• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2014 MLB Thread

Seems a return to mediocrity is imminent for the Pirates.

Because they lost tonight? They're three games back from the division, two from the wild card with a month left of play. They got pounded with injuries all at the same time with McCutchen, Walker, Alverez, Cole all out last month, and they still stayed up there.

They still have a very real chance to win the division, or make the wild card.

And even if they don't, the only direction is up. Have you seen their farm? Marte and Polanco already look like studs, especially in the outfield. They're both better than McCutchen in my opinion, and he's a gold glove winner! Those are the guys that are up. They have Josh Bell who they just moved to first base, he's hitting .325 down there in the minors in 425 at bats.

Then they already have Gerrit Cole up. He's still young, the only problem he has now is consistency which a lot of young pitchers have problems with. They have Taillon who was supposed to be up this year in the rotation but got set back with TJ surgery, but I'm expecting him to bounce back and be great. Those two already looked like studs, but have you taken a look at Tyler Glasnow? He's going to be their top ace in a couple of years. He's got a 1.74 era in 124 innings and 157 strikeouts! They've got Nick Kingham down there too who also looks great! So in a couple years they'll have Glasnow, Cole, Taillon, and Kingham all in the rotation.

I'm not even mentioning how good Meadows and McGuire look because they're still about three years away from the big leagues, but they're both looking good too, although I think Meadows might end up getting traded. And Alen Hanson their shortstop prospect will probably be up next year, and he's looking good too!

You're only seeing the start of this team, trust me. They're very young, but they have the best farm system in baseball and they're only getting better each year.

Even for this year how you consider three games back from the division mediocre is beyond me, when all it takes is a good run for a week to take control of the division...which is very possible. The only thing that's holding them back right now not counting injuries is Clint Hurdle's managing decisions. Doing things like batting Starling Marte 7th in the lineup are the dumb reasons why the team isn't being as productive as they should be.

Goddamn you...making me go on a Pirate rant this late at night.

You're only seeing the start of this team, trust me. They're very young, but they have the best farm system in baseball and they're only getting better each year.

The Pirates are a scary club. I'm never comfortable playing against them. Buncha fucking grinders. And the farm system only intimidates me more. I do like the Cubs' system more but I also have paid a bit more attention to their particular prospects than I have the Pirates. I like the Pirates' playoff odds much more than I like the Brewers'. I have to respect the amount of time they have spent in first place this season, nonetheless I am not convinced they are a playoff team. As for the Pirates, definitely see them making a playoff push as one of the WCs.

Oh and by the way.. Cardinals fan here. :theyareontome:

The Pirates are a scary club. I'm never comfortable playing against them. Buncha fucking grinders. And the farm system only intimidates me more. I do like the Cubs' system more but I also have paid a bit more attention to their particular prospects than I have the Pirates. I like the Pirates' playoff odds much more than I like the Brewers'. I have to respect the amount of time they have spent in first place this season, nonetheless I am not convinced they are a playoff team. As for the Pirates, definitely see them making a playoff push as one of the WCs.

Oh and by the way.. Cardinals fan here. :theyareontome:

I was hoping 'yall had Yadier Molina out for much longer than he was. I think they're pushing him back a little too early. Hope he doesn't get reinjured because of it.

And yeah a lot of people say the Cubs have a good farm system, but to me the Pirates beat them out because the Cubs have no pitching. CJ Edwards looks OK but that's all they have. Now I think the Astros have a pretty damn good farm system too. The Cubs are loaded at bats though, but they just need pitching.

I think it's safe to say that the San Francisco Giants are a playoff team. Once they make the playoffs oh boy are they hot. Last three times now that they've gotten into the post season, they've gone all the way to the World Series. And Royals are a tough team and all, but let's not kid ourselves I'm thinking the Giants are going to crush them. Probably win it 4-1 at least. I had a feeling once it came down to Baltimore and Kansas City, that whoever was representing the NL was going to win.

Who knows though Royals have been pretty hot lately. I'm actually rooting for them over the Giants. Royals have a very solid pitching staff led by Shields and Ventura, but I'm just not getting my hopes up at all. Also are the Giants now the first fifth seed to reach the World Series?

This also marks the third time in Giants have reached the World Series in five years. Can we call them a dynasty now?

This also marks the third time in Giants have reached the World Series in five years. Can we call them a dynasty now?

Yes, we can.

Only the second NL team in history to win three championships in five years, and the first in nearly seventy years. Another even year World Series win in 2016 will erase any questions.....

This is the completely unbiased opinion of a lifetime Giants fan. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back