RP Feedback Thread

Logan McAllister (K Web V3)

For someone who has no clue who his opponent is I can't fault you for not going in depth with it like I usually enjoy seeing in an RP but at least you mentioned your match.

Correct me if I'm wrong but your character is that of a father's man providing for his son but he seemed an afterthought in the RP. I would have liked to see what Hayden thought of his father getting engaged (and at Fenway Park of all places).

I can't say if you'll win or not with your opponent being a surprise but it's a very nice Character development RP regardless.

Garth

So Garth is the dark horse in the tournament and I am a huge fan of your writing. You really can bring it and deserve to be in this match.

Acknowledging that this is the biggest night in your career is good. It is a huge match and can really win you the gold soon.

I enjoyed how you talked about your past matches without saying names. They are the past and the future is now which is what I got from that.

The Black Revolution! sounds awesome. I can see Garth as a main event player with this RP. You write a lot of monologues and normally, that can get a little boring but with your character, I think it fix. He is a lone wolf.

You promoted the future world champion and that was good and you didn't let it be the focus of the RP.

I don't like the green to be honest. Kinda hurts my eyes with your monologue. Now, I don't see anything wrong with it and I don't want to try to pick at it to find anything wrong with it. It flows really well and nothing made me stop and go "huh?" which is the best thing about an RP.

Only thing I don't like about it is how it ended...he was talking then it stopped...I wanted more Dammit!

Overall, the best RP in the tournament and maybe even on the Card. :)

Kagura

So, first, I hate Kagura's last name. I can't say it. I can't type it.

Ok, so to the RP. I know that she stole Ramparte's voice and I want her to give it back...he needs it...

And she is a thief. I wonder what she will steal next and from who? I would love to see her back in the title picture with Titus Avison as Eve just had her belt stolen and we shouldn't see that program run again for that belt for a while.

Now that you mention it, Kagura has been in the back ground lately.

You mention Garth and do it in a way that really made him look....weak.

I liked this RP because you not only put over yourself and the gold rush tournament but you put over Ramparte as well. You basically set up a feud if you do not win this tournament which is awesome. I really think the winner of this match will win the tournament.

Also, Kagura reminds me of Liliana Vess from Magic the Gathering. Crazy witch!

Matt Tastic

Damn, that writing is tiny :( maybe, if you do this again, make it a little bigger....

I like how you talk about how long you really been in WZCW and the fact that you started from the bottom and worked your way up the ladder.

First thing that I seen me that made me do a double take is right away when you go from saying you are going to face Veejay....Then you have to defeat Kagura....and Garth Black. Now it's cool if you want to mention them all here but you will only face one person but I'm sure you know that being on creative and all :)...

I like the Interaction between Stacey and Matt. Really highlights how big of a bitch she can be.

God, she really brought up the low ends of your career.

You dug deep into Garth there, even called him a Rabbit!

Kagura does change her name a lot....but it's the same thing that everyone else said...maybe something a bit different could have really made your RP stand out.

Love the Interaction between Live Mas. I like how you brought up the good and the bad of being world champion.

That last line with Stacey really sold the RP and brought it together to me. It made her break her bitch attitude but it seemed really worth it. I enjoyed the shit out this rp.

First, let me point out. All this is my own point of view and not at all reflects everyone else's point of view in creative. We aren't Borg contrary to popular believe. I think I've gone months without winning a single Dave vote. We think differently. I'm from a land with iguanas and toucans (apparently) and people sniff hibiscus even though that's incredibly dangerous because of pollen or poisonous insects. The fuck were they smoking with those promos? Dave's from a land where men wear skirts and eat sheep organs. Skirt wearing fucking vampires. Which is really different from my place. That stuffs rice into pig intestines and then fry it with it's own blood. That shit's real, by the way. It's called a "blood sausage". And it's fucking disgusting.

But onward. I'm doing this because for one, I have the free time to do so and as such, I feel everybody deserves to know how someone who has to read all of these thinks. Secondly, it's because I've been seeing feedback that's not really helping anyone. Matter of fact, I'd almost call it **********ing. You should be saying how you feel reading these pieces, not offering commentary. The idea is to see how other people feel reading your work. Are they entertained like they're supposed to? Does it have value as a written story? Or as a wrestling promo? Are they invested in the characters or the story involving said characters? What did they not like? What took them away from the piece? What's keeping them from investing?

Damn, that writing is tiny :( maybe, if you do this again, make it a little bigger....

I like how you talk about how long you really been in WZCW and the fact that you started from the bottom and worked your way up the ladder.

First thing that I seen me that made me do a double take is right away when you go from saying you are going to face Veejay....Then you have to defeat Kagura....and Garth Black. Now it's cool if you want to mention them all here but you will only face one person but I'm sure you know that being on creative and all :)...

I like the Interaction between Stacey and Matt. Really highlights how big of a bitch she can be.

God, she really brought up the low ends of your career.

You dug deep into Garth there, even called him a Rabbit!

Kagura does change her name a lot....but it's the same thing that everyone else said...maybe something a bit different could have really made your RP stand out.

Love the Interaction between Live Mas. I like how you brought up the good and the bad of being world champion.

That last line with Stacey really sold the RP and brought it together to me. It made her break her bitch attitude but it seemed really worth it. I enjoyed the shit out this rp.
I appreciate the thoughts, Ryder. But there's very little I can learn from this. It just reads "I like" over and over again about bits and pieces. It's not really insight as to why it caught your attention. You said it entertained you but you barely said why? "That last line with Stacey really sold the RP and brought it together to me. It made her break her bitch attitude but it seemed really worth it. I enjoyed the shit out this rp." This is what ended it. Which does say a bit of why you enjoyed it. It was because of the interactions between the characters. But it's not really telling me what about the interactions was it. Was it how Stacey came off as a contrast to Matt? Was it how at the end of the day, we strive to be what people expect us to be? Or was it just the shipping fodder? I don't have a concrete answer.

With all that out of the way, here I go.

Garth Black
- Wasn't all that impressed with the Garth Black promo. It tends to look great when he's fighting the establishment but on this case, he seemed to have little to no material. I mean, he called my character one that's been favored by WZCW. Maybe it's just because he's being a clear heel but the whole "fighting the establishment" thing falls apart when he says he's around for so long and how another Champion leaves yet he's one of the biggest cases of in-n-out around here. It kills it for me, really. It takes me out of kayfabe. But I do realize he's a heel and it's the point. So even though it takes me out of it, I know why it got as far as it did. It is quite in fact a really good piece. And a good indicative to why Garth has gotten as far as he has lately. Though I feel the lack of material cut short was could've been the winner. -7/10

Kagura Joheki
- "Kami" in miniscule. Oops. As opposed to Garth's tirade that just feels wrong, Kagura actually feels like it makes sense because it's a Shinto priestess that caved and embraced evil. So she went from meek and peaceful to loud and batshit. Kagura's bit on me. That was terrific calling out my apparent lack of interest. This was pretty good. -8/10

Veejay
- That bit with Mikey felt pretty pointless. It's a nice piece for Meltdown/Ascension, but for PPV it really lacks detail to pull a win aside from the first round and even then a solid piece could trump this. There's very little to go by on the first match and the potential Finals match is totally ignored. I wouldn't say Veejay needs to refresh his character, but this piece really lacked. -5/10

Eve Taylor
- HOLY SHIT. This was an awesome piece. It's just fantastic how one fucking question built this entire piece about Eve being this pretty model, the typical "she's fake" style of life but then pointing out she more honest than anyone being herself because she's only got wrestling now. A fantastic bit here. Great ending putting the mask on just to show it doesn't matter, she can be whoever she wants, it's still her. This was fantastic storytelling and a great way to carry a bunch of threads built up over the feud and using them to string a piece that really carries emotional weight and counters John Doe's claims over the course of the feud. -10/10

John Doe
- Another very good piece, but I feel it lacked the power Eve's piece did because it never really put into contrast how Doe relates to his own mask in the way Eve did her title. Doe does talk about the constant abandonment both characters face but Eve stretched that out for herself way more than Doe did. Her embracing those abandonments and her identity crisis put a huge damper on Doe's piece that focuses on those bits too making it feel pretty powerless. This was one of the better RP's of the round, but Eve's piece was such a perfect counter measure to it. And it came first to boot. -9/10

Vee ADZ
- Vee took a line from my RP and ran with it as solid advice. Have to give him props. He also toned down all the needless junk and had a pretty decent piece focused on his match. I was totally lost on the SHIT line but I can't help but feel this is the kind of RP I'd do back in my early days. Focusing on my opponents to win. It was a pretty decent bit but it did feel quite bland. Dialog was OK at best. Story was substandard. Not that it was bad. It was basic as it should but you can be basic and not be dull. Which is the next step for Vee ADZ. Then soon after you can introduce some storylines without drowning with too much detail in each piece like you used to. -5/10

Tony Mancini
- This is such a damn stupid RP for so many reasons. Bad exposition. Just freaking terrible, uneventful, stereotypical dialog. A family discussing a wrestling show with such phoney dialog on a dinner table.

The camera turns and we see the Mancini family along with Tony's Uncle Sal, Francesco Melfi, Gino & Big Vito sitting down to their traditional Sunday dinner after Mass. Both 'Don' Angelo and Tony look like they have a lot on their mind so it's up to Priscilla to get a conversation started.

Priscilla Mancini: Anthony, I was out with friends and missed the last episode of Ascension, did you win your match in the tournament you were in?

Tony gets an annoyed look on his face thinking about his match with Veejay and chews his food before answering.

Tony Mancini: I'm surprised you watch pro wrestling mamma (mom) but to answer your question no I didn't. Veejay managed to beat me and boot me from tournament.

At that 'Don' Angelo looks up at Gino with an angry look on his face.

'Don' Angelo Mancini: You lost because Gino wasn't with you like he was supposed to be.
From the start alone. A bunch of inconsequential names dropped. A question to start a conversation that feels so forced, I'd guess someone was pointing a gun at Priscilla, Tony Mancini reciting dialog like he's Jojo on a backstage segment on Smackdown... Yes, just reading it comes off like that. And then a silly cliche mobster response.

After that silly exposition, we follow with needless shock value. Of course it's a mafia family committing movie cliche crimes and talking about "expanding family business". Dumb. Cliche. Devoid of substance. Was anything accomplished in this RP? No. I felt zero reason to think Mancini is a character worth investing in. Good or bad. Just look at Eve Taylor. Great story with a fantastic payoff. It played perfectly into her character. Which is not just "Supermodel". She grew out of it. And expanded it using what happens in WZCW as backbone and bounces off that with these amazing promos and how the e-fed reflects on her. This piece? Mancini talks exposition about his match on a table with his family. Riveting.

I don't want to hear "oh, but I haven't been around as long as Eve to establish a character arc". You're not establishing a character arc with this stuff. It's discount The Sopranos and it's going nowhere. -1/10

Ramparte
- Solid piece with a pretty good sense of vagueness to what's going through Ramparte's head. It came off pretty solidly with him not speaking but Batti still being a piece to give a promo and address Ramparte's opponents avoiding some cheap "Ramparte's thinking rather than talking" continuity issue. For that, it goes over Vee who also had a solid piece but this one also had a unique presentation to it.

Batti has become such an instrumental piece to these RP's. She is a fantastic NPC because she has such an amazing contrast to Ramparte. It really makes his own personality shine STRONGLY. If to say, they switched places, Batti as a wrestler and Ramparte as an NPC, it would be pretty decent. But then you'd have just another quirky character for the e-fed. The charm in the dynamic would be lost I feel. It's Batti reflecting off Ramparte that makes her so great and having her directly be the one to worry about winning matches would put a damper on that. -7/10

M
- M's piece felt pretty good and clever at first talking about what a villain was. But then it just kept going. And going. And going. The story in the Amazon was OK, but it wasn't all that interesting, it didn't really gel much with the whole "What Is A Villain" dialog outside of one line and the RP itself just kept going. The story just went too long for the narrative bit to keep up. It wasn't too good.

With that said, you put up way better of an effort than it would be expected from someone that announced they would be leaving. So for that I have to give a big thanks. Much appreciated. -5/10

Abel Hunnicutt
- Pretty spendid piece. I feel Abel RP's still don't really focus on matches to the level he should but it's a very compelling and different character to read. It did feel like it dragged a bit in the middle but it was needed exposition if the idea is to show how unstable the character really is. Some ideas could spice up that gap between the intro setting up the scene and the end delivering the impactful and mysteriously scary nature of Abel. But it can always be a risk. It did a pretty solid effort of growing the relationship between Abel and Holmes. It had less fluff than M and the RP felt like it had an overall point pulling it ahead. Though, maybe this would've been the best time to try something a little more experimentive for the future. -7/10

Theron Daggershield
- I think it's time for a big overhaul to Theron's style. It used to be big word blocks that were a problem but now it's just that it's not catchy anymore. It really feels like it's the same old same old from Dagger. Stories are nice but when they're all written in the same exact style, the whole D&D style, it really makes them all blend in together. Theron doesn't feel like he's grown much since losing the title. When I wrote about being lost and gimmickless, I never made it feel like something was wrong. I'd just point out that it happens and needed to re-invent myself. That's Theron's hurdle right now.

This piece really feels like it's just Theron saying "Crap, I lost. Oh well. I'll win the next one." That's not gonna pull you out of the hurdle. Trust me. I know that one from experience. While the D&D style doesn't have to be ditched and Theron doesn't exactly have to "embrace the evil" or something like that, these pieces desperately need something to refresh the outlook and make them stand out once again. -4/10

Luke Mason - This was so stupid. I hate shock value RP's. I hate shock value characters. Especially when they have absolutely nothing to offer for a match. This was terrible. Freakin' terrible and if it weren't for Showtime phoning it (Love you, Showtime. Maybe time was short, I know you can get preoccupied, but it's what it is.) and Red Skull no-showing this would've sunken Theron badly.

This wasn't a backstory piece. It just feels like another cliche "I have this really interesting idea" type character where someone wants to tell a goofy story that probably fits better in a direct to DVD film. Sorry. But it's the truth. Thinking off the wall only works if you can write something entertaining. And this was not entertaining at all. When someone like Miko writes an off the wall character like SHIT, it's entertaining because it's clever in it's storytelling. It's subtle in its character development in between its outlandish stories and always reigned it in as something strictly about wrestling. This did none of that.

Well, I didn't want to until recently. I have been down on my dumps lately and really was in a bad place. A few months ago, I overdosed on Coke. I nearly died. All I could think about was my son, who I abandoned before he was born. I broke into my ex's house, just to feel close to them and was caught. I remember seeing WZCW posters in his room. I want to be in WZCW so that I can feel close to him again. Hell, maybe even have a relationship with him. I want to be in WZCW so I can try to be a father.
This is his motivation to wrestle. He saw posters. Put it in contrast to a somewhat recent and similar flick like Ant-Man. He didn't see a poster of the Avengers and suddenly decide to be a hero for his daughter. We learned to care for him because we saw his personality and how it reacted to his surroundings. There was no personality to speak of here. That's some very lousy, not well thought out, story details. Mason was a prototypical former druggie looking to reform. Nothing stood out or felt interesting. I redirect you to Eve on how to make something compelling and interesting. -1/10

Keaton/Cooper
- Both pieces separately dragged. Together they dragged even more. They just weren't very interesting for me. Nothing grasped my attention, it was just dialog of a scared man and didn't really make me feel all that interested and then the second piece was a total monologue.

The other guys did see differently and found the dialog intriguing. I do get that you got a bad hand with Keaton having to take some time off. It's not like I'm being critical. It's two pieces after all and one was with someone else's character. Maybe that's why the guys voted for you, they felt more impressed with how you managed. I don't know. I'm not in their heads. We all have different tastes and dislikes. -4/10 (first piece), 3/10 (second piece)

El Caidos
- It's clearly a character based on the presentation of Lucha Underground. Which I'm perfectly fine with. I love it in fact. But narrative never was a big part of the presentation. It was the short piece by piece story and dialog. Which in this case, was pretty underwhelming. The Caidos trying to regain his former name feels like it's gotten flat. It just feels forced at this point and seems to have no real purpose. He's fallen. At this point "Why?" is a question that pops up. I know it's because of The Trinity, but they're gone now and without it, the Caidos story loses tons of power.

But I don't hold that against the El Caidos character at all. It's just an unfortunate circumstance. You got dealt a bad hand with Zeus leaving and it's really thrown the work in your RP's out because he's taken the context away.

At the end of the day, this was my more preferred piece out of the thread. -6/10

Ty Burna
- The Ty part was the usual to expect from Ty Burna. Solid dialog. Nothing too mind blowing though. It goes over Keaton/Cooper in that it's at least concrete for me. Ty's a dark character so he cut a dark promo and on paper it was suited to win. Maybe it's because it was back to basics that swayed you in other people's minds. Again I don't know. I'm not in their heads. But Ty was able to adapt greatly the last time this Zeus situation happened when he faced Mikey Stormrage. To the point that you beat him. Badly. But again, I can't hold what's going on here against you at all, because once again, it wasn't your fault at all. You got dealt a bad hand. You tried to accommodate and sadly it didn't pan out this time. -5/10

Now as to why you decided to do what you did afterwards, I don't have a single idea. You decided to slap my hand away when I tried to offer a point of view from the inside. You know. That place you've been in longer than anyone else. I was under the impression that if something seemed a little weird in a creative decision, you'd be the first to figure out "well maybe they're dealing with something I don't know about or see something I don't see". No, instead you decided to do what you did. Which makes me quite sad because I always look up to you.

We all write pieces that seem like winners. But at the end of the day, people are swinging blind with these RP's. We can throw a perfect swing at a perfect pitch. But there can always be that odd gust of wind sending it in a different direction.

And no. No one thinks "oh, dark pieces are cliche". Have you read Funkay's stuff?

Constantine
- This was a very good piece with a pretty fun metaphorical message hidden in the story. Climbing the steps of a ladder and falling, how videogames relate to a person's personality and how that all fits with Constantine. A very good piece. Though it did feel like it had no resolution. Nothing to really make it seem like Constantine learned from his friend and could use that knowledge to win. I think what put it behind Mikey's piece was that it was perhaps too subtle with the metaphorical thinking whereas Mikey's more overtly impactful piece stood out more. It was louder while having a little less force behind the writing which brought it out more.

All in all, this was quite good but it was very clever. It's what I liked the most. How clever it was. The somewhat lackluster end is what did it in. -8/10

Mikey Stormrage
- Damn, this was a very strong piece. It's really hard to put to words. But it has a ton of impact to it and it really encapsulates the Mikey Stormrage character in the face of adversity. It wasn't as articulate as the Constantine piece but what little it had carried so much emotional weight over Constantine's more subtle piece.

With that said, it did feature a death which tends to be a red flag for most people. But this was done far more subtly than other. It didn't feel like it happened for shock value like it tends to be for other cases. It was a plot device to give Mikey the incentive for his speech. Not to mention, it comes off as an obstacle that he has to overcome far more than "oh my God, he wrote that?". It felt like a plot device. Maybe not a needed one, but it felt like one. Which Mikey bounced off of to deliver a great short monologue that spoke very loudly. -8/10

Titus
- "Before he slept he listened to the WZCW podcast...." *sigh* Soon. Titus went all Miz in the first part from 2011. Great stuff and great work making the Eurasian title being as big or bigger than the World title. A very solid, creative piece with slight 4th wall breaking but being very condescending about it. Which is just great. Titus has really reinvented himself and I feel him having the Eurasian title in specific has been has best tool. The workout video was a creative bit. Reminded me of the time you beat me at Unscripted with that "Lee the Titus fan" video. -8/10

Flex Mussel
- This was also a really good piece. While Titus' RP was solid, quick to the point and pretty unique, this one was a very solid, expanded piece that really developed Flex. It's a really hard pick with this match up as both had their great points. Flex showed great character development which helped him keep up very well against Titus' more creative but less character driven RP. -8/10

Dorian Slaughter
- Dorian has such a freakin' way with words he actually makes the rather cliched "destroy everything" bit really entertaining to read. It did feel a bit of like a repeat though. It was by all means not bad at all and it was neck and neck with Logan's piece. Just that sometime it may need something of a twist to pull ahead of other people. Which I'm quite sure you can do. If you come back full time. *wink, wink*

I do need my win back. -6/10

Logan McAllister
- This is a very nice piece. With a mystery opponent, it was great for Logan to take advantage for showcasing his character. Solid stuff. Although it was character driven to a fault, really. You did address your match but it felt very secondary. Dorian was dangerously close to winning because of it. You should balance it out a bit better next time. -6/10

Theron Daggershield.

EDIT: This is nowhere near as harsh as it sounds, pre warning. Feel free to PM me any questions about it.

I know how you'd feel going from world champion to pre show in such a short period of time as I've been there myself. Twice. It doesn't help that you're also in a match that really doesn't matter. With that in mind however you could have made it matter.

Whilst Diabolos has done exactly what I said he'd do when I ended up in that triple threat match and not show much he's a pretty evil character. I know you don't like facing the ultimate evil characters (as Zeus/Doe will take it out of you) but each one is different. Use that to your advantage.

You've also got the holder of the King For a Day as your opponent. He's holding something that can get a midcard title shot. One of those holders is someone claiming they have the biggest prize in WZCW as a result of defeating you. So there's a lot riding on this match.

You also stand for Wisdom, Power, Courage, Justice, truth and the good old American way. Well not quite but you know, you're THE good guy in the fed so the opportunity to help a rookie (who is down on his luck) can also add a fresh thing to the match. This was touched on but very much as an after-thought.

What we got WZCW wise was:
You're annoyed about a lot of losses.
Random fan starts a good dialogue but gets cut short, this could have really gone somewhere.
I'll win again
I can help Luke Mason.

The thing is I don't think you need to mix up too much of what you're doing, you need to see the opportunities you have. I've provided three in a seemingly nothing match and thinking it that way will help.

You 100% need a feud though, it'll keep you focused and we'll see you hitting things of old. Subtle changes not an overhaul.

Luke Mason

Opening paragraph, you've used the word pants in two sentences. It's always good to re-read as duplicates can happen. There's also a typo here "He gets a big whiff of what he is cooking." This is the opening paragraph to your character and it doesn't bode well.

I'm not sure about hooker prices but one's stayed all night, cooked you breakfast, taken your clothes and you've only paid $45. $5 of which is for her cooking breakfast in your house with your food!

You're a face and already you've had a hooker and taken coke during breakfast? Another typo "Need to pick up m kid."

A seizure now? This is just getting ridiculous. Formatting error with the woman and the purse.

During the descriptions for Mustafa you have rights instead of writes.

KJ summed it up nicely that it was like a hallmark movie part. Particularly the part where the step father is there. I'm not sure why you broke into the house as well, just a bit odd.

When did you leave? 10 years or 14 years? Both are said in this.

"She begins to sob historically."...erm?

*sigh*

So many ideas and it's good to get a back story so I'm giving a huge pass for a lot of things but the problem with your last run was Missy. Do you know why? Because it was OTT, OTT can be done VERY well in a subtle manner and that's not something this RP does.

I personally think you've brought in too many characters as well. We have Adams, the son, the ex and her husband. I'd leave it to Adams and the son. You've got the focus but you also don't want to step on Logan's toes. Find a way of being the former scum of the earth who's turned his life around but in a subtle way.

You can do it, but it'll take a lot of work. Don't take this as me putting you down, I genuinely want you to do well and you can do it.

My advice would be to not even bring the son in for a cycle. Keep the focus, eventually you meet with the ex (or even stepfather) and Sebastian in a public place. You eventually build up trust and they go to a show. Then you can see the son but not the ex and slowly get rid of the step father. Sebastian should be used sporadically, not weekly but once a cycle or so. You keep things on the son but also allow the relationship with Adams as well as focusing on your opponents. That will work much better for you and make it different to Logan.

Logan McAllister

Before I start let me mention how much I hate RPing against ???. It's so hard and can be anyone, the focus on who it'll be is usually an aftermath. I tend to make an educated guess and build it from there. You did that here but it's an afterthought, heck you even guessed who it would be. Imagine doing the cous on Ricky RUnn, Slaughter and KO instead of making a big list? But this is me nitpicking, and I wish WZCW would drop the ???.

Onto the crux of the RP.

It worked to your advantage having a ??? as it allowed this rp to be done. It's been a year being built up and a home coming hero proposing to his fiancée is pretty sweet.

My concern (is what I said in an RP when I fought you) is that Hayden is becoming more and more of an afterthought. This is why you're doing WZCW and he should be the focus not Brittany. That's me being picky though.

I liked the RP, it wasn't the greatest but I enjoyed it. It's the culmination of a year of Logan in WZCW and you need to think what's next? Not a "ou know how frustrating it is, to go out there, say "I'm gonna win" only to lose match aftah match aftah match?" You now have a fiancée, a son who thinks the world of you AND you got the fulfil your dream of throwing first pitch at Fenway park. Logan's not a failure and he, as a character, shouldn't see it that way.

You've now defeated a WHC AND in your debut match you took the now WHC to the limit. Use that.

Reactions: NSL
Vee ADZ

I enjoyed this RP, the feed back is to help on very minor points that I picked up.

I really liked that you used the referee in your RP. I can't remember the last time that was done so it adds a unique spin to it. As KJ said using the how will you react if you lose line is brilliant. Not sure you should have done the ??? when Keith was speaking as we knew it was him from the bit beforehand. Minor I know.

Another minor thing with Trent is when he says "But I know if it were cricket you’ll be the first one on the field, but it’s Gaelic football." we know it's Gaelic Football as it's just been introduced, may be worth saying "But I know if it were cricket you’ll be the first one on the field, but it’s not". Makes a slight difference to me.

I also like that he's called Trent, obviously a cricket reference there. The part about Trent's radio show and people asking for you just didn't really read very well.

Good focus on your opponents but (and I'm guilty of it myself) too often this is thrown on at the end.

I look forth to facing you on Meltdown!

Tony Mancini

Is Uncle Sal part of the family? If not it's just odd to say "the Mancini family along with Tony's Uncle Sal."

I joked in the discussion thread but I really didn't like the fact that you put the translation for mamma in. There's not one English speaking person who would need it. The speaking a different language thing is something a few people do but I don't think it's needed. What I would suggest is that you would change the font or use italics when someone's speaking Italian. For example:

Priscilla Mancini: Rilassare il mio amore (Relax my love), you know what the doctor has been saying about your blood pressure.

Compare to

Priscilla Mancini: Relax my love, you know what the doctor has been saying about your blood pressure.

The second one is better to read but you can tell a difference in the font that you can use is the characters speaking in Italian. Much easier to read.

I like that you used a mistake in the previous match writing (Gino not being with you) as the reason for the loss. Always good to build off things like that.

I find it odd that Priscilla starts by calling you Anthony and then going with the more familiar mio figlio.

I'm not going to mention the sterotypes thing because really KJ covered that but I will say the FBI agent thing was weird. We were finally getting into a good flow about you opponents (the best part of the RP) and it's stopped for this odd story.

Too many characters, too many stories at once. I mentioned this when you were posting your application and RP's, you need to hone it in a bit. Keep it simple, build a great foundation. This mob thing can happen but it needs to be about Tony, not Angelo. The last part of the RP plants the seeds for that.

Idea: Tony's on the road trying to drum up business. Take whoever ir is on at their own game and say that what you see in the ring is not always what's going on. People think he's weak but sometimes you need people to think you're week to strike.

This is later than I wanted it to be, so oops, but here we go anyway:

Gold Rush - Tony Mancini

This might be a little stream of consciousy at first but I'll try to bring it home at the end.

Right off the bat, there's a lot of characters in this scene, and just glancing through, a lot of them talk. I assume you want some kind of big Italian family Sunday dinner vibe, which is fine, but asking me to care about this many characters in a scene is a lot, especially for a newer character.

It seems odd that Tony doesn't know whether or not his Mom watches him - that seems like the kind of thing a son would have figured out about his mother a long time ago.

I immediately get the feeling that Don is the important character in this scene and not Tony, which is a problem, considering the RP is for Tony.

You know how sometimes a WWE promo will start (Roman Reigns was a big offender here) and they'll spend about five minutes doing a "Last week, Seth Rollins ate the last Popsicle, and so on, so on, so on"? That's what the opening of this RP feels like to me. I'm not learning anything about Tony here. I'm learning something I could have gotten by watching the last episode of WZCW TV and spending a few minutes reading bios. All I know about Tony so far is that he's annoyed and his dad's kind of a dick.

The shift to the FBI agent is good. I start to get a better feel for what Mancini is actually about here - doesn't respect authority, laughs in the face of danger, etc.

This whole necklace situation would have been aided about 1000x by a picture. All I can picture is a pepper hanging on a chain.

Don's speech at the end is on the one hand good for building up the broader story you're telling, but Tony gets in literally nothing in the exchange, so it does almost nothing for the actual RP.

So, here's my biggest problem with all of this - I come out of this RP with practically no feeling for who Tony is or what he's about. He reacts to every situation like a stereotype - he gives bland explanations when asked for what's been happening recently, he tells his mom he loves her, and he laughs at a federal agent. He's a walking caricature of a mafioso in this RP. What's worse is that he's not even the dominant figure in the RP - his own father overshadows him at pretty much every turn. He questions Tony, and Tony answers. He sends away the federal agent. He tells Tony what to do at the end.

To improve, you should really focus on starting from the basics. This RP has strayed too far from the basics, fundamentally. Picture Mancini alone in front of a camera for five minutes to run down his opponents and start from there. What would he say? What would he want the WZCW Universe to know about him? If there's an interviewer asking him questions, what would they be and how would Tony respond? What information would he give out unwillingly - through his body language, through a moment of weakness, through snapping at the interviewer?

Really ask yourself when writing your RPs what story about Tony you want to tell and what makes it interesting, because I was struggling to maintain interest in this. What are Tony's real strengths and flaws as a character, and what situations can he be put in that test them? My guess is Sunday family dinner is not the kind of situation that tests anyone's strengths and flaws particularly well. Think of how you can show the audience something novel and interesting about Tony and communicate that through story.

Those two things - the essence of a simple RP and the interesting story about your character - are what you can take and weave into a truly excellent RP. Tony's clearly frustrated about being lost in the shuffle and getting pushed down the card in a multi man match, right? You could write, for example, a comedic RP where Tony does a bunch of things where nobody pays attention to him. Maybe he goes to a crowded deli and nobody will give him his salami, and then he gets stuck in traffic, and maybe he sits down for dinner in a crowded Italian restaurant for a date with a pretty lady, but he can't get any service and his date dumps him. Then you can wrap it up with Tony doing an interview for WZCW.com where he reflects on the bad day he's had and how he's going to take all his negative energy out on his opponents. That's just an example off the top of my head of how this RP could have been more successfully written instead, but you can take in lots of directions.

I think generally the most consistently good RP's tell a story about their character that's interesting and address their opponents in a clear, meaningful way. That can be two separate sections - many of my best RP's went that way - or it can all be woven into one piece - off the top of my head, many of Saxoteur's RPs would work in some kind of fashion like that, and though comedic, they might provide some insight into that. But critically, whatever you do, you have to engage me in your character, convince me he's interesting, convince me he's worth caring about, and so on. In this RP, I just don't care that much about Tony - he reads as a boring mafioso type who doesn't do anything but get talked at by his dad. I want to see Tony out and about doing something, taking action, showing me his character through his actions, reflecting on his recent past and his hopes and his dreams, and I also want to see his novel take on his opponents in some fashion.

Anyway, that's come out a little rambley but I hope it makes sense and feel free to PM me to talk about it more. I mean everything I said in constructive fashion - if it reads negative in parts, it wasn't meant to. I wrote this all in stream of consciousness so it wasn't heavily edited.

EDIT: I would also second everything Lee said - his advice is much more concise and probably better than mine.

Austin Reynolds (Numbers)

The first thing I noticed was the fact that there was a few glaring typos that made me do a double take and go back trying to find out what you meant to say. The worst was where you had Leon talking to Austin about his relationship with Holmes and he asked What's in it for me where I think you meant him or you. Nothing a few read throughs before posting won't fix.

Other than that it was a very enjoyable read. I wasn't around during your last run so while I don't know who Dom was or his relationship with Austin it still flowed and felt real. The back and forth between Holmes was good as well and I personally think you wrote Holmes awesome. I would have made it clearer whether the conversation was all in Austin's head or if he walked in on the interview. I found myself wondering which it was the entire time I read it.

A few small things that took me out of the story but an enjoyable piece nonetheless. I'd give it a 6.5/10

Theron Daggershield (Dagger)

I love this new Direction you seem to be going in. Bringing in Tiffany as an NPC is genius as it will give us a better look at Shawn Daggers that we've never had before and that opens up a whole new avenue RP wise.

My favorite part is the setting. I like the fact you used new entrance music as the basis for your RP. It's something I've never seen before and it was done in a very engaging way. I'm glad you found a way to keep the Theronisms. Without them your RPs wouldn't be the same.

With your talent I don't think you have to worry about Theron in the real world being boring because if this RP is any indication they won't be.

Excellent work.

Tony Mancini

Better. Better.

I like that you used the italics showing the speaking in Italian, it makes it different but without breaking it up.

I liked it, it wasn't great but I liked it. Almost like a reset back to the start, you've toned down the stereotypes and reducing the amount of family members in it keeps it nice and focused.

A tag match is a good point to reset. For future you need more beef to the RP but yeah way better than your last RP.

Re-read though as there's a few typos throughout.

You've still a way to go but you're on the right path.

Vee A.D.Z

I had to re-read this two or three times as at some points it was just hard to read. Ignoring that aspect of the rp it was a decent one, not great but decent (though a step back from last week).

I like a few things in this, I'll mention as follows:

- Being happy on your win at Gold Rush. Huge win for you and it would be so easy to say "hey it should be my match tonight" you see the reason why and realise it's better for you.

- Bringing the parents to Unscripted, this is potentially a very good move.

- The best bit of your RP was Mikey. This is someone you have teamed with, someone who wished you well in an RP. Someone who is now world champion, someone you're now facing against. This really could have been expanded but all in all good.

What I didn't like

- Take on KJ's fb last round and he was glad the needless aspect was removed. This has returned. I get Vee is clever but explaining the momentum was just too fluffy. Added beef on for no real reason.

- Again the wording of some things. Get someone to go through your RP before you post as it's hard to read.

- The voices. I don't like them, some people do but I think they're just confusing and not done well.

Like I said a decent RP but a step back unfortunately. Some really good points of the RP, some not so. You can do it, I've seen you do it.

Austin Reynolds.

It's been four years since we last had a proper Reynolds RP. I can't remember Dom at all and I think that's what's supposed to be here.

Huge surprise to see you return and a big match v Dagger as well. I'll ignore the typos as Milenko's mentioned them.

I liked the intro to see how much Reynolds has changed. Four years is a long time and it's natural that he would have changed. Glad to see his neck has recovered!

Not FB on your RP but I find it weird that no one will use a phone for ages and suddenly everyone does in their round.

I like that Austin keeps the old school hatred of Leon that most people don't bother with any more. It shows how much the fed has changed, nice touch.

I'm intrigued, the Holmes relationship is very different to what I expected. Look forth to seeing how this unveils in the future.

Theron Daggershield

A few people said an overhaul was needed, I disagreed and thought a more subtle stay in the world but move some things about (ala OOT) and this RP is a prime example.

When people change things up they do one of two things, change their name or bring in an NPC to ringside. I just don't see Dagger the sort to be accompanied by someone (though you know your character better than I do).

To me the RP seemed a toys out the crib sort of RP. A fine I'll give this a go one. An RP without any heart. I know that as I did it with Titus all too often.

Change things if you want, bring Tiffany if you want but do it with heart. That's what made Dagger so great you gave a crap about the fed. You weren't so bothered about wins and losses and that was evident in your RP's.

Winning the WHC put you in a difficult position and I almost feel bad for my RP calling you Shawn and disregarding your world. It was something your opponents never did (I read through everyone of your RPs in the build up). Now it's almost like in power rangers when the new putties weakness is punching the P's. Once they find it out it's easy.

I'm not sure what is in store for Dagger but get back to heart. Like I said I've been there myself and took a long time for it to click back. Now I'm having the time of my life.

John Doe

Wow. That song was perfect for this. Sheer goosebumps, emotions. The demise of the trinity and the moving on. Perfect.

The line "I won't believe I chose the wrong path." is so right for what's happening. How does Doe cope with defeat? Brilliantly.

I was reading through and thinking yeah not mentioned Noah, then the last paragraph. It's one of those where you think "nah your opponents not mentioned" then realise the whole RP has been about it without realising it.

Your best RP yet. Glorious.

Justin Cooper

Different, I like it.

Really liked this RP, the interview was done very well and the magazine format is usually good when done. Seeing into the true Justin Cooper at parts was a nice touch as was calling Keaton brother.

I liked that you left it open, are you faces or heels now? Who knows. You're a champion and that's what matters.

I liked the RP a lot and really liked that you added the actual text below. No complaints from me.

Luke Manson

Very much like Milenko you've made the right call with your changes.

I quite liked the naivety of Manson at the start when talking to Leon. I didn't like that he didn't know who Leon was but the "Did I do something wrong?" bit was well done.

I also like that you've realised working at the gym would be silly as well. Now that's moved on we're seeing a personality develop with Adams.

There's that phone call again, I really wish I hadn't done one in mine as everyone's mentioned one this round pretty much. I'd have had Adams tell Luke the match not a call from Becky. She's not a Mrs. either.

The Ashley bit was well handled (though a typo on song) though I still think it would be more character development for the stepfather to be the one meeting not Ashley.

Garth Black was never runner up to Phoenix. See his RP at KC 7. They kept fighting and fighting and fighting until Phoenix eventually won a match. Black was never second to Phoenix. Just an odd thing to put in your RP. To me it just seems like you've read his character bio and nothing else.

Pro trip read some previous RPs. I don't read everyones RPs but if I'm against someone I'll read their last 4 or 5. Gets a feel for where they are currently at.

All in all much improved, but it's baby steps. It was finally hitting stride then just stopped. Not the greatest RP in the world but a huge improvement. I'm glad to see you're taking feedback on board as well.

Mikey Stormage

"you bet your sweet ass I was spooning with the belt". I bet that's made COnstantine shudder!

Short and sweet, I liked it. The best thing I like about this RP is it does have heart behind it. You've taken a mundane setting (dentist) for such a big opportunity. Most have a party when they've won a belt, you get your teeth checked.

I liked it my only complaint would be that I wish there was more. What that more is I don't know.

Garth Black

As a customer service manager I feel your pain in this RP. Bloody first agent fucking up causing a problem.

I loved it, it made me laugh and the hold music just got better. 20 points for the final countdown one.

Really well done RP, the emotions were great and I like that you're taking the match v Manson as a small blip. It makes sense. Top notch.

Noah Ryder.

You're back.

I've not properly read a Noah RP in a while, and the middle bit confused me. Does Noah really know what's going on? Does he know everything? Either way it's a big intrigue into the character and I'll go back and read some more.

Loved Stacey's fourth wall breaking and I also think it was a brave move calling John Doe cookie cutter.

Noah is the KFAD holder, and this is the most I've cared about the character in a while. Bring it.

Constantine

I saw it open in Keystone and for half a second forgot I'd said you could use Titus. I laughed at the Michael's joke, the one that keeps on giving! I also liked the bit when John gives a smary smile, something Titus does a lot in his heel RP's " Titus has come to associate with people who think that they are naturally better than others".

I know the problems you had with the rp and was expecting more. As an intro piece or even a match v Titus this would be great but because you're facing Eve it opens a few questions but I'll let them slide.

All in all pretty good RP, I enjoyed it but then I'm biased.

Xander LeBelle

Welcome back. Very excited to see this.

I liked it, no complaints. It's your first RP back and it sets the scene.

There are people who know nothing of Le Gentleman Masque and this was a good way of "This is my history but this is where I'm at". I love character of Adonis too, really can see things going well with him.

So yup welcome back, can't wait to see what is coming in the future.

Tony Mancini - I appreciate that you listened to the feedback and advice you were given. You scaled it back this round, and it was nice to see something just straightforward and simple. I know someone had already pointed out how a Don wouldn't discuss business on a phone, and those are details you'd need to pay attention to, to work a character like this. The dialogue with Gino was fine, and your playback to your last match was fine, but it got a little too basic and recap-ish, if that makes sense. We all read the shows, so a play by play of everything that's happened until now is a bit much. A feud will change that, I think, since it gives direction. While this RP may not be a five-star winner, it showed some growth in your writing, and i will be interesting to see where you take it from here, with Tony working against his father.

Luke Manson - Just like Milenko, it was nice to see you listen to the advice that was given. This gave us a lot of backstory for the character, without being too much fluff and nonsense. Manson is a rags to riches story in progress, and you need to remember that. You can't just turn him around in one cycle. The slow burn may feel like a chore, but you'll get there. You're on the right track. The only other thing I can offer you, is to avoid running to close to other dad characters we've seen. Maybe read back on some of Logan's from before you two teamed, or even read back to Trevor Steel. The dad wanting to be a hero story is fine, but not if it's rehashing stuff we've seen already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back