ECW: Denver Sub-Regional

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
Come in here to discuss the Denver Sub-Regional of the ECW Region headlined by the Mastadon Big Van Vader. Remember, Extreme Rules apply and what type of effect will the elevation of the mile high city have?

The First Three Rounds Take Place In: Denver, CO
4. Big Van Vader
61. "Bad Ass" Billy Gunn

29. Sean Waltman
36. "The Magnificent" Muraco

13. "The Total Package" Lex Luger
52. Bobby "The Brain" Heenan

20. Finlay
45. 2 Cold Scorpio

5. Andre The Giant
60. Masahiro Chono

28. Bobby Lashley
37. Gregory Helms

12. The Big Show
53. Jimmy Jacobs

21. Dory Funk Jr.
44. Road Warrior Hawk

Round 2 Matches:
Denver, CO.

4. Big Van Vader
36. Don Muraco

13. Lex Luger
20. Finlay

5. Andre the Giant
28. Bobby Lashley

12. The Big Show
21. Dory Funk Jr.

Round 3:

Denver, CO.

4. Big Van Vader
13. Lex Luger

5. Andre The Giant
12. The Big Show

Hokey smoke. I would pay to see this. This wouldn't be so much a series of wrestling matches as a series of wars. Vader is a god but Andre is bigger and stronger. Show is the odd man out here, even though he's the only one with ECW experience. Any one of these three could win easily, but I think I'll go with Andre just slightly. The Andre from the 70s and early 80s wasn't someone you would want to mess with. You give him a weapon, and my goodness carnage would ensue.

What The Hell! You thought the Rocky Mountains were big, take a look at these three. Combined weight as a Cadillac in the first three men here. We have two men over 7 feet tall here. You ever watch the Lord of the Rings, where there is the scene with a cave troll? imagine three of those with weapons to deal with. These men have the potential to destroy eachother and will destroy whoever walks into the ring with them.

I'll probably have to go with Vader here. Andre is huge and probably the strongest here . Big Show is huge aswell and most probably the weakest here. Vader just sticks out in my mind. He was and still is the WWE's biggest big man so what should make a difference here?

DAMN!!! (cue Ron Simmons)

I find this bracket to be the craziest of all. There is too much that can happen in this. I pity anyone else that lands himself in this bracket. Big Show VS Andre is a HUGE matchup, literally, where Andre would prove that he is the best giant.

Vader likely dominates the top half of the bracket, where he meets Andre in finals. THAT is another interesting match. As good as Vader is, I just have to side with Andre. He is just too big, and add weapons to that also. That would just be overkill to about anyone.

Should be good though. Fans will tip these matchups how they wish.

I think what people are failing to take into account is the elevation. How many top notch athletes in other sports are sucking down the oxygen take in Denver during a time out or a stoppage in action. you are dealing with three huge men, and in an atmosphere that is thin. If one of these monsters gets involved in a match with a guy that is comfortable in the hardcore environment, and can wear out one of the big guys, the Super Heavyweights could be in trouble.

Big Show is between a rock and a hard place. While he's big, Andre's bigger and stronger and while he can be vicious at time, Vader's more ruthless. So I see this ending up being a Vader/Andre matchup. Andre was hard to bring down but this is ECW where Vader can unleash his rage and I see a Vader moonsault onto Andre for the victory.

The Big Show and Andre are essentially the same person, but in different eras. My flatmates think he is probably bigger than Andre was and while I'm not as sure about that, I still think that Andre's usual advantages would be neutered against someone bigger who has more experience in violent hardcore matches.

Vader, like Edge, is a huge lock to make it through this round, given the fact that he is going into it in the strongest position, and that he is famed for brutal hardcore encounters.

I can't even see the 4th round gimmick working against him, because in all likelihood he will be facing a giant. There are few gimmick matches that favour heavier competitors, and Vader is far more agile and quick than the other two, leading to the assumption he'd win a ladder match or cage match.

Vader wins this bracket with brutal efficiency.

I don't agree with anyone that says Andre would do well in ECW. Like Shocky said, this is in Denver, and the air is thin. Andre is the most out of shape of the three, and doesn't have any true hardcore experience. He'll mangle a body or two on his way to showdown with one of the other two, but I don't see him lasting long against either.

Big Show has some "ECW" experience, but nothing like what ECW really was. He'll at least walk through the first two rounds, and should go over Andre, but he's still not a favorite over Vader.

Vader has the extreme background, and the mean demeanor to go over anyone that comes up against him, and I personally feel he lucked out by not having to face RVD's fanbase, or Terry Funk's unwillingness to die. He'd be able to beat up anyone larger than him, and fly with anyone smaller. He'll have a hell of a fight ahead of him against either of the other big men, and that should only help to prepare him for the gimmick matches.

Wow, what are the odds? Three of the greatest SHWs of all time all in the same region... and that region is ECW. Both Big Show and Vader have been known to be brutal ans sadistic when they need to be. Poor Andre, had this been WWE he would be the favorite. In ECW he barely stands a chance. I'd say it's a close race between Vader and Show to win this region.

IrishCanadian must be kicking himself. ALl of the superheavyweights that he supports are in on sub-region.

I'm not sure why everyone seems to be discounting The Big Show. Show is comparable in size and strength to Andre and he is quite fast and agile, but not quite like Vader. The favorite should be The Big Show.

IrishCanadian must be kicking himself. ALl of the superheavyweights that he supports are in on sub-region. .

I was just thinking that same thing :lmao: If only Yokozuna had been in this sub-region...

But this is probably the most interesting bracket so far....
Andre is actually the biggest out of these, but he was never more that a big guy who kicked the crap out of each other, Vader was genuinely athletic, so I'm going with Vader on this one cause he has the speed advantage... Boy,that sounds strange.
And Big show.... meh.

The location favour Vader, not just because it's his home, but he's in better shape than the dark horse of the region in Andre.

That being said, I'd like to point out that the faster guys will suffer from the altitude worse than these guys, simply because they can afford to take it slow. The smaller guys need to use their speed against these three and that will wear THEM out faster than Vader.

I think Andre's weakness is the region. He was never much of brawler, and the speed of Show and Vader in comparison will negate the power behind his use of weapons.

Show and Vader will be the final pairing, and I think Vader is bad-ass enough to overpower the Show. It won't be pretty, but it will be close.

Big Show is meh, I'm really not a fan of his. And I think on any given day, Andre and Vader could beat him, so I'll take him out of the running now. I'm surprised Vader is that high up on the lists actually. But he does have quite a strong fan base on these forums, which I assume Irish had something to do with. Vader vs. Andre will be the final, and it'd be a great match. I can't actually decide who should win this one.

Once this region fills out i'd be willing to bet this will be the region with the most combined weight, and probably in this city, that it is not good to be a super heavyweight in. With that said we got Vadar, Show, and Andre all in one subregion. I've never found alot interesting about Andre other than his size. I believe Vadar and Show are superior athletically. Add in weapons, i think Vadar and Show could get nasty in this region. I'll be interested to see how the rest of this region fills out. A guy who i could see as a huge threat if he ends up in this region is Sabu. If he's not in this region, i think it comes down to Vadar and Big Show.

Lex Luger!
[youtube]q9fSlJfeXLk[/youtube]​

This sub-region just took a great twist for anyone hoping the likes of Vader, or any other "really big" man wouldn't make it. Lex Luger is the true Giant killer.

He's racked the Big Show, to the point of causing him to submit. He's faced Vader in his prime, and won. He'd likely be capable of matching up favorable against Andre' The Giant. He did what Hulk Hogan couldn't, and that's bodyslam Yokozuna. Lex Luger is the new odds on favorite in this sub-region, he has to be.

Luger has everything, and regardless what time period you look at Luger from, he's always been "The Total Package". The only way I see Luger losing this, is out of people voting for the "more popular" pick. I firmly and definately believe noone else stands a chance in this sub-region. Lex Luger is now firmly got my vote.

Denver Element: Originally, I thought that the place would favor Vader, as I thought Vader was from Colorado. (could be wrong) But I'm now indifferent to all of that, as Lex Luger won't expend as much wind and energy as the bigger guys. Luger is well conditioned to compete in this type of environment.

This sub-region just took a great twist for anyone hoping the likes of Vader, or any other "really big" man wouldn't make it. Lex Luger is the true Giant killer.

It definitely has gotten more interesting. The downfall I see for Luger, is the extreme environment. If the match stays in the ring, he has a chance, because there's not much Vader could do to take him out of his element. He's smart enough to know that, but the SHWs are all smart enough to know what they need to do as well.

He's racked the Big Show, to the point of causing him to submit. He's faced Vader in his prime, and won. He'd likely be capable of matching up favorable against Andre' The Giant. He did what Hulk Hogan couldn't, and that's bodyslam Yokozuna. Lex Luger is the new odds on favorite in this sub-region, he has to be.

I've said all over these forums that the Torture Rack is terribly under-rated, but it'll be a tough move to pull off on the big men, especially in Denver, and especially with extreme rules. If he gets beat badly enough with the right weapon(s), it'll be tough to pick up anyone, much less a SHW.

Luger has everything, and regardless what time period you look at Luger from, he's always been "The Total Package". The only way I see Luger losing this, is out of people voting for the "more popular" pick. I firmly and definately believe noone else stands a chance in this sub-region. Lex Luger is now firmly got my vote.

I said it about Shawn, and I'll say it about Luger. He's not used to the extreme environment, and it is a huge disadvantage. His only true equalizer is the Rack, and I've already covered why that may be tough. His "Flying Forearm" is going to be mostly ineffective against 500-600 pound men who can catch him and snap him over their knee. He stands as good a chance as any, but he needs to get through Vader before thinking about Andre or the Show.

Denver Element: Originally, I thought that the place would favor Vader, as I thought Vader was from Colorado. (could be wrong) But I'm now indifferent to all of that, as Lex Luger won't expend as much wind and energy as the bigger guys. Luger is well conditioned to compete in this type of environment.

How can you say he'll use the Torture Rack to win, but won't expend as much energy? Even if he does it once, if they don't submit, it'll be twice as hard to pick them up a second time. He better hope he can adapt to extreme rules, and get them hurt before he attempts to finish them off.

Luger does indeed add an element of a twist here. He's stron enough to rack Vader. He got the Giant up before so he can get Vader up. He beat a lot of big men, and that's going to play in his favor. Can he beat Vader? Yes. Will he? I'd be very suprised. Lex was good, Vader was great. This might be asking too much, but all of a sudden Vader isn't invincible anymore.

It definitely has gotten more interesting. The downfall I see for Luger, is the extreme environment. If the match stays in the ring, he has a chance, because there's not much Vader could do to take him out of his element. He's smart enough to know that, but the SHWs are all smart enough to know what they need to do as well.

In saying that, you're almost implying that Lex Luger is stupid enough to follow them into the "Lion's Den". Luger doesn't have to follow them anywhere, and he's smart enough to realize this.

Look at how Luger overcame the odd's of the number's game against the n.W.o. He didn't chase them, he let them come to him, and he dealt with them with force upon entry. He can use that same advantage against any Super Heavyweight who tucks tail and runs for a weapon.

Luger doesn't have to follow them, and both men get a breather if neither engage in chase. The only difference is, the guy (SHW) who runs out to grab a weapon, has to manage to find their way back in.. and Luger can stop them, then get the weapon to boot.

I've said all over these forums that the Torture Rack is terribly under-rated, but it'll be a tough move to pull off on the big men, especially in Denver, and especially with extreme rules. If he gets beat badly enough with the right weapon(s), it'll be tough to pick up anyone, much less a SHW.

Luger has racked Big Show on multiple occasions, in multiple points during the same match. His endurance and pain tolerance are above average. He's shown great strength both through his power, and his ability to withstand huge amounts of punishment.

Because of that, weapons and the Denver effect will take a place, but it'll effect all the others before Luger.

I said it about Shawn, and I'll say it about Luger. He's not used to the extreme environment, and it is a huge disadvantage. His only true equalizer is the Rack, and I've already covered why that may be tough. His "Flying Forearm" is going to be mostly ineffective against 500-600 pound men who can catch him and snap him over their knee. He stands as good a chance as any, but he needs to get through Vader before thinking about Andre or the Show.

Lex Luger is in-un himself, an illegal object. His "Flying Forearm" was mentioned to having a metal plate in it. I don't know if that was ever a "gimmick" or real, but either way, it should play a role since it was mentioned of him having it.

Luger doesn't even need to leave the ring to use it, either. So dispite not being a hardcore wrestler, it doesn't mean he doesn't have his own weapons.

And how exactly would they "break Luger over their knee"? He uses that forearm in a surprise fashion. They often don't see it coming, and by the time they do, they're suddenly out cold.

How can you say he'll use the Torture Rack to win, but won't expend as much energy? Even if he does it once, if they don't submit, it'll be twice as hard to pick them up a second time. He better hope he can adapt to extreme rules, and get them hurt before he attempts to finish them off.

In a hardcore environment, who's to say Luger will ever need to use it more than once? If he slaps it on early enough, he can hold them in it until they either submit, or he loses strength. And the rack is more unbearable than a fat guy on your shoulders, especially when you have adrenaline rushing through your vains.

Luger does indeed add an element of a twist here. He's stron enough to rack Vader. He got the Giant up before so he can get Vader up. He beat a lot of big men, and that's going to play in his favor. Can he beat Vader? Yes. Will he? I'd be very suprised. Lex was good, Vader was great. This might be asking too much, but all of a sudden Vader isn't invincible anymore.

I'm not quite sure where you get your comparison. Luger has defeated some of the very best, when they were in more of their prime than when Vader beat them.

Luger's also defeated Hulk Hogan, when he was at the top of his best as a heel, in the n.W.o., fighting off an entire faction to do so.

The only surprise that'll happen, is Luger getting a screw job through votes. But I digress. I shall eagerly await Irish's defense of Vader, against the new (what I believe to be) dominate force, in this sub-region.

I wish I could pluck Luger out of this region and put Rey Mysterio in, just so he could look at the squashing that is about to take place.

But it's amazing, isn't it? Three of the 5 or 6 greatest SHW's of all time in a stretch of 16 spots in a 256 wrestler tournament? Holy hell.

I don't see how this comes down to anyone other than Vader vs Andre. Wight is legit, and Luger has the power, but Andre in his prime was enough of a legend to dispatch the slower Paul Wight (yes, Andre in his prime was FAR faster than Wight in his, and bigger too), and Vader is the fastest, most agile, and most brutal SHW in history. If Lex had trouble with Yokozuna, now he's got a guy who can match him in speed. And that "bionic elbow" will be useless - Vader was in a Texas Death Match with Cactus Jack, so he's been hit with hard shit before.

Holy S*** this is difficult to call. Andre will beat Show and vader squashes Luger but what happens when those two meat up in an ECW ring. For one Vader is experienced with weapons but Andre is soooooooooooo strong plus with a weapon=oh crap. I have to go with Vader on this one. The Moonsault conquers all.

I'm going to have to stick with Andre in this. Vader is a ridiculously powerful, violent big man, but all of his size advantages are negated against either Big Show or Andre. At the end of the day, Big Show may have the most experience in this environment, but Andre wins. Andre was dominant beyond dominant, and that was before he had a weapon. Can you imagine the carnage if he gets his hands on a barbed wire baseball bat?

To anyone that was behind Luger; Can you possibly be happy with the draw Finlay got? There's not many that are smarter in the ring, and there's no one else that carries their own shillelagh with them at all times. Luger can out-muscle him, but like Finlay used to say, he loves to fight. This is an environment that he can accustom to a lot faster than Lex, and a match he should win, under ECW rules.

I still don't think he can match anything with Vader's size. I saw that strap match against Sting, and know that he can take a pretty bad beating. I'll stick with Vader as my favorite, but Finlay is a definite darkhorse here. If he can beat Vader, he can beat Andre or Show.

EDIT: I was just reading up on some stuff for Inoki, and saw that Andre and him had a 23 minute MMA match in the mid-70's. I knew Andre was more agile, and had great matches then, but I never knew toughness like that was there. I'll put him over Big Show, but I don't know if I can see him going over Vader still.

Vader benefits of getting paired with potentially the worst of the 2nd round guys. Sean Waltman is terrible, either as Syxx, the 1,2,3 Kid or X-Pac, he's just awful. Finlay vs. Luger should be a brutal fight, and both men could give Vader a run for his money. In fact, i think Luger might be the dark horse to win this entire region. He can rack any man in this region, and that Steel Plate in the Forearm is might fine and Legal in this region.

As far as the bottom half, I'm not sure. Andre lost in Round 1 in year one to Raven in the ECW Region. The fans simply don't think he can adapt to a hardcore environment. He could potentially be facing a brute in Bobby Lashley, and Lashley very well could pull of the upset. Dory Funk could very well pull of an upset against the Big Show, but it's doubtful at this point.

This could possibly be any combination of Vader/Luger vs. Show/Lashley, and it's hard to pick a clear cut winner, but I think Luger very well could come out of here.

Sean Waltman just got fucked worse than he did by Chyna. :lmao: First, the guy was never going to get the credit he deserved as an actual decent wrestler to begin with. But to place him in the E.C.W. region, with almost every known big man there is.. is just over-fucking-kill.

I said it once I realized he was here, and I'm sticking with what I said. Lex Luger should take this. Vader is big and bad, but Luger is smart and crafty. And unlike Edge, Luger has more than enough power to match, if not top, Vader. Luger won't play Vader's game of leaving the ring. He's too smart for that.

Luger will wait it out, until Vader returns. Sure, if something like that were to happen, each individual would get almost endless amounts of "rest-breaks", but it'd cut Vader off from being able to use any weapons, as he'd never be capable of re-entering the ring with one, before Luger would cut him off, then have a weapon literally brought to him to use against Vader.

Bobby Lashley might very well be a wildcard on the bottom half of this, but I still think the Big Show is silent enough, yet deadly enough, to be feared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back