The WCW Region: General Discussion

Pretty stacked region here in WCW.

A number of guys could win this region and all would have fors and againsts as to why they can get the job done.

I am really really really looking forward to Undertaker and Sting meeting and finally going toe to toe with teh Stinger getting the win.

Will be voting for Sting to win the WCW region, over anyone, afterall who better to win the WCW region than WCW's own Icon.

Like I said in the ECW thread, the way the wrestlers are falling into these regions is making a huge difference. While Vader is lucky he got TNA, and RVD and AJ are lucky to be in TNA, HBK is just as unlucky to be in ECW, and Funk is unlucky to be in WCW.

This is a stacked bracket right now. After the tests these men will face, I would not be surprised if the winner of the whole thing comes from here. But, if we take this bracket, and drop it in TNA, the whole dynamic changes. All of a sudden some of these guys aren't so effective, and anyone that pops up later could be more of a favorite.

I can't wait to see who else shows up in WCW, and to see how the match-ups start panning out.

I want Benoit to win here, he'll have my vote throughout this region. I know th 2 biggest names to most will be Hogan/Cena. Bur I never really liked Hogan, and Cena is the most overrated man in the business today. Simply put, yes, I'm basing this on my personal preference of the wrestlers, and no, I don't care if that bothers you. Well that, and when I get Shawn through the ECW region, he has a much better chance at defeating Benoit that he does Hogan, there are way too many Hogan marks for my liking.

Becca. You disappoint me. Sure Benoit was a phenomenal wrestler. Im not taking into account his personal issues as that is wrong. But when you have someone like STING! A man who has done way much more than the vanilla bean known as Chris Benoit. It just isnt right. Hogan and Sting should be the finals of this region. An epic showdown to say the least. Sting SHOULD win the region as Hogan is more well known for his better work in the WWE. Also because Hogan was made to be a joke in WCW in the later years. While Sting was just as strong as ever.

Becca. You disappoint me. Sure Benoit was a phenomenal wrestler. Im not taking into account his personal issues as that is wrong. But when you have someone like STING! A man who has done way much more than the vanilla bean known as Chris Benoit. It just isnt right. Hogan and Sting should be the finals of this region. An epic showdown to say the least. Sting SHOULD win the region as Hogan is more well known for his better work in the WWE. Also because Hogan was made to be a joke in WCW in the later years. While Sting was just as strong as ever.

Babe, are you really trying to tell me, with the amoutn of Hogan marks on this board, that Sting will win? In no way did I say that he shouldn't, I said that Cena and Hogan would be the favourites, do you really think differently to that?

Babe, are you really trying to tell me, with the amoutn of Hogan marks on this board, that Sting will win? In no way did I say that he shouldn't, I said that Cena and Hogan would be the favourites, do you really think differently to that?

Cena? He's got a pretty big test in Goldberg. I don't think he'd beat him in a WCW arena. Goldberg was unstoppable during his prime. Cena would get in a few good moves, but would you really by the Five Knuckle Shuffle taking out Goldberg? I plan on ending my post for that match with: "Who's next?!"

Sting is still my favorite. He was WCW, and no one can beat him in popularity there. He can beat Goldberg, and will beat Cena if an upset occurs. Hogan is an all-time great, but he'd only beat Sting in WWE. He should have a chance at winning the whole thing, but this is a bad draw for him. Undertaker would be the biggest test for Sting, but I think that's because they were never big in the same company like Hogan and Sting were. We have pre-existing Sting v. Hogan material. We don't have an idea on Sting v. 'Taker.

Cena? He's got a pretty big test in Goldberg. I don't think he'd beat him in a WCW arena. Goldberg was unstoppable during his prime. Cena would get in a few good moves, but would you really by the Five Knuckle Shuffle taking out Goldberg? I plan on ending my post for that match with: "Who's next?!"

Goldberg will also have my vote, don't worry about that.

Sting is still my favorite. He was WCW, and no one can beat him in popularity there. He can beat Goldberg, and will beat Cena if an upset occurs. Hogan is an all-time great, but he'd only beat Sting in WWE. He should have a chance at winning the whole thing, but this is a bad draw for him. Undertaker would be the biggest test for Sting, but I think that's because they were never big in the same company like Hogan and Sting were. We have pre-existing Sting v. Hogan material. We don't have an idea on Sting v. 'Taker.

Same again, I will be voting for Sting, because I kind of hate Hogan. But I still don't think he will win. There are people basically demanding that Hogan makes it to the Final Four this year, because he (rightly) has never done so before. Just based on looking at who I think people will vote for, I think Hogan has this one.

Same again, I will be voting for Sting, because I kind of hate Hogan. But I still don't think he will win. There are people basically demanding that Hogan makes it to the Final Four this year, because he (rightly) has never done so before. Just based on looking at who I think people will vote for, I think Hogan has this one.

It's easier for people to vote against Hogan, than it is to vote against Undertaker. People have stated their reasons for hating Hogan, and some people ust don't like him. There's no reason to hate the Undertaker.

Hogan may have more fans than not, but Undertaker doesn't have any non-fans from what I've seen here. In a Hogan v. Sting match, I'd vote Sting, based on it being in WCW. But, I'd probably vote Undertaker in a match-up with Sting.

While I think Hogan will easily get into the regional finals, I don't see him winning.
The single most intriguing match maybe in this entire tournament could occur in this region and that's of course Sting vs Undertaker. They have never had a match and were in opposing companies, so we are just going to have to look at credentials here. But the biggest factor is that this is WCW where Sting should be untouchable..even to Hogan. But Taker certainly stands more of than a punchers chance and I'm anxious to see this matchup occur. Sting is my odds on favorite to win the whole thing and has my full backing, so we'll have to see how many people are on the bandwagon.
Either one is definitely going over Hogan I think.

The single most intriguing match maybe in this entire tournament could occur in this region and that's of course Sting vs Undertaker. They have never had a match and were in opposing companies, so we are just going to have to look at credentials here. But the biggest factor is that this is WCW where Sting should be untouchable..even to Hogan. But Taker certainly stands more of than a punchers chance and I'm anxious to see this matchup occur. Sting is my odds on favorite to win the whole thing and has my full backing, so we'll have to see how many people are on the bandwagon.
Either one is definitely going over Hogan I think.

Sting has my vote through the WCW Regon as well. If all the top seeds win their brackets, we'll come down to:

Hogan v. Cena in a gimmick match & Undertaker v. Sting in a gimmick match.

These are two matches that everyone has dreamt of, and whoever wins of these four, has to be an odds-on favorite to win the whole thing. To go through your opponent, and then the winner of the other match, is enough to make me believe they can beat anyone.

There could be up to 10 guys competing for WCW's crown. I think it all comes down to Goldberg, Hogan, Sting, and the Deadman.

WCW was all Sting, and should be here, but it won't be easy. It'd be tough to argue anyone winning over any one other wrestler here, so it'll come down to the popular vote, and not people who actually care about the tournament.

My WCW Final has Sting beating Goldberg, and Sting moving on to the finals of the entire tournament.

If we are giong by guys in their prime (which I assume we are) then Hogan takes this for me. Taker's beaten Hogan but then again he had Flair, Paul Bearer, Hogan smacked with an earn and then Tombstoned onto a chair. Sting beat Hogan, but he beat NWO Hogan widely considered to be inferior to Hulkamania Hogan, same is said for Goldberg, who had a distraction help him anyway. John Cena and Hulk Hogan have never met but I'd be willing to say that Cena couldnt topple this man in his prime. Warrior did it but lost twice to Hogan afterward. Taker did it with a LOT of help.

Hogan's biggest challenge is Sting, Sting is really the only one here who stood a real chance against Hulkamania without help. He also has the WCW crowd in his favour. Still I cant see him overcoming Hulk Hogan, it'll be the same result to what actually happened at Starcade. Only this time Bret Hart wont reverse the decision.

I'd take Sting over The Undertaker and Cena over Goldberg as well should it come down to it.

sting will be one of the last beyond flair and taz over texas tornado any day of the week hogan gets dq'ed for tossing hacksaw over the top rope lawler beats verne using his crown when the ref is distracted and pins verne for the 3 count rikishi bets khali as khali is runnig towards him and rikishi moves out of the way so khali goes over the top rope

Hmmm...

I guess I question a tournament that ranks guys like Alex Shelley, Junkyard Dog, and Mr. Kennedy over a legend and 12 time world champion in Verne Gagne.

Yeah, that's right 12 world championships compared to the ZERO that are held combined by the other three. Sure, JYD is a HOFamer and one of the more interesting gimmicks of all time. Noted, Alex Shelley has dazzled in the X-division of TNA. Granted, Mr. Kennedy has one of the most catchy catch-phrases currently in the business and is a former MITB winner...BUT WHAT THE HECK have those three done that can compare to being a 12 time world champion?

I'm sure that there are other guys ahead of Gagne in other regions that don't deserve to be there, and that is sad for me. People write him off because he was the head of his company (perhaps the 3rd biggest at the time), and thus, his title wins don't mean as much. So, I guess he was the early generation's Triple H. Regardless, the guy is a 12 time world champ, and he deserves to be ranked higher than the likes of these guys. Just sayin...

A thing people need to remember about WCW, the WCW Ring was smaller then the WWE sized ring. This is why the WCW wrestlers in 2001 and 2002 had such a hard time adapting to the WWE back then, because they didn't have adequate time to adjust in that ring. I used to know the specs for each ring, but my nerdom doesn't go that deep anymore,s o if anyone knows the actual specifics of each ring, feel free to post them in here.

So, Taker gets a bye. Doesn't really matter. Was anyone really going to vote for Kidman, or Duggan, over him? His match-up with the winner of Taz v. Lawler is only a warm-up for the Funk v. Yokozuna winner.

I'm half surprised this is the only tie so far...

Yeah, I'm going to update all of these over the next few days. The tournaments first round ends this Saturday, and then we're taking a week off for Mania and the Draft on the Monday afterwords. So there will be plenty to discuss.

However, Duggan and Kidman tying, and now the Undertaker getting a bye is dangerous. The Undertaker becomes the first man to get to round 3 in the tournament, and being the guy that won it all last year only makes it easier for him to win it again.

The next 2 rounds of action, Rounds 4 and 5, move to the Georgia Dome, in Atlanta, GA.
georgia2_dome_1.jpg

The Georgia Dome is located in the heart of WCW Country. It is a building with a capacity of well over 70,000 for wrestling. The crowd is generally good old southern boys that are fans of the NWA, not as smarky as you would find in the Northeast.

eric_bischoff-01.jpg

The host for the activities of this region is non other then Eric Bischoff. Eric Bischoff was able to come with in a wink of putting the WWE out of business, forever. Will the man that reinvented wrestling in the 90's be a gentle bystander, or will he become a more aggressive host?

Sting. Hogan. Taker. Benoit.

Wow.

This region gave us really the least excitement of all, as Sting, Hogan, and Taker all romped to 20+ vote victories over Guerrero, Smith, and Funk respectively. Chris Benoit's 8-vote win over Bill Goldberg provided our only drama in this region, but Benoit makes the regional semis with a win in the first ever "For Whom the Bell Tolls Cage Match." What an epic.

If you take home-field advantage seriously, this region is Sting's to lose. He was truly the franchise of WCW, the way Taker was in WWF/E. But the fact remains, the difference between a WCW and a WWF ring is the platform being at ring level and a little rope bounce. The major test will be the gimmicks.

Sting and Taker have the best chances with the gimmick rounds, though Benoit comes into this as the most versatile competitor. I truly hope Taker gets sent home - for the life of me I cannot understand the love affair people have for him in these tournaments.

In Hogan's kayfabe prime, few could match him or defeat him. Sting would have to be considered one of those guys. In Hogan's second prime, Sting was his #1 challenger pre-Goldberg. And in Hogan's original prime, it was Sting's less athletic counterpart The Ultimate Warrior who handed Hogan his first clean loss in the US in ages.

For my money I'll take Sting, but i'll be worried the whole way.

Hulk Hogan vs. Chris Benoit:

Are there any two men hated more for actions that occured outside of the ring then these two men? With this, on paper you have a clear cut winner in Hulk Hogan. In most matches, no one is going to vote Benoit over Hogan.

However, this is the realm of gimmicks, and this is the roudn that Hulk Hogan has bowed out each and every year so far. if this match goes into an iron Man match, I'm not sure Hogan is walking away with the win to be honest. I can't recall for the life of me a Hulk Hogan match going past the 30 minute mark, and Chris Benoit is a cardiovascular machine. He has Iron Man match experience, in both the 60 and 30 minute versions. If, and it's a big if, Benoit can get some sort of lead on hogan, I simply think that Benoit wins this match in a shocker.

If this ends up being the Triple Cage, again, advantage Benoit. I don't think it's advantage Benoit myself, but i remember last year with Hogan and Triple H, and the argument was used that Hogan can't climb a ladder. I really can't see how people's opinions on Hogan and the ability to climb could have changed in one year. I think Hogan should win, but I doubt he will in either match.

Sting vs. the Undertaker: Franchise player vs Franchise Player. Screw the homefield advantage, because it means nothing when the Undertaker is staring at you from across the ring. In all honesty, this is probably one of the five most anticpated matchups of the tournament. I think when the brackets came out, this was one most people were looking forward to.

Sting might have a slight advantage in the 60 minute match. Sting has gone the distance before, but that was very, very early in his career. The Undertaker on the other hand has had 30 minute matches at the end of his career. However, I can't remember an Undertaker match that lasted much more then 1/2 hour, so the question remains, cna the Deadman stay going, or will he run out of Gas?

Then the other match is the Triple Cage, and simply put, Undertaker in an enclosed environment of any kind is simply dangerous. If Sting can get some distance, he walks out with a win, but I can't see it happening. Either way, i think we're looking at a great match here.

As for Hogan vs. Benoit, I'm leaning towards Benoit though I have to say that I won't be surprised if Hogan goes over. If it's an Iron Man match, I think Hogan is at a definite disadvantage. While there might be others, the longest Hogan match I can recall was against the Ultimate Warrior at WMVI. It went for around 24 minutes or so, though a good portion of the match involved Hogan and Warrior testing strength, Hogan using a reverse chin lock, Warrior using a bear hug, both being "knocked" out and flat on their backs for a good 5 minutes, etc. Hogan's stamina is a legitimate question. As to a Triple Cage, granted Hogan isn't exactly a tremendous all around athlete, but the guy can climb a ladder. My uncle Doug can climb a ladder, he weighs 320 pounds and has never exercised a day in his life. It doesn't require that much skill or athletic ability. I think the match could go to either guy, possibly.

Taker vs. Sting is a great match, a dream match if you will. The respective flag bearers for their companies. In an Iron Man match, I think it could go either way. I don't believe the Undertaker's ever gone 60 minutes but, and this is particularly true over the past several years, I think he has the conditioning to do it. If it's a Triple Cage, I have to give it to the Undertaker. He thrives in these sorts of environments. Enclosed areas with limited room to move. In one on one matches, Taker doesn't seem to lose cage matches, or gimmick matches in general, without the benefit of outside interference most of the time. One of the few one on one gimmick matches I can recall him losing clean, in fact it might be the only one, was HIAC against Brock Lesnar.

Hogan v. Benoit is a match made in heaven. Yes, Hogan is miles ahead of Benoit in just about everything, but Benoit has the edge in technical skill. I'm not one to say that Hogan only knew 5 moves, but it's true that Benoit clearly knows more. In a Triple Cage, I'd have to vote for Hogan. The Triple Cage was a huge match when it happened, and was for the big-time feuds. Hogan doesn't lose these matches. Benoit would make it good, but Hogan would stand tall in the top cage, holding the briefcase. This match is simply too big for Benoit, and not big enough for Hogan. In an Iron Man match, I'd be tempted to vote Benoit. I think he'd get the first few falls, then Hogan hulks up, and gets just enough falls to pull it close, but time runs out before he can finish the job. Benoit can make him tap with more than just the Crossface, and will work on his entire body, making it too much to overcome...

Sting v. Taker is a wet dream for me, the way the SHW Triple Threat was for IC. I don't think about homefield advantage, because Deadman's entrance on that platform would be the sickest thing ever, and anyone would piss themselves. I really don't like the newer model of Sting, but the black and white is what would have to show up to beat Undertaker. In an Iron Man match, my vote goes for Sting. He'll simply outlast Deadman, and win in historic fashion. In a Triple Cage, I'm torn. Unlike the Hogan v. Benoit match, both of these men are the type that could win an epic match-up like this. But, like Shocky said, Taker in an enclosed environment is nasty. I'm sure he'd be the first to throw someone through one of the bottom two cages, and that may be enough to end it.

I think any of Taker, Hogan or Sting may get through, although at this point, due to pure in ring ability being what I appreciate, I am hoping its Taker or Benoit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back