JBL is Leaving

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
JBL announced on Twitter that he's stepping away from his job as commentator for SmackDown Live as he intends to focus more time on at risk communities and youths in Bermuda. He'll still show up to work certain "marquee" shows like Tribute to the Troops and WrestleMania.

Personally, I'm glad to see him go as I've long since been tired of his schtick, though I do think he's been a lot better and far less annoying in the months since the controversy regarding his problems with Mauro Ranallo. He's toned it down and is generally less of an abrasive loud mouth all the time, which got annoying to me.

I doubt this means Ranallo will be heading back to the blue brand, I don't think his current WWE deal allows for it as a big reason he's on NXT is so he wouldn't have to deal with JBL and Vince McMahon in the first place. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't mind at all seeing Renee Young get the spot, though I doubt it will happen. She did a good job when she was on NXT commentary a few years back, she's adorable, fans like her, she's energetic and she's competent.

I enjoyed Layfield's original commentary run about ten years ago, which initially had me excited for his return a few years later. But, it didn't live up to my expectations for whatever reason, and I don't really care to hypothesise why. So, I'm not too disappointed about this. I think the whole JBL character has run its course and served its purpose on the announcer's desk, and it's time for somebody new to step up and into that role. Perhaps my opinion on JBL as an announcer is somewhat tainted by my views on the whole issue with Mauro Ranallo, who is superior to most sporting commentators today, but this really isn't that big of a deal at this point, and I can image that (for many reasons) most people will be somewhat pleased to see this change.

Not much to say about JBL other than he won't be missed. Who replaces JBL? Logic would dictate that the person would be a larger than life personality to compliment Saxton's straight man.

Lawler will likely fill the spot temporarily. What about Nigel McGuinness? He's only been in NXT for a hot minute, but he's an interesting choice.

They might put Otunga on Raw and send Booker T to SDL. I really hope the end result of this is not Otunga back on commentary. Would filling the heel role on commentary be viable use for David? He might become tolerable at best, insufferable at worst.

They could also look outside of WWE. Who would want to enter the world of WWE broadcasting?

I'm happy with this. Lost interest completely when he buried Sting during Wrestlemania. He became complete shit at that moment.

JBL will be definitely be missed as he has been one of the best color commentators since the 2000s. I think he still has value being part for WWE and I could see him doing the pre show panels at pay per views. I enjoyed the Legends with JBL before it got cancelled and I hope he continues to do Bring it to the Table and other shows on the Network. I'm sure we will get an eventual Hall of Fame induction as well.
I don't see them bringing Mauro Ranallo back to Smackdown. It was convoluted when they had a 4 man announce team before and they seem to happy with Tod Phillips being the play by play guy. They are going to need a color commentator for Smackdown. I hope they don't bring back Otunga for commentary, he was terrible. Lawler did a good job on Raw last week and I wouldn't mind him coming back for the time being.

JBL will be definitely be missed as he has been one of the best color commentators since the 2000s

That kind statement kind of shocked me until I realized there really isn't a lot of good commentators since then.

If he's indeed leaving to help people in need then I applaud him and hats off time.

That said it still doesn't take away that he was a pretty average commentator and sometimes bad. I still can't get over how much he buried Sting at WM31 but other than that his emotional outbursts comes off a phony.

Great that he's going to help others but I am also glad to see less of him.

In the end that's a win-win

Good riddance.

When there are some good commentators like Corey Graves, Tom Phillips, Mauro Ranallo and sometimes even Michael Cole, you don't need someone like JBL. Not to forget that I will never forgive him for whatever happened with Mauro. It's good if he's gonna help people and I applaud that. But I won't miss him at commentary.

Not much to say about JBL other than he won't be missed. Who replaces JBL? Logic would dictate that the person would be a larger than life personality to compliment Saxton's straight man.

Lawler will likely fill the spot temporarily. What about Nigel McGuinness? He's only been in NXT for a hot minute, but he's an interesting choice.

They might put Otunga on Raw and send Booker T to SDL. I really hope the end result of this is not Otunga back on commentary. Would filling the heel role on commentary be viable use for David? He might become tolerable at best, insufferable at worst.

They could also look outside of WWE. Who would want to enter the world of WWE broadcasting?

Steve corino is currently under contract and would be a great choice as a replacement.
It would be a good way to introduce him to the wider wwe audience too.

I will miss him on commentary mostly because just like lawler before him, he was entertaining as a color commentator and he felt like he was having fun again since he left raw.

Has far as who should replace him, why not bring back lawler. He already under contract anyway and I think he would have good chemistry with phillips and saxton.

I'm sad to see JBL go but let's hope that whoever they put as his replacement, will be able to fill his boots and won't be a generic color commentator like they have on raw and nxt.

A small shame. I felt that since he toned the obnoxiousness down, he's been pretty good. Nonetheless, a departure I'm not particularly disappointed in.

My first idea for a replacement is Daniel Bryan. He'd be short term, as he's likely to leave in about a year, but he's a proven commentator with personality to boot.

First off not a fan of JBLs last run...
But the real problem is the 3 man team format.... needs to be just 2... a color man and a play by play man.
Saxton is terrible and hasn't imporoved at all.
I like the ideas of Nigel or Corino but probably see the otungu/booker t being the choice

King Ross is opening a champagne right now. Though he kinda hates more Booker T now.

Anyway, if we look others like Otunga, Cole and Booker T, he isnt that bad option compare to them. Still not really good one and surprised that they didnt do it sooner, like after Ranallo incident.

I thought he was a good commentator and underrated in that department.

However you have the stuff with Mauro. If true, and it definitely seems like it is, then well he needed to go.

I do appreciate his work in Bermuda though. He should be applauded for that.

I'm not sad to see him go.

What I can see a likely behind-the-scenes scenario being is that someone was finally fed up with all of JBL's shit, especially after the Mauro "incident" (I guess) went so public.

However, being a smart business person, JBL worked the situation in his favor to agree to leave after the incident blew over, Mauro was brought back, and the departure could be mutually beneficial.

Do I have any substantiation for any of that? Of course not. But that's what it looks like to me. Does my opinion count? Absolutely not.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I would be sad to see him go. I don't agree with how he acted with Mauro but when looking past that he was a good commentator. It's good to get a former World Champion's thoughts during big matches. The bigger question will be who takes his place. It will probably end up being Otunga or Booker. I really hope it's not Lawler. As much as people may be glad to see JBL go, Lawler was far worse in the last several years. Renee would be great if they want to give someone new an opportunity.

Has far as who should replace him, why not bring back lawler. He already under contract anyway and I think he would have good chemistry with phillips and saxton.

Regarding Lawler. He suffered a heart attack a few years back so the WWE might not want to bring him back full time.

The other is that despite his status Lawler was only good when he was a color commentator with Jim Ross. With Cole it almost feels like Lawler isn't even trying. And with Vince McMahon, Lawler was more annoying than anything. I was listening to his 1994 to 1996 commentary and they were more saying random annoying things to get heat w/o substance.

Lawler is good with Jim Ross but w/o him Lawler is either bland or annoying.

I'd rather JBL got replaced with somebody brand new. Try out Dustin Rhodes (Goldust) on commentary and see how well he can keep up with the others. Maybe Stone Cold Steve Austin or Christian, they don't seem to be doing anything else really.

The weird thing is that those who are glad to see him goes, all point at the mauro situation as the reason why they are glad to see him go. The thing is, that wasn't his fault, he was just doing what he was told to do in that situation. Mauro was starting to think he was better then wwe and they wanted to bring him down to earth so they sent JBL to do it.

JBL was really entertaining and was bringing back something that his really missing in today commentary and that was the art of the heel color commentary. Nobody was able to do the heel commentator stick like JBL and he will be miss. I really hope that whoever they put in his place his somebody like him because JBL was able to bring the best oit of saxton and phillips and made the annouce team better instead of what they do on raw where all three seem to e the same guy

A crime is a crime. Regardless of if you're the one who did it or you're the one who made that one do it. If JBL was made to do it, it doesn't make him innocent. Height of partiality. Even when someone has a history like JBL.

I'll certainly miss him if David Otunga is his replacement. I have no idea why we need three commentators but a former wrestler with any kind of credibility is certainly going to be needed instead of having Phillips and Saxton do the show. JBL certainly wasn't a great commentator but he has an authority based on all of his accomplishments. One of the reasons no one cares about Otunga is he barely accomplished anything. JBL certainly did, though that only helped him a bit with being so horrible at his job. I won't miss him, but egads the possibilities for his replacement scare the heck out of me.

At times over the past couple of years JBL has made me laugh, but on a normal Monday now Tuesday night I just groan when he opens his mouth. I won't miss him as much as some on here have said. Might be nice to have him come back for special events like maybe Mania or Summerslam, but on the whole his commentary has grown just a little stale. Good luck to him in the future, and hoping that we get someone other than David Otunga or God forbid Percy. Just don't really know who else is out there that they can use.

It would be interesting in the interim if they went down the road of a guest commentator for imagine a show with KO or the Miz for an entire 120 minute show.

I feel like McGuinness would be the ideal man to fill the gap on SD Live but I then don't know who would replace him on NXT. I imagine it'll be Lawler or Otung though.

WWE announced that Corey Graves will be JBL's replacement on SmackDown Live, but he'll be pulling double duty by also remaining as color commentator on Raw. This will bring about changes to 205 Live and Main Event with Nigel McGuinness taking Graves' spot on those two shows while still doing NXT.

Graves has been excellent, in my opinion, on Raw so I can't help but see this as a sign that WWE officials are high on his work as well. While 205 Live and Main Event aren't Raw or SmackDown, this has to be a good sign for their thoughts on McGuinness' work in NXT; while McGuinness hasn't impressed me like Graves has, he's still been doing solid work in NXT and either of them are far, far better candidates for their respective spots than Percy Watson or David Otunga. I wouldn't have minded seeing Renee Young at all; even though she did really well in NXT, now that I think on it, I don't know how she'd have done on the main roster as Vince and Triple H are two completely different animals. Vince is known to rant, rave, scream obscenities like he's a demonically possessed drill sergeant while Triple H actually conducts himself like a normal human being who doesn't get bent out of shape over every little thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back