What if Roman Reigns....

The_Don

Occasional Pre-Show
I've been thinking about Reigns and his recent success as the most important member of the former Shield (at least WWE was focusing on him the most). My question is this:

Would Reigns be equally successful if he didn't have the Spear as his finishing move?

The Spear has to be the finisher/strong move that has been the most used by many wrestlers. We've seen Goldberg, Rhino (same thing as the Gore), Edge, Batista, Big Show, Lashley and now Reigns (maybe I forgot more wrestlers that used it) using the Spear at least on WWE tv. For me, to give a superstar a finisher like the Spear tells me that WWE was vague in selecting a proper or new finisher.

Who else thinks the same?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Why come up with something that's probably complicated and needs setup when u can just have a spear? Not to mention he has the spear because he can actually execute it very well. And frankly, not that many superstars use the spear as a finishing move. Most don't use it. Big Show does it and it's not a finisher by any means, same for Batista.

I think you and I have a different understand of the word "many". I think before Reigns, there was a need for someone who could execute a good spear. Before Reigns there wasnt anyone really for the longest time to execute it well and look good doing it.

Look at Dean Ambrose's finisher. There are like 3-4 wrestlers combined in NXT and WWE that have a BARELY modified version of it. That's what I call overused.

And yes Reigns would be equally successful because he would still have a power move that would destroy planets so it would be the same thing. Sure maybe a good executed spear is a few percentages above other moves but I don't think it is that big of a deal as long as his finisher has nice impact and is crowd pleasing.

And if anything, kayfabe wise, Seth Rollins was the most important member of the Shield. He was the one to keep the Shield together, he became the leader the further the Shield went. At first it was Ambrose and then slowly Rollins, due to story line reasons, had to become the architect of the Shield and had a lot of mic time to prove himself. Reigns was just given a lot of spotlight because they to give him some. Ambrose always has good ring antics and very good mic performance and is decent in the ring. Rollins has good mic skills aswell and is awesome in the ring. So they needed to make Reigns the stand-out as he is the bigger guy and has that "perfect WWE" look.

Why come up with something that's probably complicated and needs setup when u can just have a spear? Not to mention he has the spear because he can actually execute it very well.
That's my point, WWE took the easy way out by giving him the over-used Spear. Don't get me wrong, I think the Spear is a bad ass move, but still many have used it as a finisher or as a part of their arsenal.

And frankly, not that many superstars use the spear as a finishing move. Most don't use it. Big Show does it and it's not a finisher by any means, same for Batista.
That's why I said the Spear is used as a finisher/strong move. Only Reigns uses it as a finisher today, but I've seen Batista & Big Show win matches with their Spears.

Look at Dean Ambrose's finisher. There are like 3-4 wrestlers combined in NXT and WWE that have a BARELY modified version of it. That's what I call overused.
But at least it's a variation of the move. Now the Spear has NO variation for setting it up and executing it. It's the same exact move others have performed it.

I think that WWE should limit the Spear to ONE wrestler. It's stupid to have someone use the Spear as a finisher and others as a part of their arsenal. It's the EXACT same move.

I've talked about this before. Don't fix what ain't broke. The spear is big and impactful. It fits the character. And, the crowd pops for it. Just because the IWC thinks a lot of people use the spear doesn't mean the entire audience feels the same. As far as most fans know, it's a spear. And when Roman reigns does it it looks good and it hurts like hell. There's no need for him to get a new finisher when people already identify him with the spear, and react when he does it. And if the crowd reacts when they see it, then there's no need to change it.

I've talked about this before. Don't fix what ain't broke. There's no need for him to get a new finisher when people already identify him with the spear, and react when he does it. And if the crowd reacts when they see it, then there's no need to change it.

Just to clarify, in the topic I didn't suggest to remove the Spear from Reigns, I was just asking if he would've been successful w/o the Spear.

And then I added that WWE should limit the Speat to ONE wrestler. Reigns should be the only one doing it, not Big Show (who did it on SmackDown) nor Batista (used it before he "quitted")

If the wrestler can execute the move properly, then it'll work, I think it would be good to see Reigns use a rock bottom for a finish to potentially lead to a match with The Rock.

I think Reigns executes the spear extremely well. It fits his build, and his moveset as the big, powerful "closer". Knowing Batista may well be completely done with WWE by the end of 2015 if not before, and if Reigns does deliver on his promise and can hang as a main event singles star, then I very much doubt we'd see any future superstar use the spear for a while. I think if Reigns reaches the promised land, the spear should be his, and his alone until he's done.

If you use the spear as a finisher I'm immediately not caring about you as a wrestler.

TOO MANY SPEARS. Too many wrestlers have them. It's gotta go man. I mean, shit. Edge, Big Show, Batista, Rhyno, Christian, Reigns, Lashley, Goldberg. Probably more, and these are just WWE guys (at some point.)

I'm just done with that bullshit move for over a decade now. Stop it.

Lashley won the TNA title tonight.

Guess what his finisher was?

Hint : It's the same finisher that will win Roman Reigns a title at WM 31.

yes, he still would be just as successful without the spear. A move is a move, it's the buildup, anticipation and how the announcers put the move over. Look how goofy the mandible claw and the people's elbow were. Nowadays, Wade Barrett has the bullhammer, which is essentially just a cross elbow.

That being said, with somebody Reigns' size, I would have just gone with a powerbomb, since they've been doing a 3 man powerbomb all along

No, when he debuted I thought the same thing. Another guy doing the spear, but Reigns makes it work and I don't see any reason for him to get rid of it. Edge has retired so he won't be using it anytime soon, so it's not like we are going to see an abundance of spears coming from many superstars.

I don't think the spear is solely responsible for the success of Roman Reigns. It's a killer looking move that he can do to anyone regardless of size, as is the superman punch. They are such simple, but high impact moves, but neither Ambrose nor Rollins have the size to pull either of them off quite like Reigns does.

Reigns would be just as successful using a powerbomb or a variation of that move, but WWE chose for him to use the spear.

Ace says it best, it's a simple impactful move that doesn't need a lot of set up. Big Roman has been using that wicked looking "Superman Punch" as a set up for the spear so most guys haven't even seen him chargeing in for the spear. It looks like he's going to be fast tracked to the title. Hard to believe that he'll be only the second Samoan to win a world heavyweight championship.

Ace says it best, it's a simple impactful move that doesn't need a lot of set up. Big Roman has been using that wicked looking "Superman Punch" as a set up for the spear so most guys haven't even seen him chargeing in for the spear. It looks like he's going to be fast tracked to the title. Hard to believe that he'll be only the second Samoan to win a world heavyweight championship.

Both Yoko and Rock have held it. Roman will be the 3rd.

He could use more moves though, but I like his athleticism when he does his moves. The Superman Punch and his Spear gets me hyped. Next time I get into a drunken fight (lol), I'm Superman Punching someone.

He didn't use the spear as his finisher down in NXT/FCW. He used something that looked similar to a rock bottom, but it was more sideways. (You can always find it over on YouTube, but since I don't know if links like that are allowed here I'm not going to post one)

IMO, Roman is one of those guys just simply has that look. That 'it' factor. It's a presence that he has in the ring. He's not the best wrestler in the world, nor does he have the greatest mic skills, although he is improving in BOTH areas, but what he does have is that intangible aura about him that draws you in. At least, he does with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back