It Looks Like Mauro Ranallo Might Be Gone From WWE

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
I'm a little surprised that this thread hasn't already been made. At any rate, as everyone has noticed, Mauro Ranallo, who's work on commentary has been highly praised by most fans since arriving in WWE, has been out for over a month now due to an extreme flare up of depression brought on by bipolar disorder. Various sites have reported that growing tensions between Mauro and JBL is the root cause for his sudden disappearance from WWE. Earlier this year, Mauro was announced as winning the WON's Best Commentator award for the 2nd year in a row and posted a list of the results featuring the top 10 other commentators on the list and JBL wasn't present. JBL wasn't happy about this and it led to an outburst on an episode of the Bring it to the Table show on the WWE Network. Coincidentally, JBL won the award for "Worst Announcer" back in 2015. What's making me think that he might be gone, or in the process of being gone, from WWE is that he's removed WWE from his Twitter profile and he's deleted any and all tweets mentioning WrestleMania.

Given JBL's history, it's easy to imagine just what sort of other things he may have said to and about Ranallo off camera. If this was legitimately why his bipolar depression, which much worse than depression without bipolar disorder, then JBL may well have said some pretty shameful and disgusting things. It's not hard to imagine that it's true as JBL has had a known reputation as a bully for a long time; former ring announcer Justin Roberts revealed recently that, in part of a book he'd written, JBL tried to get some wrestlers to steal Roberts' passport at some point, which would have caused a good deal of trouble for Roberts. If he was in a foreign country at the time, he may not have been allowed to leave and it can take up to 2 months for processing to be completed. Today, Johnny Mundo, AKA John Morrison, confirmed Roberts' story as both he and Joey Mercury were pressured by JBL to steal it but they ultimately didn't go through with it.

Situations like this are why a lot of fans have such contempt for Vince McMahon as he allows stuff like this to go on with certain people. JBL is well known to be close to Vince as they tend to share similar views on many aspects of life, especially politics and financial matters. It just makes all that anti-bullying stuff seem like pure marketing bullshit that's nothing more than a PR stunt. Even though Ranallo MIGHT have stood up for himself backstage with JBL, he doesn't have JBL's stroke with the boss. If things got physical, Mauro would probably be eaten alive and he'd probably be the one to catch the hell from the higher ups. Still, maybe it's the route he should've taken if Joey Styles is any indication. Joey Styles knocked him on his ass during an overseas tour in Iraq about 9 years back, said to have given him a black eye and cut him open underneath the eye, but JBL was said to be fairly drunk at the time. Still, from what I understand, JBL stopped hazing the guy.

Still, it's a damn shame that a man JBL's age has to get his jollies by pulling this juvenile, frat boy shit on a mild mannered guy like Mauro Ranallo. Whether you like his commentary or not, and I do quite a bit btw, I think there's a good chance he's gone from WWE as he'd probably consider working with JBL on SmackDown Live again a hostile work environment.

i think where making more out of this that it is right now. This might just be mauro trying to distance himself from WWE for a while until he'S able to get a crip on his depression.

As for the JBL stuff, i think that the new generation of fans and wrestlers don't get how the old generation use to work, JBL his from the old generation that use to do stuff like that to guys they didn'T like, the justin roberts stuff from what i've read was something that not just JBL but the whole locker room ask him to do because Justin wasn'T well like by the boys back then so they ask JBL who was the locker room leader to do something about Roberts. This was common practice back then, you disrespect somebody backstage and you get mess with, For JBL if you don't stood up to him, he's going to continue until you stand up for yourself and do something about it. For him, that's how you earn respect and that alright. The problem is that alot of the newer wrestlers and employees in general didn'T grow up in the business that way so they get offended easily which in the end, it give JBL the reputation of being a bully when in fact he'S just messing with you like he was mess with when he started. That just a right of passage.

I love mauro as a commentator and i really which a speedy recovery but sadly, i don'T think the wwe is the right fit for him right now, as much as i liked him on commentary, with his condition and with guys like JBL still employed with the company, he's better off sticking with his other stuff.

Well this story has taken an interesting turn. Apparently Jonathan Coachman has been dragged into it as well. Dave Meltzer had a Twitter exchange with him regarding ESPN not covering the story and addressing the rumour's about Mauro and JBL. Fans of Ranallo's have been tweeting Coachman showing their displeasure about it as well. What it all boils down too is Coachman has tweeted that he will no longer be covering the WWE for ESPN. WTH.

So maybe this story with JBL and his bullying tactics have some legs to it afterall. Ranallo tweeted that only three things cannot be hidden, the sun, moon and the truth. I have a feeling that this will be quite interesting when it all comes out.

Shame about Mauro though, really enjoyed his commentary. I do hope he does come back at some point.

Coach tweeted that he is not covering WWE anymore due to a big upcoming project. He said he covered WWE on his own time and that this decision was made over a month ago. Coach also rejected the notion that WWE has a bullying culture.

I don't think Vince really gives a crap or is even aware of what JBL does. When you run a giant company like WWE, these things usually do not reach Vince's level.

I do not think it is fair to lay blame on JBL before Mauro states anything. JBL's history seems to give some credibility to this rumor but I would still hold judgement until the story is told. JBL seems to have mellowed out. JBL could have unintentionally done this where he did not know he was being as hard on Mauro as he thought. JBL always makes fun of Byron despite every once in a blue moon being serious and saying he loves him. JBL stated that he only plays a heel and wishes Mauro the best.

From CBS Sports:

Mauro Ranallo’s run as the voice of WWE’s “SmackDown Live” and “205 Live” shows appears to be be over.

Ranallo, a decorated combat sports analyst who is currently the lead play-by-play commentator for Showtime Championship Boxing, deleted mention of his WWE affiliation from his Twitter account on Friday, along with a noticeable amount of WWE related retweets.

A source close to the situation told CBS Sports that Ranallo, 47, is not expected to appear on camera for the remainder of his WWE contract, which he signed on Dec. 15, 2015.

WWE would not confirm this but did tell CBS Sports in a statement that Ranallo remains under contract with the company until Aug. 12, 2017.
I wouldn't say that any of this is all that surprising. I was always iffy on Mauro, I liked him but I thought his non-related pop culture references were a bit too much at times. I'm interested in seeing how much attention this ends up getting and if there's any action taken against JBL.

This is a shame. Mauro was a great commentator and possibly the best since JR.

I don't want to pass judgment on JBL since we don't know all the facts, but if the rumors are true, then JBL should be fired. Bullying should be taken seriously and shouldn't be tolerated. You can say he was just joking around, but there's a huge difference.

Unfortunately, nothing is likely to happen. JBL will probably keep his job as if nothing happened. It's just a sad situation.

Coach tweeted that he is not covering WWE anymore due to a big upcoming project. He said he covered WWE on his own time and that this decision was made over a month ago. Coach also rejected the notion that WWE has a bullying culture.

I don't think Vince really gives a crap or is even aware of what JBL does. When you run a giant company like WWE, these things usually do not reach Vince's level.

I do not think it is fair to lay blame on JBL before Mauro states anything. JBL's history seems to give some credibility to this rumor but I would still hold judgement until the story is told. JBL seems to have mellowed out. JBL could have unintentionally done this where he did not know he was being as hard on Mauro as he thought. JBL always makes fun of Byron despite every once in a blue moon being serious and saying he loves him. JBL stated that he only plays a heel and wishes Mauro the best.

Yes I read the story and while I hate conspiracy theories myself, don't you think the timing is just a little conspicuous? I do.

Listen I have no idea what's going on with Mauro, JBL, Coachman or Meltzer. Maybe Meltzer should have kept his mouth shut. Maybe Coachman should have either made this announcement before or at least waited till the dust settled. Maybe JBL has done nothing wrong. All I know is the WWE, who are the ones who employed Mauro, should be making some sort of statement as to whether he is still with the company, or taking time off for medical or personal reasons.

If the WWE had said something, then people wouldn't be reading into whatever is said on Twitter, Facebook and other social media.

Meltzer is pretty much just doing his job and that's stirring thing up to get more subscribers to his news later, while he's well respected in his field, alot of what he reports on his just someone telling a version of the fact. Most of the time, he gets it wrong and just go to something else.

Fans seem to take everything he write as the gospel because of who he is and that's o.k. But he's just a reporter and sometimes boys will tell him something and he won't verify it because it's a good story to print and I think this story was pretty much the case of him printing what somebody told him without verifying it.

Damn.

I loved Mauro Ranallo as in commentary. Very good at actually calling the action in the ring which is in fact the core purpose of commentary. Too much better than both JBL and Michael Cole.

I don't know if JBL has any hand in screwing this all but whoever it is should be punished.

Till then, I'm gonna miss Mauro at commentary. Who's gonna say, "MAAAMAAA MIAAAAAA"? :disappointed:

If Mauro is made to walk away because of JBL's antics, it should be Layfield's ass on a platter. Look, we all know JBL's past. He has long been the bully boy in the locker room. Furthermore, we also know that Ranallo is a real announcer who can keep a show going. I liken him to a Gordon Solie. He is someone who could make Pro Wrestling real, and within the context of the program. If I was TNA, or even LU, I would sign Ranallo in a heartbeat. As for JBL? He needs his ass shitcanned. But, unless there is a REAL firestorm, JBL will perform his crap commentary for years to come.

Shame about Mauro. He was great and breath of fresh air from Otungas and Coles of WWE. JBL denied it all, but given his history in consideration wouldnt be suprised that he had something to do with it. If it is true, King Ross would have a blast with it. :lol:

Don't kid yourself. Vince is fully aware of stuff like this.

The thing is... he enjoys it.

This is just one of the many sides of Vince McMahon. He is entertained by people being humiliated. The only time he doesn't enjoy it... is when it starts costing him money.

Look at the Justin Roberts story about his passport. He even says that on his way out of a production meeting, Vince says to him "don't forget your passport" with a big laugh. The guy loves stuff like that. It's all frat boy stuff as far as he's concerned.

And as far as JBL goes? The man's a bully. It's who he is, and how he's wired. He probably doesn't consider himself to be one, because he's been living in Vince McMahon's frat boy bubble for so long now... but that doesn't mean he's not. I've got zero problem believing the little man got triggered by Mauro being recognized for his good work and not him.

I think it should say a lot that despite his issues, Mauro has been doing combat sports commentary at the highest levels for years without much incident... but took just a year with the WWE to start missing significant time due to health concerns.

The man's too good for a company like the WWE. Glad he got away from them.

The one thing that fans and newer wrestlers seems to forget it's that this type of behavior was done all the times in locker rooms before the attitude era, that'S how the wrestlers had fun backstage, by ribbing each others and go drinking and partying. That was the mentality of the business as a whole back then and JBL was part of that culture and so was vince. I think right now wrestlers and other wrestling personalities takes wrestling to seriously and everytimes a old timer try to pull a rib on somebody, they call it arrassement and bullying. They can't take a joke anymore or try to understand why that guy is doing this because they didn't know what kind of environment guys like JBL we're raise in as a wrestler. Go ask any wrestlers from JBL's generation or under what kinda ribs they wold pull on their follow wrestlers and most of them are 10 times worst then what jbl did to mauro or justin roberts or any other wrestlers that said that JBL was a bully.

If JBL was a bully for doing what he did to justin roberts, then 95% of the guys in the WWE hall of fame could be consisdered bullies as well in my opinion. I think we are so into making judgement on somebody based on what is reported that we don'T stop and try to understand why somebody like JBL is doing stuff like this and it's guys like meltzer and Roberts that are ripping the benefit from all of this and tarnishing a guy reputation at the same time.

People defending someone stealing a passport as just a rib?

If someone did worse bullying in the past, then it doesn't mean that bullying should be tolerated here. It's a ridiculous defense. It's like saying that he did a crime but in the past, the crime was more heinous. How does it negate the fact that a crime is a crime and shouldn't be tolerated. Same for bullying.

Also, first judging when you find it good but when others judge then it's wrong. Hypocrisy again. :shrug:

Stealing a passport is hilarious, provides you remember to actually give it back. JBL is a douchenozzle, and he should help WWE save face by resigning.

The one thing that fans and newer wrestlers seems to forget it's that this type of behavior was done all the times in locker rooms before the attitude era, that'S how the wrestlers had fun backstage, by ribbing each others and go drinking and partying. That was the mentality of the business as a whole back then and JBL was part of that culture and so was vince. I think right now wrestlers and other wrestling personalities takes wrestling to seriously and everytimes a old timer try to pull a rib on somebody, they call it arrassement and bullying. They can't take a joke anymore or try to understand why that guy is doing this because they didn't know what kind of environment guys like JBL we're raise in as a wrestler. Go ask any wrestlers from JBL's generation or under what kinda ribs they wold pull on their follow wrestlers and most of them are 10 times worst then what jbl did to mauro or justin roberts or any other wrestlers that said that JBL was a bully.

If JBL was a bully for doing what he did to justin roberts, then 95% of the guys in the WWE hall of fame could be consisdered bullies as well in my opinion. I think we are so into making judgement on somebody based on what is reported that we don'T stop and try to understand why somebody like JBL is doing stuff like this and it's guys like meltzer and Roberts that are ripping the benefit from all of this and tarnishing a guy reputation at the same time.

JBL's already got a terrible reputation. No one's ruining it. Just reminding people that this guy who's character they might like on TV happens to suck as a human being.

There's kind of a fine line with practical jokes where they stop being funny, and start being hurtful. And a lot of that lies with the joker. The guy pulling the joke has a responsibility to make sure the target knows it's just a joke. From every JBL story I've heard, he doesn't do that.

Owen Hart was known as the king of the rib... and everyone loved the guy. Because he had a way of doing something really shitty to you, and making you feel honored and included by doing it.

Curt Hennig was another notorious ribber. Some guys loved him (just like JBL). Others couldn't stand the guy. Because he always came across as a little more mean spirited when doing them (like JBL).

Don Rickles just passed away (RIP), and is a perfect example of this. Rickles was merciless in his comedy, and would go after anyone and everyone in the most brutal ways. Most people who try doing what Rickles did... just come across as massive assholes. When Rickles tore into you though... you just felt honored and privileged that he did.

And to your comment that if JBL can be considered a bully, then 95% of the WWE HOF can be considered bullies as well? That's probably a little high, but not too far off.

Let's face it. Just because we like watching these guys on TV, doesn't mean they're always the greatest people off the screen. There's a reason they say you never want to meet your hero's.

There's two major issues that could bite WWE in this...

First off, that Mauro has a diagnosed mental health disorder could be an issue if he does cite JBL or any other member of staff's conduct as being a trigger for it. If he had told his colleagues about it, and JBL decided to proceed anyway - it makes it a very serious matter and disability discrimination. Likewise, if Mauro hadn't shared it but the info got to JBL in some way, then there could be a privacy lawsuit.

Mental health is the new "wellness policy issue" for this decade - bearing in mind that several talents over the years have taken their own lives, allowiing "hazing" inevitably will lead to someone, eventually taking it too far with someone who has a mental health issue... and lead to bad outcomes. Whatever your view on guys like Benoit or how concussions got involved... he clearly had mental health issues WWE didn't address or even look to try to... likewise, you've had many tales over the years of bullying, hazing and people having issues. Paige is the most recent, where the company has seemingly put her under undue stress due to a relationship...

Is JBL the worst in history... no, but he seems to be the last of a dying breed, emboldened by his financial success. You can literally imagine his attitude being "So what if they fire me? I'll do what the hell I like..." and Vince liking that about him.

Mauro did the right thing in getting out, if there's even one aspect of the company that is not handling mental wellness correctly and he's a severe sufferer, then no amount of money or "career" is worth the risk.

Eiither way a BIG spotlight is going to go onto the WWE right when they don't need it to... The lawsuits they're already engaged in all cite some culture of being forced to hide injuries or issues... now an announcer with documented mental health issues is leaving - seemingly due to hazing? It's feeding Punk and the Concussion guys cases.

The other way this could REALLY bite is again it's blurring that line of whether talents are contractors or staff... This is the one battle Vince doesn't WANT to fight as he'll lose it in court when it is properly contested. As contractor, Mauro wouldn't be due the same duty of care that a member of office staff would get.... It's interesting JR is on the way back, as prior to this/his wifes death, he might have been someone Mauro called upon if he did take them to court or used him as a previous example of someone being discriminated due to a condition.

Listen it doesn't matter what whether you are a younger wrestler, older wrestler, younger fan or newer fan, the kinds of shit they used to pull in the attitude era were history now. Sure some of it still goes on, but JBL's reputation precedes him and trying to defend it as normal is well kind of disgusting. And I really wish every post you make isn't always trying to categorize people into what kinds of fans they are or should be. Wrestling fans are wrestling fans, enuff said.

The guy is a 50 year old commentator on a wrestling show, well past the age when "ribbing" people should be fun for him. If he did cause Ranallo to quit and I don't know that he did, then he's an idiot and maybe Vince McMahon should take a closer look at who he employs. Especially if JBL knew that Ranallo had medical issues and he took advantage of them somehow. That makes him a prick.

Ranallo is a breath of fresh air on a commentary team that was stale. It's a well known fact that Cole has had enough and wants to work in the back, so getting someone good in Ranallo would have been a way for him to move. The other shoe hasn't dropped in this story yet, but I can almost guarantee we haven't heard even half of it yet so I'm going to hold back judgement until it does.

Fans don't forget that's how things WAS done back in the day, it's just that most of them don't believe it should still happen today. It's not funny getting picked on, no matter what age you are or what you do for a living. Look, if somebody's made to feel physically unsafe in their work environment and/or if such acts exacerbate legitimate health problems, whether they're physical or psychological, then it stops being funny and it stops being a joke. Thirty years ago, it was generally acceptable to use some variation of racial slurs and comments in pro wrestling but times have changed.

Even if you don't think it's that big of a deal, then look at it from a business perspective. Vince McMahon has spent years working to give WWE a more family friendly image and the Be A Star anti-bullying campaign has been one of the cornerstones of WWE's various community outreach programs. I don't know if Vince really gives a damn or if he just feels such programs are great PR and it doesn't really matter in this case because stories like this simply make WWE look bad and make its various community programs and charitable partnerships look like cheap PR stunts. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know Vince doesn't like to be made to look bad and this makes Vince look bad because the buck ultimately stops with him; he likes to have control over and micromanage everything that goes on in WWE so that means it ultimately falls on his shoulders.

This story has been picked up by CBS Sports and Forbes magazine has written an article about it, so it's getting some mainstream press. Vince will probably want to try to save face at the very lease and that might mean offering up JBL as the sacrificial lamb.

Guys, i'm not trying to defend him, i'm just saying that you to see both side of the story not just the one that has been reported by the media.

Saying that JBL is a bully because of some of the backstage stuff he did when all you have to base your opinion on his some stuff that was reported by on wrestling websites is worst then anything JBL could have done in my opinion.

If it's true that he was really bullying mauro then he really should be reprimanded for it because it's wrong to bully somebody but let's face it, we don't know the whole story on this and everything was based on speculation that dave meltzer and other wrestling journalist decided to report as fact. The real bully in all of this is meltzer and his friend for not really let well enough alone and wait until one of the 2 guy came to him and told their version of the story, but i guess that all is fair to sell newsletters.

On a side note, i just one to point out that i categorized fans because that's the reality we live in right now as wrestling fans, it's not like it was when i started watching wrestling in the late 80'S. Now their are more type of wrestling fans then ever before and they all react differently. So if that some of you don'T like it that i categorized wrestling, tough luck because i will continue to do so because it'S the reality of the business right now.

Guys, i'm not trying to defend him, i'm just saying that you to see both side of the story not just the one that has been reported by the media.

Well it does sound like you're defending him by saying "that this type of behavior was done all the times in locker rooms before the attitude era, that'S how the wrestlers had fun backstage, by ribbing each others and go drinking and partying. That was the mentality of the business as a whole back then and JBL was part of that culture and so was vince. I think right now wrestlers and other wrestling personalities takes wrestling to seriously and everytimes a old timer try to pull a rib on somebody, they call it arrassement and bullying. They can't take a joke anymore or try to understand why that guy is doing this because they didn't know what kind of environment guys like JBL we're raise in as a wrestler. Go ask any wrestlers from JBL's generation or under what kinda ribs they wold pull on their follow wrestlers and most of them are 10 times worst then what jbl did to mauro or justin roberts or any other wrestlers that said that JBL was a bully."

Saying that JBL is a bully because of some of the backstage stuff he did when all you have to base your opinion on his some stuff that was reported by on wrestling websites is worst then anything JBL could have done in my opinion.

No the general opinion of JBL has been based on the stories coming from the wrestler's that he's worked with over the years. Long before the internet was even around. Just because websites are now reporting on it does that mean these wrestler's are lying and it never happened.

If it's true that he was really bullying mauro then he really should be reprimanded for it because it's wrong to bully somebody but let's face it, we don't know the whole story on this and everything was based on speculation that dave meltzer and other wrestling journalist decided to report as fact. The real bully in all of this is meltzer and his friend for not really let well enough alone and wait until one of the 2 guy came to him and told their version of the story, but i guess that all is fair to sell newsletters.

Anything that happens in the WWE these days has Meltzer involved somehow. Why should he wait till he sits down with either one of them and gets the whole story. The point is that in this day and age, and with the WWE all over "Be a Star" this is never happen these days under their own roof.

On a side note, i just one to point out that i categorized fans because that's the reality we live in right now as wrestling fans, it's not like it was when i started watching wrestling in the late 80'S. Now their are more type of wrestling fans then ever before and they all react differently. So if that some of you don'T like it that i categorized wrestling, tough luck because i will continue to do so because it'S the reality of the business right now.

Okay whatever, carry on. I see all fans the same.

No the general opinion of JBL has been based on the stories coming from the wrestler's that he's worked with over the years. Long before the internet was even around. Just because websites are now reporting on it does that mean these wrestler's are lying and it never happened

And you don't think for one minute that thoses guys just told these thing because they have a grudge against jbl and took his behavior as been a bully. I heard others stories coming from wrestler's that we're there when the situation happenned an they said that those guys deserved what they got from jbl.

So you got the right to your opinion like everybody else has the right to theirs, me I take all of this with a grain of salt. I'm not going to based my opinion on rumours and innuendos and stories of guys that have a grudge again jbl. When those reporters will have hard proof that what they are reporting is real and just not locker room talk, then I will have an opinion but right now, while I'm not for any type of bullying, we don't have any proof of what really happened so for now, it's just boys being boys.

And you don't think for one minute that thoses guys just told these thing because they have a grudge against jbl and took his behavior as been a bully. I heard others stories coming from wrestler's that we're there when the situation happenned an they said that those guys deserved what they got from jbl.

So you got the right to your opinion like everybody else has the right to theirs, me I take all of this with a grain of salt. I'm not going to based my opinion on rumours and innuendos and stories of guys that have a grudge again jbl. When those reporters will have hard proof that what they are reporting is real and just not locker room talk, then I will have an opinion but right now, while I'm not for any type of bullying, we don't have any proof of what really happened so for now, it's just boys being boys.

Of course you have a right to your opinion no one said you didn't. But in this case, I wasn't in the locker room during the AE and neither were you. Who said these guys have a grudge against JBL, maybe they are speaking the truth, why would they lie about it?

If former wrestlers are going around making up stories about JBL just too get their two cents in on this, then they are worse than he is, but have others not backed up their stories. Whether they deserved it or not, to have it continuing to happen in 2017 is a bit much don't you think? JBL should grow the hell up and stop thinking it's the 1990's all over again. If he is in any way responsible for Ranallo leaving the company and the WWE does nothing about it, then they can take their "Be a Star" program and throw it out the window.

If you don't practice what you preach, then you lose all credibility.

I love JBL response to this controversy and applaud him for it. The fact that he wish mauro a speedy recovery show what kind of person he really his. His response to the justin roberts comments was also priceless and that's exactly what others wrestlers has told over the years about roberts. The fact of the matter is that justin roberts wasn't well liked in the back, sure he had some supporters like john morrison but most of the locker room didn't like him and that we're the hazing start, JBL has always been the leader of the locker room with taker and if his behavior was out of line, taker would put him back in line. Plus like you said, we weren't backstage when this happenned and what to say that roberts didn't start the whole situation to begin with and jbl was just reposting to put him back in line because the lack of respect roberts showed the boys.

The fact is we don't know what happened but I'm read so much stories by formers wwe wrestlers and employees to know that's their alot of stuff that is fabricated to make them look more relevant. It's becoming a thing to bad mouth wwe on your way out. Roberts just took the opportunity to make himself relevant because of this story just like punk did before him and ryback is doing on a regular based. I wish that mentality wouldn't exist now but it's the new thing now and it make me sad to when I read this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back