• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Alberto Del Rio Wins The Royal Rumble

I still can't believe WWE decided to have Del Rio win the Rumble. I was speechless for a few minutes, because I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. I seriously thought Randy Orton was moments away from winning is second Rumble match. I thought Del Rio had ZERO chance of winning this.

I have been high on Del Rio since his debut, and yes, I'm very happy WWE decided to do this. If Orton or Cena would've won, then I GUARANTEE you plenty of people would've been bitching about WWE "playing it safe" or "doing the same old shit again." WWE tries do something new. They go for the shock factor, and they're are still plenty of people complaining. Nothing WWE does can satisfy some people these days.

Anyway, Del Rio has been awesome since his debut, and I seriously wouldn't be surprised if he won World Championship gold at Wrestlemania. He has quickly shoot up the ladder as big time heel in WWE, and I do think he has a very bright future.

I'm still marking out following last night. I am incredibly excited to see Del Rio moving up in the pecking order, and making his way to the Main Event of WrestleMania. Del Rio has impressed me so much since his debut and has been a great addition to the WWE roster since debuting. He's had an excellent ride thus far and the Rumble victory sets him up to be a big star in the forth-coming years. Alberto is going to WrestleMania, and I have a feeling that won't be the final time I say that.

I can't agee with you more, I mean I'm not marking out, even thought I am a Del Rio mark, but he deserves this. Now I understand he has only been in WWE for a yr or so, but since when did that matter? Swerves sell, and not only that, ADR is as talented as anybody on the WWE roster, I mean he has always been spectacular in the ring, and is one of the best speakers on the mic. TBH Jo-Mo might, and I use that word loosely, have been a better pick, but honestly who would've paid for Cena vs Miz, or Orton vs Miz. Hell I'd even say Orton vs Cena had Orton won last night. The point is WWE wants new faces in the main event picture and who better than an on the rise talent like Del Rio. BTW he obviously is doing his job right, he has so many haters on here right now, it really is sad.

I woke up this morning before work, went on my computer, typed in wwe.com, and was overcome by shock, disappointment, and automatic boredom. I hate this move. Not because I don't like Del Rio, that's a part of it, but it's not the whole thing. It's because there's nothing exciting about him to me. He has an annoying theme song, a new car every week, a personal ring announcer, and nothing exciting. He's decent on the mic, but he doesn't ever make me think, "Wow, what a great promo." In the ring he's boring, but maybe that's because I never watch Smackdown. But from what I've seen, I don't feel he should be at a status anywhere higher than midcarder. I wanted Morrison to win. He's nothing special on the mic either, but at least he can perform in the ring. John Morrison provides me with an "Oh my god!" every time he's in the ring. Del Rio doesn't give me that, he makes me tired, and no one really wants to see a main event with some guy that no one cares about vs. whoever the champ is. No one cares about Smackdown, and no one will care about the Smackdown Main Event.

You need to remember whomever Del Rio faces at Wrestlemania it will not be on the last match of Wrestlemania, it will be another mid card World Title match, current plan as of writing is that McMahon wants Undertaker v Wade Barrett to close the show, preceeded with John Cena v The Miz.

I for one, am ECSTATIC with the most of Royal Rumble this year. It was a breath of fresh air, (Divas match aside.) Anyways, they did a great job highlighting the young upstarts, and showcasing the regular favorites as well. I'm still interested more than ever to see this Miz/Cena/Cole/King kinda sh-tick. More than ever, if Nash/Booker T will be regulars. Especially the fact that MY BOY, Barrett eliminated Nash (after that drunk video thing) :worship: Kinda poetic justice, eh? But, of all things, ADR, making his usual grand entrance, I was still blown away. People at the bar where I was at, I thought it wouldn't get better than the $1 shots we were getting, but hell yes, ADR last man standing.

Suddenly, a dark cloud loomed, and Santino emerged....:wtf: Everyone freaked out. I like him and all, but NOT WM main event, unless its for crappiest comic jobber standing. But luckily for us, our gold panty wearing ADR pulled out his best over the rope tired bit, and pulled out his win. Do I care what others think that "Its too soon?" No. Need I remind you, Gail Kim won the Women's Title her FIRST NIGHT on WWE back when she first debuted in the E. So, I think this could be a VERY eventful next few months leading up to WM 27. I think the future looks bright all around.

I am not a hater of Alberto del Rio but this one is a fault of WWE. For those of you who did not know, ADR is a former MMA fighter and he has won many matches there. So you cannot question his ring skills. For his mic skills, I think it is also great. He has spanish accent but he uses the mic well. The way he insulted Rey Mysterio at their feud was awesome and his feud against Christian was good too.

My problem with WWE is that they pushed ADR as a heel. What if they introduced ADR as face? I mean that is total ownage. During MMA he was using a luchadore mask. I mean if WWE allowed ADR to use his mask then I think that is pure money if he is face just like Rey Mysterio.

Imagine if WWE made ADR's debut like this:
Rey Mysterio has a feud, maybe against Kane that time. And then ADR comes out and saves Rey from Kane. They form a tag team of Mexicano's with luchadore masks and that is really awesom. Like classic wrestling figures where they use masks. They will be dominant as tag team champs and I think that would be great.

However, WWE introduced him as heel and I think his heel gimmick is crap. That's why lots of people complain here that ADR is boring even as heel. For me, his heel gimmick doesn't suit him. Just a ripoff of JBL's gimmick combined with Brock Lesnar's type of push.

The way I see it, nothing makes the IWC happy.

Example:

You don't want Triple H to win the Rumble because he is already established etc.

You want someone new and something unexpected to happen. So they take a gamble on Alberto Del Rio a fresh new face to WWE but also experienced in terms of in ring ability despite only being in WWE for a few months.

What happens? The IWC bitches about it.

Let's run off some potential other up and coming superstars that could have won it but the IWC still having something to say about it:

If...

Kofi Kingston won it, you would bitch that he doesn't have the mic skills and is sloppy in the ring and not ready to be Main Event.

John Morrison won it, you would bitch that he is not over and doesn't have the mic skills.

Dolph Ziggler won it, you would bitch that he isn't ready for the Main Event scene.

Sheamus won it, ...I'm sure theres something someone would bitch about.

Daniel Bryan won it,.... you would bitch that he is too small to be Main Eventing Wrestlemania.

However if any of the following...

Randy Orton, Edge, John Cena, HHH won it, you would all complain that it is stale.

There is no win.

I'm glad Del Rio has a chance to be a part of history. We have seen Orton and Cena when it time and time again. I wouldn't have been disappointed if Barret won though or even someone like Morrison. I just hope Del Rio can make that transition into a top main event heel. He does get a decent reaction, but I don't think fans will take him seriously. Obviously he has no problem with the IWC since everyone loves Del Rio on here.

I think he has a bright future, but I hope WWE hasn't catapulted him too early.

First off, on an off topic note - Argh shit, I lost a bet :(

Alberto Del Rio winning was warranted though. Not only has he been working very well ever since his debut, being absolutely gold both in the ring as well as on the microphone. But Alberto has also been feuding with a main event talent in Rey Mysterio, as well as having matches with upper mid-carders and main eventers all around the WWE. He has been against Edge, he has been against Daniel Bryan, John Morrison, R-Truth and more. And he has been able to either beat all of them, or having been able to put on a great effort in a loss (Which can help you too, mind you).

I'll admit that I didn't necessarily like the fact that WWE had him choosing who to face this early, because it kinda screams for a "lock" in terms of what is bound to happen for the World Heavyweight Championship and it's champion, unless of course they have it changing over to another faces hands.

Either way, I'm actually pretty satisfied with this victory. I'll admit there was other choices that could've been good as well, or made more sense. But in the end, I think this is more than enough to live with, and I'm gonna be excited as hell to see how WWE plans on carrying Alberto Del Rio to Wrestlemania. After all, I'd like to think they need to do a little better than the Edge build from last year.

Also, I'm calling it now. Alberto Del Rio will most likely become the first heel to win his first world title at Wrestlemania.

Like a select few, I was ecstatic when ADR won the Rumble and for many reasons.

1) He actually did what he said he would! Win the Rumble. When has someone ever claimed they would win the Royal Rumble and actually won it?

2) It freshens up the Main Event scene (or lack of with Smackdown right now).

3) It was actually an unpredictable winner. In some aspects, it was slightly predicatable because he was the only one with momentum due to the fact he was appearing on both shows pretty often en route to the Royal Rumble, but there still wasn't a forsure pick for a winner.

4) This feud with Edge could help him work on aspects of his character that aren't too strong (mic work and gaining better type of heat with the crowd).

5) ADR's Road To Wrestlemania might be the most interesting to follow, just because he's only about a year into his WWE career.

I would have liked to see John Morrison win (originally, he was my first pick to win the Rumble), but I feel like he wouldn't have been looked at as a legit contender to either title right now.

I don't understand why people are mad that ADR won. He's a fresh face. Was it not better than Orton or Cena winning it? Or a potentially returning Triple H Pedigreeing and eliminating everyone in sight to win? I guess Scofield said it best, there is no win with the IWC. :icon_neutral:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back