• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2013 MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let us have Nick Swisher sum up the Indians weekend series against the Tigers:

Uk3shsW.gif

Yes, yes. 3 out of 4 on the road ain't to shabby. 7-4 road trip. An actual reliable back of the pen with Smyly and Benoit. An extra innings win. Holy shit. What was that about a division lead Harthan? The calendar has finally turned to July, so that means it's time for the Indians annual fall out of contention swoon, no?

/hubris

:( :( :(

Yeah, that was a really shitty series. If the Indians can't beat Detroit, they've got no hope. Still, I think the Indians can avoid a second half collapse as usual by acquiring a major upgrade, something they've failed to do in the last two years to avert such a problem. Garza or Gallardo and at least one relief pitcher from either the Cubs or the Brewers would be awesome. As a small market team I really hate going for second half rentals, but Garza is really good, and if they can get Russell along with him that'd be alright, since he'd be around for a while at least. At this point I would not really mind moving Carrasco or Bauer or both. They both strike me as mentally unsound and I just don't know if either of them have what it takes to be big league pitchers. Of course, I imagine most of the league evaluates them similarly, and that's a problem for them getting value back. The Indians will probably have to include another pitching prospect - not something I'm crazy about if it's Garza, okay if it's Gallardo - or one of the lower middle infield prospects. Lindor is obviously untouchable in my opinion but I'd be alright with them moving Rodriguez or Wolters, maybe Paulino, if necessary.

I hope they can land one of those names, since I think they're really the only impact pitchers they can add that's better than what we have. Acquiring a starting arm along with a solid bullpen piece means they can also move one of our existing guys to the bullpen (Jimenez might actually do well in the pen), which helps solve a lot of our problems on the way to the finish line.

And just like that, the Tigers screw it up and let the White Sox take two of 3 from them. Ugh...

Our rotation probably needs to make it to the ASB. Scherzer seems to be the only one I can trust right now (Sanchez is still making his way back from his DL stint and looked good through 5 today) to give a dominant outing. Hopefully a few days off and allowing the guys to recharge their batteries for a second half take off is all that's needed.

And DD, make some moves for some bullpen help, please. Not even closer help such as Pappelbon like some are suggesting. Someone like Oliver Perez, Chad Qualls, Jesse Crain, etc. would help this pen out a lot. Phil Coke and Al Albuerquerqe shouldn't be given high stress innings. Even a guy like Rondon I'd like to see more earlier in the game (6th or 7th). Only Smyly and Benoit can I trust, and that's simply not enough for a bullpen. In the postseason it wouldn't be as bad because you could move Porcello to the pen and as long as you got 4-5 good arms you should be good. At least one, possibly 2 relievers need to be added. A bullpen of Benoit/Smyly/Porcello/Coke (as a LOOGY)/AA or Rondon (whoever is hot then)/New Bullpen Guy/New Bullpen Guy or the other one of AA and Rondon is one that I don't love, but I can trust enough in the postseason.

I guess Chris Davis figures that if he's supposed to drop off after the break/Home Run Derby, he might as well knock as many out as possible beforehand.

Thirty-effin-five.

Ryan Braun has been suspended for the rest of the regular season and will not contest the suspension:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9...aukee-brewers-suspended-remainder-2013-season

Ryan Braun said:
As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect. I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions. This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it is has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization.

I am very grateful for the support I have received from players, ownership and the fans in Milwaukee and around the country. Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed -- all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates. I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, and I cannot wait to get back to the game I love.

Ryan Braun said:
As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect. I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions.

Better late than never. Idiot.

Okay, all three contenders for NL Central lost yesterday, so only the Brewers and Cubs gained ground, but they're too far back to make a difference. Cardinals lost today, Reds have a few hours to start time and Buccos are getting ready to start. Bucs have Charlie Morton on the hill, Reds have Bronson Arroyo (old Pirate ironically).

Reds are 2.5 games behind the Pirates and the Pirates are currently winning 1-0 over the Marlins.

It's crunch time for the standings boys.

I'm a Red Sox fan and these last couple years have been very disappointing to say the very least. Yet, the Sox are back in first place after beating Baltimore and Tampa Bay losing to the Yankees.

Something interesting popped into my head and I thought I would share. The 2013 season for the Red Sox looked very grim. I Don't think any one was expecting this from them. I'm not complaining but this season is very refreshing after the saga of the last two seasons.

Now the thought was is this season like the "Impossible Dream" season of 1967? Don't get confused, I'm not saying this is like 1967, but the Sox didn't look too good heading into 67 either and that turned out pretty well. I was expecting the Sox to come back to this form in a few years, but not this soon.

So do you think my comparison is right in a way, or I'm reading way too into it?

*NOTE* I apologize if this is not in the right thread.

The Red Sox, White Sox, and Tigers were apart of a somewhat of a blockbuster last night, which involved:

Red Sox getting Jake Peavy & Brayan Villareal
White Sox getting Avisail Garcia + 3 other prospects
Tigers getting Jose Iglesias

Must say that I like the deal made for the two playoff contenders. With Buchholz having injury issues the Red Sox couldn't hurt adding another arm and Peavy, while being on the DL himself this year, has pitched better than his numbers look. His xFIP is actually lower than last year, mainly due to a career high in HR/9 rate. Going from Chicago to Boston probably won't help that factor all that much, aside from your obvious regression. Brayan Villarreal had a pretty solid year in the pen last year for the Tigers, netting 1.0 WAR, but he's very wild and sometimes seemed a bit too excited and collect himself. If he could ever get his control in check (even to the 4 BB/9 he had last year, which admittedly isn't that great) he could be an effective reliever. A decent lottery ticket gamble.

With the incoming suspension of Jhonny Peralta, the Tigers and DD made a wise decision in getting the young, cost controlled SS from Boston. Boston could afford to deal him with Xander Boegarts in the wing, and the Tigers don't have to use Ramon Santiago as their SS for the next 50ish games. Iglesias has a great glove although his bat, despite his high average right now, leaves a lot to be desired. I'm hoping he's a rich mans Brendan Ryan, which would be extremely valuable to this team. Peralta never had much range, although the stuff he did get to he seemed to make the play 95% of the time. Peralta's a better player right now, but with Iglesias being cost controlled until 2018 this suspension all but ensures that the Tigers will let him walk after the year. Still should bring him back for the postseason (should they make it) but they could use the money they were going to spend on him to extending either Jackson or Scherzer.

As for the White Sox, they get the Tigers clear cut #2 prospect in the system along with more guys that should help their weak farm system out. However, watching Garcia for his handful of games this year and last year, the potential is certainly there, but his swing leaves a bit to be desired. He has a poor batters eye and is quite the free swinger, and if his power doesn't develop his ceiling would probably be a 4th OF. He's got a decent arm in the OF (as shown by his throw out at the plate last postseason against Oakland) and is faster than he looks. Not a big fan of his bat, but with the Tigers low prospect system he was surely one of their best. Haven't heard of the other prospects.

As a life long Pirates fan I'm super excited about this current season's results. I'm really hoping for continued success and I'm thinking this series with the Marlins might help us. To think we only need another 15 wins to break the losing streak. I sincerely hope that the Pirates remained focus as a team and continue to succeed cause if they do October baseball seems more and more likely.

A hypothetical situation for you guys. Cards/Pirates/Reds end in a three way tie. Now, regardless, all 3 would be in the playoffs but they'd all be tied for the division lead.

Also happening, Rays/Red Sox tied for the AL East/1st wild card spot.

Also happening, Athletics/Rangers tied for the AL West/2nd wild card spot.

On top of that, the Athletics and Rangers end with the same record as the Royals, Orioles, and Indians.

From my best estimate, to settle all of that, you'd need 3 days worth of play in games. Personally, I hope this happens. It'd be so much fun to have that many win or go home games and then of course, the win or go home scheduled wild card play ins.

Good lord you just want all of them to run the gauntlet with that situation lol It would certainly be interesting to watch.

You'd have:
Day 1
Red Sox vs Rays
Athletics vs Rangers
Then of the two 3 way ties whoever has the best record head to head getting essentially a bye

Day 2
Winner of the NL Central game 1 vs the remaining team
Winner of the AL Wild Card game 1 vs the remaining team

Day 3
Winner of the 2nd AL Wild Card game vs the loser of Oakland/Texas

The Day 4 would be the wild card round.

A team could win 4 straight win or go home games. I really want there to be at last 1 tie. All those ties would be batshit crazy bit a lot of fun.

The Pirates have traded Alex Presley to the Twins for Justin Morneau. The Vulcan side of me is saying this is logical.

The side of me that has met Alex three times, gotten pictures, autographs and made him smile and laugh each time we met is sobbing so so hard right now

The Sawx just won it all. Good series. I don't think anyone expected these guys to make this run, but they've played out of their minds all season long and are unquestionably the best team in the world right now. Hard for me not to think about the fact that the tremendous Koji Uehara was in Baltimore a few years back, but we got Crush Davis in exchange for him so it worked out. Now for the long wait till next year.

Even though this thread says 2013 and it's going into the '14 season, I'm going to use it anyway for now.

So the owners gave the thumbs up for expanded replay in 2014, and it's good to go the league will now have it. I personally think this is a great move, one of Bud Selig's best. Yes this will change the game from the classic days, but it will also make it more accurate. Especially after this last season which featured some of the worst umpiring calls I have seen.

So now managers will be able to have one challenge per game, along with a second challenge if the first one is ruled in his favor. From what they say, almost 90% of all calls are now reviewable.

In my opinion first base and home plate are the biggest, more specifically home plate. That is where I see the most mistakes. I think as a manager I would rather save the challenge for home plate calls, specifically towards the end of the game where a questionable run called could be the difference.

What are your thoughts on the MLB finally getting instant replays?

So Masahiro Tanaka has finally signed with a team after coming over from Japan, the New York Yankees.

I dislike it. It figures that the Yankees once again go out and scoop up yet another free agent. I mean I suppose after their season last year I should have figured they would go all out. Because baseball doesn't have a salary cap the Yankees can spend as much cash as they want. Most teams are lucky if they can get one big name, but the Yankees have gotten Ellsbury, McCann, Carlos Beltran, and now Tanaka. That is crazy!

I'm thinking about making a thread in the next couple days or so discussing the lack of salary cap in the MLB. It's a problem that is unfortunately very difficult to fix but I'll go more into that when I make the thread.

Anyway I don't know how good Tanaka is going to be. He played well in Japan but it's different over in the MLB. He's getting paid like an ace by the Yankees, but I don't think he will be an ace. He'll probably be a good second guy though.

Anyone have other thoughts on the Tanaka signing?

Actually, they had to get Tanaka. Reason is, because their pitching needs work. CC's getting slower and Kuroda isn't consistant enough to be a "number 2". They wanted to go below the luxury tax this year but they had to get some pitching. With McCan and Roberts and Elisbury they were under the $189mil mark like they wanted but again they HAD to get Tanaka.

That's a very good point, but I still don't think they had to. Of course they did have even more spending money after freeing up some cash with A-Rod's suspension so that was one of the big factors.

But I disagree compared to other teams I think the Yankees were not in a bad situation as far as Sabathia and Kuroda. The two of them both would still be an ace on another team. Yeah Kanaka helps a ton for the future especially because it's a seven year deal, and I'm not sure what their pitching prospects are like down in the farm.

A lot of teams had to get Tanaka though, and I don't think the Yankees were the ones who needed him the most. Then again all that matters is that they were the highest bidders, so they get him and I think he'll definitely make some sort of positive impact even if it isn't an explosive one out of the gate that some might be expecting.

So Masahiro Tanaka has finally signed with a team after coming over from Japan, the New York Yankees.

I dislike it. It figures that the Yankees once again go out and scoop up yet another free agent. I mean I suppose after their season last year I should have figured they would go all out. Because baseball doesn't have a salary cap the Yankees can spend as much cash as they want. Most teams are lucky if they can get one big name, but the Yankees have gotten Ellsbury, McCann, Carlos Beltran, and now Tanaka. That is crazy!

I'm thinking about making a thread in the next couple days or so discussing the lack of salary cap in the MLB. It's a problem that is unfortunately very difficult to fix but I'll go more into that when I make the thread.

Anyway I don't know how good Tanaka is going to be. He played well in Japan but it's different over in the MLB. He's getting paid like an ace by the Yankees, but I don't think he will be an ace. He'll probably be a good second guy though.

Anyone have other thoughts on the Tanaka signing?

Err, the last thing MLB needs is a salary cap. I can already see how bad that thread would turn out to be.

I don't see why it's a big deal from your perspective that it was the Yankees that ended up with him. This isn't a hot prospect like Jose Fernandez or Gerrit Cole that they're getting. They're getting a 25 year old Japanese player who has logged more innings than any MLB pitcher under the age of 24 aside from King Felix (who debuted very young) and are taking quite a risk on him. He certainly doesn't have the pedigree of Darvish (who's probably the best Japanese pitching prospect ever) and he could certainly bust. There is a great risk in giving an unknown 155 million (plus 20 million in posting fees) for the next 7 years. For all we know this could end up to be like the A-Rod contract (which is currently one of the two or three worst deals in MLB). I don't mind the move from the Yankees (since they do need pitching) but with what little we know about him I'd take the wait and see approach to see how he really is.

And the Yankees don't land every superstar. They couldn't even keep one of their own. Remember that guy Robinson Cano? What about Shin-Soo Choo? Ricky Nolasco? There's a lot of quality players the Yankees didn't get this year or in recent years past. To try to play up that narrative after one spending spree is a bit silly.

Tanaka may payoff in the long run. However, the uncertainty makes me scratch my head at the dollar figure. Also, Steve Berthiume made a good point; the Yankees nearly spent half a billion dollars, yet they still have Kelly Johnson and Brian Roberts in their starting lineup. Looking deeper into that statement, I'd even point out that 45 million of that went to Beltran. He had two strong seasons for St. Louis, but it's hard to expect that deal to pay off. I just don't like the way New York does things. I'd rather have seen them spread out their money better, rather than breaking off chunks to a handful of guys. If a GM like John Mozeliak or Andrew Friedman had taken over operations in New York given the same circumstances; budget, needs, etc, I guarantee that New York would have came out of this off season as huge winners. Having spent nearly half a billion, New York still aren't a for sure pennant contender in my opinion. That's just not good

I'd say Beltran's a good get since (I'm assuming) he'll primarily be a DH and it's a short deal. Their 2B has a little bit of hope and rainbows to it (counting on Roberts for any sort of production would be smart only if one were ignorant of his injury history) but I'm not counting them out of making a deal there yet. I also still think they're a pitcher short. I'm not putting much of any faith into the newly-trimmed Sabathia, Kuroda is old and will be fighting a regression monster, Tanaka is an unknown, Nova has been inconsistent, and whoever the 5th is going to be another risk.

However, I wouldn't be worried about them being pennant contenders when at this time last year absolutely nobody was predicting the Red Sox to do what they did.

Err, the last thing MLB needs is a salary cap. I can already see how bad that thread would turn out to be.

Which is why it would be an excellent topic for debate, as we already have differing views. I can't wait to see your opinion on it, maybe you'll change my mind.

I don't see why it's a big deal from your perspective that it was the Yankees that ended up with him. This isn't a hot prospect like Jose Fernandez or Gerrit Cole that they're getting. They're getting a 25 year old Japanese player who has logged more innings than any MLB pitcher under the age of 24 aside from King Felix (who debuted very young) and are taking quite a risk on him. He certainly doesn't have the pedigree of Darvish (who's probably the best Japanese pitching prospect ever) and he could certainly bust. There is a great risk in giving an unknown 155 million (plus 20 million in posting fees) for the next 7 years. For all we know this could end up to be like the A-Rod contract (which is currently one of the two or three worst deals in MLB). I don't mind the move from the Yankees (since they do need pitching) but with what little we know about him I'd take the wait and see approach to see how he really is.

And the Yankees don't land every superstar. They couldn't even keep one of their own. Remember that guy Robinson Cano? What about Shin-Soo Choo? Ricky Nolasco? There's a lot of quality players the Yankees didn't get this year or in recent years past. To try to play up that narrative after one spending spree is a bit silly.

Yeah, I suppose I agree with you that maybe it isn't that big of a deal, but it's just that they remind me of the spoiled kid in the store that sees something that they want and their parents buy it for them. You're right it is just one year spending spree, but how many other teams could actually go out and do that? Could a team like the Indians go out and land Carlos Beltran, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Brian McCann all in one go? No way, and just the fact that the Yankees can do that when they want bothers me.

From their view point, though, they definitely needed to make a lot of big moves after their dramatic drop in last years season. It obviously wasn't the caliber of play that they or anyone else were used to seeing from that club, and it's no shock that they're pulling out all the stops in signing big talent. Plus they freed up a lot of space from A-Rod's contract, along with letting Robinson Cano loose.

I am curious to see how Tanaka plays. He is probably better off there from a performance stand point than he would be on the Chicago Cubs.

Good points from all of you guys though, and maybe I shouldn't be too quick to rip on the Yankees' spending.

That's a very good point, but I still don't think they had to. Of course they did have even more spending money after freeing up some cash with A-Rod's suspension so that was one of the big factors.

But I disagree compared to other teams I think the Yankees were not in a bad situation as far as Sabathia and Kuroda. The two of them both would still be an ace on another team. Yeah Kanaka helps a ton for the future especially because it's a seven year deal, and I'm not sure what their pitching prospects are like down in the farm.

A lot of teams had to get Tanaka though, and I don't think the Yankees were the ones who needed him the most. Then again all that matters is that they were the highest bidders, so they get him and I think he'll definitely make some sort of positive impact even if it isn't an explosive one out of the gate that some might be expecting.

Who needed him most? Especially of the 5 that bid on him. The White Sox and Dodgers didn't NEED him. Diamondbacks and Cubs needed a front line starter, Cubs especially since they have very little pitching prospects. Yankees have CC who is getting older and had an un-CC year last season. Kuroda is 38 and probably doesn't have too many more seasons in him. Nova is serviceable but isn't anything special. They could've potentially slugged their way to a playoff spot, but Tanaka will be the ace of a weak pitching staff.

The Seattle Mariners are without a doubt turning into my favorite MLB team. As of right now they have three of my big AL money league players. Three! Robinson Cano, Felix Hernandez, and Fernando Rodney. King Felix was already in Seattle, but Seattle went out and bought Cano and Rodney this offseason.

I was sweating bullets during their free agency run, because the way my league works is this...there's two separate leagues in our league, the AL and NL. Everyone has one team in each, each with different managers and what not as well. Yeah we hire managers for our teams it's fun. So the AL team obviously consists of all players in the AL, and you would put a DH in your lineup. The AL side is a draft. The NL side has all NL players, and it is an auction. Last year and before that we had raises, so player's salaries would raise depending on certain situations. I'm currently on working on getting those thrown out, and maybe down the road switch to contracts.

Anyway getting to the point, AL players stay in the AL and NL players stay in the NL. So what happens if you someone on the Yankees is traded to someone on the Cardinals? You lose them. So I was having a heart attack with both of those guys. Robinson Cano is not only my best player on the AL team, but he's also my favorite player in the league. And Fernando Rodney I got in a trade last year, and he was a huge help to my bullpen. At the time my bullpen was absolute trash. I had 0 closers despite focusing on bullpen for the first three rounds of the draft last year. Made the mistake of drafting Joel Hanrahan in the first. That clearly didn't work out. So I ended up trading Josh Donaldson and Jason Castro in order to get Rodney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back