10 years on Montreal Screwjob

When it comes to the issue of being concerned about the WWF championship belt being shown on WCW television, couldn't Vince just have walked away from the ring area with Bret Hart to the back stage area away from the cameras and just physically taken the belt from him there after the end of the match at Survivor Series since it was his property and just a "prop" as many users on this thread called it?

Thats what I never really understood, its not like Bret wears that belt on himself 24/7. Im sure he leaves it sitting around especially when he is showering. I mean couldnt you have just went into the locker room and grabbed it while he was in the shower? I just think the whole belt going on TV thing was a lame excuse from Vince.

Thats what I never really understood, its not like Bret wears that belt on himself 24/7. Im sure he leaves it sitting around especially when he is showering. I mean couldnt you have just went into the locker room and grabbed it while he was in the shower? I just think the whole belt going on TV thing was a lame excuse from Vince.

That's a great point and i've wondered that myself. Shawn, HHH and Flair have the nerve to accuse Bret of being a mark for the business and taking himself to seriously while Vince makes a spectacle out of getting his belt back. Did he really have to do it on tv? Why couldn't he have let the match finish and then have security come and take the belt from Bret in the locker room...

or tell Bret he would hold it until the next night and when Bret arrived to give a speech and forfeit the title like he wanted he'd hand it to him before he went through the curtain. That would not have damaged anyone...everyone knew he was leaving for WCW anyway. I'm sure at that point Bret would have said it was ok to take the belt, the match would be over and he would not have had to put Shawn over by then so who cares?

This just proves that Vince was using both Shawn and Bret as pawns in a power play and playing them off one another, and by screwing Bret he sent a message to the entire locker room: Don't fuck with me or I'll screw you out of a job.

He did it to his biggest star, what made anyone else in that locker room think he would not do it to them? In the words of Mark "Undertaker" Calaway "The whole thing could have and should have been avoided and was not necessary".

Obviously Vince takes wrestling and 'fake' title belts a little more seriously than Bret does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back