so, yes, you are now bashed. Not for the reason you thought, or for writing "sigh" like some little girl, but for responding with a foolish suggestion.

There can be times where "what?" chant can be used to show displeasure of the promo, which is totally understandable. Instead of booing it can be used as a good chant to get under the skin of the wrestler.

However... There are times, and this is not just a few, where the "what" chant ruins a promo. They are trying to go on with a storyline, trying to do a promo, and while you are listening to the wrestler he gets the "what" chant suddenly. The problem is, if 10-20 people starts chanting "what" the rest follows straight away. As I said, yes there are times where it makes the promo fun, but there are times where it ruins the promo as well.

Vickie gets more heat for just saying "Excuse me" than any of the wrestlers get for their promos. Monday when she was in the ring with all the guys she got the most heat it was great. Vickie is the most over performer in the WWE right now lol Crazy! R-Truth is just flat out great right now this whole crazy gimmick works for him!

I agree with people saying that it is a modern boo but sometimes its hard to tell if its just heat for the character or blantant disrespect for the performer.

On this past weeks raw I heard mark henry getting the chant ( his promos are good), also Otunga and I think Wade barret a lil too. But none for swagger who isnt that good on the mic. I just think its not right because it seems like people in the crowd are being biased. Why not "what" Cena or ziggler?

Was it just me or did the chants almost break out during edges retirement announcement? Anyone catch that?

Mute the television? Do you really think that someone who finds a particular part of a show annoying will take "mute the television" as a serious remedy? The whole point is to express how I feel it is taking away from the broadcast. Muting is a mindless response; so, yes, you are now bashed. Not for the reason you thought, or for writing "sigh" like some little girl, but for responding with a foolish suggestion.

congrats. You have exercised your god given right to be stupid. Why on earth should the what? chants be taken away from the broadcast for? People have a right to use it, and i think they use it just to annoy people like you.

and buddy boy, muting the television at an annoying part of the show, is what people usually do. that or they change the channel. but then, i wouldn't expect an idiotic moron like you to understand that. so, fuck you, and fuck tu madre

There can be times where "what?" chant can be used to show displeasure of the promo, which is totally understandable. Instead of booing it can be used as a good chant to get under the skin of the wrestler.

However... There are times, and this is not just a few, where the "what" chant ruins a promo. They are trying to go on with a storyline, trying to do a promo, and while you are listening to the wrestler he gets the "what" chant suddenly. The problem is, if 10-20 people starts chanting "what" the rest follows straight away. As I said, yes there are times where it makes the promo fun, but there are times where it ruins the promo as well.

Quoted for truth. I just saw a recent promo where I was really into what the wrestler was going to say when I heard the "What"s. It really took away from the moment for me, personally. (Name escapes me at the moment, but it was definitely during the last week.)

I wish people would be able to understand the magnitude of certain moments and shut up instead of just spouting off "What" at every pause in a sentence.

I think it says a lot about people who whine and bitch about a chant that perhaps gets the fans involved in the show more than any other. The whole point of going to a WWE event is to have fun and to share a great experience with other wrestling fans. If they want to keep the chant going, let them. I know I've had fun doing it at WWE shows in the past. Gets me into it. I'm sure it's the same case for a lot of fans. Just because Stone Cold started it doesn't mean that it has to be retired along with him. If anything, it's helping to keep his legacy alive.

I think it says a lot about people who whine and bitch about a chant that perhaps gets the fans involved in the show more than any other. The whole point of going to a WWE event is to have fun and to share a great experience with other wrestling fans. If they want to keep the chant going, let them. I know I've had fun doing it at WWE shows in the past. Gets me into it. I'm sure it's the same case for a lot of fans. Just because Stone Cold started it doesn't mean that it has to be retired along with him. If anything, it's helping to keep his legacy alive.

I totally get that and agree with what you said, but sometimes, you really want to hear what someone has to say, and the chants do ruin the moment. It comes off as lame when someone's trying to cut a bigtime promo...or maybe it's just me.

Miz and Truth use it to their advantage by mocking the fans who do chant what! Which in turn gives them more heat and then you have other people who just pause and keep going, Miz and Truth make fun of them which draws more heat and sometimes makes them stop

Back to people with a brain, yes that's true. It is used by some, but for the most part, I find it to be a distraction from progressing storylines. Especially when we are in such an important time...storylines that are actually going somewhere for the first time in a long time.

It's just a form of audience participation. Most people these days wouldn't even know where it originated from. I think it's annoying as hell to watch from home, but to be fair, if I was at a live event and the chant started I would probably join in too.

the what chant is soooo awesome!!!!! for one thing its austins fault that its so popular. plus if wrestlers could cut promos the audience wouldnt have to say "what" all the time. givin r-truth has gotten better on the mic but people did it for austin and he was great so i should imagine its kinda an honour?

I can't really add much that hasn't been said already and how it puts me off that the majority of people doing it don't even know the who, what, where, when and how it started. It to me is like people going crazy for Diesel at the Royal Rumble, which I would've expected like maybe 10-20% of the crowd to know the gimmick.

The "What?" chants makes me want to take my Delorean back to the Austin era and stop it from ever happening.

As a former performer (not wrestler, actor) I'm always interested to see how the superstars react to this annoying disruption to their promo. And what some have pointed out I think needs to be emphasized. It's on the talent to eliminate "What", not the audience.

Someone pointed out how R-Truth got the what chants, and the Miz didn't. It has nothing to do with respect....ok well maybe it does...but it has more to do with the rhythm pro wrestlers speak. They speak a sentence, give it a moment to land, and speak their next line. But it's that moment to land that allows the what's to come in. If they flow their thoughts together more like Miz has been doing, there's no chance for the "What!"

I saw a Raw in Minneapolis a couple years ago, and my section tried to start a "What" chant against a Miz promo. They could never get the word in edge wise because Miz didn't allow it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back