Sam, Coco, Barbosa, NorCal, and J-Glass discuss esoteric shows

The thing I loved most about the stand-alone episodes from the first season are the criminals. They weren't generic, psychotic convicts. They all had a grasp on how the system works, never took it personal, etc. And no, it's not the best show, but I'm enjoying it.

That part of it was quite enjoyable I must admit. I dunno if its the right phrase, but it almost seemed like an old-school throwback to villains and police knowing who their counterpart was rather than 'cop A chases/shoots villain A'.
That reminds me, I must watch Heat again.

Well just finished watching season two of The Wire. Didn't like it as much as the first one probably because two thirds of the family they mostly focused on were pretty unlikable. Doesn't matter though, first episode of season 3 is great so far.

Well just finished watching season two of The Wire. Didn't like it as much as the first one probably because two thirds of the family they mostly focused on were pretty unlikable. Doesn't matter though, first episode of season 3 is great so far.

Season 2 is better on a 2nd viewing. I feel the same way about the first two seasons of The Sopranos.

Anyway, this last summer I watched the first season of Dollhouse and Carnivale. After finishing them, I started checking out other stuff so by the time I got both 2nd seasons on DVD not long after that, they went on the shelf and were put on hold.

I figured now during Christmas it was a good opportunity to run through them both and I just finished Dollhouse yesterday. Awesome show, but the last two episodes were awful. You can tell the writers hands were forced and they had to rush it all to for everything to be resolved by the end. The major 'twist' fucking sucked and made no sense because of that.

All that said, it's a very enjoyable show and there are some episodes that are simply terrific. A show like this deserved a better ending.

And I'm 3 episodes into Carnivale's 2nd (and final) season... good stuff so far. Carnivale gets ranked up there as being as great as the other HBO 'masterpieces' by those who've seen it; however, I doubt I'll ever go that far in its praise. The acting is as good as any show there's ever been, but as far as storytelling and overall entertainment quality, it's very, very good but still can't compare to The Wire, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, etc.

I'm watching this show called Monday Night Raw - maybe you've heard of it - and I'm really enjoying this Santa Claus storyline. This is the most fun I've had with wrestling all year.

Is Dexter worth my time? I watched the first season when it was on but i haven't heard the best of things. What seasons are suggested and why?

Is Dexter worth my time? I watched the first season when it was on but i haven't heard the best of things. What seasons are suggested and why?

I enjoyed watching it through the first time and I recently re-watched the 3rd 4th and 5th seasons, although I watched them in the order of 4, 5, 3.

The 1st and 4th seasons are easily the strongest as long as you avoid all spoilers for the 4th season onwards. John Lithgow appears as the Trinity Killer in the 4th and is, to my mind, the best villain of the show so far.

5 is hit or miss. I enjoyed it but can understand why some would hate it. It does have the best Vince moment though so thats maybe why its higher on my list.
6 I need to watch again but when I saw it the first time I thought it was pretty good and didn't see the twist coming.

2 and 3 are probably the weakest seasons but still contain some good moments here and there.

Reactions: .
I enjoyed watching it through the first time and I recently re-watched the 3rd 4th and 5th seasons, although I watched them in the order of 4, 5, 3.

The 1st and 4th seasons are easily the strongest as long as you avoid all spoilers for the 4th season onwards. John Lithgow appears as the Trinity Killer in the 4th and is, to my mind, the best villain of the show so far.

5 is hit or miss. I enjoyed it but can understand why some would hate it. It does have the best Vince moment though so thats maybe why its higher on my list.
6 I need to watch again but when I saw it the first time I thought it was pretty good and didn't see the twist coming.

2 and 3 are probably the weakest seasons but still contain some good moments here and there.

I heard a lot of good things about Lithgow alright along with Keith Carradine. What's Keith Carradine like on it?

Wow... I've never seen someone call season 2 of Dexter "weak." Pretty much everyone considers seasons 1, 2, and 4 the best in the series BY FAR, and I'm definitely with that crowd.

Anyways....

Carnivale gets ranked up there as being as great as the other HBO 'masterpieces' by those who've seen it; however, I doubt I'll ever go that far in its praise.

I think I might have to take this back. Carnivale ended up being pretty fucking brilliant by the end.

Reflecting back on season 1, I think my problem with it was that it reached its peak with the mind-blowing episodes Babylon and Pick Your Number, which if you ever watch will perhaps end up being the creepiest two hours of television you'll ever sit through. It's hard to get back into the main story after those two episodes (which were basically stand-alone episodes). The ending to Pick Your Number simply leaves you breathless.

However, season 2 really picks up the pace with the Ben/Brother Justin storyline and it's riveting all the way through. The conclusion is satisfying, but it definitely leaves you wanting a whole lot more, especially after you read the writers plans for season 3-4.

But yeah... definitely recommended by yours truly. Not since I was a kid has anything ever gave me the creeps like this show did at times. Just awesome stuff all around. If it got its full 6 seasons like the creator planned out for, there's no doubt it would have gone down as one of the GOATs, which is why I have to take back my statement from before. This show and its fans were robbed. Imagine if Game of Thrones ended after season 2... that's Carnivale right there in a heartbeat.

Now, I'm off to finally finish off one of Norcal's favorite, Rome, another one I've put off for no reason other than being a ******. After that I will finally invest in a new show... either Deadwood, Brotherhood, Lost, or Battlestar Galactica.

Lost is fantastic, but then retroactively becomes shit once it finishes. BSG was good for about a season, then became mind numbing drivel with no plot and nothing happening until the weak conclusion. I haven't seen the other two; watch the other two. Alternately you could do what I do (this isn't actually true), which is watch The West Wing and Six Feet Under on a constant loop. If they ever start to get boring then you're probably watching too much TV.

On an unrelated note that is simultaneously totally related, Dexter is neo-conservative hogwash ejaculating over the idea of capital punishment and the monologues sound like the poetry of a fifteen year old boy who's just discovered cutting (this is actually true). Unimpressive.

Wow... I've never seen someone call season 2 of Dexter "weak." Pretty much everyone considers seasons 1, 2, and 4 the best in the series BY FAR, and I'm definitely with that crowd.

Anyways....

Maybe the weak insinuation was a bit much, but given that...
Doakes gets blown tae fuck by that bitch
and
Dex cheats on Rita with that bitch
I just don't have the fondest memories of the season. It's not that I hate the season or anything, as I said it does have its moments but I never considered it one of the best. Might need to watch it again to see how I feel the second time around.

But yeh, Deadwood is a gem. What was strange for me was watching Dexter after seeing Deadwood as I had Keith Carradine as Wild Bill in my head rather than Lundy. Bit of a mindfuck.

The Tudors grows to get better. About 16 episodes in, but still.

JMT, you shall not be disappointed, and im excited to have another person to talk to about it. So well done, moves at such a sweeping, break-neck pace, just....so, so fucking good.

On an unrelated note that is simultaneously totally related, Dexter is neo-conservative hogwash ejaculating over the idea of capital punishment and the monologues sound like the poetry of a fifteen year old boy who's just discovered cutting (this is actually true). Unimpressive.
a) True.

b) Stealing this line.

All the romances that Dexter has apart from the one with Rita drags the show down. Also, season 7 is great too. Right up there with 1,2 and 4.

Finished the first season of Rome today. The show is every bit as awesome as it's hyped up to be.

Also, I fucking love Pullo. Ray Stevenson is such an incredible actor.

You told me after I'd seen Blood and Sand (the ending of which is given away in the first five minutes of Gods of the Arena). Poor Batiatus, guy just can't catch a break.

Just finished the third season of The Wire, I liked it much better than the second. I honestly don't even know where they go from here but I can't wait to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back