• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2013 MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe this is finally the Pirates year, but I really think they gotta make a bold move and go after Giancarlo. Yes it'll cost some top prospects, but the guy is still young and under contract until 2016. Not only that, but he fills a need and gives them something that separates them and the Cards + Reds - offense. Pittsburgh hasn't had much to cheer for in the last 20 years, but a McCutchen/Stanton 3-4 combo would make them an even bigger threat.

Stanton is barely making over 500k this year. He is totally affordable for the Pirates. THey will probably have to offer up a similar deal to the one that the Tigers offered to bring in Cabrera, but they need to make that big move to put them over the top.

If they don't go after him, they need to try to bring in a decent starting pitcher. Hell they may be able to bring in Nolasco if they offer up another solid prospect in the deal.

I don't know if they need to bring in a decent arm in as much as sticking with the best they got. Instead of having Charlie Morton or James McDonald (when he returns) be one of their arms in the rotation, they should at least roll with Gerit Cole for the time being. He hasn't been blowing by hitters (only 8 K in 18 IP) but he's got the pedigree and talent where he shouldn't be toiling in the minors until it's clear he isn't ready.

A rotation of Burnett/Locke/Wandy/Liriano/Cole is asking for at least a little bit of regression (Locke in particular) but is much more formidable than having Morton or McDonald in there.

Stanton is barely making over 500k this year. He is totally affordable for the Pirates. THey will probably have to offer up a similar deal to the one that the Tigers offered to bring in Cabrera, but they need to make that big move to put them over the top.

If they don't go after him, they need to try to bring in a decent starting pitcher. Hell they may be able to bring in Nolasco if they offer up another solid prospect in the deal.

Their starting pitching has been fine. Their bullpen is what they need to worry about. Grilli and Melancon have never had this level of success and are on pace to destroy their previous marks for innings pitched in a season. Every team could use a bat (yes, even the Cards), but if I were Pittsburgh, I would focus on getting some reinforcements for the bullpen.

One can only hope this is true. Hell of a game today once again, Pedro is some kind of baseball machine right know. Big hits by Martin and #MartePartay in the ninth. And somehow able to survive Grilli's worst appearance from the season.

They're definitely a bat short though (OF and/or SS) and a trade for Giancarlo Stanton would make me very happy, however they'd probably have to give up Taillon and a few other prospects. Regardless, I will continue with my cautious optimism until win number 82 is in the books.

No.

No.

NO.

Stanton is not worth the loss of good prospects. It's simple logic. Remember how worth it it was to get Johnathon Sanchez? Yeah, let's not take THAT risk again

No.

No.

NO.

Stanton is not worth the loss of good prospects. It's simple logic. Remember how worth it it was to get Johnathon Sanchez? Yeah, let's not take THAT risk again

Stanton is young (probably younger than at least one prospect the Pirates would trade) and really good. In fact, you could argue that he would immediately be the best player in Pittsburgh as soon as he walked in the door. Talent like that doesn't come around every day.

Their starting pitching has been fine. Their bullpen is what they need to worry about. Grilli and Melancon have never had this level of success and are on pace to destroy their previous marks for innings pitched in a season. Every team could use a bat (yes, even the Cards), but if I were Pittsburgh, I would focus on getting some reinforcements for the bullpen.

It has been fine, but they have some serious regression guys coming. Locke has been possibly the luckiest pitcher in the game this year. 2.01 ERA compared to a 3.78 FIP and 4.06 xFIP and a .231 BABIP. He won't lose his spot, of course, but he won't be able to carry the number 2 role in the future. Burnett has been the real deal and Liriano looks legit, but with him you never know when he'll revert to old Francisco. Wandy's coming out a bit lucky as well, and the rest of the guys haven't pitched a notable amount of innings.

I'm not trying to knock the rotation as being bad, but they could certainly use an upgrade at the 5th starter spot if they don't wanna run with Cole. Even someone like Scott Feldman or Shaun Marcum would be a better piece than most of their in house options.

No.

No.

NO.

Stanton is DEFINITELY worth the price of Taillon. Stanton and Sanchez shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. Sanchez was never as thought of as Stanton is. He's only 23, he can hit homers, and he would instantly cure some of their offensive woes. Prospects are never sure things and if you can get a young stud like Stanton for him the Pirates should absolutely make a play for him.

Yeah, Johathon Sanchez was just picked off of waivers or something. Not the same thing at all. According to the rumors it'd take Taillon, Polanco (only 19 and in AA I believe) and probably Tony Sanchez at the very least to get Stanton. And I agree with most and think you have to do it. It makes you better this year and you have Stanton under contract for awhile. A Marte, Cutch, Stanton outfield is just too exciting for me

Being the resident O's fan and having heard the rumblings from the naysayers and skeptics, I'm going to go ahead and ask this of you guys:

Do you think Chris Davis is on PEDs?

I don't. His power has always been there, he's just a better hitter this year overall. But, as much as I want to say that's an unbiased opinion, it can't help but be. So is anybody suspicious, or are we just seeing a talented slugger finally come into his own?

I don't think its PEDs, I think its a combination of a guy with talent finally developing, a lack of pressure on him, and getting consistent playing time. When he was in Texas he was brought up in '08, the first season the Rangers started to show signs of life. He was a young slugger who was supposed to help power the offense, and in terms of home run power he was, but he struck out way too often and was hitting around .200. Due to that he bounced between the majors and Triple A a fair amount. The Rangers were contenders in his time there, they didn't have time to be patient with him. During his time in Texas he was basically what Adam Dunn has been the last couple seasons, minus the walks.

This year he was just supposed to be a decent slugger on a team who had a lucky season last year, but much like the entire O's team, he has surprised a lot of people. I think the lack of team expectations helped him relax, and probably made him a bit more determined. I think he has a better coach in Showalter than he did in Ron Washington, and he has cut down on the strikeouts a bit and has learned to be a more complete hitter.

That said he is only two(I think) homeruns off his season total from last year already, so of course people are going to talk, especially in baseball.

Looks like yesterday was "O's fans address the elephant in the room day," as an O's fan on Twitter just went right to the source and asked Davis himself:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...ers-steroids-fan-no-davis-says-143252701.html

David Brown said:
There you have it. A direct question gets a direct answer. No equivocating. No gray area. No "speak to my attorney." Not even umbrage, at least that's obvious. Just a flat "no."

:)

I agree with Yaz's assessment wholeheartedly. It's certainly not unheard of for a slugger to have a breakout year. Davis has said that he's changed his bat, cut down on unnecessary movement, and modified his warm-up routine, among other things. Shame that the sport took such a beating that this even has to be asked, but I couldn't be happier that Davis just answered the steroid question directly when asked by a fan.

I wouldn't say it was steroids, as I'd trust MLB's drug testing system to catch him by now if he was (Melky was caught during the middle of his fantastic season last year). Plus he's posted high Isolated power averages before in the minors, so it's not like this is a Brendan Ryan or Ben Revere hitting 30 Home Runs by the end of June. I don't expect him to sustain home runs at this rate because he isn't Barry Bonds and because you don't see guys putting up a .394 ISO through full seasons, at least in this era.

Basically, it's a guy with legit power rolling through a great first 3 months right now. I'm cautious to jump on the 60 HR bandwagon because he has never lasted a full season (missed 23 games last year) and this is completely out of nowhere like Bautista's 2010. I could see him topping 50 HR's, but just your typical regression may take a few HR's away from him.

I wouldn't say it was steroids, as I'd trust MLB's drug testing system to catch him by now if he was (Melky was caught during the middle of his fantastic season last year). Plus he's posted high Isolated power averages before in the minors, so it's not like this is a Brendan Ryan or Ben Revere hitting 30 Home Runs by the end of June. I don't expect him to sustain home runs at this rate because he isn't Barry Bonds and because you don't see guys putting up a .394 ISO through full seasons, at least in this era.

Basically, it's a guy with legit power rolling through a great first 3 months right now. I'm cautious to jump on the 60 HR bandwagon because he has never lasted a full season (missed 23 games last year) and this is completely out of nowhere like Bautista's 2010. I could see him topping 50 HR's, but just your typical regression may take a few HR's away from him.

Very reminiscent of Bautista's explosion. If he stays healthy, I'm comfortable predicting 50+ homers for him though. His longest streak without one is 8 games, I think. A daunting pace to keep up, but the way he's hitting it certainly isn't out of the question. 60 is a dream, but some dreams come true. The AL record is still held by Roger Maris, and it's past due for it to fall. Would love to rub salt in the wound we're opening up against the Yankees by having Davis do it.

Homer Bailey just tossed a no-no against the Giants. He threw the last no-no of 2012 and he throws the first one of 2013. Just an interesting tidbit.

The Giants have been playing poorly lately. They only won ten games all of June.

Doing my rounds on the interwebs, and I keep seeing all the talk about it, especially after Jonathan Papelbon came out so vehemently against it, so again I come to you guys for your opinions:

Should Yasiel Puig be on the NL All-Star team?

ESPN.com has a poll up, and 57% of responses are "yes." Now, the kid has had an amazing month, but it's a month. I can't get behind it myself. You guys are a very knowledgeable bunch so I sincerely look forward to seeing what you think.

Doing my rounds on the interwebs, and I keep seeing all the talk about it, especially after Jonathan Papelbon came out so vehemently against it, so again I come to you guys for your opinions:

Should Yasiel Puig be on the NL All-Star team?

ESPN.com has a poll up, and 57% of responses are "yes." Now, the kid has had an amazing month, but it's a month. I can't get behind it myself. You guys are a very knowledgeable bunch so I sincerely look forward to seeing what you think.

It's entirely up to how many outfielders that Bruce Bochy feels like he should take. In my personal opinion, the All-Star recognition should reflect who has had the best season to date, and who has accumulated the most value for their team. Puig has had an absolutely unbelievable month - but you can only get so much done in a month. I would say that Puig cracked the top ten of all outfielders in 2013 with that month alone. Last year, the National League named 8 outfielders on their original roster, but named 11 in the end. Given the opportunity to name an ideal All-Star team, no, I wouldn't name Puig. But he would be among the first few names I'd go and look at for injury replacements.

I hate to be the guy who agrees with Papelbon, but I have to on this. Puig has had a fantastic month, one of the best one month stretches in recent memory and he has helped the Dodgers turn their season around, but it is only a month. A lot of guys start April hot and then tail off into average seasons. They don't get to be All-Stars based on having a hot April.

I remember a few years back when the Braves first brought up Jeff Francoeur he went on a tear for the first five or six weeks. He was on the cover of SI with the title "The Natural"

francoeur_si.jpg

There it is.

He cooled off after the hot start, and ended up having a few decent seasons with the Braves until they traded him to the Mets and he bounced around a few teams and just this week the Royal designated him for assignment.

Now I'm not saying Puig will end up as the next Francoeur, but lets not get carried away. I know that fan vote decides the starters, but if the MLB insists on making the All-Star game determine home field advantage then they need to select people who are having All-Star years, not All-Star months.

There are plenty of people who have had one good month in MLB, and that doesn't make them All-Stars. It's fine if Puig is invited to the Home Run Derby since that is more of a spectacle anyway, but let's wait until he's actually played half a season at least before we start throwing accolades at him.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I say let this kid in. He's been nothing short of fantastic during his first month in the bigs. I want to see the stars in the All-Star game. If Bryan LaHair, a guy who was out of the league by the end of the year, can make an All-Star game, why not Puig? If a small sample is your only argument, I guess relievers shouldn't make it either then? Puig will have more PA by the time the ASB rolls around then most relievers have BF.

Normally, one great month wouldn't be enough to convince me. But with the way this kid has played and how dominant he's looked to start off, is there any real reason people wouldn't want him in other than "it's been one hot month"?

I guess I'm in the minority here. I say let this kid in. He's been nothing short of fantastic during his first month in the bigs. I want to see the stars in the All-Star game. If Bryan LaHair, a guy who was out of the league by the end of the year, can make an All-Star game, why not Puig? If a small sample is your only argument, I guess relievers shouldn't make it either then? Puig will have more PA by the time the ASB rolls around then most relievers have BF.

Normally, one great month wouldn't be enough to convince me. But with the way this kid has played and how dominant he's looked to start off, is there any real reason people wouldn't want him in other than "it's been one hot month"?

IT'S THE ONLY ARGUMENT I NEED, 'TRON!

Nah, you make a very fair point. I don't think relievers are a great comparison because of the nature of their duties. I get your point though, I think- if a month is all we have to go off of, so be it. I was reading Richard Justice's article on MLB.com last night, and he also makes a good case. Harthan's point about the number of outfielders included also made me a little more amenable to the idea.

I guess the essence of my objection is that I just feel that baseball is about the long haul. Yaz's example of Francoeur attests to that. There's certainly compelling arguments on both sides, although they're certainly not found in the comments sections of most websites/blogs. It certainly wouldn't be a great stain or any sort of mockery if he made it. It'd just be an exceptional circumstance, and one I (and probably most fans) would be fine with.

My old man is chafed that Puig might go while Manny Machado won't. I'm sure that sports talk radio in Baltimore has had its fair share of callers who share that sentiment.

I actually have to agree with Papelbon. Puig has started hot. I remember back in the 90s can't really remember what year (94 maybe) my Blue Jays called up Carlos Delgado and he tore the roof of the place. He put up great numbers and then was subsequently demoted once he started to tail off. He did go on to become one of the greatest Blue Jays of all time, but the point I am making is don't give a hotshot rookie a chance to play in the All star game a month into his career when there is no guarantee that he will even stick with the big club

THIRTY-THREE! Crush still has Maris in his sights. I forgot which talking head/sportswriter said it, but it's a shame that baseball has fallen so far out of mainstream public consciousness that all the outstanding performances so far this year aren't bigger stories. A season like this 15 years ago would be front page news across the country.

Looks like there was some good old fashioned ballot stuffing in Baltimore, wasn't there Dr.? ;) 3 Orioles are named ASG starters, with only Davis really deserving. To be fair, OF and SS haven't been exactly strong positions in the AL this year, but I still see more deserving players over them.

I can't complain, though, as 6 Tigers are on the team, with newly appointed closer Joaquin Benoit in the final vote as a chance as well. Cabrera/Scherzer/Peralta are all no brainers and could be made an argument to start, Verlander hasn't been at the top of his game but is still worthy from that rotation, Hunter I don't agree much with as he's cooled off greatly since April and Fielder I'm indifferent on since 1B is somewhat weak and he's been pretty good. Would've liked to see Sanchez make it on as well but the injury probably did him in, which is a shame.

Biggest snubs I see would probably be Longo and Donaldson, but what hurts them is that 3B is so deep with Cabrera and Machado definite's someone would likely be screwed.

Looks like there was some good old fashioned ballot stuffing in Baltimore, wasn't there Dr.? ;) 3 Orioles are named ASG starters, with only Davis really deserving. To be fair, OF and SS haven't been exactly strong positions in the AL this year, but I still see more deserving players over them.

I can't complain, though, as 6 Tigers are on the team, with newly appointed closer Joaquin Benoit in the final vote as a chance as well. Cabrera/Scherzer/Peralta are all no brainers and could be made an argument to start, Verlander hasn't been at the top of his game but is still worthy from that rotation, Hunter I don't agree much with as he's cooled off greatly since April and Fielder I'm indifferent on since 1B is somewhat weak and he's been pretty good. Would've liked to see Sanchez make it on as well but the injury probably did him in, which is a shame.

Biggest snubs I see would probably be Longo and Donaldson, but what hurts them is that 3B is so deep with Cabrera and Machado definite's someone would likely be screwed.

Baltimore is neither big enough nor motivated enough a city to ballot stuff. Love Charm City to death, but as Drederick Tatum once said, "If
you ever see me there again you'll know I really [bleeped]-up bad."

Totally stoked that Manny made it. Didn't expect him to get in over Longoria. Can't argue if you feel that there are more deserving players than Hardy or Jones, but naturally I disagree. Their numbers bear out their selections, and it's not like they got in on name recognition. Just be glad the Tigers aren't in the East anymore. :p

Let us have Nick Swisher sum up the Indians weekend series against the Tigers:

Uk3shsW.gif

Yes, yes. 3 out of 4 on the road ain't to shabby. 7-4 road trip. An actual reliable back of the pen with Smyly and Benoit. An extra innings win. Holy shit. What was that about a division lead Harthan? The calendar has finally turned to July, so that means it's time for the Indians annual fall out of contention swoon, no?

/hubris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back