WCW: Houston Sub-Regional

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
Come in here to discuss the Houston Sub-Regional of the WCW Bracket, headlined by the Undertaker.

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: Houston, TX
2. The Undertaker
63. The Great Khali

31. "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan
34. Billy Kidman

15. Jerry "The King" Lawler
50. "Heavy Metal" Van Hammer

18. "The Human Suplex Machine" Taz
47. Rikishi Phatu

7. "The Hardcore Legend" Terry Funk
58. Danny Hodge

26. Alex Shelley
39. D-Von Dudley

10. Yokozuna
55. Earthquake

23. Mitsuharu Misawa
42. "The Tennessee Cowboy" James Storm

Round 2 Matches:
Houston, TX

2. The Undertaker
Bye

15. Jerry Lawler
18. Taz

7. Terry Funk
26. Alex Shelley

10. Yokozuna
23. Mitsuharu Misawa

Round 3.
Houston, TX

2. The Undertaker
18. Taz

7. Terry Funk
23. Mitsuharu Misawa

Taker. Taker all the way. He's beaten Yoko more than once and would beat him again. Funk could not have a worse draw here. His finishing move is a Spinning Toe Hold. Taker has never lost a match by submission, and there's no way FUnk gets the hold on Yoko. It comes down to a battle of the big men, and without an army to help him, Yoko isn't going to beat the Deadman. Should be a walk, but too early with so few people left out still.

Two Texas boys going to be taking different routes here. If Terry Funk can make it to the semis here, he has done well. He will lose to Youko, and he will be destroyed by the Deadman. We have seen Taker and the big man go at it time and time before in the old days of WWE, and who won each time? The Zombie, the Phenom, The Undertaker.

The obvious answer here is The Undertaker, but I'm not so sure. If Terry Funk makes it past Yokozuna, and also past the unrevelaed people, then everything rests on the gimmick match.

If it is some sort of hardcoreor falls count anywhere match, Funk is the master, and it would certainly be a tough one for the deadman. Especially considering his homefield advantage is lost to some extent due to Funk's roots.

The real question is can Undertaker loose here? Funk cant do much without weapons and once Yoko gets tired Taker will just tombstone him. Taker as the speed and power to just beat both to the ground here. Yoko doesn't really have a chance but he can certainly cause a big upset if somethign does happen.

Yeah, Undertaker is the best in the bracket, hands down. While he may have to get through Yoko in finals, I'm not too sure about Funk. I have nothing against Funk, but against either of the two and without a heavy gimmick, I'd have to say he is a massive underdog. I still am not sure if the votes would put him through the first two rounds to even get to Yoko. I don't know, but we will see.

Yokozuna on the other hand, has a great shot to go far here. Sure, Taker will likely win the bracket, and I have no problem with that. He deserves to win. However, I wouldn't put it past Yokozuna to pull off an upset. It depends on the rest of the field, and as stated, the gimmick match.

The Undertaker seems to be the favorite but Yokozuna could be his only problem. Taker can't give him a Last Ride or a Tombstone so that's when Hell's Gate comes in handy. I may take Yokozuna in this region but it depends on how Taker and Yokozuna gets to the finals if that happens.

Even though they both technically get the home town advantage, I think being in Texas is a bigger boost for Funk than than Taker, not that Taker really needs it anyway. But the home town advantage could help Funk in some tough situations that he otherwise might not manage to get out of. However, I do not think that he could beat either Taker OR Yoko. However, Taker vs. Zouna is a toss up, and I think I would need to wait and see who they were facing beforehand on order to predict a winner. I DO however give the the slight edge to Taker.

Yokozuna isn't in WWE, the land of giants here. He'll get past a number of smaller competitors, but won't win over anyone with some true wrestling talent. If it comes down to Yoko v. Funk, he wins, but only because of his size. If he gets to the gimmick matches, he's done in Round 5. He IS NOT winning a Triple Tiered Cage match, and surely wouldn't last for 60 minutes.

Terry Funk will sadly get booted early, possibly in the first two rounds, because not enough people know his real wrestling abilities. It was so good, that watching his hardcore stuff saddens me, because I know what he used to do. It's a given that he wouldn't beat Yokozuna in a match, but he may have the fan base to move on past him. He has the same trouble as Yoko however, that he won't get past the gimmick rounds. Good thing he won't have to worry about it with the Phenom in this bracket.

Undertaker in a cakewalk, and I almost don't care who else shows up. He can easily beat either of the other two, and would do well in almost any gimmick match that he draws. If this bracket continues to get filled with much weaker opponents, Undertaker may just fly through to the final rounds, and who knows what could happen there.

Funk won't get passed the big Samoan in this region. From Texas maybe, but Yoko's a big dude and will take a lot of beating.

Taker has the tools he needs to take him. He's big enough to inflict damage, fast enough to get out of the way and a few vicious submission moves that he can hit to negate Yoko's weight advantage. He'll walk the region but the last match would be a good one

Tdig and IrishCanadian schooled me a bit earlier about Terry Funk. I knew nothing of how good a wrestler he was. I've since watched a few matches of his and I am impressed. Unfortunately, I still say that he doesn't have a chance to beat Yokozuna or The Undertaker. With Yokozuna, he's just too little to inflict any damage, unless there is a weapon involved. Taker is just as good a wrestler as Funk and he's stronger, bigger, and can take the same beating. Funk was unlucky, being placed here.

Damn, another one of my favourites in Funk is in trouble here. Funk has definitely been underrated in this thread, he's one tough guy who's took much worse beatings than either of these two men and prevailed. He was also a former NWA champion for well over a year, and he was no weak guy either, he was pretty strong back in his heyday. He's also been in quite a few hour draw matches, something neither of these men have ever done, and something Yokozuna wouldn't be capable of. He'd also have the hometown advantage (along with Taker), having resided in Texas for the large majority of his career.

Terry Funk is one tough son of a bitch, but he's no match for the size and power of Yokozuna. This isn't an anything goes brawl fest either, so Funk's offense will have little to no effect on the former Sumo Superstar.

The Undertaker has the ability to match power with power, and has an advantage with his ability to regenerate his strength throughout his matches. But I do believe Yokozuna can still defeat him on any given day.

There could still be a wildcard to enter, but as it stands, my guess is the Undertaker will take it due to popularity, or maybe Yokozuna will squeeze out a victory.

Yoko may be 600 pounds and a former WWF champion, but he's got nothing on the Undertaker in terms of wrestling ability. Taker would finish him. However that leads to Funk vs. Taker. Funk is one hell of a brawler and with weapons he's a killing machine but without he's basically a texan wrestler who can brawl. Undertaker wins with the Tombstone on Funk.

Lawler is in over his head here. He'll probably have a cakewalk before the match against the Deadman, but it's the end of the line there. He has an effective Piledriver, but there's no way he gets Undertaker up and lands it, not effectively at least. He doesn't want to brawl with him either, as we all know Taker is a great striker, no matter what they book Big Show to do to him.

If a miracle happened, and he upset 'Taker, he'd have some interesting matches to look forward to. A match with Yokozuna would end painfully. But, a match with the Funkster would be a classic match, especially in a WCW Arena. I wouldn't want to predict a winner, and won't have to. It won't happen.

'Taker still takes this, but it's starting to get slightly competitive.

Wow. This bracket has a little bit of everything. Technical wrestling, brawling, size, strength, power. I feel sorry for any high-flier that steps in the ring here.

Tazz is under-rated in the ring, and doesn't get a whole lot of love from the forum, so I can see him getting bounced as early as Lawler, if he makes it to the second round. A match with him would be interesting, as long as people don't vote for their favorite announcer. He's got a great submission finisher, and like the name says, knows a ton of different suplexes. He's small, but he's not to be overlooked. If he gets on a roll, he should at least get to Undertaker, but not even I can find a way for him to win there. If he steals his way to Yokozuna, he'll be squashed anyway. Literally.

Wasn't Undertaker vs Yokozuna a match that took place last year in the WZ Tournament? I swear we've had that match before and Undertaker won that match to my knowledge.

Lawler and Tazz just aren't good enough when it comes to Undertaker and Yoko. Terry Funk would have a chance if this was an ECW match, but it's not. Weapons were a huge part of his arsenal, so this just limits him greatly.

As KB mentioned, the Deadman has beat Yokozuna before, so why wouldn't he be able to do it again, even in a WCW arena? Taker wouldn't have the size or strength advantage but he has the hometown advantage as well as being faster than the big guy. Undertaker progresses to the next round.

I can see Tazz advancing a couple of rounds before he gets to Taker or Yokozuna but he would probably get eliminated in the first round as well Lawler. Tazz was very good in the ring and it would be an interesting matchup against Funk but it looks like Taker/Yokozuna will happen.

A perfectly laid out upper half for the Undertaker at this point. His three potential opponents are a career mid carder, a guy that only did well in his territory, and anotehr guy that only did well in his territory. Lawler in his prime wasn't in Taker's league, and there is no way in hell Taz can choke the Undertaker out without getting himself knocked out.

The bottom half is interesting. Anything other then a Terry Funk vs. Yokozuna showdown will be shockign too me. Is the Funker better then Yokozuna, certainly, can Funk beat Yoko, I'm not sure. Either way, the Undertaker is certainly the favorite to win this.

Terry Funk would have a chance if this was an ECW match, but it's not. Weapons were a huge part of his arsenal, so this just limits him greatly.

Do all of us a favor, and watch something from Funk pre-1990. Weapons were never a part of his "arsenal". He was a great wrestler, and is getting in to the WWE Hall of Fame for a reason. He should be a favorite to win this bracket, but won't, based on pre-conceived notions of him, and the fact he'd have to beat a 600 lb. fat guy.

Alex Shelley got the worst possible draw. I'm a huge fan. In a TNA ring, he'd take Funk, but this isn't TNA. He's done in the second round. Even if his current status pushes him past Funk, there's not a shot in hell of him beating Yokozuna.

Misawa who? It won't matter. The only man beating Yokozuna in this bracket, is The Undertaker. Nothing anyone can tell me will change my mind, unless they come up with footage of Misawa power-slamming a 600 pound sumo wrestler.

Duggan is a fan favorite, but that doesn't change the fact he's a brawler. He'd be upset in a bad first round match-up, and will lose by a huge margin to 'Taker. At least he gets a pat on the back for showing up.

So does Taker really get the hometown advantage? I keep hearing people say he does, but if the tournament is kayfabe he shouldn't really have a hometown adavantage. Somebody clear that up for me, I'm confused.

Barring anyone huge coming in here, this is about as simple as you can get. There's nothing here to stop Yoko vs. Taker from going down. Not a thing. Who in there could stop either of those guys? No one at all that I'm seeing. Funk can't do much against Yoko, Taz, even in his ECW form couldn't beat Taker. It's those two on a crash course.

Is there really any one that can beat Taker I even doubt that Yoko is gonna beat him. Terry will make it to the semi but UT will win this sub region. It could be in his form now are 10 years ago none of these wrestlers have the same level of talent Undertaker has and he may just win the whole WCW region if Sting those not go far.

In the WWE, Undertaker v. Khali would be booked as a tough match. In reality, we all know Undertaker is advancing, and won't have any issues in doing so. As KB said, this is a crash course leading to 'Taker v. Yoko to determine the bracket winner. There's a reason Khali is #255 overall.

Billy Kidman is a guy I liked watching in the ring, and might have had a chance at winning more than one match in any other bracket. But, he landed at the top half of this one, which means Undertaker is going to kill him.

He's got enough offense, and is quick enough to get past Duggan. Duggan is a great old-school brawler, but I don't think it'll be enough. Kidman should advance, and it won't be pretty against the Deadman.

Rikishi could be a bad match-up for Tazz, because Tazz can't perform any suplexes on him. If he can use the speed advantage (yea, you heard right), he can outlast Rikishi until he locks on his signature submission and ends the match.

Basically, Undertaker won't even have a bump in the road until Tazz, and that won't be too tough to pass.

18. "The Human Suplex Machine" Taz
47. Rikishi Phatu

This is the match of this bracket, easily. I put Rikishi in my list as Fatu, and as such that's how I'll be voting for him. It's a Headshrinker vs. Tazz and that's a match I'd love to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back