How should Undertaker retire?

TheICChampion

The hardcore casual fan
No, not WHEN. What I'd like to see is Undertaker in a Casket match at Wrestlemania. Obviously he has to lose, and like Royal Rumble 1994, have the "casket-cam" come on, and Undertaker opens his eyes and says something along the lines of:

"For 3 decades, I have built a legacy that can never be duplicated. The legend and spirit of the Undertaker will forever live on with the WWE Universe. I can now, finally, REST.....IN......PEACE....."

What do you think? Should it go down like that? Should he say something different to let us know he's finally leaving for good? Or would you change it entirely? Let me know what you think.

People are saying he's already retired which is insane to me. A 30-year vet, widely argued as the best ever, just walking away with no fanfare? Makes no sense at all. Sure, he didn't perform great at WM30, but what did people expect? He wasn't in there with Michaels or Punk. All it could ever be was a slugfest, and on top of that he suffered a concussion. I've heard every year since 2009 that Undertaker is done, and he just waltzes back in, generally putting on classics (with the exception of Lesnar and Triple H I).

I believe the Sting match will happen. Sting has publicly asked for it, and I'm sure a 30-year vet and icon of the business would meet Undertaker's standards for a suitable opponent. For all the folks that crap on it, there are plenty more who would throw down their cash in a second for it. Then in 2016, Undertaker goes into the Hall of Fame in his home state, making that entrance one last time at WM31, and giving the fans their final photo op.

I think undertaker should stay retired and not wrestle any more. He barely survived Mania. His body can't take it. It is no secret he is old and has nagging injuries he has not been taking care of. We would have heard about him having surgeries by now. We know his hip and back are both messed up. He also has had trouble in the past with one of his elbow's.

We know even though he only wrestles 1 match per year, he simply does not have the stamina to go any more. He burns out quicker than Batista right now. Undertaker has been wrestling slower and slower every year because he can barely catch his breathe.

Quite frankly, I don't want him to embarrass himself with a match against sting. Although Sting is still in great shape and can work a few more solid matches as proven in TNA, he should not be paired with the Undertaker. I know it is a dream match, but it would be horrible/sad to watch.

Undertaker went out perfectly IMO. He did the old school job as he was done. Just enter him into the Hall of Fame and that is it. That is all I want to see.

When it came to Taker retiring, I've had a little scenario in mind for several years.

If it came about that his true, 100% last match was at WrestleMania and his streak was broken, I would have loved to have seen some sort of "supernatural" funeral procession. With Taker lying prone, beaten and "dead" in the center of the ring, I would have thought it'd been cool for the "Druids" to come out to some sort of chant, though a different chant than the one we hear when they've appeared. They'd be carrying torches, maybe 20-40 of them standing at attention down the aisle holding the torches up in something of a salute. The torches would be shaped like Taker's symbol. After a bit, the chant would change from a chorus of male voices to one of female voices, in which a procession of women wearing some sort of disguise, such as like the Divas wore during Triple H's entrance at WM XXX but they'd be darker, more somber. The women would be "armed" like warriors wearing identical "armor" and "weapons" with the exception of one. This woman's outfit would be different, signifying her as having a position of authority, maybe a "high priestess" or something that could be played by Michelle McCool. The women would surround Taker's "body" while the priestess knelt at his side, cradling his head in her lap, stroking his face and forehead, mourning him while the "thunder and lightning" is going off while these Valkyrie like women stand at attention. At this time, a few other Druids are slowly pushing a large platform, nothing too huge but large enough to where there's a false bottom that's more than deep enough for Taker to be safe, but something that looks like it'd be part of an old fashioned funeral pyre. The Valkyries gently pick up Taker's body and carry it to the ropes where they slowly slide him out onto the pyre. They flank the sides of the pyre as some Druids begin pushing it upward onto the stage all while the priestess gently holds one of Taker's hands. Once everything is in position, they wrap Taker's "body" in a burial shroud with all the Druids & Valkyries surrounding the pyre, blocking out the view of the crowd. The false bottom is opened, allowing Taker to slide down in while some sort of wrapped mannequin is put up in his place. The priestess places a final kiss against the forehead of the mannequin, or rather "Taker's" forehead. They all move back away from the stage, the Druids hold their torches, the women their swords, the priestess calls down a bolt of "lightning" and the pyre lights up, burning Taker's body. As a result, we never see The Undertaker again.

To me, it just works with the whole supernatural theme of Taker's character and as he's the "Lord of Darkness", it put me in mind of some aspects of Norse mythology in which Odin would send the Valkyries out to battlefields to choose which of the slain warriors would spend eternity in Valhalla. Even though there've never been women as part of Taker's gimmick before, since Taker is now "dead", it'd only make sense that there'd be at least one woman who loved him and mourns him. It's all very theatrical which, again, goes hand in hand with all the various supernatural stuff, plus it'd definitely be the sort of spectacle that'd belong at a WrestleMania. Besides, when you factor in the genuine shock factor of the streak ending, the emotions of people in attendance would be in a state of turmoil.

Of course, that can't happen now. :p The streak has already ended and will easily go down as the biggest shocker of the decade.

He should just stay away and not come back until he gets inducted into the Hall of Fame.

The streak is over and the last few years that's been about all he's been good for.

What is there left to do? Even for the people who say Sting. What's the point? It might have been cool 15 years ago but not now.

Taker vs Cena? Why do we need to see that again? They already had a match and that was when Cena was a heel which a lot of people like him better as anyway and Taker could still move around the ring pretty well and wasn't showing signs of a broken down body.

He benefits in no way if he comes back except a payday and he probably doesn't even need that.

As a Huge Fan of the Undertaker for so long, I have to say that whether or not he actually returns to have a match at any point, he does need to make an appearance so that us, his fans, can get true closure to the story of the Undertaker.

He has done too much for this business to just leave after losing the Streak, never to return. Yes, at the end of his Mania match, in a total daze, he got a standing ovation by the Announcers and others at Ringside, but with the Shock Factor of the Streak Ending, that was far from ideal for him,lMO.

So, simply put, the Undertaker does need to return at some point in the near future, even if only for the fans to get the chance to give him a proper farewell that a Superstar of his calibre truly deserves.

Sting vs Undertaker would be incredibly cool now. I don't care if they're 50 or 30. It's a dream match for so many reasons. Sting gets his Mania moment, Taker gets retired by Stinger, and the true fans get the dream match we've waited years for. Goddamn I would love to see the entrances & video packages, let alone the match.

As a Huge Fan of the Undertaker for so long, I have to say that whether or not he actually returns to have a match at any point, he does need to make an appearance so that us, his fans, can get true closure to the story of the Undertaker.

He has done too much for this business to just leave after losing the Streak, never to return. Yes, at the end of his Mania match, in a total daze, he got a standing ovation by the Announcers and others at Ringside, but with the Shock Factor of the Streak Ending, that was far from ideal for him,lMO.

So, simply put, the Undertaker does need to return at some point in the near future, even if only for the fans to get the chance to give him a proper farewell that a Superstar of his calibre truly deserves.

I wouldn't be against an in the ring segment. If we're going that route I would go as far as to say I wouldn't mind if Raw did an Undertaker appreciation night.

Have videos of people talking about him and then end the night with him coming to the ring and doing something special for him there. Let him talk to the crowd and all that stuff. Have video highlights between matches.

Don't make it a story line where someone interrupts him or anything. Just give him a nice send off and the fans see him in a ring one last time.

Sting vs Undertaker would be incredibly cool now. I don't care if they're 50 or 30. It's a dream match for so many reasons. Sting gets his Mania moment, Taker gets retired by Stinger, and the true fans get the dream match we've waited years for. Goddamn I would love to see the entrances & video packages, let alone the match.

So because people are interested in the same match that you want to see they are true fans?

That's pretty narrow minded of you.

Undertaker is "old-school". He did what he felt a retiring legend should do: Lose and give the rub to another star. He lost to Lesnar at 'Mania. If you see recent photos of him, he looks older than Nick Bockwinkel, and Taker is 30 years younger. He went out the way HE wante to. Leave it at that and enjoy the memories.

Is any scenario good enough for the undertaker to retire? I dont think hes retired until he says so.. I would have preferred like JH alluded to,to have him retire at this past WM! No one ever thought of him losing,and really there is no reason for him to stick around..

He has done it all,he is the greatest of them all and the most respected superstar of all time IMO.. We all imagined a funeral procession and yes I would love to see that.

But what about him coming out,no Druids no Music no thing! Just mark Calloway thanking us the fans and laying down his trenchcoat and hat in the middle of the ring,and lights go dark and he just walks away.. Nothing flashy but make it undertaker style!

I would love to see the Supernatural retirement angle im just throwing a different idea out there.. When Taker decides to hang em up he will let us all know

Is any scenario good enough for the undertaker to retire? I dont think hes retired until he says so.. I would have preferred like JH alluded to,to have him retire at this past WM! No one ever thought of him losing,and really there is no reason for him to stick around..

He has done it all,he is the greatest of them all and the most respected superstar of all time IMO.. We all imagined a funeral procession and yes I would love to see that.

But what about him coming out,no Druids no Music no thing! Just mark Calloway thanking us the fans and laying down his trenchcoat and hat in the middle of the ring,and lights go dark and he just walks away.. Nothing flashy but make it undertaker style!

I would love to see the Supernatural retirement angle im just throwing a different idea out there.. When Taker decides to hang em up he will let us all know

I'd be okay with the bold part. If that was it I wouldn't be disappointed in any way.

It's kind of like how amateur wrestlers leave their shoes on the mat when they wrestle their final match.

Personally, I'd still love to see the Taker/Sting matchup, regardless of their age.

And I'd say, go WAY old school - and let them fight to a draw. Not a Ric-Flair-style "60 minute draw", but just have them have at it for a solid 15-20 minutes, towards the end Sting hits a Scorpion Death Drop, Taker barely kicks out; Sting goes for another one, Taker instead reaches backwards, picks Sting up and delivers the Tombstone - both men go down, and don't answer the 10-count.

After the match we get a handshake and show of respect... and maybe you could even have a heel faction jump both men after the match, and they clear the ring together, resulting in a feel-good moment and nice sendoff.

For Taker's actually retirement... Yeah something like leaving his hat in the middle of the ring (as opposed to his boots) would definitely be fitting - and of course the Hall of Fame is already overdue anyway. So I guess it's either Taker or Rock headlining next year's Hall of Fame class, in any case.

I'm hoping beyond all hope that we never see the Undertaker again. He's probably the greatest superstar to span all of the major generations, he's done everything that could be done as a professional wrestler. He also takes kayfabe seriously.

He knows, as well as everyone that truly gets pro-wrestling, that the legends go out getting 3-counted in the center of the ring, clean. He doesn't do shoots, he doesn't do podcasts, he doesn't do interviews. But now he's showing up in Instagram photos, completely out of character, which is actually out of character. The Undertaker is retired, and if we're all really lucky, we'll get to watch the final legend actually go out the right way.

I am finding myself pulled in two separate directions simultaneously. I am very much fine with Undertaker being done. He's earned it and then some. More than anyone else I can name, Taker deserves his rest.

That said if he was going to do one more match....for the peeps....! Anyways yeah I would want that match to be with Sting. That's the only match worth having. Nothing outside of that matters enough to risk his health any further.

I think they should retire Undertaker in a storyline fashion. Maybe at a special event like Unforgiven where he faces Kane and Bray Wyatt in an epic 3 Way Casket Match (tables, chairs, fire, Wyatt family interference, etc involved). This way Taker's kayfabe self gets a proper burial (pun intended) in an exciting fashion that pays homage to the character and closes the final chapter of his story. The 3 men could put on the match of a lifetime. In the end Undertaker tries to stop his brother (Kane) from being buried alive and in doing so, puts himself in harms way, Bray takes advantage and sends Undertaker to "H E double-hockeysticks" and the deadman finally dies for good. The match would be also symbolic as the torch being officially given to Bray as the current and future "dark force" mainstay in the WWE. The aftermatch of the match could resort in Kane being devastated that his brother made the ultimate sacrifice for him and afterwards, he could feud with Bray individually. That would also make for some very interesting mic work between the two.

This match would do 3 things:

* It would give Undertaker the proper ending in a character-centric way
* It patches things up with Taker's relation to the Kane character
* It shows the faith/respect the company has in using Bray as a current and future top company heel - in hopes that he continues to become a replacement of Taker's legacy in his own unique way

It should be a mix of what has been said. I think there should be a Taker vs Sting match at Mania, final match for both of them. Win or lose for Taker he gets the final segment on Raw the next night comes out in hat and trench coat but is dressed normally under it. Granted I know the man behind the Undertaker, Mark Calloway would probably be against this way but it's fantasy booking so whatever. He then talks about how he is retiring and thanks the fans and almost mimics his Royal Rumble speech "the spirit of the Undertaker lives within the soul of all mankind. The eternal flame of life that cannot be extinguished. The origin of which cannot be explained. The answer lies in the everlasting spirit. Soon all mankind will witness the rebirth of the Undertaker."

He then takes off the coat and hat leaves it in the ring and the lights go out. Druids then come out with torches and honor him has he exits the arena. He completes his exit the lights come back on to show the crowd giving a standing ovation but the hat and coat are missing from the ring. It then becomes a mystery as over the next couple of weeks the lights randomly go out and the gong sounds and in the back you see in the background of things a mysterious figure walking around in the black coat and hat. Finally it is revealed to be Baron Corbin who takes over the mantle of the Undertaker.

Now I know some if not most will hate the idea of someone taking over the mantle of the Undertaker. But just like superheroes in comics other people take over as the hero, Peter Parker isn't always Spider-Man and Thor is now a woman. The spirit of the Undertaker is an eternal flame and now it will continue for years to come with another person in that role. This is something that would take time to get used to but over time I think it could work.

Boy with the blue ball, I think you are missing a big part of the discussion . Undertaker is getting quite old and he's very battered. Not battered like a fried chicken, battered like Ray Rice & Mayweather's wives. There is no reason to put the man into a ... what match was that? Tables Ladders Chair Fire and Casket match?

Snap back to reality WOAH there goes gravity... Let's bring it down to earth and the realm of possibility, please.

I've said it before he should just vanish - maybe against Bray Wyatt.. During Mania match Bray is going for the pin, lights go out and when they come back on no undertaker anywhere to be seen.. The Deadman just vanishes never to be heard from again...

I don't see a big sendoff as it will be out of character.. Maybe returning as himself not taker and facing Sting at next Mania then accepting a HOF as himself..

taker should retire after his wrestlemania 31 match on the ruccus raw which will give him a standing ovation..... or if he cant Wrestlemania 31 wwe should hugely advertise a raw like raw 1000 or last weeks season premiere or even when flo rida performed and also leak taker return rumours so he can come back for his farewell speech..... or he could have the speech at wm31:)

I believe Undertaker has had his last match. While a Sting match would be cool, it isn't necessary. Besides, all the build up and entrances would be a better story than the match anyway. 2 guys with a combined age of 106 can only do so much. I say you let Undertaker just disappear. Then, when it's time (which would be in the next couple years) they induct him into the hall of fame. The night after, on the WrestleMania PPV, he comes out in full character to receive the fans adulation. And then, he walks back into the darkness, never to be seen again.

Simple, he should never appear in the ring again... EVER!

Coming from a long time Undertaker fan, I never want to see him ever again in the ring or as The Undertaker character. The Streak is over & done with. The Way he left WM XXX was honestly a million times better than what the WWE could have expected IMO considering the match & the outcome.

The only time I ever want to see Mark Calaway on a WWE screen again is for his Hall Of Fame induction speech. Not in a trench coat of anything. Just Mark Calaway thanking the fans for everything, that's it.

My scenario would be this: The Royal Rumble winner (for argument's sake, let's say it's Roman Reigns) takes his title shot at Elimination Chamber against Brock Lesnar, and loses a close match. The next night on RAW, The Undertaker returns and challenges Lesnar to a rematch at WrestleMania 31, saying that Lesnar took the thing that mattered most in Undertaker's career, The Streak, so Undertaker is going to take what matters most to Lesnar, the WWE World Heavyweight Championship. At WrestleMania 31, Undertaker defeats Brock Lesnar by submission to win the title. The night after on RAW, Undertaker comes out with the title, and gives a SHORT promo thanking the fans, and retires as champion. He goes into the kneeling position and the lights go out, and when they come back on, Undertaker is gone, and the title belt is resting on his empty trenchcoat. That's the last time anyone sees Undertaker until his induction into the WWE Hall of Fame, 4 or 5 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back