• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2013 MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand why mid-market teams aren't willing to dish out that much for guys in their 30s, but it just wouldn't have been the same to see Verlander in another uni. He needs to go down as the Tigers best pitcher ever, and ultimately (barring injury) will.

He'd go down as the greatest Tiger pitcher ever with or without the last years of his career. Don't get me wrong, I would have signed him long term too -- where he's at right now as a player is more than worth it -- but it's not as if they had to lock him up until he was well out of his prime for that much money. Still, teams are limited in what they can do; to sign a player and get his production now, you're going to have to ink him to a huge contract now and you're going to have to eat a few years of his career where he's just not going to be worth it. Players won't sign for 3 years if they can get 7, obviously. Front-loading contracts wouldn't be an awful idea, but it would hamper your ability to make moves right now if you did. Could you imagine the Tigers' payroll if guys like Verlander, Fielder, and Cabrera had front-loaded deals? Yeesh, that would be rough.

Just some random news I just caught: Elvis Andrus got paid, big time. 8-years, $120 million. That's not a bad deal, considering the fact that he won't be too old (33-ish when it ultimately runs out) at the end of his contract.

While I have no formal opinion on a salary cap in baseball, it is the lack of one that causes so many of these contracts that look bad 4 or 5 years down the road. Well that and Scott Boras. Seriously, fuck that guy.

I really hate that the Braves traded Andrus to the Rangers for Tex a few years back. They had Tex roughly a year before trading him to the Angels. They gave up Andrus, Neftali Feliz, and Matt Harrison, all three starters and All-Stars on the Rangers.

While I have no formal opinion on a salary cap in baseball, it is the lack of one that causes so many of these contracts that look bad 4 or 5 years down the road. Well that and Scott Boras. Seriously, fuck that guy.

I really hate that the Braves traded Andrus to the Rangers for Tex a few years back. They had Tex roughly a year before trading him to the Angels. They gave up Andrus, Neftali Feliz, and Matt Harrison, all three starters and All-Stars on the Rangers.
Totally agree. The Yankees, as much as I like them, are a prime example of that. They throw money at players and hope it'll solve all their problems, rather than have a few down years but develop their farm system in exchange. I think they'll make the playoffs, but they'll definitely sputter out of the gate. Their giant payroll keeps them from being able to do much, so they have to rely on guys like Travis Hafner (who is well out of his prime) to carry them early on. Yikes.

Feliz and Andrus were the real prize there. Harrison's pretty good, but he's no ace (a good 2 or 3, though -- had one hell of a year last year, too). He got lit up last night against the Astros, who actually impressed me a lot. Yeah, they're not going to be great, but this was a big win for them against a division and in-state rival on opening night. A little boost of confidence (that a win in the season opener against Texas will certainly give them) could do wonders for a team like that.

Feliz and Andrus were the real prize there. Harrison's pretty good, but he's no ace (a good 2 or 3, though -- had one hell of a year last year, too). He got lit up last night against the Astros, who actually impressed me a lot. Yeah, they're not going to be great, but this was a big win for them against a division and in-state rival on opening night. A little boost of confidence (that a win in the season opener against Texas will certainly give them) could do wonders for a team like that.

No to mention the fact that they came into this season with absolutely no expectations. They could end up losing 100+ games, and no one would be surprised. There's a lot of opportunity to play well when you have no pressure like they do.

Totally agree. The Yankees, as much as I like them, are a prime example of that. They throw money at players and hope it'll solve all their problems, rather than have a few down years but develop their farm system in exchange. I think they'll make the playoffs, but they'll definitely sputter out of the gate. Their giant payroll keeps them from being able to do much, so they have to rely on guys like Travis Hafner (who is well out of his prime) to carry them early on. Yikes.

Big markets should use their farm system mainly to make trades for already established stars. Sure, you wanna have a few homegrown players, but if someone has a star like Stanton on the market and you can get him for a few top prospects you do it. Plus with the growing TV contracts these teams are getting you can expand your payroll.

No to mention the fact that they came into this season with absolutely no expectations. They could end up losing 100+ games, and no one would be surprised. There's a lot of opportunity to play well when you have no pressure like they do.

Of course. Realistically, you have to think they'll play poorly, but the players might be able to string some wins together, knowing that they're basically expected to be in last place. Still, that roster is crazy thin. The payroll basically tells you everything you need to know; Bud Norris, their highest paid player, makes $3 million this year. Any wins they get are the cherry on top of the sundae.

Big markets should use their farm system mainly to make trades for already established stars. Sure, you wanna have a few homegrown players, but if someone has a star like Stanton on the market and you can get him for a few top prospects you do it. Plus with the growing TV contracts these teams are getting you can expand your payroll.

That's the trend -- big market teams scoop stars for a boatload of picks, rinse and repeat as necessary. Still, it doesn't hurt to take a step back every once in a while and try to build your team from the farm system up. Some of the Yankees' most important cogs over the last 15 years -- Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada, and Andy Pettite -- are all homegrown players. I'd rather try to find the next Jeter by taking care of the farm system than pillaging it for that one star like Stanton; however, I don't think they should completely abandon trading for stars every few years. Using a combination of all your assets works best, but it seems like the Yanks and other major market teams have gotten lazy in recent years and are trying to throw money at their problems.

Speaking of Stanton, anybody think they'd actually trade him this season? I think they'll hang onto him for at least one more year, considering he is only real star the have and he's under their control until 2016. Even if they decide to trade him, I can't decide where he'd end up. The usual suspects -- Yankees, Red Sox, etc. -- don't have the assets. Seattle, maybe?

I think Stanton will stay unless he pulls a power move and refuses to play and trashes the organization. He is low cost, just south of 600k, and they need a big name to get what little fanbase they have to watch. They will probably ship out Ricky Nolasco, he is making 11 million. In fact only he is only one of three guys on that team who make more than 2 million a year. :disappointed:

I think Stanton will stay unless he pulls a power move and refuses to play and trashes the organization. He is low cost, just south of 600k, and they need a big name to get what little fanbase they have to watch. They will probably ship out Ricky Nolasco, he is making 11 million. In fact only he is only one of three guys on that team who make more than 2 million a year. :disappointed:

Agreed. Nolasco's going to be traded for a couple of prospects (or just some scraps) to a contender. If not for Giancarlo Stanton, the Miami Marlins would be in a race with the Houston Astros for the worst roster in baseball. If you have to rely on guys like Placido Polanco, Casey Kotchman, Austin Kearns, Juan Pierre, Jon Rauch, and Chad Qualls to play for your team in 2013, some even contributing in key roles, you're in a heap of trouble. That's just an awful team.

Agreed. Nolasco's going to be traded for a couple of prospects (or just some scraps) to a contender. If not for Giancarlo Stanton, the Miami Marlins would be in a race with the Houston Astros for the worst roster in baseball. If you have to rely on guys like Placido Polanco, Casey Kotchman, Austin Kearns, Juan Pierre, Jon Rauch, and Chad Qualls to play for your team in 2013, some even contributing in key roles, you're in a heap of trouble. That's just an awful team.

You know what is funny, most of those guys you listed are a former All-Star or cult favorite. They are all past their primes however. The Marlins are like a shitty doppelganger of the Yankees.

Just turned on the Phillies/Braves game to see Freddie Freeman hit a two run home run. Man I hate the Phillies.

You know what is funny, most of those guys you listed are a former All-Star or cult favorite. They are all past their primes however. The Marlins are like a shitty doppelganger of the Yankees.

Just turned on the Phillies/Braves game to see Freddie Freeman hit a two run home run. Man I hate the Phillies.

I had that same thought, but it's 2013... Not 2005. To be fair, the Yankees are pretty shitty right now. They're putting guys like Hafner and Wells in a position they shouldn't be in at this stage of their careers. Their catching situation is pretty dismal too.

Still, I think they make the playoffs. Even if A-Rod misses the entire season, I can't see it being much of a factor. He's fallen off badly in recent years and Youkilis might have more to offer at this point.

It's only one game, but Leyland used the committee to get matchups late and I liked what I saw. At least early on I would much prefer they continue to do that. Also hope he won't tie down guys to certain innings just because of the situation. If you need a lefty out in the 6th put Coke in you don't have to wait. I think Jimmy boy is smart enough to realize that.

I had that same thought, but it's 2013... Not 2005. To be fair, the Yankees are pretty shitty right now. They're putting guys like Hafner and Wells in a position they shouldn't be in at this stage of their careers. Their catching situation is pretty dismal too.

To be fair though, Vernon Wells is the 4th outfielder, who is playing because of injury. I see that as his role. And Hafner is going to probably be gone when Granderson gets back, as the DH duties will be split between Wells/Granderson/Jeter/Teixeira. Catcher is the weak point though. Not all positions can be filled with all stars though.

On another note, Scott Boras lost a client today. Robinson Cano dropped the legendary super-agent, and instead signed with Jay Z. I shit you not, Jay Z is now getting into the sports agent game.

It's not as stupid as it sounds. Jay Z's company is being helped along by CAA, a reputable Agency.

It's good for Cano, as Boras may have been able to get him a bit more baseball money (elsewhere), Jay Z will be able to get him more non-baseball money.

It's good for the Yankees, because Boras takes 99% of his clients into free agency, and the Yankees don't want Cano to hit free agency.

Of course Jay-Z is now a sports agent. Gotta hand it to him, he knows how to make money. This was just out of left field though. I'd have to say this bodes well for the Yankees trying to retain him though.

To be fair though, Vernon Wells is the 4th outfielder, who is playing because of injury. I see that as his role. And Hafner is going to probably be gone when Granderson gets back, as the DH duties will be split between Wells/Granderson/Jeter/Teixeira. Catcher is the weak point though. Not all positions can be filled with all stars though.

Oh, absolutely -- I'm just saying, the Yanks look pretty rough right now. Wells isn't very good in the field at this point, so I'd love to see him at DH if he'll be out on the field. We probably could have called Melky Mesa up and saved ourselves the millions of dollars we have tied up in Wells. Catcher definitely is weak. They could have easily re-signed Martin to catch, who may not be what he used to be, but is certainly better than Cervelli/Stewart.

On another note, Scott Boras lost a client today. Robinson Cano dropped the legendary super-agent, and instead signed with Jay Z. I shit you not, Jay Z is now getting into the sports agent game.

It's not as stupid as it sounds. Jay Z's company is being helped along by CAA, a reputable Agency.

It's good for Cano, as Boras may have been able to get him a bit more baseball money (elsewhere), Jay Z will be able to get him more non-baseball money.

It's good for the Yankees, because Boras takes 99% of his clients into free agency, and the Yankees don't want Cano to hit free agency.

I saw that earlier. CAA's got a pretty string client base and they'll be handling Cano, so he'll be just fine. Jay Z is probably going to attract some top flight players -- athletes love being considered the "elites" and rubbing elbows with superstars. There's no one bigger than Jay Z, so I'm sure people will sign with him just for the notoriety. I don't doubt he'll do a great job, though. Every endeavor he has taken on -- rapping, producing, clothing, night clubs, the Nets, etc. -- has succeeded in some way shape or form. Dude knows how to get it done.

I hope it makes Cano an easier signing for the Yankees, above all else.

Oh, absolutely -- I'm just saying, the Yanks look pretty rough right now. Wells isn't very good in the field at this point, so I'd love to see him at DH if he'll be out on the field. We probably could have called Melky Mesa up and saved ourselves the millions of dollars we have tied up in Wells. Catcher definitely is weak. They could have easily resigned Martin to catch, who may not be what he used to be, but is certainly better than Cervelli/Stewart.
Oh without a doubt this is the weakest Yankee team since 08 (people forget that was a really bad team), but in 2 months it will become one of the strongest, barring injury setbacks. And I think with all the injuries they wanted at least one more name guy, and Wells is a much better player then Melky Mesa, who is a minor league depth guy. Plus he is a vast improvement over Hafner as a DH once everyone comes back.

They didn't resign Martin because he was shit and not at all worth 3 years $20 million. He was a .200 hitter last year. Sure he hit some homers but a with Austin Romine (I would bet by the 2013 All Star Break) and Gary Sanchez (probably late 2014) on the way up, they didn't want to waste money on a backup.

I saw that earlier. CAA's got a pretty string client base and they'll be handling Cano, so he'll be just fine. Jay Z is probably going to attract some top flight players -- athletes love being considered the "elites" and rubbing elbows with superstars. There's no one bigger than Jay Z, so I'm sure people will sign with him just for the notoriety. I don't doubt he'll do a great job, though. Every endeavor he has taken on -- rapping, producing, clothing, night clubs, the Nets, etc. -- has succeeded in some way shape or form. Dude knows how to get it done.

I hope it makes Cano an easier signing for the Yankees, above all else.
And Jay Z has even been a successful agent in the music world. People like Rihanna, Timberland, and Shakira are all part of the RocNation brand, which just started branching into sports now with Cano.

I think this is the start of the top players realizing that the real money to be made is no longer in baseball contracts, but in using the celebrity for outside endeavors. Not only is that more money, but it's also longer-term, as you can still get endorsements and stuff after your career.

Oh without a doubt this is the weakest Yankee team since 08 (people forget that was a really bad team), but in 2 months it will become one of the strongest, barring injury setbacks. And I think with all the injuries they wanted at least one more name guy, and Wells is a much better player then Melky Mesa, who is a minor league depth guy. Plus he is a vast improvement over Hafner as a DH once everyone comes back.

Wells hasn't shown me much to confirm that he's all that much better than Mesa. Don't get me wrong, Mesa is NOT very good, but neither is Wells at this point. His last good years were with the Jays. As a DH, I think he still has some value -- unless he completely starts whiffing at pitches and striking out a lot, which is possible considering he's batting like .222 the last two years -- but I wouldn't have minded the Yanks bringing up Mesa for depth rather than getting Wells. DH by committee with Overbay/Hafner/Jeter (when healthy) wouldn't have been too bad.

Name value move or not, getting Vernon Wells is a bit of a head scratcher.

They didn't resign Martin because he was shit and not at all worth 3 years $20 million. He was a .200 hitter last year. Sure he hit some homers but a with Austin Romine (I would bet by the 2013 All Star Break) and Gary Sanchez (probably late 2014) on the way up, they didn't want to waste money on a backup.

With a $230 million payroll, I can understand cutting corners... until they go out and trade for Vernon Wells (and I'm fully aware they're not paying him in full, but still). Martin, while declining as a batter, was still a fairly steady hand in the line-up. I wouldn't have minded signing for 2-3 years and having him start the first year and a half/two until they were ready to call up a catcher from the minors. Stewart and Cervelli aren't viable options and I'd say they're both lucky the Yankees have such a need at the position, as I can't imagine they'd both have made an MLB roster otherwise. I would have rather seen the Yanks eat some money on Martin, than push forward with this catcher rotation mess.

I think this is the start of the top players realizing that the real money to be made is no longer in baseball contracts, but in using the celebrity for outside endeavors. Not only is that more money, but it's also longer-term, as you can still get endorsements and stuff after your career.

Wut? Are you just ignoring all these players that are getting $20 million+/year extensions? Verlander, Hernandez, Kershaw (eventually), Sabathia, Pujols, Fielder, etc. are all rolling in the dough. Baseball players aren't going to be as marketable as other top athletes because they aren't get shoe deals or won't get excessive marketing like individual sports players (Tiger, Mickelson, Federer, etc.).

Plus with all the guaranteed money there is still big money in contracts. Very few guys could actually be marketable (Harper, Trout, and maybe Strasburg) where their advertisements trump their contracts. There's no LeBrons in MLB partly because that's how the sport plays. You can't dominate 80-90% of the game like NBA because there's more players involved.

I know it is still early but how do you guys feel about interleague play now occurring year round?

Personally I had no formal opinion on how they presented interleague play before, but I have a feeling that this will lead to a standard DH rule between both leagues, or they will abolish it altogether.

I think it'll be added to the NL. Can't take away the jobs from those DH's. While it's nice to see some difference between leagues, having pitchers hit is awful. I don't wanna see .100/.100/.100 hitters up there (exaggerating, but only slightly).

I'd like to see it added to the NL. Sometimes you get a cool story like Clayton Kershaw throwing a shut out and hitting a home run in the same game yesterday, but I don't see any reason not to add it. Some people complain it leaves you with a short bench, but you can simply expand the active roster from 25 to 26 players.

I get that there are traditionalists out there against it, and I can appreciate that, but I think the game can only benefit from a full time DH in both leagues.

One down, 161 to go. The O's bullpen and middle lineup picked up where they left off. Once Nick Markakis and Manny Machado hit midseason form, we shouldn't be stranding so many baserunners. My hat's off to the Rays defense. This Longoria guy might have a future. And hopefully Wieters doesn't make another pick-off throw that's that ugly again all season. Great game, though. With Price out of the way, I like our chances of grabbing an early lead in the division. Lots of baseball left, but I'm as optimistic as ever.

I like interleague play -- and, personally, I'd like to see one unified standard between the leagues in terms of DH/no DH. I'd prefer the DH to expand to the NL, seeing as it's basically the lone hold-out. Not to mention, most pitchers are just awful batters anyway. I can't see the DH rule being abandoned either. It's been, what, 40 years since the rule was first adopted? I think it's time people against the DH rule just came to terms with it. I get it, baseball is a game of tradition, but the times are changing; the DH should be implemented across the board in Major League Baseball.

I understand that there's more to it than just tradition -- the NL style of game requires more strategy and planning, since they have to work with that pitcher in the line-up and, of course, NL teams aren't built to accommodate a DH -- but I can't see the DH not being a Major League Baseball-wide thing within the next few years. Most teams would prefer having their pitchers focus on pitching and having another capable bat in the order. It doesn't hurt that it can extend the careers of marquee players either.

Plus NL style of baseball is just awful. Yes, let's squander a big inning to try to push that 1 run across even though it's only the 3rd inning! That's such a great strategy! I can't see how anyone wouldn't like to watch that!

:suspic:

Plus NL style of baseball is just awful. Yes, let's squander a big inning to try to push that 1 run across even though it's only the 3rd inning! That's such a great strategy! I can't see how anyone wouldn't like to watch that!

:suspic:

Furthermore, contrary to some level of popular belief, it removes some strategy from the manager as it forces him to use his bench hitters and correspondingly his bullpen at designated time intervals, rather than using them when he likes.

Fact is, it's more fun to watch the AL and it doesn't inexcusably change the integrity of the game. I'd never want to see a DH for any other position, which seems to be an objection of many - that it might extend to the other heavily defensive positions getting DHs - but DHing for a pitcher just makes the game better.

The only time a pitcher batting is fun is when he does so poorly it's hilarious, or the occasional novelty of him driving in a run to support his own cause. Both of which are quite rare. Moments like the Kershaw HR from yesterday are nice, but adding a DH would blow them out of the water.

It also keeps players healthier overall, since guys can get an occasional day out of the field. Just so many benefits, really.

I would, however, rather like interleague play to be reduced. For one, the new schedule is awful, and Houston should never have been made to move. They were only forced to move to feed Selig's interleague play fetish, and interleague play every day is worse than having it be at designated times in the year. I prefer that baseball's integrity be maintained except in extreme cases (the DH), and the increased amount and scheduling of interleague play isn't something I can approve of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back