A Sane Man's Veiw on CM Punk's Title Win.

What are you talking about?

It's not like CM Punk is some new guy who has never been on PPVs or on TV. He's been featured regularly for years. Personally, I don't know anyone who buys a PPV because one guy is fighting for the belt...they buy the PPV because of all the matches. I'm just as likely to buy a PPV that CM Punk is on whether he is fighting for the title or not.

He's also been champion before. Numerous times. So that's nothing new.

He's also (supposedly) the top merchandise seller, so that must mean something.

His promo/feud over the summer was picked up on ESPN and other major sports press.

I'd hate to break it to you but no one is buying a PPV or watching the WWE for just John Cena or just Randy Orton or just CM Punk or just anyone.

And yes, just about anything done by The Rock or Stone Cold will beat anything done by anyone today. Those guys are on another level to the point where you can't even say there will be a next Rock or SCSA. Wrestling is in a down time now. That's the way it is.

CM Punk is the best in the WWE. That is not an opinion, that is a fact. If you choose to ignore that fact, that's on you.

The problem is everyone thinks "such and such" is the next rock or austin.... Instead of paying attention for what makes them original. All of you right now are so wrapped up in in looking for similarities, I bet you can't name what makes Punk original. Punk is the only guy who's "in ring persona" reflects who Phil Brooks is in real life.

The thing is ... right now you guys are crapping on punks 5th title reign and he hasn't held the belt for a full 24 hours yet give him a chance its not like you guys are bookers. You guys toot about rock and austin .... Rock I can understand.... Austin on the other hand, lmao. how many times has he walked out on bookings because it didn't put him over? (His match he was supposed to have with brock at king of the ring) (or that "accident" he had right before taboo tuesday 2005)

Punk on the other hand, Paul Heyman said it best "...and the award for taking the crappiest gimmicks and turning them into pure gold goes to....CM Punk"

The thing is... don't Knock punk just yet. give it time because its about originality not similarities.

okay....have to make a comment here. I haven't in a while but I need to.

In regards to the whole "Punk is trying to be Austin"...thing because of "fighting the corporate structure"....EVERY ERA has that.

Look at the 80's...you had the Freebirds who did that...when they fought the Von Erich's...who OWNED World Class Championship Wrestling...and again the Freebirds who did it in the UWF/Mid South territory with Bill Watts and his boys (but they did it as heels although they had their pocket of fans)

The 90's....of course was Austin/nWo/and DX who fought the corporate structure...which DX then did again in the 2000's.

So if you are trying to say Punk is being Austin....in a way...he is...just because this generation...he's taking that role of rebel who's fighting the system....like Paul Newman in "Cool Hand Luke"...or James Dean in "Rebel Without A Cause"

Also...you can see the Austin INFLUENCE with Punk...just as you can also see some Piper, Jericho, Steamboat, and Savage influence.. Doesn't mean he's trying to carbon copy them....EVERY guy and EVERY storyline is recycled. NOTHING is new. It's just a new wrinkle thrown in every decade.

I think Punk can be a big star....if he's not already. and those that say he will never sell out an arena....NO ONE GUY CAN DO THAT. It takes an entire company (performers, writers, directors, marketing) to do that. I don't think even Rock was FULLY responsible for that sell out...it was a lot to do with just the Wrestlemania name. Like the Super Bowl...it will always be a sell out and the game can often be a dud. The name sells it more than anything.

Give Punk time...he will be a strong champ and has the ring work and mic skills to really get over...heel or face.

I think that Punk and DelRio had the match of the night. I am glad that Punk won the title again but they need to push him again before it's too late.

First of all, let me get some rediculous claims said by alot of people on the board who obviously just don't have that ability to place things in an accurate prespective.

I think the point was proved, when he was in the hieght of his "heat" in August, and he was the clear selling point for the SummerSlam PPV, and the event did a net loss of 55 thousand buys from the previous year.

So Far, from the data we do have, Punk is a net negative 31 thousand buys when headlining PPV's in total.

Also, Ratings have remained flat-lined during peiods when he is the main main focus: 4.48 million watching during non punk segments, and 4.51 million watching during punk segs.

and as for people not buying or watching because of just ONE man, as someone stated earlier: thats a statement made admitting Punk doesnt have broad selling power.

300,000 extra buys were ordered for WM 27 because of "ONE" Man, and he was just billed as the "host". Imagine the buys that will happen with that ONE man actualy wrestling.

Just to start off I am a huge CM Punk mark. Have been since probably about a year into his WWE run. I do have to admit that I never really followed the indy's mainly because none of them ever come to my area. As a result, before his WWE debut I knew very little about him.

A lot of you guys keep trying to compare him to Austin and Rock. He's not them. He wont be. But, hes CM Punk. Why cant he just be him? Why does he have to try to live up to the legacy that Rock and Austin have left? Let him create his own legacy. He's doing fairly well at it to begin with.

As far as Cena goes, he is not THAT popular. His reactions are 50/50 at best, even in Boston. I do respect the guy for his work ethic. He goes out night after night busting his ass. But thats it. His promos suck and only because its the same boring crap he always says. His wrestling ability ranks up there with Hogan. Yeah. That bad. At least CM Punk can deliver a promo and a damn good match. I'd like to see John turn heel because it would recapture the Cena haters undoubtedly. Unfortunately though, I dont see it happening. He's got the youth fan base that WWE CRAVES in the PG Era. Usually doesnt fit well with a heel. Otherwise, he would have turned heel long ago.

There are a lot of people bitching about WWE's miss-use of Alberto Del Rio. I do agree but, I think they pretty much miss-handle everybody. Also, I dont think they ever intended Del Rio to be anything more then a transitional champion. At least at this point in his career.

I think I got a little off topic. Don't care. Back to Punk. He is what he is. A hard-working, self-made guy who fired that "shot" heard 'round the wrestling world at the right time in the right place. Ideally, I'd like to see him hold onto the strap until Mania. Maybe Ziggler will win the Rumble. Would be a hell of a match IMO.

Oh, does anyone have any clue why the hell they won't bring out the new WWE title for Christs sake!? I'm tired of looking at that flat spinning piece of crap.

I just think Punk turned face too early.

As some people have stated he is "the best thing since sliced bread" when it comes to his ring work. There is just no heel competition.

If Punk were a heel there would be millions of directions he could go but since there is a limited number of good heels and how he just makes the people in his promos (ADR, Otunga, etc.) look like crap there is no way he can do as well.

Money in the Bank didn't sell out? SummerSlam didn't sell out? News to me...

SummerSlam would have sold out with or without CM Punk on the card. The real indicator of a broader apeal (outside his "nich" fan base) is the PPV Buy Rate it's self. The Punk headlined event, (the sole selling point of the PPV was around Punk) Brought a negative 55 thousand buys when compared to the previos SummerSlam. Also Punk headlined events in total show a negitive 31 thousand buys in total.

The most recent data regarding punk, which I outlined in more detail in a previous post (ratings, ect) indicates punk is not apealing to, nor bringing in, any additional vewiers

The one thing that he's accomplished is selling merchandise. That is a result of a very passionate "nich" fan base.

Great champ for the base? yes
Great champ to dawn a new "boom era": the objective proof says absolutly no chance in hell.

So enjoy CM Punk as a fresh champ thats entertaining, but dont talk start of a new era.

Punk shoot promo which had the wrestling world go crazy didn't really draw ratings. The raw ratings actually dropped. You would think that would of been the time that the Raw ratings skyrocketed.

Punk is not the draw that the Rock is. I hate the Rock but he is a big time draw. If ratings do go up I give the Rock more credit because of the momentum he brought to Raw by appearing.

But Punk is probably the hottest name in wrestling right now he deserves a long title run. Wrestling just isn't as popular like it once was to develop draws like Hogan in the 80's, or a Rock or Austin during the Attitude Era.

So... You are saying Punk is not this this generations Rock?
No sh*t. No one this day and age can captivate and hold an audience like Rock can.
Does that mean no one else can come close? Not at all, John Cena has filled a void that the Rock left for the most part except that imo the Rock never got stale.
In all honesty, CM Punk is taking SOME of the weight off Cena in terms of "the guy"
Punks fanbase is no doubt hot right now. I would like to see where his fanbase is at about Late may to June of 2012. If it is around the same heat with or without the title, I will be a fulltime believer.
As for the "New Era" We've been slowly intoduced into the pg-13 times imo. Brutality and reality without blood or overly provocative content.
But honestly, its personal opinion and executive decisions within the company.

Oh I disagree with you that the Rock never got stale. It has to be his natural charisma that continues to win the loyalty of his fans because I would think 15 years of cutting the same promo time after time would get old. Now on to Punk...

The jury is out on how he'll do as a main eventer. I think the comparison to Jericho is not only spot on, but it's not really an insult either. Punk's die hard fans want everyone to see what they see in him, and take anything less than that level of adoration as an insult. So there is nothing wrong with where Punk is now. He is not a mega star at the moment. Maybe he'll get there, maybe he won't, but you can't really gage how well things are going by what you hear on these boards because the people around here are usually not qualifified objective enough to give you an assessment that is better than your own opinion.

What are you all nagging about?

First everyone's nagging about Del Rio being boring and one dimensional, and when Punk calls him that than suddenly he's burying Del Rio? How can Del rio been buried if he was never over??? The guy won the 40 man royal rumble, Money in the bank, defeated john cena bla blabla and still he doesn't have what it takes to be the top heel. I blame creative for that. ANother guy who is very talented but have been pushed too fast.

Comparing Punk to the Rock and Stone Cold is ridiculous and not even funny anymore. we all know Punk isn't on those levels. This is not the attitude era get over it. Let the past rest damnit.

I watched the SVS 2011 event to see Punk beat Del Rio, because Del rio is a heel and Punk is the face I am cheering for. Let's hope he doesn't win it back next week, so his rematch-clause is over and he can go back to the midcard where he temporarily belongs.

Why does everyone act like WM is next month. WWE is not going to keep the title on a guy like ADR who is still "that raw" for close to 4 months. I think Punk's character will continue to grow, and he will continue to get better. All of his promo's make it sound like they have big plans for this title run, but all we keep hearing is him making JL look like a fool on the mike.

Also, if the arguments against Punk are that he isn't Rock...then congrats Captain Obvious...you pointed out the obvious. I don't see anyone on the roster who has the heat to ascend to the heights the Rock did, but then again, I never thought "Rocky Maivia" had the heat to ascend and eventually pass the Undertaker back then. If done correctly, Punk could be major, for a long time. If not, he'll join the list of stars that WWE has mismanaged, and find himself dominating something like TNA or ROH, for the rest of his career.

As I watched Raw last night, and gauged that "sixth scence" that we long time wrestling fans have (15 years here), I saw what was obvious, Punk has ignited the base and brought credibility back to the title. But my gut feeling tells me it will be shrot lived.

Ive seen this too many times and the "hot potato" reference he made in his "ceremony" speach will come back to haunt him. I want nothing more than for him to prove me wrong b/c the WWE desperatly needs him to succeed, but if the Punk ratings and PPV buyrates are any indication to where this is headed, he just may reget the day he ever made that statement, setting his own bar of success much higher than he can live up to.

you see, a net negative 31,000 buys (in punk headlined PPV's) and neil status in his ratings power has to turn around in the next 3 months or he wont be walking into WM as champ.

and the upcoming Austin-McMahon... i mean JL-Punk fued will not help him at all.

CM Punk doesnt look the part to even play that part, Punk needs to be Punk.

As I watched Raw last night, and gauged that "sixth scence" that we long time wrestling fans have (15 years here), I saw what was obvious, Punk has ignited the base and brought credibility back to the title. But my gut feeling tells me it will be shrot lived.

Ive seen this too many times and the "hot potato" reference he made in his "ceremony" speach will come back to haunt him. I want nothing more than for him to prove me wrong b/c the WWE desperatly needs him to succeed, but if the Punk ratings and PPV buyrates are any indication to where this is headed, he just may reget the day he ever made that statement, setting his own bar of success much higher than he can live up to.

you see, a net negative 31,000 buys (in punk headlined PPV's) and neil status in his ratings power has to turn around in the next 3 months or he wont be walking into WM as champ.

and the upcoming Austin-McMahon... i mean JL-Punk fued will not help him at all.

I think the hot potato reference was a great reference since fans having been saying how many times the championship changed hands this year, and honestly I don't care that much about that. Give it to who you think is truly going to do something with it. And that line might bite him, but it was a great point to bring up, and we'll see where it will go.

You are a just a mark....
You don't like the guy we get it...You have to analyse everything?31000 buys down?WE DON"T CARE...You have stocks in WWE or something?Let me guess....NO

As long we enjoy the guy and is fun to watch him we don't care if the ratings drop to 0.2 or the buys are only 1000....

Get over your self is wrestling....Don't take it too serious..

I don't get what's the big deal with punk? I personally think he is mediocre in the ring and cheesy on the mic. I don't like his look and find he is too hasty in ring. I don't see a flair to him to be a face of the company. I wonder if randy orton suddenly broke character and did a "shoot" on wwe and vince if everyone would jump on his bandwagon and say he is gold on the mic? I mean jeez, punk didn't do anything really special.

Ok, you dont care if the WWE succeeds or fails as long as you are entertained. And because that could only come from an assinine individual who cant think in larger context beyond what pleases you, it makes for a perfect mark.

Alot of hispanic fans were proud and entertained by ADR, but he didnt improve business.

When the WWE referrs to a wrestler "dropping the ball", in real terms, that means you couldnt susstain or increase the 3 key business indicators.

I like wrestlers who will improve the WWE's financial success, but on the same token, i dont dis-like wrestlers who cant.

but if ratings, ppv buys, and attendance figures decrease and you prove to be a net negative for the company, I dont want that championship belt around your waste. Just how my brain opperates... sorry...
Isn't it pretty ridiculous to blame a drop on one guy? Shit even on the product itself? Over the summer, CAT dropped like 30%, not because they aren't a good company (one of the best actually), but because of outside speculation and factors outside their control.

Ratings shouldn't be considered a "key business indicator" unless you're looking at RANK. The number itself is hard to measure because less and less people have TV. Shit I don't, I watch everything on the internet, it's cheaper. Lots of people my age who don't live with their parents or who are putting themselves through college do the same thing.

Second, attendance can be affected by the economy in a certain city or even something as small as the local college being on break. Some towns have a large percentage of their population in college, when they're on break, a quarter of the city leaves. Or if there's a big game close by, or like I said, the general economy is down.

PPV buys are ALSO something that you can't compare to even 5 years ago because of the influx of websites where you can torrent/watch for free. Not only that but month-to-month sales could be changed by the general economy and not necessarily something the WWE is doing.

All of this adds up to say that you can't blame everything on the WWE, much less one guy. The WWE is still consistently tops in any media department if you look at the important number, the ranking.

"And we Attitude Era fans, the true ones, will never stand by a SCSA rip off and let it ride. HE WILL BE called on this sooner rather than later, and while it may be new and refreshing to the PG era fans... its a massive insult and looks sleezy to the rest of us. A swagger jacker is what steve austin is looking at punk as right now."

Wow. OP, here I was thinking you weren't an absolute ******, but then you you come out with this, and prove me wrong.

Stone Cold has made it clear, many times I might add, that he thinks CM Punk is the best thing in professional wrestling, and does nothing but heap praise on Punk. He has even said that if he was to come back for one more match, it would be against Punk.

Next time you consider making a ****** statement such as this again, do a little research first.

TWJC The Beginning:

Now I am a very liberal person when it comes to reading into other ppl's post and possiblitites of other meanings than what i might see originaly, but your post is an economic one, one which I minered in Along side my B.A. in Poli. Sci. at U.T. Austin

Cat. sales were up 31% B/C of heavy equipment sales by dealers in the perid ending oct. 31st. Sales in N. America rose 38%, beating the 26% in the period ending 9/30. This was due a 32% jump in sales in SE Asia, EU, and Afrca. The concerns of EU's. spreading debt crisis didn't effect Cat's growth as its value remained stable due to investor focus by continent.

Cat is the worlds largest heavy equip maker, and one of the top 6 largest industries driving the U.S. economy.

The 30% drop you were referring to was off a year high in may, and it was due to a valuation adjustment in-line with the stock market.

How you are a comparing that with WWE is beyond me, but I will explain the WWE in the post above.

TWJC The Beginning:

Continuation from my pervious post:

As to your claims about Ratings, Buy rates, and attendance not being important or relevant today: Exactly what are the main sourses of revenue for the WWE? How are their financial reports based on?

People buy tickets based on their attitude for the product. If the product is strong, than regardless of the economy, they will buy tickets. In-fact, in 2009, when the recession was at it's peak, WWE had it's best year financialy since 2001. Entertainment is not one of the things that tend to suffer during a recession. It's the housing market, business R&D investvent, the airlines industry, the buying of new goods and equipment, stock investment, and the price of imports vs exports due to the valuation of the dollar.

The only how the WWE is effected by a recession is b/c of the devaluation of the Dollar, bringing it's purchasing power and market share down.

but as a percentage of people buying WWE's product it's self has remained stable.

TWJC THE BEGINING:

My Last Continuation:

The WWE was a weaker company 03-07, durring an economic rising period following the 2001 recession caused by the burst of the tech. "tech bubble".

during the "housing bubble" burst that crahed the banking system in oct. 08, leading to the current recession, the WWE was doing better than the previous years and continued to grow through 2009 at the hieght of the recession.

PPV buys did not suffer, attendance was up, and ratings were better than today.

The amount of house holds with TV's goes up each year and that causes an adjustment in the veiwer percentage as a rating. 5 million viewers watching 10 years ago would bring a 4.0, today it would garner a 3.3. And ratings drive one of the top two main sources of revenue because it translates into advertizing dollars.

And PPV buys are down since 2009, the height of the recession, (exception WM27) and it has to do with the amount of viewers that find the product worth the money.

After the initial post SS Raw, all business indicators will flatline, and people will begin to realize that the idea of Punk being champ is bigger than his ability to carry the championship.

You don't know that. Punk's been getting very impressive reactions from the fans. If you dislike him, that's fine.... However a lot of people do and it's not just a minority group of fanboys within the overall fanbase. Ever since his promos this summer his popularity has been growing A LOT.

Punk will not fill arenas to capacity, (like a sold out Boston TD Garden or MSG) he wont wont sell out PPV's in 90 minutes, and he wont Sell out a football stadium for WM, The rock did that. Nor will he be the reason for a PPV buy surpassing a million, and last but definatly not least, ratings wont improve. Only one man did all of that mentioned above and it was The Rock.

You don't know THAT either. Give Punk a chance before you instantly say he will never succeed. Comparing him to The Rock is a little unfair too. The more Punk improves and the more WWE continues to let him do this style of promo, his popularity will only continue to increase. A few years from now if Punk is the face of the federation and they are doing well financially, you'll have to admit you were wrong. I'm not saying he's going to become as big as The Rock or even Cena. No one knows that. He might, he might not. Regardless, you need to give Punk a chance.

Punk's fan base is extremely passionate, which is why he desreves the belt, and passionate fans buy things, tune in, and are very vocal at events which makes for exciting matches, but it's all in the confines of a "nitch" fan base NOT A NEW ERA

Not exactly. Punk is great at everything he does, whether that be in the ring, on the mic, making feuds interesting enough to buy a PPV, or getting merchandise sold. THAT is why he deserves the belt. His fanboys getting what they want is just icing on the cake. WWE more or less already announced that a new era has begun, whether we as fans like it or not.

Like I said, give Punk a chance before shooting down the idea of him being one of WWE's top faces of their organization. If he's not successful enough then they will push somebody else. There's always that chance that he might become a bigger star and WWE want to capitalize on that. They have taken chances on guys before. A few months from now if they start to lose too much money due to Punk's push.... THAT is when the ranting should be done. Right now it's a waste of time until we see for ourselves what happens.

DaggerDias:

Uh.. how many years do you think is fair i give him?

This isnt his first title rein nor his first push. And as to his popularity gaining, how many facts do I have to point out b4 people realize the reality. So far he's been a net negative or neil in every financial indicator. Net negative 31,000 buys in punk headlined events. Ratings: 4.48 million viewers in non Punk Segments, 4.52 million in Punk-oriented segs. Attendance has remained stable at 6,100.

If this is the rise of a punk phenomenom, im not objectivly seeing it.

But he has ignited his base, and that explains the good merchandise sells.

Punk has been good for Punk. But I dont see any "coat-tail" effect... yet.

i am prepared to give him 4 months. If all business indicators dont improve with him on top, the WWE will look else where.

First off I'll start by admitting I haven't read every post in full, couldn't be bothered to be honest. There are a few things though I picked up on;

1) If he is outselling Cena it can't be niche unless they are paying hundreds of stuff between them, think about it if Cena has millions of fans like he does. Niche would be a few thousand, hell I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say a few hundred thousand. It would be some going from those fans to out spend the millions, so well done them, I think they need some credit.

2) I may have misheard but haven't you Yanks just been through like a huge credit crunch? Even bigger than us over the pond? Could that explain the dropping PPV buys? If you can't afford it, you can't afford it.

3) Rhodes is good but don't say he got biggger cheers, that is a lie and you know it. Then again you might be right, because I'm pretty sure I heard my name chanted at the last football/soccer match I watched, then again I may just have wished that.

4) To say Rock increased PPV buys and use that as a stick to beat Punk is thick, the guy has been gone for 7 freaking years!! What do you expect?

5) Someone else mentioned this, but you couldn't understand Punk wanted ice cream bars? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Punk want credit as the best ever, and therefore would make sense for him to want that. He also mentioned the programmes, yeah, your right he is contradicting himself bury him.

6) A rip off of SCSA do you only watch WWE? Pretty sure rebel against establishment is a very active movie storyline, oh yeah and various historical events. Russian revolution, French revolution, American Independance, British Civil War and countless others, read a book.

7) If they stuck Punk against Mason Ryan for no reason in a PPV main even it would bomb, put a story to it and give it some heat then it would do better. But not as well as someone at the top like Cena, thought that was well known?

The OP said he has sixth sense about the goings on in WWE, well I congratulate him but I would advise some common sense too.

Oldhamandy1:

First of all, you are highly uninformed on your economics. EU's financial troubles run much deeper than the U.S. The dollar is the reserve currency of the world and our bonds are worth tripple A status. EU is going to to the brink with bail outs for greece and portjagul (sp?). France is deep in it and Italy is expected to be the next domino to fall. Itally is EU's 4th largest economy and you cant bail them out, so you'll come begging us "yanks" to do it and we'll save EU's but for the 4th time. WW1, WW2, Cold War, and now a bail out from us. Germany is your only growing economy and the U.K. is stagnent. Please don't post on matters you'r not aware of.

and ppv buy rates were at their highest since 2001 in 2009, the hieght of the recession.

AND I NEVER STATED CODY GOT LOUDER CHEERS THAN PUNK, i stated he got massive crowd support over the other 9 men in the SS tag elimination match.

And i gave you a rep, but what you said here has me rethinking

The OP may very well be right. However, Punk's popularity is only growing. What he really needs is a great heel challenger, and right now there's no main event heels to challenge him on Raw. He just beat Del Rio and Ziggler in back to back nights, ladies and gents those are your top heels on Raw. Oh and Miz...but Punk's already beat him twice in the last few months as well. I guess it's on to Cena/Punk III, with Cena getting booed out of the building, again.

They really gotta figure this shit out.

Ryan86 the Euro is dieing and on the brink of implosion but here in Britain we have the pound, and in the last fincianl report we gained surprisingly high growth. The height of the credit crunch is irrelevant because people fear another bite so clamp down on spending, fact. And its Portugal, don't try and school on how my own country is doing pretty patronising even more so when your wrong. Also Germany just expirenced a slight dip, with fears of thier leader soon to step down because of the Euro. This forum isn't for this anyway, I must have misread your comment about Rhodes getting bigger pops than Punk but in turn that makes Rhodes irrelevant in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back