• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Zack Ryder: Is He THAT Good?

Ferreira

SORRY! About you damn luck!
ZackRyder.png

I don't get it. The guy isn't charismatic at all, I could pull off the gimmick if I wanted to. All I had to say is "Woo Woo Woo You Know It" or "Spike your Hair" and the whole Internet Wrestling Community would have a giant orgasm.

Is the guy funny? Sometimes. I don't want to bash him, he is trying to get over on his own way, I get it. Congratulations, he is doing it. But is him that good? I don't think so. His match skills are nothing spectacular, his mic skills aren't better than any of the top midcarders of both rosters and the whole gimmick isn't funny at all. What separates him from, let's say, Jack Swagger? Well, Jack Swagger is way better in-ring than him, Swagger on the mic isn't that good with the whole speech problem he has, but overall he isn't at all inferior to Ryder.

Would Zack Ryder be over if not for his videos? No, I'm sure as hell he would have been fired by now. Does the company and big names like Vince McMahon care about him? Maybe not.

So tell me, why should I care or even like Zack Ryder? I don't have anything against him, I just don't get it.

I just want to know why almost all of you are behind him and his gimmick.

I cant speak for anyone else but this is why i like zack.

He is one of the first guys in the history of the buisness to my knowledge to merely get himself over by himself without WWE to push him. His YouTube show is written by him and is very entertaining and well made for a show made in his house. In the ring he is talented and had a great series of matches with christian back on ECW. His passion for wrestling is so clearly on display anytime you see him and you can tell that he loves and cherishes performing in the ring. There isnt many around at the moment in the E who have a true fanboy attitude that zack does and i think that resonates with the fans.

its entirely up to you wether you want to like him or not and i agree he isnt a amazing once in a life time talent that some people make him out to be but he is good enough to be on tv and good enough to be given that chance to shine.

He's built up a rep to get noticed and for that he deserves to be on tv more, but at the same time IMO anyways he's nothing special. Has a mediocre Youtube show and really that's about it. Santino has way more personality and charisma.

Well he sure is enthusiastic about his character, it looks like it has a connection to his everyday life. The fact that hes not that special in the ring or on the mic and hes still over is just a testament to what the fans want to see. They want to have fun with it, its not all serious like some of the IWC members are.

I kind of like Zack Ryder. He seems genuinely comfortable with his character and has done everything that he can to get it over. Considering that he's had little to no television time in many months, he's done an extremely good job in doing that. It shows real initiative.

When it comes Ryder in the ring, the guy has talent and usually puts on solid matches. He's young, athletic and has the ability to put on entertaining matches. On the mic, he can be a little annoying. He essentially has the same gimmick that Robbie E. has in TNA, only Ryder was doing it long before he showed up and does it 10 times better while not making me wanna change the channel.

Is he quite as good as lots of internet fans proclaim him to be? Not in my opinion. He has the potential to be a big star at some point in the future but, as of right now, he's at least a little overrated like most internet darlings.

The better question is why should we care if you like him or not? If you don't like him, you don't like him; simple as that. Asking what people see in him won't change that.

But onto the topic at hand, I like the guy but I don't really see myself in the Zack Ryder mark territory. He has quite a large fanbase, in my opinion, considering he gets little to no tv time. He's decent on the mic and in the ring, once again, considering the little tv time he gets.

I like ryder because he wasn't just gonna sit back and let his career die, he didn't just go on twitter and whine about it, he DID something about it, he took advantage of the social media age that we're in, and got himself over. Something that you just don't see anymore, especially in this age where Vince despises anybody getting over if it wasn't thanks to him, he had the balls to put himself out there like that anyway, and it paid off, I feel like ryder did something that's unprecedented, and in this day and age, that's something to be respected.

The better question is why should we care if you like him or not? If you don't like him, you don't like him; simple as that. Asking what people see in him won't change that.

But onto the topic at hand, I like the guy but I don't really see myself in the Zack Ryder mark territory. He has quite a large fanbase, in my opinion, considering he gets little to no tv time. He's decent on the mic and in the ring, once again, considering the little tv time he gets.

Because otherwise what's the point of coming on a forum to discuss wrestling...

I'm not a huge fan of Ryder's ring work. I'm not a fan of the gimmick at all either to be honest. I do however think he deserves a chance because he's doing something different and making opportunities for himself rather than sitting moaning in the back getting released and then shooting on how HHH held him back etc etc. Plus he seems a decent bloke from the interviews I've heard him in, okay interview I heard him in.

He managed to get himself out there without the WWE's help, I think that's pretty damn respectable. I also thought he was overhyped but he's actually a real nice and cool guy.

Who knows.....Cena started off with a ridiculous "thug" character (before they started letting him do the rapping)...with Bull Buchanon I believe. This "broski" character kinda reminds me of that start.

If they give him a chance, I could see him getting to that Dolph Ziggler/ Kofi Kingston level. Maybe even higher.

Here is what people don't realize, alot of good talent started as a tag team guy, Ryder then when split from Hawkins actually had a thing going especially when brought over to ECW, he was totally over, about as over as Christian at the time. And here is the thing about Ryder is he is different. Think about this Zack Ryder has unique ring attire, amd this weird personality trait, then his ring skills while not very well showcased, he can put on quality matches, and even though he may have had to be carried in the past by Christian I think in a real position on the roster he will be a great asset as a fresh change to the title pictures...

I dont think Ryder is amazing, but you can tell he loves what he does and is working his ass off to get there.

Plus he is not bad to watch. I think that with some work and a solid push, maybe a real match (not like the cole match) he could get better and start to progress.

Zack Ryder is good - but depending on who you listen to, it varies.

Ryder has solid in-ring skills, I've watched many of his matches on WWE Superstars and he is pretty solid, nothing special though. His microphone skills are probably some of the best within the WWE. He is one of these people who seemingly lives his character, and that helps get across a natural instinct in his promos and his videos. He has a decent in-ring presence, but nobody is going to really get excited over a Zack Ryder match, because he isn't that good at being consistent.

Now, this is what varies. You listen to the Ryder marks who are for this - Ryder Revolution, and you'll be told that Zack Ryder is the best thing since sliced bread.

In the eyes of the Ryder marks, in a typical mark fashion, he's a great wrestler and can carry almost everyone, he can sell better than anyone and he has a consistency level which matches not even God himself. His microphone work is better than The Rock and Cena combined, his charisma is Godly and he could draw ants to the sun with it. Zack Ryder is the best of the best and nobody can misplace him, he should be the WWE Champion.

Above me is a falacy, it is delusional. Zack Ryder is decent, solid in most departments at best with his key element being his speech. Ryder doesn't have great showmanship, he isn't The Rock and he isn't one of the best things to come into wrestling since whoever. He's a guy, who people like, has a pretty successful YouTube show and now he's finally getting a push.

Zack Ryder is good, but he is not that good by any means.

Zack Ryder is skilled enough to be a major player in WWE. I have always stated that if you switch the pushes of Miz and Ryder, that Ryder would be the more entertaining overall. The man can wrestle a great deal and is charismatic enough to take a character and run with it as he is doing.

He has gotten over by being himself and showing his passion for wrestling via his Youtube skits. Something that WWE management should realize as he could be a major player for them. Ryder is talented enough to be a very good Main Event player.

I ask because I want to know what people find as appealing in his persona. I have nothing against the guy, I just don't know why so much hype around him.

And if people have different opinions why can't we just discuss them politely? I'm not saying kill Ryder because I don't like him. I'm just trying to find out why people like him, why people are supporting him so much. I care about the guy, I care about the industry.

I understand that he has merit to be working on his own trying to build himself up and push himself to super stardom, and I'm proud of him and of his work, but outside of that I don't think there is much that he has to offer, unfortunately I think his gimmick will run is course sooner or later.

PS: How sad, Ryder fans have rep me. How can I manage the pain?!?!? :(

Personally I feel Zack could do something if he had the opportunity. I think he works well on the mic, which is one of the most important things you need to be considered main event material. But one thing he needs work on is his ring work, which is a little sloppy at the time, botching moves here and there. With work, he can fix his in-ring ability and he can go places.

He can also work well with a lot of the talent there now. Randy Orton, John Cena. All of those guys seem like they'd look fantastic going up against Zack in a feud. Their gimmicks just seem like they'd match up into a good feud.

One of the biggest things you need in the main events is a fan base, and Zack Ryder created a fan base on his own....outside of TV. Some may call it cheap, some may call it desperate, but I think it was very resourceful, and will really help him in the end to come. He's already established a fan base...with a fan base he can get pushed far enough. The only problem is, there's too many guys in line right now for that big bush, Zack deserves something, but not over guys like Kofi Kingston.

Although Zack Ryder has spent a lot of time in the company, since around 2007-2008 where he teamed with Curt Hawkins and became and Edge-head. With a different gimmick other than the Jersey Shore-Broski deal he's got going on right now, he could very well be considered main event material in my eyes.

I don't get it. The guy isn't charismatic at all, I could pull off the gimmick if I wanted to. All I had to say is "Woo Woo Woo You Know It" or "Spike your Hair" and the whole Internet Wrestling Community would have a giant orgasm.

When you put guys like John Morrison out there the contrast is stunning.

His match skills are nothing spectacular, his mic skills aren't better than any of the top midcarders of both rosters and the whole gimmick isn't funny at all.

Compared to someone like David Otunga, who actually gets TV time, Ryder is good in the ring. As far as mic skills not being any better than any of the top midcarders, I gotta throw out John Morrison again, with Kofi Kingston included.

What separates him from, let's say, Jack Swagger? Well, Jack Swagger is way better in-ring than him, Swagger on the mic isn't that good with the whole speech problem he has, but overall he isn't at all inferior to Ryder.
Besides TV time and a WHC reign? Bad comparison.

So tell me, why should I care or even like Zack Ryder? I don't have anything against him, I just don't get it.

I just want to know why almost all of you are behind him and his gimmick.

You don't have to, not everybody is gonna like him. I think he's decent and worthy of some spotlight every now and then.

Zack deserves something, but not over guys like Kofi Kingston.

That is just absurd.. Kofi cant put together 2 believable sentences on the mic.. and if were going to take a stab at Zack's in ring work lets not forget about Kofi botcha spot monkey routine which isnt any better.

I like Zack because he took it upon himself to get himself over without the help of anyone.. and that gets a hell of a lot of respect from me.. because like someone said.. he didnt just rot in the back waiting to get released to do a shoot interview on some site about Triple H.

..and what better way for us to believe in his character then for him to practically live it 24/7 ? The guy plays the part extremely well.

now even though I like the guy Im far from being a brainless mark and definitely do see where he can make some improvements.. mostly in ring.. but to say guys like Kofi are anymore deserving then Zack is nonsense..

..What exactly did Kofi do to deserve anything? If you can ask that question about Zack Ryder.. you can ask it about 75% of the locker room. At least Zack took the initiative to get his character off the ground.

It will be interesting to see how the next month plays out for the WWE.. do they continue with this 'reality era' movement their doing and give guys like Punk and Ryder their chance? or do they fuck everything up and stay content with their 3.2 rating and call it a day... Lets hope for the good of all of us and the business that they shoot for the moon.

I can respect Ryder for getting over on his own, and that's to be commended. At the same time, I don't believe there's anything incredible about Ryder. I do think he's as good as anyone else in the mid-card right now and deserves to be on TV and doing something with his potential, which he certainly wasn't. So he definitely deserves a chance, which he wasn't being given before.

He's not phenomenal, but he could certainly be an asset to the roster. He's good in the ring, he's got fine mic skills (especially compared to some others), and his gimmick works for him. I don't see him as a top level star or even a future World champion, but he definitely has a place on the roster and belongs there. I wish they'd also give a chance to others, too.. like his former partner, Curt Hawkins, whose look and ability I actually like better. Or Jack Swagger, who deserves more then he's being given right now.

Seriously IWC are we really wanting to give this guy a push. efore his internet thing nobody cared or wanted to see him. You know why he is not that good. I will give him props for getting himself noticed ( to say get him over is absurd, he is only internet over) He didnt get a big pop on Raw or smackdown for someone who is to be as over as people claim.

Can I see his character getting boring yes, most internet fans have short memories then its on to the next guy. zach Ryder with all this so called fan fare is a midcard half jobber at best like Santino. He is there for us to laugh not to take seriously.

He put himself over through the Internet and became some sort of sensation so I guess that earned him a spot on TV, I mean why not use that popularity? However, he has proven nothing to be considered anything special. I personally don`t mind him but it is not as if I give him too much important, his buzz will eventually die. But who knows, maybe if given his chance, he`ll pull something else. But gimmick wise, in terms of character or even in ring ability, there is anything that shows potential big player. Some people certainly overate him, big time. It is not as if he got any big reception on raw. He is sympathetic but more than that?? I don`t see it.

Seriously IWC are we really wanting to give this guy a push. efore his internet thing nobody cared or wanted to see him. You know why he is not that good. I will give him props for getting himself noticed ( to say get him over is absurd, he is only internet over) He didnt get a big pop on Raw or smackdown for someone who is to be as over as people claim.

Can I see his character getting boring yes, most internet fans have short memories then its on to the next guy. zach Ryder with all this so called fan fare is a midcard half jobber at best like Santino. He is there for us to laugh not to take seriously.

You sir have hit the nail directly on the head. Zack Ryder is simply the latest IWC fad that will run its course in due time. It's been said by many already, the man has the ability to wrestle. That part of the equation has never been in question. He would never have been hired, or remain employed, if that wasn't the case.

I also saw a couple mentions of him "living his character." Is that really something that is admirable about him? Consider the merits and basis of his character. Would you want to be associated with a man like that in your actual life? His character is delusional, self-centered, and arrogant to the highest level.

In regards to his "show", some people have failed to realize that they are being manipulated. He is playing to the one section of wrestling fans who would fall for it-the IWC. Clearly his gimmick will never get over with the vast majority of wrestling fans, so he plays off the IWC's prejudices and willingness to reject what is on top at the time. Ryder presents himself as "something different", when in reality he's not. He is one of many wrestlers who simply doesn't have the necessary tools to become a top tier guy. So he throws out a few insider terms and plays the victim, which gives him a small group of people who buy into him being something special.

I won't attempt to deny anyone their right to cheer for whoever they want. If you enjoy Zack Ryder, to each their own. However, the fanatics who beg and plead for a major push are so out of touch with reality that it's sad. Honestly, can you truly picture Zack Ryder in the main event battling for a world championship? Of course not, which is the very reason he isn't and never will.

Honestly, can you truly picture Zack Ryder in the main event battling for a world championship? Of course not, which is the very reason he isn't and never will.

I agree with what your saying... I could never see him as world champion and the face of the company.. but lets be honest.. how many guys can you picture in this role? Guys who wear the WWE belt for good runs.. the face(s) of the company.. these are one of a kind guys.. Ryder definitely doesnt fall into this category...

but I 100% think he could be a good IC or US champ. From what I can see the WWE is starting to put together some credibility for the US and Tag Team titles.. Im sure they want to do the same for the IC belt.

Zack Ryder definitely does deserve his spot with the better mid carders.

I agree with what your saying... I could never see him as world champion and the face of the company.. but lets be honest.. how many guys can you picture in this role? Guys who wear the WWE belt for good runs.. the face(s) of the company.. these are one of a kind guys.. Ryder definitely doesnt fall into this category...

but I 100% think he could be a good IC or US champ. From what I can see the WWE is starting to put together some credibility for the US and Tag Team titles.. Im sure they want to do the same for the IC belt.

Zack Ryder definitely does deserve his spot with the better mid carders.
And do you think is good business to keep a wrestler just because he can be a good midcarder? I don't think so. I think World Wrestling Entertainment should focus on hiring guys or at least giving them characters that they picture as possible main-eventers.

Vince McMahon wont hire you if he feels you will never make it to the top. Because that's all it matters. Being the top guy. Nobody gets in this industry wanting to be second best, or being the best out of the bad.

This is not only Ryder related but also Kofi Kingston who will never make it, and a lot of other wrestlers on the company. Sure, you can have guys like Marella which by the way isn't funny at all, that won't be main-eventers, but you can't fill the roster with midcarders and not have enough potential to make a new generation of top dogs.

I love how everyone always seems to know everything when it comes to wrestling, especially the IWC. No, I'm not saying I know everything... I'm just saying that people need to throw some other things in before they judge or make a claim that they swear will come true. Like I remember when EVERYBODY on these forums said that it was only a matter of time before The Miz was going to be "future endeavored" after he was separated from John Morrison in the draft. Heh, guess what didn't happen? But anyways...

Before we get into why or why not you should like Zack Ryder or even believe whether or not he can be a main eventer, mid card, or jobber? Let's look at a brief history shall we?

First of all, he's become a much better performer overall since the days of being an Edgehead. After all, Edge (from an old wrestlezone report) really felt and believed that he could go off to do bigger and better things. Which if I remember reading correctly, it was Edge who mentioned that Ryder should become a singles competitor because with some fine-tuning he could be much more. (Remember how horrid The Boogeyman was? Booker T. convinced the WWE to rehire him and let Booker help train him. After that The Boogeyman was still not that great in the ring, but he had improved slightly. So established superstars do have a voice when it comes to the younger talents) Anyways, so Zack Ryder was drafted over to ECW. Lets be honest, the WWE once they feel a tag team has run it's course? They separate them and one of them goes on to do bigger and better things. The WWE obviously saw Ryder as the better of the two because in just a few short weeks Zack was on ECW having matches while Curt Hawkins was shipped back to development. While on ECW, Ryder had some solid matches and had a great run. He was getting legit heat from the crowd (more annoyed heat than actual hating heat....kinda like Abraham Washington who was...well just awful), he came up with his new gimmick complete with catchphrases and even a new finishing move (the Zack Attack), and he eventually moved up to being one of the main eventers of the ECW brand. He won that over the top battle royal to become #1 contender remember? He was also the same guy Tommy Dreamer put over in his last match.

And what happened? ECW went bye-bye and they shipped talent off to Raw and Smackdown. I personally hoped he would have gone to Smackdown because Raw was crowded enough as it is. Simply put, he got lost in the Raw shuffle. Just like Evan Bourne did. Just like Drew McIntyre is now. Which is sad, because they're all solid performers. So what does Zack do? He gets himself over using the internet. Something NOBODY has ever done before which alone is refreshing and new. It's also clear that the guy understands that the most successful gimmicks and guys who go on to become main eventers? Have gimmicks that are extentions of their own personalities. So he stays in character on his internet shows and even brings out some of his true self with his sense of humor. (Humor, you know that thing that took Santino Marella and Mr. Kennedy to a whole new level of popularity?)

Am I a Zack Ryder mark? No. I'm not a mark for anyone. In fact nobody should be marks really. It's all about personal opinions and facts. When he was getting more tv time on ECW? The guy was working his way up the roster and improving every week. Now that he's on Raw it's come to almost a standstill but the guy decided not to rot backstage and actually try and get himself over. He's always been solid in the ring (with room for improvement of course), he's fairly good on the mic (again, with room for improvement), and his gimmick is an extension of his own personality and it's getting him over. I think that he could be a GREAT upper-mid carder with the US or IC title and if he continues to improve, gets more Raw time, and runs with it? He could probably get himself over enough to be a main eventer just like The Miz did. (Who remember years ago, EVERYONE hated and nobody ever thought would amount to anything) Whether you like him or not? He's come a pretty long way from where he was and has technically done something nobody in the history of the WWE has done before. Get himself over using the internet. I think that alone? The guy deserves some credit and an opportunity to show us what he can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back