NFL Week 3 LD - Featuring A Rematch Of Last Seasons AFC Championship Game

That was such bullshit. the refs decided this game and this needs to be reviewed. The Pack is my team, but that was an interception. The analysts are even saying it. Fuck all these refs. FUCK EM ALL!

Gruden is too busy talking to know what he saw.

The media, coaches and players are getting out of control. I know the officiating has been shit but there is still a ton of the same sensational crap going on this season that goes on during an election season.

As a Packer fan, I tried to look at that without an extreme bias... But come the fuck on. Not only was there an offensive pass interference, but that was clearly an interception. I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said, but you have to sit down and re-evaluate the whole ref situation if you're the commish right now. You can't have a bunch of refs running around like headless chickens, deciding football games. It's a load of bullshit.

They just reiterated that Jennings had full possession of the ball on the ground and Tate only had one arm in. So it was an interception.

It's not a catch until you get two feet on the ground.

Having one arm around the ball and two feet on the ground is a catch.

At worst that is simultaneous possession.

They missed the PI but that's a Tate TD.

I don't know if I'd be more or less motivated to end the lockout with the refs. No one is more intrigued with football right now.

As a Packer fan, I tried to look at that without an extreme bias... But come the fuck on. Not only was there an offensive pass interference, but that was clearly an interception. I'm not saying anything that hasn't already been said, but you have to sit down and re-evaluate the whole ref situation if you're the commish right now. You can't have a bunch of refs running around like headless chickens, deciding football games. It's a load of bullshit.

Thank you. I'll give the Seahawks credit where its due. They kicked the Pack's ass in the first half. But the second half was dead even. That last roughing the passer penalty when Green Bay had a pick was stupid. That should've been the game winner right there. This was horrible officiating not just tonight, but this entire weekend.

No it isn't.

In order to have a catch, you need to maintain possession of the ball through the play. Calvin Johnson rule.

And Simultaneous catch is only the case if both guys get the ball at the same time. Jennings had the ball, then Tate got in there afterwards with one arm.

Thank you. I'll give the Seahawks credit where its due. They kicked the Pack's ass in the first half. But the second half was dead even. That last roughing the passer penalty when Green Bay had a pick was stupid. That should've been the game winner right there. This was horrible officiating not just tonight, but this entire weekend.

What about the pass interference call (that wasn't) on the Packers TD drive? :shrug:

Thing is Tate didn't even have the one arm on the ball until Jennings was on the ground with it. It wasn't even a simultaneous catch from what I saw. I know I seem bias. But Jennings came down with the ball before Tate tried to take it away from him.

Thing is Tate didn't even have the one arm on the ball until Jennings was on the ground with it. It wasn't even a simultaneous catch from what I saw. I know I seem bias. But Jennings came down with the ball before Tate tried to take it away from him.

No, Tates get one hand and a forearm around the ball at the same time as Jennings gets two hands. If 2 hands > 1 hand and forearm than it is a pick but I've seen guys catch the ball with 2 hands and I've seen guys catch the ball with 1 hand, both were catches. In Jennings case it is not a catch until he gets two feet down inbounds. How can you argue that possession can be made in the air?

That's not true. Tate had his hand in between Jennings two hands, and made contact with the ball at the same time. You can't see it from the angle they showed most of the replays on, but you can see it from the angle of the quarterback.

I finally saw the play. I know a little about football refereeing and while there usually is a rule for simultaneous possession the idea usually is to never use it because there is no such thing as true simultaneous possession. This seems like a case where that is possibly an important distinction. The only reason I say possibly is that I am not even sure I see a catch of any kind by Tate here. Tate's free arm on the way down is the giveaway to me, he is hanging on Jennings arm. Tough call to make live though. It is stupid that you can't review something like that.

Jennings had possession of that ball Tate had a hand on it. I'd say that's an interception. Tate was no where near having possession of that ball how you can argue that he did is beyond me.

I finally saw the play. I know a little about football refereeing and while there usually is a rule for simultaneous possession the idea usually is to never use it because there is no such thing as true simultaneous possession. This seems like a case where that is possibly an important distinction. The only reason I say possibly is that I am not even sure I see a catch of any kind by Tate here. Tate's free arm on the way down is the giveaway to me, he is hanging on Jennings arm.
What I would say to that is how many times have you seen a guy catch a ball with one hand and bring it into his body?

Tough call to make live though.
And that's the part people don't seem to be understanding. The officials on the field (eventually) ruled touchdown, on a play that is very difficult to determine, even after multiple replay angles in slow motion. Since they made the call of touchdown, there just wasn't indisputable evidence to overturn it.

It's okay to give the officials crap about the pass interference calls and no calls, but I think it is wholly unfair to complain about the last play of the game. And it's certainly not the first time we've seen chaos at the end of a football game, regardless of whether it was the replacement refs or the regular ones.

It is stupid that you can't review something like that.
They did review it, and the play stood. Wasn't confirmed, but wasn't enough to overturn.

EDIT: Apparently they reviewed whether a catch was made, not who actually made the catch, since the rules state you can't rule who made the catch. So the referees definitely did the right thing.
Jennings had possession of that ball Tate had a hand on it. I'd say that's an interception. Tate was no where near having possession of that ball how you can argue that he did is beyond me.
Really simple...I've seen guys make one handed catches before. When you see a guy make a one handed catch, does it look any different than the way Tate went for that ball?

If we had to make a either/or statement I would agree Jennings probably possessed more of the ball than Tate. But since we don't have to make that statement, since we can say simultaneous, I really don't think the call the officials made, without the benefit of slow motion and multiple replays, was a bad one.

I'm generally on Team Sly. However, normally when it is Team Sly vs. The World, my allegiance falls to the side of The World. This time the world is wrong and I am on Team Sly.

I really need to re-evaluate my life.

What I would say to that is how many times have you seen a guy catch a ball with one hand and bring it into his body?

You don't possess the ball by virtue of just having it hit you in a hand. Tate goes to bring it in and Jennings has the ball locked in both at the time and on the ground. I think Tate would have caught the ball if no one else was there but that has no relevance.

And that's the part people don't seem to be understanding. The officials on the field (eventually) ruled touchdown, on a play that is very difficult to determine, even after multiple replay angles in slow motion. Since they made the call of touchdown, there just wasn't indisputable evidence to overturn it.

Including your edit comments I agree for the most part. This isn't a replacement ref issue, this is an NFL rules issue. It did surprise me that on such a clearly close play the ref seemed to pay little mind to who came out with the ball much more controlled though.

Why was it difficult to determine? It was offensive pass interference. Golden Tate PUSHED. That's it.

No shit, of course it was. Now go dig up Steve Sabol's rotting corpse, bring it to the NFL Films headquarters and demand all the footage from all the games played over the last 50 years before you skull fuck him.

Once you have the footage, review every Hail Mary and write down every time you see pass interfernece and then count every time it was called.

It's okay to give the officials crap about the pass interference calls and no calls, but I think it is wholly unfair to complain about the last play of the game. And it's certainly not the first time we've seen chaos at the end of a football game, regardless of whether it was the replacement refs or the regular ones.

They did review it, and the play stood. Wasn't confirmed, but wasn't enough to overturn.

EDIT: Apparently they reviewed whether a catch was made, not who actually made the catch, since the rules state you can't rule who made the catch. So the referees definitely did the right thing.

Really simple...I've seen guys make one handed catches before. When you see a guy make a one handed catch, does it look any different than the way Tate went for that ball?

If we had to make a either/or statement I would agree Jennings probably possessed more of the ball than Tate. But since we don't have to make that statement, since we can say simultaneous, I really don't think the call the officials made, without the benefit of slow motion and multiple replays, was a bad one.

Yes, a one-handed catch where they had FULL possession. Tate had one hand at the most on the ball he had no control which means that, in no way, shape, form or fashion did Tate have possession of that ball. Jennings on the other hand, had both arms wrapped around the ball and had it pulled to his chest. He had control therefore he had possession which makes it an interception.

It's not matter of how Tate caught it, but rather that the simultaneous catch rule was falsely implemented. They didn't catch it at the same time, Tate grabbed at it after Jennings had already pulled it in.

EDIT: For those watching First Take, they just covered this. Sure, Skip Bayless was a bit over the top, but he's completely right.

You don't possess the ball by virtue of just having it hit you in a hand. Tate goes to bring it in and Jennings has the ball locked in both at the time and on the ground. I think Tate would have caught the ball if no one else was there but that has no relevance.
It'll be interesting to see the NFL's statement on this situation.

But let's face it. All of the media who are talking about it this morning are blowing this call WAAAY out of proportion. Don't get me wrong, there are many things to criticize the officials about, but this really isn't one of them.

Listening to Skip Bayless say that Jennings "clearly" had control of the ball is simply asinine. It wasn't clear, even after replay, which couldn't overturn the original call anyways.
Yes, a one-handed catch where they had FULL possession. Tate had one hand at the most on the ball he had no control which means that, in no way, shape, form or fashion did Tate have possession of that ball.
That's just false. He may not have had the same level of possession but he still had possesion. If he didn't have ANY possession, then how did he keep his hand on the ball the entire time?

Finally, are you telling me that when you saw it live, you knew who caught the ball?

Now Stephen A. Smith is saying the official who was 15 yards away and blocked by numerous players (the one who called touchback) had a better view of the play than the guy standing 5 yards away with the perfect angle who called touchdown.

Media is blowing this WAAAY out of proportion, and they are not even doing it correctly.

EDIT: At least Bayless is mentioning they cannot review who caught the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back