You will always keep watching....

BestWrestlingOpinions

Getting Noticed By Management
"Oh my god, this PPV was crap, I'm never watching again.... until Monday."
Words that have been said so many times. People just can't quit watching. Obviously, some just don't find interest in pro wrestling anymore, but the die hard fans will keep watching, no matter how bad the show gets. And the reason why is this; there is a possibility that something will happen the next time that catches us completely off guard. It will give us excitement. Example:

-Rollins heel turn. Many people said that WWE sucks after Payback, since Punk isn't coming back, and the PPV was a repeat of Extreme Rules. They had a lot of reasons not to watch Raw. Nothing really big could happen, right? NO. Seth turned heel. That's why it was worth watching. You can read about it on dirt sheets etc and might bring you back interest, but the real fun about it is when you watch it live as it happens.

The exact thing above is why you will never stop watching, except if genuinely disinterested in pro wrestling. As long as people strive for a change, something new, something different, they will keep watching, in hope of catching some "Rollins heel turn" moment.

Was this really necessary? This has been said on these boards and in the comments section of news articles for the past I don't know how many years.

Yea I will keep watching because I'm a fan of wrestling. My advantage is I don't get RAW here, live that is. So I just torrent it and I skip the part I dislike, which is, barring a post-WM Raw or post-big PPV Raw, ~80%. I sometimes have a peek at some of that 80% just for shits and giggles but when I see that something stupid is about to get on my screen for the next 15min I just jump ahead. Latest example would be Sheamus vs Del Rio matches, seen them so many times that I just feel sick watching another one, no matter how solid the match actually is, or the 3.5MB vs Torito + friends shit.

People say stuff like this about any show. Like how people did death threats and I'm-gonna-stop-watching threats after the episode "Red Wedding" in the Game of Thrones series. Please bitch you'll be impatiently waiting for the follow-up next week.

This is the case with almost all shows and making threads about something so mundane just seems lazy. I don't want to sound rude but your thread and your overall perceived tone makes it look like you want to seem superior for saying this to people like it's something new and you're the one to finally tell them and make them feel bad. I'm sorry but again this has been said a million times before, people will always say shit like this and reminding them how superior you are cause you caught them in their lie is not helpful nor does it spark a good conversation/debate about it.

Once a wrestling fan, always a wrestling fan. No matter how shitty the writing is and no matter how far gone we are from the glory days of Attitude... as long as there is someone to root for, we stay. The moment you got on this train, there was no getting off.

The Seth Rollins Heel Turn wasn't unpredictable unless you're not an internet obsessed fan reading each and every article that gets reported by WWE Insiders of future plans of certain superstars. The crowd on there didn't even seem too shocked as there was no interesting reactions honestly. It was like a "Who Cares" vibe feel going on when it happened. People for weeks were talking about how Evolution might have a new member and obviously speculation would stem off it that maybe someone from the Shield might turn heel and join Evolution. So really there's not much that caught you off guard now was there ?? It's the same cycle with the WWE. You can see it coming from a mile away before it happens. The only real big reaction this year was seeing Undertakers streak finish. Now let's see WWE create stars out of today's generation, put them in a heavy storyline which would eventually result in a big reaction. They can't because they suck at it and don't know entertainment anymore.

Jericho91, I feel the crowd has really gotten behind Bray Wyatt since his feud with John Cena. Or how about how well the crowd has gotten behind Roman Reigns during his feud with The Authority? So your argument about lack of making stars out of todays talent is slightly skewed.

OP, I am not sure about the point you're trying to make with this thread. I think all fans get aggravated with the product from time to time. But it doesn't make any sense that you're complaining about the fans complaining.

perhaps it is YOU generalkarim that wants to seem superior. it is YOU who is not only seemingly speaking for everyone,but at the same time telling someone what is and isnt a proper topic of discussion. I mean,seriously,lets not act like these forums are a hotbed of originality.

I liken wrestling to hip hop music. I used to love them both. They both used to be great. Unfortunately,not only have neither been good for some time,they are steadily getting worse. A vague semblance of their former selves. A parody even. Still I check on them both...in hope.

It’s definitely empty threats in a majority of cases when people say that they’ll completely stop watching. I’m sure that at least some people that still watch or follow it do so out of habit more than desire, but at the same time, if they were that disenchanted, the habit would break at some point.

I stopped watching when the NWO showed up in WCW and only came back after seeing CM Punk a couple of years ago. Then The Shield showed up and now Roman is the only reason I still tune in. I usually watch his segments and change the channel. I hate that it's all about the entertainment side and almost none of the wrestling side now. What I wouldn't give to see an hour long match between two decent performers again.

I don't really see it as an obsession. If WWE truly got stale to me, I would quit watching. I've thoroughly enjoyed the program since checking it out in 2012 and can't say there's a moment where I wanted to quit altogether.

People that say they will are just attention seeking pricks who truly believe their opinions matter. If you hated what wrestling has become, flip the channel instead of telling the world you'll quit watching, as if that was some threat. If you hated ex. golf, are you really going to sit through what you hate just to see if anybody gets a hole in one? No. That's stupid. Stahp. You're only punishing yourself.

These people are as bad as those that say they'll unsubscribe to a Youtube channel. They're going out of their way to get noticed. Seems like they need to find something more meaningful in their lives if they feel so fragile over a television program.

The exact thing above is why you will never stop watching, except if genuinely disinterested in pro wrestling. As long as people strive for a change, something new, something different, they will keep watching, in hope of catching some "Rollins heel turn" moment.

This is half of the reason for me. I kept watching despite how bad things got, because something might happen on Raw....! For me one of the darkest times in WWE history was when Miz was WWE Champion. I've been watching for 20+ years and I consider those months to be among the worst things have ever gotten. Someone who never should have been a World Champion in the first place defended his title ON PPV against a retired announcer. It doesn't get any worse than that. Yet, I still kept watching and endured the shows during that time including Wrestlemania 27 (which had horrible build and was one of the worst editions in the brand's history) hoping things would improve and that something might happen. Things improved. I still watch.

The other half of the reason being how long I have been a fan. I have been watching nearly my entire life. 20+ years. Why give up on something that has been a part of my life for so long? The longer you do something and the more you enjoy it, the harder it is to give up on said hobby and walk away from it forever. I've endured a lot of stupid things on WWE shows. Katie Vick. The Hand. Fake Trump VS Fake Rosie. The Guest Hosts. Miz as WWE Champion. Hornswoggle VS Torito. Yet, I keep watching. It would take something HORRIBLE for me to ever quit watching. Miz ending Undertaker's streak would have done it, but with that ship having sailed thanks to Lesnar.... there's really nothing I can think of to make me walk away from the product altogether.

If I had Sky TV at my new house, I'd watch Raw and Smackdown every week. Like others have said, it would be hard to stop watching all together. But at the moment, I don't have Sky, which means I can only watch WWE when I'm round at my parents or by watching clips/streams online when I can find them. I make sure I always check whats going on online though, as I don't want to miss anything exciting. If something big happens, like Rollins' recent heel turn, then I will make sure that I watch it.

I never thought I would still be watching wrestling at 27 years old. People were surprised I was still a fan at 16, and I'd always laugh it off saying "I doubt I'll be watching at 21!", but here I am 11 years later and still a fan (although not as big as I was in 2000-2001). I doubt I'll ever lose interest in wrestling entirely, and when the WWE Network arrives in the UK, I'll probably end up watching more than ever- rewatching all the Raws from the late 90s, all the PPVs from WWF and WCW, ECW Hardcore TV, and alot of the classic matches from before I became a fan that I haven't had the chance to see.

Not necessarily true at all. Watching is a hard addiction to break but the decision is made easier when the programming is this terrible, and I'm thankful that I can say I've crossed that line and I have my Monday nights back because I stopped watching.

The claim you're making is true. One of the last things that will keep a fan tuning in is the possibility that something unexpected is going to happen. But that's kind of a bad sign for the programming in itself. It means your interest is already hanging on by a thread that the only way you can imagine being entertained is if there's a heel turn that night or something akin to the chaos of a Nexus debut.

The entire show should be entertaining. Most of the matches and segments should be things that we don't want to miss, period.

Continuing to watch only out of the fear that you might miss something is a big waste of time. I watched for many weeks with that mindset. Then as it got worse I told myself to at least not miss the third hour because if anything interesting was going to happen, it would probably be at the end. Still, nothing ever happened that made me glad to be watching that third hour.

It's not fair to force the ultimatum that a diehard fan will keep watching and vice versa, that if you've stopped watching you probably weren't a serious fan. I will always be a wrestling fan. WWE is terrible these days and it is possible to stop watching. The 3 hours on Monday nights literally used to give me boredom headaches. It felt like a job to watch a TV show. I'm supposed to be entertained, not checking the clock and groaning when it's only 75 minutes into the broadcast. I haven't been watching since around Extreme Rules and I don't feel like I've missed anything that I regret.

You're right, the hope that you're going to witness some special moment is what will keep a lot of people tuning it for a long time, long after their actual interest in most of the show is actually gone. But it's possible to cut that final thread and lose that fear that you're going to miss something you would have wanted to see. The majority of fans probably will remain the type to say "I'm done watching after this" and then be watching Raw the next night. Some of us do make it out though.

I've had a few moments like this in my life :p back in like 2007-2008 I believe I stopped for a while. Shortly before Punks pipebomb I stopped. And I pretty much stopped from 2012-WMXXX. And really there's not much to tune in for, not an insult to the program I just find a lot of the content to be pretty poor. For example, DBry v. Kane, they were feuding like 2 years ago and they're fighting more? Bray v Cena and Cena won every PPV? Come on! The divas division imo is in shambles from back even in 2006ish let alone the early 2000's.

They have like 6-7 hours of content a week wrestling based right? When I was most interested it was 4...and they were different shows! You could skip smackdown if you wanted! I can't sit through an entire Raw, I'm sorry 3 hours to see midgets wrestle, models wrestle, jobbers wrestle and then Cena/Orton/HHH/etc cut a promo that could have easily been done at any Raw in the last 7 years.

Honestly at this point, this forum is more interesting to me than Raw. It seems every time WWE does something right, they do something wrong the next week to make it hard to watch. I'm not saying I don't like the WWE, it's the same wrestling I've watched on and off since 2004 but that's the problem.

I kind of watch Raw regularly because of the forum. Having people to talk to about it on a regular basis makes it more interesting for me.

Not having cable or a laptop at one point made it hard for me to keep up. I'd go to my friend's parents house because they ordered the pay per views every month. Reading the results online isn't exactly the same.

The same thing happened with UFC. Once I didn't have anyone to talk to about it I quit watching. Some people on here talk about it so I've started watching it more frequently.

For a while once I got back into watching Raw and Smackdown on a regular basis I would only watch part of the show and not really have much interest in them. I rarely watch Smackdown now because hardly anyone posts in the LD.

I have found genuine interest in Raw again though. Still I'd rather participate in the LD while it's on and share thoughts with other forum members.

"Oh my god, this PPV was crap, I'm never watching again.... until Monday."

Words that have been said so many times.
By marks, aka people who get pissed off at outcomes and don't just enjoy the show.

Many people said that WWE sucks after Payback, since Punk isn't coming back, and the PPV was a repeat of Extreme Rules.

I'm pretty sure that was probably just you. Punk is irrelevant in the wrestling world right now. His mark-fans will try to explain how it's a good thing for him, but they know they'd love to see him back in the ring, and he's not there.

Actually, I did stop watching. For nearly four years. From late 2004 until Wrestlemania 24 in 2008. Because I was so, so sick of Triple H, and when he ended Orton's first World Title reign, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I missed some good moments, like when Edge cashed in the first Money in the Bank. But overall, I didn't miss all that much. Just John Cena and Batista. I like both guys, but they weren't enough to reel me back in.

Then Wrestlemania 24 came around, and I'd heard about Ric Flair's last match, so I decided to watch it. Not live, mind. About a month after the actual PPV. But I enjoyed the PPV. I liked the new group of midcarders, like CM Punk and John Morrison. I liked the main eventer that Edge had become. I liked how the Undertaker worked his ass off. I really enjoyed it.

But if things got as bad as they were in 2004, I would indeed stop watching again. If I thought John Cena was in for another long title run, facing the likes of Randy Orton and Big Show, I would likely stop watching. Fact is, there was nothing as exciting as the Shield members or Bray Wyatt back in 2004. And now that there is, it'll take a lot more to stop me watching.

I took a little break from 2004-2005. I can't remember the exact reason why, but I guess was just burnt on wrestling for a while. But I picked up a 3 disc Hulk Hogan DVD set during my hiatus, and the match with Shawn instantly instantly hooked me in...for a little while. I bought different WWE DVD sets to catch up on the pay per views, and I started to watch sporadically again after the '06 Royal Rumble Wrestlemania 22. After that, Shawn and Triple H reuniting for DX in 2006 pulled me again on a full time basis with a nostalgia kick.

Now, I never miss an episode of Raw, but I don't watch Smackdown from start to finish every Friday. I'll admit, WWE frustrates the hell out of me at times, but I never feel the need to take a break anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back