2013 MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wells hasn't shown me much to confirm that he's all that much better than Mesa. Don't get me wrong, Mesa is NOT very good, but neither is Wells at this point. His last good years were with the Jays. As a DH, I think he still has some value -- unless he completely starts whiffing at pitches and striking out a lot, which is possible considering he's batting like .222 the last two years -- but I wouldn't have minded the Yanks bringing up Mesa for depth rather than getting Wells. DH by committee with Overbay/Hafner/Jeter (when healthy) wouldn't have been too bad.

Name value move or not, getting Vernon Wells is a bit of a head scratcher.
The only way to find out if he'll work is to watch him. Now that he's playing most days and no longer has to live up to the big contract, he could prove to have a turnaround. Look at Ichiro last year. Everyone said he was done, then he comes to the Yankees and revives his career thanks to the short porch in right and no longer being the top dog in the locker room.

There is more upside to Wells then Mesa (who has none). And since most of his money is coming off the books this year, it's not at all a bad move.

With a $230 million payroll, I can understand cutting corners... until they go out and trade for Vernon Wells (and I'm fully aware they're not paying him in full, but still). Martin, while declining as a batter, was still a fairly steady hand in the line-up. I wouldn't have minded signing for 2-3 years and having him start the first year and a half/two until they were ready to call up a catcher from the minors. Stewart and Cervelli aren't viable options and I'd say they're both lucky the Yankees have such a need at the position, as I can't imagine they'd both have made an MLB roster otherwise. I would have rather seen the Yanks eat some money on Martin, than push forward with this catcher rotation mess.

But the Wells move DOES fit in with the Yankees plan. Their plan is to be under $189 (the luxury tax number) in 2014. The only guy they signed this offseason to anything substantial in 2014 is Ichiro ($6.5M). The Yankees only owe Wells $2.4M next year.

And, again, since Russel Martin is only a .200 hitter, they have 2 players who are doing the same job Martin would have done (less the HRs), except at a fraction of the cost (Martin is getting $8.5M in 2014, the Yanks are spending a combined $1,030,450 in 2013, and about the same next year.

The Yankees didn't underbid for Russel Martin because they were being cheap. They didn't offer him a deal because he sucked.

Wut? Are you just ignoring all these players that are getting $20 million+/year extensions? Verlander, Hernandez, Kershaw (eventually), Sabathia, Pujols, Fielder, etc. are all rolling in the dough. Baseball players aren't going to be as marketable as other top athletes because they aren't get shoe deals or won't get excessive marketing like individual sports players (Tiger, Mickelson, Federer, etc.).

Plus with all the guaranteed money there is still big money in contracts. Very few guys could actually be marketable (Harper, Trout, and maybe Strasburg) where their advertisements trump their contracts. There's no LeBrons in MLB partly because that's how the sport plays. You can't dominate 80-90% of the game like NBA because there's more players involved.
And did you notice that none of those players exceeded Alex Rodriguez, even though their talent/play is arguably greater then A-Rod (at the time of the signings)? Sure the super-duper stars are making huge contracts, but they have gone down some (and teams have gotten relatively smarter in terms of who gets the huge long-term contracts)

And there is no reason baseball players can't be more marketable. Sure the uniform leaves minimal room for customization, but that doesn't mean they can't make money off the field.

Oh, and yeah Megatron, baseball players can get more money outside of baseball contracts, when you consider that you can shill merch and use your celebrity in other money-making ventures until you die, wheras you stop earning baseball money when you retire in your late 30's/early 40's.

And did you notice that none of those players exceeded Alex Rodriguez, even though their talent/play is arguably greater then A-Rod (at the time of the signings)? Sure the super-duper stars are making huge contracts, but they have gone down some (and teams have gotten relatively smarter in terms of who gets the huge long-term contracts)

And there is no reason baseball players can't be more marketable. Sure the uniform leaves minimal room for customization, but that doesn't mean they can't make money off the field.

Oh, and yeah Megatron, baseball players can get more money outside of baseball contracts, when you consider that you can shill merch and use your celebrity in other money-making ventures until you die, wheras you stop earning baseball money when you retire in your late 30's/early 40's.

Sure they may make a small amount in endorsements, but that's peanuts compared to their contracts. Baseball players would be foolish to think that sponsors will rack them in the big money. They're in the wrong sport. Someone like Justin Verlander will make much more during his current extension than he would the rest of his life just on endorsements. That is where the money is at. Here's two quotes from Forbes most recent article cronicling the highest paid baseball players that are relevant to this topic:

Few ballplayers are landing national ad campaigns. The NBA has at least 10 players pulling down more than $5 million annually from endorsement deals thanks to lucrative sneaker contracts. MLB has just one player making that kind of money in the U.S.: Derek Jeter

Baseball’s 10 top-earning players will make nearly $250 million in total during 2012 from salaries and endorsements. On-field pay makes up 90% of the pie.

On field is definitely where you better expect to get your pay. If you aren't then you should get rid of your agent or switch sports.

EDIT: And I'd disagree teams are getting smarter. The Angels are going to be paying Albert Pujols 30 million in his age 41 season. There are still big market teams willing to pay (or overpay).

ESPN said:
HOUSTON -- Texas Rangers manager Ron Washingon was prepared to pull right-hander Yu Darvish after the 27th Houston Astros batter on Tuesday night no matter what.

Darvish came within one out of pitching the second perfect game in Rangers history, giving up a single to No. 9 hitter Marwin Gonzalez. But he was going to be the last batter Darvish would face even if Gonzalez had reached base and the no-hitter was intact.

"Yes, I would have taken him out," Washington said. "You heard me correctly."

Reliever Michael Kirkman came on to finish the game, allowing another hit to Jose Altuve before finishing off the Rangers' 7-0 victory with a strikeout.

After the game, Washington was emphatic, and even clarified his thought process when pressed on the subject. Had Darvish walked Gonzalez, he wouldn't have pitched to Altuve to try and complete the no-hitter.

"I wasn't going to let him throw 130 pitches," Washington said. "As soon as he gave up a hit he was gone. As soon as he gave up a walk he was gone."

Darvish finished with 111 pitches, throwing four in the ninth inning. The most he had thrown in a spring start were 78.

Gonzalez's single came on the first pitch. Had Darvish walked him, that would have put Yu closer to 114 pitches or more. That wasn't a threshold Washington was prepared to go past in Darvish's first start of the season.

"Early in the season there is [caution]," Washington said. "When you're throwing a perfect game, you try to get through it. He got two quick outs. I felt like if he had walked that guy, if the guy had gotten a base hit, he was gone. He got the base hit. I would have gotten darts in my back if I had walked out there after a walk."

In the fourth inning, Darvish he threw 18 pitches. Overall, he was very efficient, throwing 52 pitches in the final five innings.

"He never wavered after he got out of the sixth inning," Washington said. "I was coming up to him after every inning, and he said, 'OK, Skip, I feel good.'"

Source: http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story...ame-was-27-batters-texas-rangers-manager-says

So, according to this article published earlier on ESPN, Ron Washington says he would have taken Yu Darvish out of the ball game last night -- where he came within one batter of a perfect game -- after the 27th batter, even if Darvish still had a no-hitter intact. What do you guys think about that?

Personally, while I'm all for being cautious with your pitchers in the early goings of the season, I can't help but disagree with Washington. Pulling Darvish out in the ninth inning with a no-hitter still an option would be a total head scratcher. Furthermore, I don't understand why a manager would take a piece of history from one of his players like that. It's one of those things that strikes me as being selfish, while using the good of the team as a justification. The odds that Darvish would get hurt facing the last few batters make it a possibility, but it's just as possible as him getting hurt in the inning prior. I just don't buy that Washington really would have done that, but (hypothetically) if he had, it would have been an awful choice. Any player would say that he agrees with his manager's decisions, so as to not appear that he thinks more of himself than the team, but we all know that a player would love that little piece of history. It wouldn't be right for a manager to take that away from him.

Sounds like Ron's been riding the white pony again. Not only would pulling Darvish had been standing in the way of history, it would have been going against the age old logic of going with the hot hand. When a pitcher is on, let him go I say. How about letting your bullpen/closer get rest? Their arms get tired too. It's starting to look like complete games are going to be a thing of the past, the way things are going.

The Tigers signed reliever Jose Valverde to a minor league deal, tweets Patrick Reusse of 1500 ESPN. The team confirmed the signing, noting that he will report to Lakeland for extended spring training. Valverde, a client of the Boras Corporation, is the last of our Top 50 Free Agents to sign, and the only one to receive a minor league deal. A minor league deal was a sticking point for the Tigers, said GM Dave Dombrowski. The reliever has a May 5th out clause, if he's not in the Majors by then.

:disappointed:

That's about all I can say on this subject. This better not be a panic move by DD. The committee can work if Leyland were to play to the matchups. Since he is old school I don't think he'll like this, though, and so I wouldn't be surprised to see this turd back up here sometime by the end of April. Ugh.

:disappointed:

That's about all I can say on this subject. This better not be a panic move by DD. The committee can work if Leyland were to play to the matchups. Since he is old school I don't think he'll like this, though, and so I wouldn't be surprised to see this turd back up here sometime by the end of April. Ugh.
That "turd" was amazing for the Tigers in 2011, and had a sub-par 2012, but is EASILY a MAJOR upgrade on what the Tigers have now. Hell, that turd was even your namesake for a while.

HOWEVER, I hate this move for Valverde. The Tigers Fans have turned on him and he needed a change of scenery. I hope for his sake that the Tigers fans will be jumping for joy the second he gets there, as they will realize he is a ton better then what they have now. Sadly I doubt it, and hope he can opt out and go somewhere where his talents will be properly appreciated.

It's not like they signed him to a longterm deal. It's a minor league deal (probably for the league minimum) that has an optout clause. There is only positive to come from this move, so the Tigers fans should be happy they improved their team.

I'll admit my first reaction towards this deal was a bit rash. After delving into it a little more and seeing that 1) he'll be up here by May or not at all 2) he's gotten into "better shape" and 3) they've been talking for a while and he finally accepted a minor league deal I don't hate it as much as my first reaction. I still believe people crying over Leyland not having his own closer should just stop. If Leyland worked the matchups and went by committee (which he still may, although his decision Wednesday makes me believe he wants Coke to be the guy for now) it would work just as fine as Valverde.

Valverde was maddingly inconsistent last year and that was mainly due to him cutting down on his splitter usage and because he struck out over 2 less guys per 9 innings. He was quite lucky with the ways his numbers looked (low BABIP and HR/FB rate) but if he looks even moderately good I don't doubt the Tigers won't call him up and throw him into the closer spot. While I don't think he'd do much better or worse than what they have in house, that's the philosophy of Leyland and they'll probably roll with him.

I'll admit my first reaction towards this deal was a bit rash. After delving into it a little more and seeing that 1) he'll be up here by May or not at all 2) he's gotten into "better shape" and 3) they've been talking for a while and he finally accepted a minor league deal I don't hate it as much as my first reaction. I still believe people crying over Leyland not having his own closer should just stop. If Leyland worked the matchups and went by committee (which he still may, although his decision Wednesday makes me believe he wants Coke to be the guy for now) it would work just as fine as Valverde.

Valverde was maddingly inconsistent last year and that was mainly due to him cutting down on his splitter usage and because he struck out over 2 less guys per 9 innings. He was quite lucky with the ways his numbers looked (low BABIP and HR/FB rate) but if he looks even moderately good I don't doubt the Tigers won't call him up and throw him into the closer spot. While I don't think he'd do much better or worse than what they have in house, that's the philosophy of Leyland and they'll probably roll with him.
Just need to mention this. The next time a Closer by committee situation is successful will be the first. It never works, and you've never seen a top team use that system for a reason.

And for a team like the Tigers in a Championship or Bust mode, why are they even risking having a sub-par closing situation? That's their one flaw, and they never tried to fix it in the offseason. Rafael Soriano was a perfect fit for the Tigers, and they chose to let him go elsewhere, and now they're suffering for it.

Valverde drastically cut back his splitter usage, and his productivity went down. Maybe he'll use his splitter again and his numbers will revert back to being good (he won't be 2011 again, that is unreasonable to expect for anyone, yet alone Valverde).

Just need to mention this. The next time a Closer by committee situation is successful will be the first. It never works, and you've never seen a top team use that system for a reason.

It doesn't work because most managers are afraid to play the matchups and don't treat the 9th like any other inning. Sure, if you have a Chapman, Kimbrel, Mo, Rodney (at least last year) etc. it's more than fine to use a designated closer. However, a team like the Tigers, who have good relievers albeit flawed in their own ways, could make it work if Leyland was open to it. He's not the right guy to run with a committee because he's old school.

And for a team like the Tigers in a Championship or Bust mode, why are they even risking having a sub-par closing situation? That's their one flaw, and they never tried to fix it in the offseason. Rafael Soriano was a perfect fit for the Tigers, and they chose to let him go elsewhere, and now they're suffering for it.

The $14 million + loss of draft pick wouldn't have been worth it. Especially when they thought Rondon was ready before ST started. Also, a little lesson on teams without a sure fire closer:

2012 Giants: Sergio Romo, three career saves before 2012.
2011 Cardinals: Jason Motte, 12 career saves when postseason began.
2010 Giants: Brian Wilson, 3.73 career ERA at start of season.
2009 Phillies: Reached World Series despite closer Brad Lidge, who went 0-8 with 7.21 ERA.
2008 Rays: Reached World Series with rookie David Price, no career saves.

2007 Rockies: Reached Series with rookie Manny Corpas, zero career saves before 2007.
2006 Cardinals: Rookie Adam Wainwright had three career saves when playoffs began.
2005 White Sox: Rookie Bobby Jenks had six career saves when playoffs began.
2004 Red Sox: Keith Foulke had been 0-2 with no saves in two prior postseasons.
2003 Marlins: Josh Beckett closed out Game 6 with a complete game, not Ugueth Urbina.

Teams have won with shaky closer situations before and will continue to do so.

Good start for my team the Chicago Cubs, I was delighted with our first victory because we were written off by almost everybody, the second match against the Pirates was awful, but I'm glad we bounced back the next day winning 3-2, although it did get nervy at the end when they brought it back from 3-0 to 3-2 in the ninth, overall though, I'm pleased with their performances but there's still another 159 matches to go and no one's really expecting us to do anything, just hoping we can prove 'em wrong.

Just got tickets for the Cubs vs. Braves game for tomorrow though! Looking forward to tonight more than anything, Atlanta are a good team and it should be difficult.

Cubs should really stop using Marmol in anything other than blowouts on either side until he gets it back together. He lucked by yesterday and he's about the last person I'd want pitching in a tight game. He's just awful.

I remember when Marmol first popped up in the majors, I thought he'd be a legit shutdown pitcher. Boy, was I wrong. He's way too erratic and I agree with Megatron, he shouldn't be pitching until he gets his act together. He's a liability.

The Tigers demolished the Yankees today. Fielder's two bombs were probably the highlight of the game. Nova had a pretty bad day pitching for the Yankees, all things considered. He didn't allow too many hits, but the Tigers scored fairly easily against him. The Yankees' staff has been pretty underwhelming in their first few games. With the way they've started the season, it looks to be rough until they can get some of their stars back. That doesn't look to be happening any time soon. Derek Jeter's rehab has apparently caught a snag and he won't be back until at least May -- age is catching up him, and the Yanks.

What an awesome game. O's just got done giving us fans another thriller. Glad I took off today. Chris Davis is experiencing some sort of super beast mode. 4 games, 4 home runs (one of which was a grand slam this afternoon) and 16 (SIXTEEN!) RBI. Adam Jones is doing pretty okay as well (3 for 5, 2 RBI-- one of which the game tying run). Matt Wieters was doing gymnastics behind the plate when our starting pitcher was all over the place, because he's good like that. Luis Ayala redeemed himself, and Buck Showalter made some moves and played some small ball early on to get us on the board. O's all the way, baby.

Anybody watch the Braves/Cubs game last night? What a wild finish that was. BJ Upton smashed a homer in the bottom of the ninth to tie it, only for Justin Upton to hit the game-winning homer two batter later. In case you're wondering, it was Marmol pitching, so he picked up his first loss of the season -- his tailspin is just getting worse. Justin Upton's got 5 homers in 5 games, and he's batting well across the board. I know it's a small sample size, but he looks to be back in 2011 form. Great deal for the Braves if he can keep playing like he has thus far.

Anybody watch the Braves/Cubs game last night? What a wild finish that was. BJ Upton smashed a homer in the bottom of the ninth to tie it, only for Justin Upton to hit the game-winning homer two batter later. In case you're wondering, it was Marmol pitching, so he picked up his first loss of the season -- his tailspin is just getting worse. Justin Upton's got 5 homers in 5 games, and he's batting well across the board. I know it's a small sample size, but he looks to be back in 2011 form. Great deal for the Braves if he can keep playing like he has thus far.

The Cubs did make the call to pull Marmol from the closer role. I almost feel bad for the Cubs. He has a couple of good seasons as a setup man, then gets moved to the closer role and just sorta sucks.

As far as Upton goes, I was very happy when we got him. Martin Prado is a solid solid player, but honestly the Braves didn't have to give up much else to get Upton and a decent corner infielder in Chris Johnson. I'm sure the novelty of having the Upton brothers on the team will wear thin on me, but after last night they can keep marketing them together all they want.

It is barely a week into the season and already people are declaring the Yanks done and the BoSox as serious contenders. Man, sports writers love to overreact. There are even people saying the Jays were stupid to get Dickey because he gave up five runs today. Sports writers are almost as bad as dirtsheet writers...almost.

It is barely a week into the season and already people are declaring the Yanks done and the BoSox as serious contenders. Man, sports writers love to overreact. There are even people saying the Jays were stupid to get Dickey because he gave up five runs today. Sports writers are almost as bad as dirtsheet writers...almost.

They're the dirtsheet writers of legitimate sports, that's for sure. The Yanks are never 'done' these days, and the Sox just may contend for the East/a WC because it's a new day in MLB. There's plenty of parity and if my O's can do what they did last season then no one should count anyone out (save for the Astros, who are pathetic and the Pirates, who could fuck up the wettest of dreams). I still feel confident that it'll be the O's and Jays leading the pack in the AL East when the stretch run begins, but it's as wide open as I can ever remember it being.

Man, I feel sorry for Roy Halladay. Well as sorry as I can feel for a member of the Phillies. In 2010 he throws a perfect game, a postseason no-no, and wins Cy Young award. Cut to 2013 and he looks like he should barely be in the majors. He did rack up nine strikeouts in only 3 and a 1/3 innings, but damn if this hasn't been a rough spring training and early season for him.

Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come for the Yanks. If only MLB had a rule similar to the amnesty rule in the NBA. We should totally amnesty A-Rod but ohwell. Still think the Yanks are gonna somehow find a way into the playoffs once everyone comes back.

As for Roy Halladay, it's a damn shame. Guy was pretty much unhittable two years ago and now...oh boy. Hopefully he gets back into form and the Phillies become a good team again.

Good lord that strike three call to end the Rays/Rangers game was one of the worst baseball calls I have ever seen. It wasn't even close to being over the plate, and even if it was, it was way too low to be considered a strike. An egregious call that ended a potential rally for the Rays. Sure if they didn't want to lose they should have put more runs up earlier, but they had just scored a run to put them down by one with a runner on and a guy who has owned Joe Nathan in his career. Not saying the Rays were going to win if the right call was made, but this is one of the reasons that people criticize officials so often, now. Just awful.

Good lord that strike three call to end the Rays/Rangers game was one of the worst baseball calls I have ever seen. It wasn't even close to being over the plate, and even if it was, it was way too low to be considered a strike. An egregious call that ended a potential rally for the Rays. Sure if they didn't want to lose they should have put more runs up earlier, but they had just scored a run to put them down by one with a runner on and a guy who has owned Joe Nathan in his career. Not saying the Rays were going to win if the right call was made, but this is one of the reasons that people criticize officials so often, now. Just awful.

Not to mention that it resulted in Nathan obtaining his 300th career save. That call will forever be tied to his milestone. I'm sure he would have preferred to earn it. Truly a pitiful call; I'm not sure how it was possible for the umpire to make the decision to punch him out on that. Caught up in the moment? Gave up on the ball half way?

Not to mention that it resulted in Nathan obtaining his 300th career save. That call will forever be tied to his milestone. I'm sure he would have preferred to earn it. Truly a pitiful call; I'm not sure how it was possible for the umpire to make the decision to punch him out on that. Caught up in the moment? Gave up on the ball half way?

Did you hear his postgame reaction? Nathan was talking about how he has gotten screwed on other calls so he would take this call. Now that could've just been an in the moment thing, but, I don't think Nathan will mind it. He got his milestone. Now it's a shame you can't protest that.

As far as the umpire goes, I want to say he tweeted or said he wouldn't have made that call again if it happened. But that doesn't change anything. If he was caught up in the moment then umpires need to remember they aren't part of the game and need to remove themselves as much as possible. It's not even like the ball crossed over the plate either. Just an incredibly egregious call.

Did anyone read up about the Cubs wanting to renovations at Wrigley and the people of Wrigleyville didn't want to allow it? I want to get people's thoughts on it before I go on a full rant about the fucking stupidity of it. Ricketts would pay for all of it, not costing anyone else a dime, and the alderman and rooftop owners were getting all pissy about it. It is to improve the stadium assholes, while you don't give the franchise a fucking dime.

Did you hear his postgame reaction? Nathan was talking about how he has gotten screwed on other calls so he would take this call. Now that could've just been an in the moment thing, but, I don't think Nathan will mind it. He got his milestone. Now it's a shame you can't protest that.

As far as the umpire goes, I want to say he tweeted or said he wouldn't have made that call again if it happened. But that doesn't change anything. If he was caught up in the moment then umpires need to remember they aren't part of the game and need to remove themselves as much as possible. It's not even like the ball crossed over the plate either. Just an incredibly egregious call.
The ump made a bad call. It wasn't nearly as bad as it looks on video, as the catcher didn't catch it cleanly making it look like it bounced. Sure he fucked up, it happens. Live with it.

And Nathans right to an extent. He (like every other player in the history of the game) has been "victim" to a call that is not correct. It happens when you employ humans to judge other humans.

People need to stop bitching about the officiating in all of sports and start just play the fucking game.

Did anyone read up about the Cubs wanting to renovations at Wrigley and the people of Wrigleyville didn't want to allow it? I want to get people's thoughts on it before I go on a full rant about the fucking stupidity of it. Ricketts would pay for all of it, not costing anyone else a dime, and the alderman and rooftop owners were getting all pissy about it. It is to improve the stadium assholes, while you don't give the franchise a fucking dime.
These assholes complaining are doing it strictly for their own benefit. The renovations will probably hinder the rooftop experience. Good. go to the stadium, not on top of a roof across the fucking street.

The Cubs damn well better update Wrigley and tell the rooftops to fuck off. The stadium is ancient and in need of an update. And as far as I know, the Cubs don't get a dime from the rooftops (or much less then they would if they were in the building). Why should they give away their product for somoene else to profit off of?

I'm incredibly frustrated with the Indians right now. The starting pitching is blowing up on a fucking epic scale, and the rampant inconsistency of the offense is somewhat concerning. I'll admit that today's lack of run scoring is mildly excusable on a lot of reserves being in, as a result of the rigid early schedule they've had, but still, come on guys.

Brett Myers is the most alarming of all. He looks like total shit. I mean just absolutely abysmal. Carlos Carrasco being terrible is pretty expected, since he needs to be in AAA for a while longer yet, but they were forced into this situation as a result of Kazmir being hurt. Jimenez's fastball is officially dead and buried and he's proven now that he's just not good enough to be any good without it. Fortunately, Masterson and McCallister both look like they're okay for now, but there's no guarantees on either.

If you're doing the math, this rotation is a fucking godawful mess. It'll improve if Kazmir comes back, but in my mind, they should be phoning the Rockies nonstop about Aaron Harang. He's desperately needed right now, because at this point, there's a strong chance that Myers needs to go back to the pen, and Jimenez frankly could be given the Ricky Romero treatment if he can't get it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back