• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Alberto Del Rio Wins The Royal Rumble

Before the rumble I thought either Cena or Del Rio would win, and in a way, they both did. A Cena/Miz feud was set up in how Cena was eliminated, and of course, Del Rio actually won the rumble. Right now, you have 3 matches lined up for WrestleMania: Cena/Miz, Punk/Orton, & Edge/Del Rio. Add to that the rumors of The Undertaker facing Barrett & HHH facing Sheamus, and the card is shaping up pretty nicely. I also wonder if you might see a Big Show/Diesel match, considering how they stared each other down as Show came to the ring.

As for Del Rio-what other heel is there on Smackdown? The Kane/Edge thing was awful and does not need to be re-hashed. I doubt a Ziggler/Edge feud could last for another 2 months, unless you actually put the title on Ziggler. Who is left? Del Rio is ready, and he'll be helped by working with a proven vet like Edge.

With Edge using Christians finisher, it seems like Christian will fit in somehow with the Elimination Chamber. You know the headline will be Cena vs Miz just for the mainstream attention they will both bring. I like Del Rio winning it and I think he has all the star power in the world, I am just interested to see how they will tie this all together. You have to admit, CM Punk was the man tonight. I would've loved to have seen him last all of the way through. He was the highlight of the rumble for me and I don't even really like him....

Who cares? This is bullshit. Does anyone need tickets to WrestleMania? I officially give up on WWE for what WAS a good Royal Rumble, turned to shit by that pathetic excuse for a wrestler winning it. Good one WWE, you once again failed at bringing the Entertainment part of your company.

How can you get this upset at wrestling? It's wrestling! So yeah I am guessing you are 12 years old... HA!

But I am very happy that Del Rio won the RR. He deserves it. I thought Santino had it at the last minute haha I'm glad he lost tho. I am guessing he will take on the WHC at WM which will most likely be Edge... I hope.

finally! a "main event in the making" wins the rumble instead of the predictible injury returner (who already is in main event *coughtriplehjohnhcenaedgecough*) or the main eventer when writers couldnt come up with a better finish (Cena, Orton)

Look at the past winners
2002- Trips (already a former champ and main-evented almost all 2000 ppvs. Injury return)
2003- Lesnar (sure, already a former champ there, it solidifed him)
2007- Undertaker (just unecessary, but cool to add to his repitore)
2008- Cena (undeserving)
2009- Orton (already a main eventer)
2010- Edge (injury main eventer) big friggin deal!!

2004 and 2005 were exceptions- Benoit won in 2004. Finally his talent solidified his status and won the title.
2005- in what could of been a 94 Luger/Hart finish. Both Cena and runner up Batista began their climb this year.

I hope Del Rio goes all the way and makes Edge tap out in the main event. He has the ball, now must run with it. And ruin with it he will. GO DEL RIO!

Why was Cena "underserving"? Because he's 'John Cena' and all the cool kids in the IWC hate him so that means he shouldn't have won the Rumble? Right...

I don't mind Del Rio winning at all. Unfortunately it sets up what is probably going to be a terrible WM card. Punk vs Orton seems alright, but Miz vs Cena? Ugh seriously? No thanks. Hopefully SOMETHING happens to change that. I really wish Morrison won the Rumble.

initially i thought the rumble was horrible, and was pissed when cm punk didn't make it passed cena. i liked the part when the nexus was just waiting for someone new to come out, but i initially thought that should have happened at towards the end of the match. then cena and hornswoggle in there was just a joke and a half and really pissed me off that they eliminated cm punk for that terrible comedy act.

but once ADR won the match i realized that wwe actually set up some good feuds for WM. they have CM Punk vs. Orton (obviously since punk screwed orton), Cena vs. The Miz (obviously since Miz screwed cena), and then the last one would be ADR vs Edge. I think the last match has the possibility of having Christian added to it as well because of when Edge used the unprettier and because it was ADR that took Christian out storyline wise. and then if you really want to try to predict crazy stuff, you still have barrett vs undertaker for when the nexus took him out and a corre vs nexus match if Tarver joins the corre.

Who cares? This is bullshit. Does anyone need tickets to WrestleMania? I officially give up on WWE for what WAS a good Royal Rumble, turned to shit by that pathetic excuse for a wrestler winning it. Good one WWE, you once again failed at bringing the Entertainment part of your company.

um do u know what a wrestler is?? hes got the complete package and excuse me but i thought the rumble was supposed to be exciting and unpredictable guess u like it boring and bland eh? alberto winning the rumble is great wwe is high up on him and i expect he wins the title at mania!!!! i personally love del rio he reminds me of the old school wrestlers and has the same energy! i mean look at him his made for the wwe my guess is that your a miz fan and for that i feel sorry for u
Alberto del rio for champion!

Great way to do it however maybe its not edge headlining wreslemania. They like putting in triple h against the newer guys. It wouldn't be too farfetched to see triple h winning elimination chamber would it.

What was the point in Booker T and Diesel being in it? ...

I'm not really seeing why?

Del Rio is decent. He's fueded with Matt Somebody, Christian, Rey, was in the fatal four way TLC match he was easily in most people's top 5 to win before the match started. I didn't want him to win but that's cool.

THANK YOU!

It was pretty stupid IMO to give Kevin Nash (freaking DIESEL) what like 2min time? And same with Booker. So he has one minute to pretty much show off his moveset and do his little gimmick, and then boom..cya? Really WWE..

To be perfectly honest, I dont like the way Del Rio was booked, and the fact he "squared off" with Santino just shows how much of a joke this is. He gets beaten like a rag doll by the Viper himself,and was pretty much the weakest of the final 4.

Don't get me wrong, Im happy neither Cena or Orton won, cause honestly they don't need this win. (though I'll never get how someone who doesn't compete in the contest, have the right to eliminate someone) All honesty, I think this match was not booked in Del Rio's favor.

I have been really feeling a disconnect with the current product, so I cannot really say this excites me. On the one hand I am glad someone other than Cena or Orton won, but at the same time if TNA took a talent of this level and allowed him to win a match of this calber I don't think people would be heaping praise on the decision.

I don't see this joker headlining WM this year - I expect he will lose his shot to Orton or Cena and end up facing Santino at WM.

Of course they wouldn't. WWE fans jizz when Del Rio wins The Rumble, but they shat on Jeff Hardy winning the TNA title, or even Rob Van Dam, when both of them are bigger superstars than Del Rio, and Van Dam is light years ahead of Del Rio - wrestling wise.

What the fuck does Del Rio have that noone else has? A Car? A stupid grin on his face? The guy is absolutely MEDIOCRE in the ring. He does nothing. How can fans be so fucking stupid? I bet people would've supported Santino winning the Rumble.

"Well he's got a fun personality and he's not a bad wrestler and he's entertaining"

I'm mostly pissed about the fact that THE Royal Rumble, the one thing that kept its prestige in WWE is now just another prop. First the belts, then King of The Ring, now Royal Rumble.

WWE is a dead, sad company.

Pathetic???? He is easily in the top 5, maybe top 3 in the company of overall talent. No disrespect, but you have no idea how smart this. Del Rio shows all the signs of a superstar! I can't wait till he beats "Mr. Overrated" Edge. I am a Del Rio Mark if you can't tell, btw I'm sure you wanted Orton to win, another guy who has no idea what's good for business

I didn't want Orton or Cena to win, but Del Rio wasn't better. Del Rio is boring, he's good on the mic, but he just acts cocky. BTW, Del Rio's matches all suck, all he does thats good is the turnbuckle enzugiri. Otherwise, all he does is punch people while they are on the ground, it's boring.

On Topic, this royal rumble was good until CM Punk got eliminated. The Nexus thing was awesome, but WWE ruined it with Cena's superhero routine. Than Hornswoggle came out to the REAL fans dismay. Diesel coming out was EPIC, same with Booker T. I wanted either CM Punk, or a returning Christian to win. Del Rio hasn't proved to me that he can make an excellent match. And I sure as hell know, that he can't make a better match with Edge, than Chris Jericho did. Miz vs Cena sounds better than Del Rio vs Edge. Orton vs CM Punk sounds OK. Barrett vs Undertaker sounds good, not great. The royal rumble was good until Eve won the title, and Hornswoggle actually thinking doing the moves he did actually impressed anybody.

Although I hoped to see someone else win the Rumble, I was satisfied to see a non WWE/World Champion win. With the Raw matches looking to be set, I think this would be the perfect time for Triple H to return and win the smackdown elimination chamber staging Alberto del Rio vs Triple H for Wrestlemania.
If Miz is going to go the distance as champ I wouldnt mind seeing Edge drop the belt. The EC is 3 weeks away and doesnt need that much time to build. An addition Triple H made a return in October against Alberto del Rio at a fan appreciation event. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBhLu-kv4fY
They can build it similar to the Sheamus fued where rio is young and cocky and rio can hold over Triple H that a young guy already almost ended his career. Everyone may not like this idea but it could work

@Kenvin

I agree it's not like he even had a strong showing, He took ages to get to the ring. he didn't dominate anybody in the 1 on 1 moments. He didn't hit his finishing move. He went in really late. Did Nothing. and Won with Santino being the RUNNER UP .... I mean this booking made the Miz look relatively brave..

WWE doesn't have a choice. Wrestlemania's going to be crap this year. They have to build up these young bucks NOW so that WM isn't crap next year. The vets from the Attitude era are going extinct and there won't be any of them to hold up the company, sooner than later. I wasn't big on the winner tonight but understand. BTW wasn't that move by John Morrison the greatest in Rumble History? Just saying...

Well, despite everyones dismay, Del Rio won the Royal Rumble. First of all I am shocked that Vince would not offer this spot to the many, many, many deserving participants such as JoMo,Drew McIntyre,Sheamus, or anybody thats been there for more than 11months. The WWE is forcing these new superstars down our throats at a rapid pace. One thing is for sure, if the headliners for WrestleMania are The Miz and Del Rio, it'll be by far the WORST WrestleMania ever!! Sure these guys are young, and have alot to offer, but why not make them earn it! How do you think The Big Show feels after watching Del Rio win the Rumble? How about Kane? Del Rio winning is blatant disrespect to all the Veterans in the locker room.

Dont for one second think that I am not aware of Del Rios lineage and global influence. I know exactly how good is he supposed to be, but the wwe universe has yet to see him carry a match, or have a great match with an awful opponent. Its too soon, he doesnt deserve it, and other ppl did.

For all of the people who think that Alberto Del Rio is not an established superstar, dont' forget that he is one of Mexico's best wrestlers......watch some of his tapes if you are an unlearned noob and see why they are going to put him in the main event at wrestlemania. He does some of the best promo work I've seen in quite a while. He gets incredible heat, so why not have him main event the biggest pay per view of the year. It's actually refreshing to see someone who can actually wrestle and win the Royal Rumble. So for once be happy.

And for all of the John Morrison marks out there, he needs to go back and be repackaged as a heel before he gets championship gold any time. Yes he does put on five star matches but his mic work is shitty. He does better as a heel.

I like but to me I ask the Question Del Rio took out Christian Storyline Wise so could this set-up a Christian vs. Del Rio World title Match at WM when Christian wins it at EC(I know Whishful thinking) and hell add Edge and make it a triple threat.

Why does every one keep saying he's part of the youth movement Del Rio is 33. That's older than Orton by three years. If he hadn't been singed when he was the WWE would of been screwed by there new no signing over 30 policy.

And for the record, Del Rio is not as young as everyone thinks he is. He is 33 and that is almost past the prime age to where you should start main eventing if you want to get anywhere in the WWE.

33.... 40

Do you know what those are? The first number is the age of Alberto Del Rio. The second is RVD's age. THAT is why people thought giving the title to RVD was such an idiotic idea. TNA is taking already established talent and giving them the title and basing their storylines around old men. Of course RVD is still a very capable wrestler and has every right to have the belt. But for fucks sake establish your own talent. Then giving the title to Hardy, sure it was a shocker and definitely pretty cool at first but it got killed and they rushed the belt on to Anderson in a completely (EVEN FOR STAGED WRESTLING) unrealistic way. The writing on TNA is absolutely fucking horrible.

Was Del Rio winning the Rumble a risky idea? Yes. Obviously. But who says its going to fail? He is not terrible in the ring or whatever these moronic critics are saying, he's damn good in the ring. His promos are fantastic and he's very over as a heel. The main event picture needed another wrestler and it's got one now. Let's see what he can do. You can bitch and moan all you want about this guy and that guy but in the end everyone started somewhere and Del Rio's road to prestige starts here.

I seriouslywould have rather seen Hornswoggle win over ADR, this idiot doesn't deserve the time of day let alone a R.R. win.

And until Tattoo stops screaming his name I will continue to turn the channel when he comes on the screen.

LOL at all the Del Rio haters. These are probably the same idiots who would be complaining about how predictable it was if Cena, Orton, Triple H, etc would've won. Some people just love to bitch and moan, don't they?

It makes sense. We know it's going to be Orton vs. Punk and Cena vs. Miz at Wrestlemania. Why not use the Royal Rumble to set up the other title match? It gives Del Rio a boost that Orton or Cena didn't need, and those matches are actually set up better without the win, because they got screwed out of the title by their opponent.

So Del Rio will go on to challenge Edge. Orton will fight Punk, Cena will fight Miz...one of those matches will be for the WWE title. Based on their staredown, I think we may see Big Show vs. Diesel. Barrett vs. Taker if Taker is healthy. Triple H vs. Sheamus? Triple H doesn't seem to be in a hurry to come back though. That's a halfway decent show right there.

This is a great move by WWE. At the start of the show I had two wishes. Ziggler to beat Edge and either ADR or JoMo to win the Rumble. I walked away happy. Del Rio will probably wait until after EC to tease out who he is facing at WM, but it'll probably be Edge, leaving Cena V The Miz as the main event. I'm totally cool with this. ADR is the freshest face they have had in ages, is fantastic on the mic, works well against different types of opponents (Kane, Rey etc), and if the heat he gets here is any indication, is doing his job of a hell just fine. He and JoMo are the future of WWE. The future is here.

Oh, and for all those posters who are hoping for Christian to somehow get in the main event of Wrestlefreakingmania!? It ain't gonna happen. Not this year, not any year.

I like Del Rio, but I think its too soon. Hes been around for about 6 or so months, and I feel that pushing hinm too early will ccause what i like to call that i just came up with "Swagger Syndrome" He may win the Title, win one defense,lose it, and then be nowhere to be found. So, Ithink it might backfire
Or perhaps this will be "Sheamus Syndrome" where he gets his title reign and becomes a legit threat from here on out.

The best thing? I'm sorry I forgot the name of the dumbass who said this, and I'm too lazy to scroll up, but the best thing?

What about John Morrisson? Miz and Morisson, so much history. Two young guys main eventing Mania. Youth Movement at its best. But nooooo. They gotta give it to Del Rio so he'll go and face that half-assing racoon-eyed jackass Edge ... a-a-a-a-AGAIN, and Miz vs Cena in the coming future .. a-a-a-a-AGAIN.

This is bullshit. The entire Rumble was absolutely dreadful. Nothing was done right. Alberto Del Rio is mediocre, it's not time for him to win a 40 MAN ROYAL RUMBLE. Anyone who disagrees is a blind piece of shit of a WWE mark. Period. Del Rio is not big enough of a star to win THe Rumble. Any Rumble. This is just another case of WWE shoving shit down people's throats and of course you're all gonna like it and ask for more because WWE said so.

What was the point of this rumble? Nexus buries half the roster, Hornswoggle buries the other half, Diesel and Booker T last 2 minutes in the ring (are you surprised?). Miz eliminates Cena when he's in the middle of a feud with Randy Orton (?) and the rest is a clusteruck.

This is absolutely dreadful.
You, sir or ma'am, need to chill out. I love when people go off stating their opinion as fact. "Nothing was done right," you say? Well, how would you have booked everything? People like to say what they don't like, but then offer very little in the way of alternatives. I guess you'd have had JoMo win the Rumble. OK, cool, I wouldn't have hated that. What else would you have done?

Also, the Miz-Orton feud is over, or did you miss the end of the title match when Miz won thanks to Punk? That means that Miz, as was pointed out, has now beat Orton three-straight times. That feud is over, so Miz is moving on to Cena. Hardly what I would call "in the middle of a feud with Randy Orton."

Who, exactly, did Nexus and Hornswoggle bury that really matter? R-Truth? Big deal.

It's wrestling, bub. If you don't like what you see, watch something else. If you think the product is crap, watch something else. If I watch a TV show and don't like that they've changed things, I don't watch it anymore. Maybe the "blind piece of shit of a WWE mark" is the one who watches the show only to bitch about it afterward. Move on, but most definitely chill the fuck out.

They're giving the guy a chance. Cena and Orton will more than likely be in major matches at the Royal Rumble anyways. The Game isn't back yet, and Edge already has a title. Sticking Del Rio in as the winner was a great move. He;s got charisma, and is actually MORE than ready (He's more experienced at this kinda thing than Cena...) and will put on a great match.

If thats how you feel, I just feel hes not at that level yet. I'm not denying the guys abilities. I personally feel hes not ready to main event the biggest stage of them all. However I remain optimistic and am willing to give him a chance but as it stands right now I feel it may be to early for Del Rio. This, is just how I feel.

Two things surprise me here:

1) The Del Rio hate. Yes, I agree it seems too soon. I would have preferred a build up of some sort to main event status. Going from upper middle card/lower main eventer to headline Wrestlemania is a tad much for me. But I can't see the hatred people have for the guy.

2) The John Morrison love. The guy has some flashy moves (too spot monkey for my liking, but hey, to each their own) but the dude is absolute garbage on the mic. It's not just a case of being slightly mediocre, he is one of the worst in the company. How on earth can you hype a Wrestlemania match if one of the participants cannot cut a promo?

My personal hope was that recent interviews were a swerve and a returning Jericho would have shown up to win it. But all things considered, while not one of my top choices, Del Rio is not necessarily a bad one. I don't see him an Edge being "money" though. IF it goes that route, then it simply won't be the Main Event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back