X's Reviews/Match Ratings

Gave Fantastics v/s MX a quarter star more than MX vs. Southern Boys? I'll take it. You at least acknowledge that the match was better, if ever so slightly. And tell me you'll review Hansen/Brody vs. Terry and Dory Funk Jr. Believe it's from 1982. And Hansen/Jumbo Tsuruta from their first Triple Crown Match.

EDIT: Seen the Tag match review... and I can live with that. It's 5 stars IMO.

And Kroffat/Furnas v/s Kikiuchi/Kobashi is my all time favorite Tag Team match. You're ratings are great though. You acknowledge greatness, but don't get too generous with the ratings.

Yeah it's weird sometimes I feel like I'm being too generous and other times I feel like I'm being too hard-to-please. I guess it's because I hold different standards for different promotions.

Should be watching a boatload of old WCW this weekend, so expect more ratings of the like.

Hansen/Luger from Halloween Havoc! Or Michael Wallstreet vs. anyone. :lmao:

Seriously... early 90's WCW was bad overall, but their matches had some serious gems in there. Like Sting/Sid or Vader/Sting and Luger being managed by Harley Race. Lots of good things were there, but the collective package sucked out loud.

I demand a half star deduction from Angle-Michaels for a pin in the first third of the match where only one shoulder is on the mat.

Hit up the ten man tag from Canadian Stampede for me ol boy. Tied for my favorite match of all the times
God bless you, sir.

Honestly, Michaels/Angle from 'Mania in my opinion is one of the most overrated matches of all time. Maybe it would have been better if that shitty LA crowd was into it, but it was just dull to me.

Their Vengeance match, however, was fantastic from start to finish and to me, it blows the 'Mania match completely out of the water.

Hit up the ten man tag from Canadian Stampede for me ol boy. Tied for my favorite match of all the times

You got it brotha, it's actually on WWE 24/7 right now!

I demand a half star deduction from Angle-Michaels for a pin in the first third of the match where only one shoulder is on the mat.

Ha, I knew you'd have something to say with me giving such a good rating to an Angle match. I got caught up in the emotion of it, and I was a bit high, but that match was epic. Strange, because I've never considered it as good as I rated it until last night. Maybe I was being too generous (probably).

Honestly, Michaels/Angle from 'Mania in my opinion is one of the most overrated matches of all time. Maybe it would have been better if that shitty LA crowd was into it, but it was just dull to me.

Their Vengeance match, however, was fantastic from start to finish and to me, it blows the 'Mania match completely out of the water.

Yeah I was probably being too generous, but I was a bit stoned and got caught up in the great match and by the time it was over I just said to myself "Well, if THAT isn't a perfect match, just what in the FUCK is?", and I went ahead and gave it the perfect score. It's strange too JMT because I'm right with you, for years I've always considered that match to be overrated, but I don't know, something about watching it last night...it just seemed better than any of the previous times I watched it.

It was the story that really sold me on giving it the five star rating. Shawn Michaels, Mr. Wrestlemania, going in and trying to out-wrestle Kurt Angle on the mat, the Olympian of all people. HBK brings out everything in his arsenal but at the end Angle's technical ability is just too much for HBK and he's forced to tap on the biggest stage of them all. Sold me on it.

I'll queue their rematches up next.

Today's update:

WWE
7/21/96 Shawn Michaels/Sycho Sid/Ahmed Johnson vs. Vader/Owen Hart/Davey Boy Smith - ***3/4
7/6/97 Mankind vs. Hunter Hearst Helmsley - ***1/4
7/6/97 The Great Sasuke vs. TAKA Michinoku - ****
7/6/97 The Undertaker vs. Vader - ***1/4
7/6/97 Bret Hart/Owen Hart/Davey Boy Smith/Jim Neidhart/Brian Pillman vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin/Legion of Doom/Goldust/Ken Shamrock - ****1/2
6/5/03 Matt Hardy vs. Rey Mysterio - ***1/2
6/2/09 Christian vs. Tyson Kidd - ***1/2

WCW
9/13/98 Raven vs. Perry Saturn - ***3/4

ECW
2/4/95 Chris Benoit vs. Al Snow - ***3/4

4 and half? Ill take it. Personally, I go a full five, but then again I love it. I simply see it as a ten man tag done to perfection, tis why I go five. I have no idea how that coul have possibly been better, myself. Four and half is still damn good though

Oh yeah by 5 on 5 standards it's five stars all the way, but I wasn't really looking at it from that viewpoint I guess. It's fucking all kinds of AWESOME though. Yeah, I'm a bit of a stickler, give a LOT of ****+ star ratings, rare for me to go the full five usually. Probably a bit more than stingy Meltzer does atleast though.

That whole PPV was just fucking awesome from start to finish, easily the best In Your House. Not a bad match on the card.

For pure amount of great wrestling packed into less than two hours, I'd absolutely agree with you man. That is pretty much a perfect show, nothing but fun from start to finish and great wrestling through out it all. And you said you hated the Attitude era.

Right now I'm watching the Owen Hart Raw tribute show after Over the Edge. Haven't watched this show in about ten years. Imagine how fucking awesome the WWE would be if Owen Hart had never died?

7/6/97 The Undertaker vs. Vader - ***1/4

Damn, that good, huh? I don't remember, was this a pay-per-view match, or a Raw match?

Can't believe Vader vs. 'Taker in 1997 would get that high of a rating from you. I need to watch that bad boy. 'Taker back then wasn't nearly as good as he's been since 2006 (in the ring, I mean), and Vader of course post 1995 was shit for the most part.

9/13/98 Raven vs. Perry Saturn - ***3/4

Ahh... one of my all time favorite matches. Glad to see you watched and enjoyed it.

Damn, that good, huh? I don't remember, was this a pay-per-view match, or a Raw match?

Can't believe Vader vs. 'Taker in 1997 would get that high of a rating from you. I need to watch that bad boy. 'Taker back then wasn't nearly as good as he's been since 2006 (in the ring, I mean), and Vader of course post 1995 was shit for the most part.

It was their title match at Canadian Stampede, and I rather enjoyed it. Solid action, good finish. Nothing amazing, but good stuff. And I'd strongly disagree with ya there about Vader, he had some good matches during his WWF run and his return to Japan in 99-2000 was epic, he still had alot left in the tank.

Ahh... one of my all time favorite matches. Glad to see you watched and enjoyed it.

Yeah I love that match too, if I could just rate it on the angle and everything alone it would be much higher, but the action was limited in the ring and the interference hurt it a bit. Still, awesome stuff for WCW at the time, the highlight of WCW at that time.

I'm going to be watching some of the Raven-Punk matches soon so stay tuned JMT, I know you loved that feud. What was your favorite match of theirs?

It was their title match at Canadian Stampede, and I rather enjoyed it. Solid action, good finish. Nothing amazing, but good stuff.

Oh okay. I only bothered to watch the main event from Canadian Stampede. I've only heard nothing but terrible things about the undercard of that show, so that's why I've never seen the match. I'll have to check it out now though.

I'm going to be watching some of the Raven-Punk matches soon so stay tuned JMT, I know you loved that feud. What was your favorite match of theirs?

Sweet, man. I'd have to say their Dog Collar Match at Death Before Dishonor is my absolute favorite.

What?! Who told you the undercard to Canadian Stampede sucked? The undercard ROCKED besides the show was only 4 matches. You had another solid Triple H-Mankind match, easily the best light heavyweight match in WWF history with a rare appearance from the Great Sasuke against TAKA Michinoku, a solid Vader-Taker match and then the incredible main event. THat's a great show from start to finish.

I always thought that was the general consensus, man, lol.

I didn't realize TAKA vs. Sasuke was on there; I bet that is good (but you know how WWE fans are about matches like this). HHH and Foley worked great together, and while I'm sure the match is as solid as you say, I bet most feel it's one of the weakest throughout their history. And 'Taker vs. Vader is either going to be loved or hated.

So, yeah... I'm sure it's not that bad, but at the same time, knowing the WWE fanbase... it shouldn't shock you I have only heard bad things about it.

EDIT: ...And for good measure, I looked up KB's review of the show just now, and outside of the Mankind/HHH match, he completely shitted on the undercard:

http://forums.wrestlezone.com/showthread.php?p=1097488&highlight=stampede#post1097488

That's KB for you JMT. This is the same guy that hands out fucking C ratings to the International Six Man Tag from Barely Legal because a chair was involved for two seconds.

And actually the crowd got REALLY into Sasuke-TAKA despite what KB might lead you to believe. Took about 10 minutes but once they really got going in the ring, the crowd was into it big time. Canadian crowds usually always are good about getting into a match when the in-ring action is good. I just saw KB gave that match a C-. Completely unbelievable, for WWF standards that's probably the greatest light heavyweight match of all time. It's fucking SASUKE IN AMERICA DUDE!!!

Great show from start to finish, besides even KB gave the whole show an A. Check it out from start to finish if you're bored and have the chance, it's definitely worth it dude.

Okay, so, guess I should get cracking on watching some wrasslin' to rate for today. I may not watch the WWE PPV tonight so ratings for that show may have to wait a few days.

Tonight's update:

TNA
1/15/06 Samoa Joe vs. Christopher Daniels - ****1/4

WWE
6/24/01 Kurt Angle vs. Shane McMahon (Street Fight) - ****
7/21/02 The Rock vs. Undertaker vs. Kurt Angle - ****1/2
8/17/08 John Cena vs. Batista - ***1/2
10/5/08 Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Jericho (Ladder) - ****1/4
2/21/10 John Cena vs. Sheamus vs. Triple H vs. Randy Orton vs. Ted DiBiase vs. Kofi Kingston (Elimination Chamber) - ***3/4
2/21/10 The Miz vs. MVP - ***
2/21/10 Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio vs. CM Punk vs. John Morrison vs. R-Truth (Elimination Chamber) - ****1/4

I see you rated the EC matches high, would you recommend picking up the show at some point if I didn't see it?

Definitely, pretty good show all around. The first Chamber was good, borderline great, but the second chamber was even better. I mean they weren't the greatest Chamber matches of all time or anything, but they were both very entertaining, especially the second one. Miz and MVP also had a pretty good match, probably their best match against each other yet. Rest of the card is filler, but overall the show was quite good.

Pick it up if you think it's worth it. I'd just download it, but that's just me being a silly pirate thief.

Definitely, pretty good show all around. The first Chamber was good, borderline great, but the second chamber was even better. I mean they weren't the greatest Chamber matches of all time or anything, but they were both very entertaining, especially the second one. Miz and MVP also had a pretty good match, probably their best match against each other yet. Rest of the card is filler, but overall the show was quite good.

Pick it up if you think it's worth it. I'd just download it, but that's just me being a silly pirate thief.

I'll probably just buy it. It's only $15 and the last download you sent me didn't work right and I'm too lazy to try and figure out why. Thanks, X

After mentioning it on here a few days ago, I went back and watched Joe vs Kobashi again. I thought maybe I had been mistaken in my original evaluation that it wasn't worth Meltzer's 5 stars or even X's 4.5...

Having watched it again, I have come to the conclusion that I really do not like Japanese strong style. Two guys beating the crap out of each other with a varied array of chops and dangerous suplexes with no real story telling and after an hour of brutality, all too often it ends with a small package or a lariat if you are lucky...

To me, Joe/Kobashi is nothing special. 4 stars maybe.

Maybe I have been raised too much on WWF...

Joe-Bashi is definitely overrated, but it's still a really great match. Oh and that match really wasn't a true representation of the Japanese strong style, Kobashi always utilizes far more chops and strikes than most anyone else.

Watch this match, it's a perfect example of the strong style, tells a great story, and is one of my favorite matches ever:

Joe-Bashi wouldn't even crack a Top 20 list if I was comparing it to other legenary Japanese matches, but in terms of American wrestling, it was damn good.

Besides, Joe-Bashi most certainly utilizes storytelling and psychology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back