Sam, Coco, Barbosa, NorCal, and J-Glass discuss esoteric shows

I think this kinda belongs here; Coco, your new sig, am I right in thinking that it's Walton Goggins playing Shane Vendrell rather than Boyd Crowder?
I'd assume so.

Avoiding exam studying has gotten me two episodes into the second season of a Shield re-watch. I'm loving it. But like Forest Whitaker later in the series, this civilian auditor pretending she can do things she really can't is killing me. No, Laine. You're not going to shut the barn down. Now take some notes, and be on your merry way.

I accidentally called him Walter Goggins once. People were not amused.
People were right.

Armadillo was a brilliant villain and I wish they'd given him a run in the whole season to really push Vic, though it would be hard to top the face grilling.

The inclusion of the co-pilot halfway through the season really baffled me but its cool to see Dutch and Wymms getting their relationship started. The clip where Dutch comes back to his desk to find his chair gone makes me laugh everytime. Then again, Dutch is one of the most overlooked funny/awkward characters in recent TV history.

Sell the DVDs but keep the box, if its this one that you have.

157216653.jpg

157216707.jpg

It is. Half the reason I got it was the box.

I bought the first season of The Shield on DVD this summer and quit after 4 episodes (same thing happened with Big Love). I just couldn't get into it. I need to be able to root for someone, but I can't see myself ever liking any of those characters. Not only are they despicable, but I don't care about any of the actors portraying them as well. Maybe one day I'll go back to it, but for now Brotherhood, Lost, The Guild, Deadwood, and Battlestar Galactica are the next shows I have sitting on the shelf waiting to check out.

I really feel it took me to the end of season one to truly love the show. On the other hand, I don't see any of the characters getting any more likeable. So I couldn't recommend you get back into it if that's your hang-up.

I always see Michael Chiklis's character get compared to Tony Soprano, Walter White, Omar Little, etc. as the ultimate anit-hero that you can't help but love despite the things he does, and I just didn't get that vibe from him.

Plus, I think Michael Chiklis sucks. When was the pilot made, 2002? Let's see, middle aged white guy playing rouge cop in 2002... put John Turturro, Clancy Brown or Kyle MacLachlan in that role and I probably do end up loving the series as much as everyone else.

My gut says that by the end of my re-watch, I'll feel that Vic has more redeeming qualities as a person than Walt. Not by much though. And I'm not entirely sure I'll think that makes him a better character. Still, I can safely say that four episodes isn't enough to make that judgement in.

Not that I want you to watch more. I really don't. You probably won't enjoy it.

Now your take on Deadwood ought to be mighty interesting.

Brotherhood, Lost, The Guild, Deadwood, and Battlestar Galactica

From that list I have seen all of Deadwood and BG. Both are excellent.

Of the others I have seen some of Lost and thought it was decidedly underwhelming. Actually, to be more honest, I found it to be shit.

Then again this is from someone who has been underwhelmed by Breaking Bad 2 seasons in

BG better be as good as people say it is. Same with Friday Night Lights. Those two shows will be up at bat sometime in the near future.

BG better be as good as people say it is. Same with Friday Night Lights. Those two shows will be up at bat sometime in the near future.

I agree with BG. I'm usually not a fan of Sci-Fi stuff, but this gets so much hype I can't help but give it a shot. I did love Firefly, after all.

And Friday Night Lights is easily the greatest network television show in history. I think you're going to love it.

Have you seen Twin Peaks, Coco? You should add that to your list if you haven't. It's right up your alley with its humor and intelligence.

And Barbosa, Breaking Bad doesn't really hit its stride until mid-way through season 3. I love the first 2 seasons, but it's by the end of season 3 when you realize how great the show really is.

Have you seen Twin Peaks, Coco? You should add that to your list if you haven't. It's right up your alley with its humor and intelligence.
It's a little farther down my list. Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm dragging my feet on it. It's 30 episodes. Not a huge commitment.

Of course it's not as far down on my list as, say, Lost or 24. You know, stuff that's only on my list out of some strange sense of completism when it comes to allegedly good television.

It's a little farther down my list. Honestly, I'm not sure why I'm dragging my feet on it. It's 30 episodes. Not a huge commitment.

Of course it's not as far down on my list as, say, Lost or 24. You know, stuff that's only on my list out of some strange sense of completism when it comes to allegedly good television.

24, season 4-series finale, was a sporting event. You cheered, counted bodies, etc. I accepted it. I missed how fantastic the first season was, but I got over it. Adrenaline took over.

Барбоса;4251781 said:
Of the others I have seen some of Lost and thought it was decidedly underwhelming. Actually, to be more honest, I found it to be shit.

aye. I, also, did not enjoy it.

Perhaps if it were an actual monster, and not just smoke. :shrug:

Shameful, painful irony that The Tudors was allowed to meander on and on for four seasons, while Rome and Deadwood were cut short at two and three, respectively.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with some love for FNL. Once you stop squinting at Riggins to figure out how old he really is and just go along for the ride then its really enjoyable. I think its the 3rd or maybe 4th season when it turns out there's a massively poor section of Dillon seemed like a bit of a stretch, but it didn't do enough damage to make me stop watching.

Plus, Minka Kelly. Yes.

And Barbosa, Breaking Bad doesn't really hit its stride until mid-way through season 3. I love the first 2 seasons, but it's by the end of season 3 when you realize how great the show really is.

The major problem I am having with BB is that beyond Walter and maybe Hank, I find the characters to be incredibly annoying and ridiculously inconsistent in their behaviour/attitude (even Walter is not immune from this). Virtually every time Jesse, Skylar, Marie or even Walter Jr appear on the screen, I have the urge to turn off/fast forward.

aye. I, also, did not enjoy it.

Perhaps if it were an actual monster, and not just smoke. :shrug:

For me it was more about how, despite all of these myriad unlikely events and strange occurrences, virtually never does any one stop to ask "why" these things are happening, seemingly accepting of their increasingly dangerous but unexplained lot.

I think the kicker for me was the series finale where Locke pulled the gun on Jack, trying to stop him from leaving, and the latter does not ask him why he is doing so - you know, the immediate reaction any normal individual would have (apart from perhaps cowering).

Барбоса;4258217 said:
The major problem I am having with BB is that beyond Walter and maybe Hank, I find the characters to be incredibly annoying and ridiculously inconsistent in their behaviour/attitude (even Walter is not immune from this). Virtually every time Jesse, Skylar, Marie or even Walter Jr appear on the screen, I have the urge to turn off/fast forward.

There have been a couple of people I've told to avoid Breaking Bad because I knew beforehand that they would despise Jesse, and I think if you end up not liking Jesse, you won't like the show since his role only gets bigger and bigger throughout the series, and he becomes more sympathetic and more sympathetic as the show wears on.

Justified might not be the best show on television, but it's easily my favourite. And it only gets better in my book. As the seasons go on, they seem to get a better grasp on how to balance stand-alone episodes with the ongoing stuff.

I think the stand-alone episodes did get a bit repetitive in the first season, but the fact that a bunch of the episodes had ex-stars of Deadwood was like a hug to my soul. The second series then having an episode early on (2nd or 3rd I think) where Raylan couldn't shoot anyone was a nice move.

Justified might not be the best show on television, but it's easily my favourite. And it only gets better in my book. As the seasons go on, they seem to get a better grasp on how to balance stand-alone episodes with the ongoing stuff.

I think the stand-alone episodes did get a bit repetitive in the first season, but the fact that a bunch of the episodes had ex-stars of Deadwood was like a hug to my soul. The second series then having an episode early on (2nd or 3rd I think) where Raylan couldn't shoot anyone was a nice move.

The thing I loved most about the stand-alone episodes from the first season are the criminals. They weren't generic, psychotic convicts. They all had a grasp on how the system works, never took it personal, etc. And no, it's not the best show, but I'm enjoying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back