Sam, Coco, Barbosa, NorCal, and J-Glass discuss esoteric shows

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
Since we have so many game of thrones / spartacus / Deadwood / What have you conversations spread among so many threads.

Im giving The Tudors another try. Only got through four episodes the first time. Lots of tits and talking, not much else.

I have all of the DVDs sitting right there. On the other hand, I'm also sitting on seasons two through five of Angel.

Is Angel not esoteric enough for this thread?

I have all of the DVDs sitting right there. On the other hand, I'm also sitting on seasons two through five of Angel.

Suppose. I generally dont do TV shows from network or cable, just because they can only take things so far, and not realize their true creative visions.

I remember The Tudors having all the hot dickings of Spartacus, some of the violence, and none of the charm.

Coco, you chump, watch Firefly and then Serenity.

Do you consider The Newsroom an esoteric show? I feel like anybody that leans too strongly to either side of the political spectrum probably hates it. It preaches middle-of-the-road politics, yet very obviously pisses on modern Republicans at the same time. Yet it's not always fair to the left either. I feel like I really enjoy it, because I'm of the annoying elitist mindset. Also because I'm very interested in journalism, and it's kind of the elitist media's wet dream of a tv show.

Also, I am neither Sam, JGlass, Coco, Barbosa or NorCal so I apologize.

And NOBODY else is allowed in here! Even to read!

I'm very much looking forward to March for the GoT return. In the mean time I have a lot of catching up to do on my other Esoteric shows.

And Killam, I think The Newsroom probably is a very esoteric show, but probably not keeping with the theme of this thread. If someone doesn't get shot/stabbed/sliced up/murdered, we don't wanna hear about it!

How did you like the first season? Better or worse than the first season of Buffy?

Coco, you chump, watch Firefly and then Serenity.
I... have. I thought you knew.

Do you consider The Newsroom an esoteric show? I feel like anybody that leans too strongly to either side of the political spectrum probably hates it. It preaches middle-of-the-road politics, yet very obviously pisses on modern Republicans at the same time. Yet it's not always fair to the left either. I feel like I really enjoy it, because I'm of the annoying elitist mindset. Also because I'm very interested in journalism, and it's kind of the elitist media's wet dream of a tv show.
I loathed The Newsroom. Nothing to do with my politics. More to do with how much of their reporting hinged on them having access to things nobody in the actual media had access to. If you want to write a didactic piece about the media's failings, responsibilities, and possibilities, that's fine. That's a show I'd really enjoy watching. But the number of times they got a leg up on the circumstances real world reporters had work within because somebody's college room-mate was close to insiders at BP started to piss me off after a while. After a while, he needs to stop taking the easy way out with the plot if he's going to keep getting on his soapbox.

Also, West Wing fans tell me to give him a chance, but I'm convinced Sorkin can't write a female who isn't cuckoo bananas.

All of that said, I watched the whole season. It was a train wreck. But the fun sort.

How did you like the first season? Better or worse than the first season of Buffy?
Worse. Not sure if actually was worse, but by the time I'd gotten around to the first season of Angel, I'd seen at least three good-great seasons of Buffy.

Of course my opinion of the show started skewing more towards the positive once Wesley (Wyndam-Pryce, Rogue Demon Hunter) showed up. What a boss.

Worse. Not sure if actually was worse, but by the time I'd gotten around to the first season of Angel, I'd seen at least three good-great seasons of Buffy.

I thought Doyle's sendoff was quite good, but the rest of the season is a bit forgettable. Not as good as a finale as Buffy vs The Master.

Of course my opinion of the show started skewing more towards the positive once Wesley (Wyndam-Pryce, Rogue Demon Hunter) showed up. What a boss.

He is a boss isn't he? And even more so when you realize that Alexis Denisof is banging Alyson Hannigan in real life.

Speaking of esoteric shows, has anyone stateside ever happened on a British TV show called Peep Show? I know they made a US version of it but it was horse shit. If you get the chance, or the inclination, I'd definitely recommend that to anyone.

And with only 6 episode per season and episode only half an hour long, you can get through them in a couple of days if you were motivated to.

I thought Doyle's sendoff was quite good, but the rest of the season is a bit forgettable. Not as good as a finale as Buffy vs The Master.
Forgettable might be the right word. My favourite episode was Sense & Sensitivity. That tells the story right there.

How do you think the following four seasons compare?

He is a boss isn't he? And even more so when you realize that Alexis Denisof is banging Alyson Hannigan in real life.
Good for him. Still a job worth wanting.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, has more character progression throughout the entire "Buffyverse" than Wesley does. Seeing where he started out on Buffy and where the character is by the end of Angel... it's truly remarkable.

How do you think the following four seasons compare?

I think Season 2 is more or less the same with flashbacks from Angel's past and some nostalgia from Buffy thrown in. The series really picks up with Season 3 and rockets away from there.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, has more character progression throughout the entire "Buffyverse" than Wesley does. Seeing where he started out on Buffy and where the character is by the end of Angel... it's truly remarkable.

Good freaking lord is this a true statement.

I... have. I thought you knew.

I'm sorry, old friend, nobody told me. Can you ever find it in your heart to forgive me?

You're still a chump.

NorCal, I know we're being dominated by Whedonites right now, but Spartacus: Gods of the Arena is going to be my Christmas viewing - you know, because it's so festive - and I'll need to you to hold me if/when any major characters die. Play the long game.

I think this kinda belongs here; Coco, your new sig, am I right in thinking that it's Walton Goggins playing Shane Vendrell rather than Boyd Crowder?

I accidentally called him Walter Goggins once. People were not amused.

I have The Shield upstairs - all of it. I've watched about two episodes.

As long as it wasn't the last two you should be fine. Once Bawitdaba started up in the first episode, and the consequent actions of the Strike Team, I was completely hooked.

Is it a show you'll try again or is it not your cup of char?

We'll see if I ever go back to it. Must have spent at least forty quid on that boxset - it would be a shame to see that go to waste. Maybe I'll sell it.

Sell the DVDs but keep the box, if its this one that you have.

157216653.jpg

157216707.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back