WCW Houston, Round 3, Match 2: #7 Terry Funk vs. #23 Mitsuharu Misawa

Funk vs. Misawa

• Funker

• Misawa

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place in the WCW Region, where the ring and entrance are equal height, from Houston, TX.

#7. The Hardcore Legend Terry Funk
funk-terry14.jpg

vs.

#23. Mitsuharu Misawa
misawa2.jpg

I hate to see a dead tournament thread. I'll vote for Misawa because, while I hear and don't doubt, that Funk was brilliant before he got old, I haven't seen much to prove he hasn't always been old.

I own enough NOAH DVDs of a broken down Misawa tosay that he could take the pin.

Wait, what am I doing. I vote Funk. I'm voting against all these wrestlers who people put in the tournament buy who they're not actually intrested in talking about. I vote Funk.

Going with Misawa here. The Funker is a tough sum bitch and fought in Japan quite a bit, so this match won't be too out of the element for Funk, however Misawa is a damn fine wrestler who's taken down a who's who of people around the world. Fighting guys like Jumbo Tsuruta, Stan Hansen, Vader, and Giant Baba on a regular basis will get you ready for ANYONE.

Misawa should get the win.

I'm voting for Misawa as well. Terry Funk was a damn fine wrestler back in the 70s and 80s, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for him for being able to have a "second prime" as a hardcore wrestler (although he always was quite brutal and savage). But, here, he goes up against someone I consider to be the greatest Japanese wrestler ever. And, not only has Misawa hung with the toughest (Jumbo Tsuruta, Toshiaki Kawada, Kenta Kobashi, Vader, and Stan Hansen), but he has beaten all of them in their primes as well.

A definite 5 star classic with Misawa eking out the win like he almost always does.

I think this match could go either way. I'm going with Funk because I think he could really win the match, though I'll admit that my vote is also at least a little bit nostalgic. Funk went up against and beat the best in his day and has a slew of championships and accomplishments from territories and promotions across the world to prove it.

Even though Funk has always been pretty hardcore over the course of his career, it's a testament to his talent and his legitimate toughness that he was able to enter the modern day hardcore environments, stay relevant, and put on matches that were entertaining to watch. It's even more impressive to me since Funk entered this phase of his career when he was well past his prime and, from a medical standpoint, probably should have stayed out of it. Now, granted, this isn't a hardcore match, but I guess my point is that Funk has proven over the course of his career that he can compete with anybody and in any type of environment. While I won't be miffed if Misawa goes on to the next round, it's a mistake to simply write a legend like Funk off.

It pains me, but I'm voting Misawa. Do I think he could actually win? No. But, I do think that Funk will eventually go nuts, and start whipping him with a spool of barbwire. as long as this stays a wrestling match, Funk has a chance. I just don't think it will for more than 20 minutes.

I'm as big of a fan of Misawa as the anyone on this board, but the guy is no Terry Funk.

Terry Funk is, without a doubt in my mind, one of the greatest professional wrestlers of all time. I'll elaborate further when he's against tougher competition, but for now... I'll keep it at this: Mitsuharu Misawa is one of the greatest pro wrestlers in Japanese history, while the Funker is one of the greatest pro wrestlers in pro wrestling period. He's as big of a legend in Japan as he is in the states, and many other places around the World. There's no one, and I mean NO ONE, who has ever been like that man, and there never will be.

For me it is quite a simple case here. Misawa is a huge name in the market in the country he is from, Funk is a huge name in all world markets. In Japan, this match would be close, largely because Misawa is such a legend there, but I still see Funk going over.

In the US, and especially Texas, I have to say that Funk is going to get the win here, after quite a lengthy one. It'd be a great match to see NWA Champion era Funk taking on Misawa at the height of his pomp, but I see this as being the end of the road for this Japanese guy, leaving only Muta and Liger representing the Japanese in the next round.

Its Terry FUCKING Funk.

He's been in the States, he's been in Japan. He's fueded with everyone from Flair to Foley and beaten both. He's brutal, he has some of the stiffest punches in the business (once informing Mick that his style of punch was to just punch the other stiffly in the forehead!), and he's... well, fuck. How else do you say it. He's just Terry FUCKING Funk.

I'm not going to deny Misawa was good, but Terry Funk was a damn lunatic in his times. I dont know if he was really crazy or it was just part of his character, but there was definitely a loose screw in his head.

Any ways Like already mentioned, Funk was popular wherever he went, while Misawa was only popular in Japan, which may work against him in this match seeing as how he is in the states.

But for now my vote is on Funk, but Misawa will give him one hell of a match.

All right, if people want to vote for Funk, that's cool. But, please stop with this BS about how much more of a legend Funk was in comparison to Misawa. For a gaijin, Funk was an incredible drawer in Japan, and he did all right for himself here in the States. But, the evidence would show that what Misawa did in Japan trumps both what Funk did there and in the States.

It's not as if Misawa was the anchor of a rinky-dink company all throughout the 90s. Instead, he was All Japan's premier guy during this time, and I can guarantee you that he was pulling down better numbers than WCW pulled down in the early 90s and the WWF pulled down in the mid-1990s.

I would seriously like someone to come in here and try to argue that Funk's toughness isn't predicated on the blatant use of foreign objects. In contrast, Misawa is known for taking insane amounts of punishment from men who use nothing more than what God gave them to fight with.

All right, if people want to vote for Funk, that's cool. But, please stop with this BS about how much more of a legend Funk was in comparison to Misawa. For a gaijin, Funk was an incredible drawer in Japan, and he did all right for himself here in the States. But, the evidence would show that what Misawa did in Japan trumps both what Funk did there and in the States.

What Misawa did in Japan does trump What Funk did in Japan, but it does not trump what funk did here in the States. Misawa would not have been the same draw here in the States as he was in Japan, why? Well because we are talking about 2 completely different countries, and he wasn't known very good here in the States. So therefore whatever Misawa could have done here in the States, Funk would have trumped that because he is known far more in the states than Misawa.

It's not as if Misawa was the anchor of a rinky-dink company all throughout the 90s. Instead, he was All Japan's premier guy during this time, and I can guarantee you that he was pulling down better numbers than WCW pulled down in the early 90s and the WWF pulled down in the mid-1990s.

I'm not going to argue against the fact that he was pulling down better numbers. But remember that this match is held in the US not Japan. In Japan, wrestling is treated as a serious athletic sport, while in the US it is more about the storylines and drama. So again just because he drew in Japan, doesn't mean that the same outcome would happen in the US.

I would seriously like someone to come in here and try to argue that Funk's toughness isn't predicated on the blatant use of foreign objects. In contrast, Misawa is known for taking insane amounts of punishment from men who use nothing more than what God gave them to fight with.

Ok, Funk is also known for taking in incredible amount of punishment, especially at an older age. And the punishment he was receiving wasn't from what God gave the man that was dishing it out, it was from foreign objects. He was getting getting abused with thumbtacks,ladders,chairs,tables,Barbwire and many other things. And was involved in one of the most bloodiest matches ever in the History of ECW with Sabu, The Barbed Wire match. Paul Heyman called this match Disturbing and I have to agree with him, now i usually really dislike Hardcore matches like this but some friends told me to watch it a couple of years ago on youtube and I did and i was disturbed and amazed at how a man the age of Terry Funk could put himself through that.

What Misawa did in Japan does trump What Funk did in Japan, but it does not trump what funk did here in the States. Misawa would not have been the same draw here in the States as he was in Japan, why? Well because we are talking about 2 completely different countries, and he wasn't known very good here in the States. So therefore whatever Misawa could have done here in the States, Funk would have trumped that because he is known far more in the states than Misawa.

I think you completely misunderstood what I said. I'm saying Misawa drew more than Funk in his entire career, period (e.g., in the simplest terms possible, if it was possible to show how much of a draw one person was in monetary terms, the sum of Funk's drawings in the US and Japan would be less than Misawa's drawings in Japan). I have no doubt that Misawa would draw peanuts here in the States. But, this has no bearing whatsoever on what he did in Japan.

I'm not going to argue against the fact that he was pulling down better numbers. But remember that this match is held in the US not Japan. In Japan, wrestling is treated as a serious athletic sport, while in the US it is more about the storylines and drama. So again just because he drew in Japan, doesn't mean that the same outcome would happen in the US.

How is that at all relevant to who would win? The only way such an argument would work is if it could be proven that a more entertainment-based style of wrestling would be to Misawa's disadvantage. And, although professional wrestling is treated like a sport in Japan, this doesn't mean that it doesn't have any storylines. Hell, Misawa was part of what is arguably the greatest storyline/feud in professional wrestling history. I definitely suggest that you take a look at this article on the Misawa/Kawada feud if you get the chance:

The Misawa vs. Kawada Feud

Ok, Funk is also known for taking in incredible amount of punishment, especially at an older age. And the punishment he was receiving wasn't from what God gave the man that was dishing it out, it was from foreign objects. He was getting getting abused with thumbtacks,ladders,chairs,tables,Barbwire and many other things. And was involved in one of the most bloodiest matches ever in the History of ECW with Sabu, The Barbed Wire match. Paul Heyman called this match Disturbing and I have to agree with him, now i usually really dislike Hardcore matches like this but some friends told me to watch it a couple of years ago on youtube and I did and i was disturbed and amazed at how a man the age of Terry Funk could put himself through that.

And, this would definitely be to Funk's advantage if the match was in ECW.

How is that at all relevant to who would win? The only way such an argument would work is if it could be proven that a more entertainment-based style of wrestling would be to Misawa's disadvantage. And, although professional wrestling is treated like a sport in Japan, this doesn't mean that it doesn't have any storylines. Hell, Misawa was part of what is arguably the greatest storyline/feud in professional wrestling history. I definitely suggest that you take a look at this article on the Misawa/Kawada feud if you get the chance:

The Misawa vs. Kawada Feud

I didn't say that they didn't have storylines. Over there In Japan wrestling is not much about the Storylines is more about having an athletic match. It doesn't mean they wont have storylines it just means that they focus more on the athleticism of the match that is happening, were as in comparison it is for the most part the complete opposite in the states. I think that if Misawa were to wrestle differently and wrestle the way they do here in America then Funk would have him beat, because in America storytelling is more common than having an athletic match were the match is only about the moves the performers can do.

BTW, when i do get the time you bet i will be taking a look at that feud.

And, this would definitely be to Funk's advantage if the match was in ECW.

I said that to point out the fact that Funk could take in punishment just as well as Misawa. So if Misawa wants to punish Funk, then Funk would be able to hang in there just like he was able to do with Sabu in the Barbed Wire match, which could have been a more brutal punishment than any punishment Misawa has recieved.

I didn't say that they didn't have storylines. Over there In Japan wrestling is not much about the Storylines is more about having an athletic match. It doesn't mean they wont have storylines it just means that they focus more on the athleticism of the match that is happening, were as in comparison it is for the most part the complete opposite in the states. I think that if Misawa were to wrestle differently and wrestle the way they do here in America then Funk would have him beat, because in America storytelling is more common than having an athletic match were the match is only about the moves the performers can do.

BTW, when i do get the time you bet i will be taking a look at that feud.

Storytelling is something totally different from storylines. A major part of being able to tell a story is being able to convey to the audience exactly what your character's all about. Based off of this, I would argue that Misawa is one of the greatest storytellers ever. Post-Tiger Mask, Misawa's whole stay in AJPW was about proving that he could hang with the best despite his modest looks. And, this is exactly what he did every time he stepped in the ring. Most of his most notable feuds involve him going against big men that he should have had no business beating. But, he beats them, and when he does, it is nowhere near as incredible as we originally thought it would be.

I said that to point out the fact that Funk could take in punishment just as well as Misawa. So if Misawa wants to punish Funk, then Funk would be able to hang in there just like he was able to do with Sabu in the Barbed Wire match, which could have been a more brutal punishment than any punishment Misawa has recieved.

I would much rather be hit with barbed-wire on my torso than have the upper portion of my spine driven into the mat.

You know, I think a 55 year old Terry Funk could knock alot guys out of this tournament. But in this tournament, we are looking at a Terry Funk in his prime. That's a shame for Misawa. I know he's a legend in Japan, but Terry Funk was just dominant where ever he wrestled. He was the NWA before Ric Flair was established. He has success in the WWF. He made the rounds as a legend on the Independent curcuit until he landed in ECW in the mid '90's. He owned that company.

Funk has to advance.

You know, I think a 55 year old Terry Funk could knock alot guys out of this tournament. But in this tournament, we are looking at a Terry Funk in his prime. That's a shame for Misawa.

The only time Misawa couldn't beat Funk in his prime is in the state Misawa is in now. In their primes, Misawa takes out Funk. Not easily, but he takes him out nonetheless.

I know he's a legend in Japan, but Terry Funk was just dominant where ever he wrestled.

Even the sum total of Funk's accomplishments can't equal what Misawa did in All Japan.

He was the NWA before Ric Flair was established.

Yeah, he did have the NWA Championship for about 14 months, I can't deny that.

He has success in the WWF.

He had two forgettable Wrestlemania appearances and an appearance at One Night Stand '06 where he was knocked out of commission about halfway into the match. I give him credit for coming back out, but then he just caught in barbwire with Mick Foley only a short time after he re-entered the ring.

He made the rounds as a legend on the Independent curcuit until he landed in ECW in the mid '90's. He owned that company.

Yes, he did do great in that company. But, the Terry Funk that you mention here couldn't hold a candle to Misawa.

Funk has to advance.

There are actually no compelling arguments why Funk should advance here, as far as I have seen. I have no problem with him advancing, as I think he's a great wrestler. But, Misawa trumps him in just about every way imaginable.

I haven't really heard of a good reason to vote for Misawa. All I've heard is the same old thing about Misawa that I've heard about every other Japanese wrestler: Namely that he's a god in Japanese wrestling circles. While I don't doubt the validity of that one bit, so what? I'm not basing my decision on who I think is the bigger legend and who isn't. I look at Funk and see someone that's proven able to adapt to any sort of wrestling environment and thrive.

As I said in an earlier post, while this isn't a hardcore environment, Funk's journey into that wrestling niche during a time when he was long past his prime, the success he attained in it and the fact that he's managed to stay relevant in pro wrestling by reinventing himself shows me ultimately what he's capable of.

I haven't really heard of a good reason to vote for Misawa. All I've heard is the same old thing about Misawa that I've heard about every other Japanese wrestler: Namely that he's a god in Japanese wrestling circles. While I don't doubt the validity of that one bit, so what? I'm not basing my decision on who I think is the bigger legend and who isn't. I look at Funk and see someone that's proven able to adapt to any sort of wrestling environment and thrive.

As I said in an earlier post, while this isn't a hardcore environment, Funk's journey into that wrestling niche during a time when he was long past his prime, the success he attained in it and the fact that he's managed to stay relevant in pro wrestling by reinventing himself shows me ultimately what he's capable of.

There have been plenty of reasons that have been given as to why Misawa's great. The only thing that's the "same old thing" is the nonsense that keeps on coming out of your mouth. I take the time to read the posts that you make, so why don't take the time to read what others have posted? Obviously, you yourself know little about Misawa, so why are you even in this thread in the first place? I'll give you some matches here though, to show you why people call Misawa a legend. But, judging by the bold (but baseless) claims you keep on making, I know you probably won't watch them:

Here's his match with Jumbo Tsuruta on 8 June 1990, the one that planted the seeds for the blossoming that would come shortly after:

[youtube]jMpHibYk4f8[/youtube]

[youtube]tdFIEcjSfao[/youtube]

[youtube]o9hVx1Mzr2c[/youtube]​

Here's his match with Toshiaki Kawada for the Triple Crown on 3 June 1994, the one which many professional wrestling journalists consider to be the greatest match of all time:

[youtube]SUnIS83oIyQ[/youtube]

[youtube]QSKr6sZw-yg[/youtube]

[youtube]ebrZMYqXVKI[/youtube]

[youtube]-VV5KZZIM1g[/youtube]​

And, here's his match with Kenta Kobashi for the Triple Crown on 31 October 1998, where Misawa wins the Triple Crown for the fourth time:

[youtube]DKCXYJyGDuw[/youtube]

[youtube]_u4Yw6Deun0[/youtube]

[youtube]6Ld7CKnbcF4[/youtube]

[youtube]g-xvrQ-KIpU[/youtube]

[youtube]z0MhBOQTJ8w[/youtube]​

I look forward to more of your "blah, blah, blah" comments :thumbsup:.

Those of you that know me, know my unabashed and sometimes strangely homoerotic love for Terry motherfucking Funk (as far as I'm concerned, that IS his middle name). So of COURSE I went with my main man, the Funker!

Misawa is a tough opponent though. I figured the results would be a toss up here, but I was quite surprised to see the lack of Puro love here on the forums. (Now that I think about it, these forums are extremely WWE-centric) Misawa is definately a great talent though. But he doesn't stand a chance. Because he's facing Terry motherfucking Funk.

Funk could do it all. You wanted technical wrestling? Got it. Tag team wrestling? Done. Amazing promos? Gotcha. Hardcore wrestling? Of course. Hell, the Funker even threw around Hurricanrana's like he was a luchador left and right!

Funk, all the way, all day.

Dude, X, I gotta bring you up to speed on the tournament. You've been gone a while.

Japanese wrestling is getting, BY FAR, the most love in this tournament. Jushin Liger just went over Shawn Michaels in the San Antonio sub-region.

But the fact is, Funk has earned a load of respect, and I am willing to bet you're a big reason why. Funk is a damn legend, and I don't think the final voting score reflects how epic and solid of a match these two would have.

Reactions: X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back