Your life to save another?

Trill Co$by

Believes in The Shield!
I was watching Kick-Ass earlier today, as well as discussing the acts of Jesus prior to that, and throughout the entire day I stopped and thought to myself... Jesus sacrificed himself to pay for sins that weren't made by one man but by mankind. He didn't ask for anything in return, he just did it out of good spirit. In the movie Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass himself intervenes in a guy's mugging and nearly gets his ass beat for it even after a mugger asked him "You're willing to die for some piece of shit that you don't even know?"

And then it hit me just how courageous the men and women who fight for their countries truly are... because they too fight to keep the people of their countries safe, most of those people they don't even know.

Now, as I sit here typing this and thinking of whether or not I could do something courageous, I have to ask the question.

If you were ever caught in a moment where you could give your life to prolong the life of another man, woman, child, or even animal... would you do it? With all of the responsibilities you owe to yourself and your families, could you still sacrifice your life for their life to continue? I'm not talking about to save a family member's life, because I'm pretty sure we'd all do that... But I mean like, if you saw some random guy who was just ready to be shot, would you risk your life to save theirs?

I get it, this is one of those questions that some people don't have to think about but some people do.

Another reason that I ask this is because recently I've been positively ID'd as a match to someone who really needs a new kidney... and I have no idea who this person even is. I don't know if this person is a sinner or a saint, nor an adult or child... I just know that right now, I have the chance to sacrifice my kidney (and ultimately my life) to save the life of another. And as much as I really want to be able to be this person's hero, I can honestly say that if it meant leaving my son behind, I don't know if I could do that...

I was watching Kick-Ass earlier today, as well as discussing the acts of Jesus prior to that, and throughout the entire day I stopped and thought to myself... Jesus sacrificed himself to pay for sins that weren't made by one man but by mankind. He didn't ask for anything in return, he just did it out of good spirit. In the movie Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass himself intervenes in a guy's mugging and nearly gets his ass beat for it even after a mugger asked him "You're willing to die for some piece of shit that you don't even know?"

And then it hit me just how courageous the men and women who fight for their countries truly are... because they too fight to keep the people of their countries safe, most of those people they don't even know.

Now, as I sit here typing this and thinking of whether or not I could do something courageous, I have to ask the question.

If you were ever caught in a moment where you could give your life to prolong the life of another man, woman, child, or even animal... would you do it? With all of the responsibilities you owe to yourself and your families, could you still sacrifice your life for their life to continue? I'm not talking about to save a family member's life, because I'm pretty sure we'd all do that... But I mean like, if you saw some random guy who was just ready to be shot, would you risk your life to save theirs?

I get it, this is one of those questions that some people don't have to think about but some people do.

Another reason that I ask this is because recently I've been positively ID'd as a match to someone who really needs a new kidney... and I have no idea who this person even is. I don't know if this person is a sinner or a saint, nor an adult or child... I just know that right now, I have the chance to sacrifice my kidney (and ultimately my life) to save the life of another. And as much as I really want to be able to be this person's hero, I can honestly say that if it meant leaving my son behind, I don't know if I could do that...

First thing I want to say is, you don't die from donating a kidney. I don't know if you simply typed something incorrectly, or you meant it in another way, but what you're saying is that you could donate your kidney to save someone, but you would die in return. Unless you have some other circumstances, you can live a normal life with one kidney, you don't need both of them.

As for saving someone else, no I don't think I would at this point, I'm young and I have many years ahead of me. If I were an old or older man and it was a young person, I might consider it more because the trade seems to be favourable overall, but at this time, no. I'd put myself in harms way, but it was clearly my own life for someone else's, I wouldn't do it.

I think it would depend on who the other person was. I would like to claim that I would act all noble and shit regardless, but it would be a blatant lie. If I wanted to risk my life for total strangers, I would have become a cop or fireman. However, yeah. There are a few non-family members that I would take a bullet for.

And Salv is right...generally speaking, you don't die from being a kidney donor.

Like Davi said, it would really depend on who the person was. If it was a random guy like you mentioned before, I know I won't - unless something just takes me over and I end up actually risking my own life by reflex or something. But the chances for that sort of thing is very little, being the one with the slow reflex actions in my family. :p So yes, like mentioned above - it would be very nice to be able to say that I would put my life at stake for another just like that, but that would make me a phony.

I'm quite surprised that everyone has admitted they'd save themselves, as many people would pretend that they'd give their life in an instant. I know of a few who I truly believe would, and they are some of the best people I know. But personally, short of my children/loved ones being in danger, I don't think I'd be able to jump in front of a bullet to save someone else. I mean, I also believe you don't know what your exact reaction would be until you were in the situation but I can't think of a situation in which I would do so for a stranger.

The reason? I'm a selfish person. My children are my world, and I know how much my death would affect them, regardless of anything. While I could die and feel nothing afterwards, the thought of them being in that much pain, mourning someone they're that close to, breaks my heart. I'd do anything to protect them from that, and simply could not put myself into a situation that I'd cause it.

As much as we'd all love to say with the utmost confidence that we would, well, we wouldn't. I'm going to try and not sound a rambling Kane here but uh, all humans are born selfish, especially men. Woman, I could believe would sacrifice their life for their child, it's called maternal instinct. But, men? Fuck that, we're all misogynistic, selfish, racist bastard at heart.

We, as humans, are not nice people. We're basically evil (yes, John Cena we are). If everyone just followed their own instincts (which are what we really on in situations like this) without succumbing to peer pressure or the idea of doing what's right the World would be a different place. Could you imagine a caveman helping an old cavewoman with her bones? No, me neither.

Simply put, no, I don't think most humans would save another human's life if it were a decision needed to be made in a split-second. If it were a long decision like giving away a vital organ, I'm sure it would depend on the person, the people they have around them, their age, what they've lived through, etc...

If it was a close family member? Yes. Girlfriend? Yes. One of my best friends? Yes.

Other than that, I don't know. But I think we can all talk on this topic as much as we want, but unless you're in that situation, I honestly don't think any of us can answer accurately.

I personally never want to be in that situation, but if any of the people above were involved, my heart says that I would die for them, regardless of if they'd do it for me. I'd like to think I'm that good of a person that I could do that, but hopefully I, or any of us, will ever have to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back