• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE's Big Five?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amarillo del Bosque Verde

The straightedge Irishman.
This is my first thread so please bear with me;) So I read another post about WWE's big four and i got me thinking. Up until 2002 WWE had a big five with the king of the ring ppv.So what do you think the big five would be now? I think it would probably be Night of Champions because it begins and ends feuds and has every title on the line.Could also consider Backlash because it has the fallout from 'Mania and is now the longest running non-major PPV,and Elmination Chamber because the former No Way Out was the lead-in to 'Mania and features two or more Elmination Chambers.So What do you think? Thanks :)

This is my first thread so please bear with me;)

You can make threads with only 9 posts? HOW!

So I read another post about WWE's big four and i got me thinking.

It was NSL's TNA's big four. Pfft get your names right!

So what do you think the big five would be now?

Well, obviously. WrestleMania, Royal Rumble, SummerSlam, Survivor Series, and No Way Out are the choices. I don't think theres much debate for it.

WrestleMania is the biggest, and longest running PPV series in wrestling history, and will stay that way as long as the WWE doors are open.

Royal Rumble has a direct outcome to WrestleMania, and the Rumble is one of the most celebrated traditions in WWE history. An hour of 30 men just battling it out is awesome.

SummerSlam is the mid-year show which is always built up as to being one of the biggest shows.

Survivor Series, 3/4 quarter year show, and is built up as being a big show.

No Way Out was a toss up for me. But over the years it has progressed and has a direct outcome to WrestleMania, and builds IMMENSE amounts of Hype for WrestleMania as well.

There you have it, theres my top 5.

In my opinion, the WWE “Big 5” is WrestleMania, Survivor Series, Royal Rumble, SummerSlam, and Night Of Champions. The first four are obvious choices. I picked Night Of Champions as the fifth, because it’s the only PPV to feature all of the WWE Titles. I disagree with No Way Out / Elimination Chamber as being number 5, because I don’t think a hype up / gimmick PPV should be considered a “Big” PPV. It's the buildup. On the same token, I disagree with Backlash being number 5, because I don’t think a fallout PPV should be considered a “Big” PPV. It's the rematches. Also, two / three “Big” PPVs back to back (to back) just doesn’t seem right. Bragging Rights maybe number 6, in my book.

The fifth would have to be Night of Champions. It's not even a contest. I agree with the above poster. The "build-up" PPV shouldn't be considered big. I personally don't get excited about Elimination Chamber matches. They just don't do it for me. Now every single title being on the line, that's a special night.

Well, naturally there's the big 4 which are generally accepted as the biggest PPV's of the year. The Rumble, Mania, Summerslam and Survivor Series. They're all special in their own way.
If I had to pick a 5th, in terms of hype I'd say No Way Out. The PPV pretty much always delivers some excellent matches, especially the Elimination chamber matches. And it truly sets up the Wrestlemania main events. By the end, we always know what the main event will be because we know who'll be the world champions heading into Mania. And it's usually pretty easy to predict which champion the Rumble winner will be facing and who the other champion will be facing at the end of NWO. So in terms of excitement and quality, it's No Way Out.
But in terms of WWE trying to make it sound important, I'd say Night of Champions or Bragging Rights. Night of Champions has every title on the line, which means we're bound to see at least one title change hands, which is always pretty cool. It's usually decent in terms of quality. But because every title is on the line, it means we're guarenteed 2 Divas matches, which is always a bit of a downer.
Bragging Rights is a new PPV, but it was a really great show this year. So I think WWE will start pushing it as a "big" PPV in the future, basing hype upon the brand wars and seeing matches we've never seen before.

Well No Way Out is no longer with us, and it's follow up, "Elimination Chamber" doesn't have an appealing name. Backlash follows Wrestlemainia and its stories, so the matches tend to not have that "big match" feel. Judgment Day is gone. Extreme Rules isn't that extreme without blood. The Bash is sort of a mash-up between WCW's Bash At The Beach and Great American Bash, but other than Bash At The Beach 2000, none of them really stick out. Breaking Point, Hell in a Cell and TLC are fresh off the grill so I doubt people could consider those. Night Of Champions seems to fit. It's in between 4 B-level PPV's and it has all the belts on the line. Its a gimmick PPV but it has a great gimmick. Renaming it to Clash Of Champions would be sweeter, but yeah, I think it fits as the 5th A-level PPV.

1-Wrestlemania- you have to be stupid to ask why
2-Royal Rumble- beginning of the road to wrestlemania you can start or end feuds that can build up to wrestlemania.
3-Survivor Series- usually all the feuds are in elimination style matches which is exciting to see.
4-Summerslam- The first ever Legend vs Icon match pitting Hulk Hogan vs. HBK
5- there iis no 5th its a 3 way tie with backlash b/c its a wrestlemania fallout, elimination chamer or now way out or whatever vince wants to name the ppv b/c its the final pay per view before 'mania and night of champions b/c as we all know its a night if only championship matches no matter how big the feuds are.

I would have to agree with everyone that says:

Wrestlemania, Royal Rumble, Survivor Series, SummerSlam, and Night of Champions. As previously stated.. the First 4 are a given. and also as stated. The Night of Champions can be the beginning and end of feuds, and all titles on the line.

KOTR come back to us!

WWE's "Big 5" PPV's are Wrestlemania, Summerslam, Royal Rumble, Survivor Series, and Night of Champions. The "Big 4" are still considered the biggest four shows of the year, and Night of Champions makes the cut as the 5th biggest because it is the only time of the year that every single championship is on the line, and that alone makes it a special PPV. I honestly look forward to Night of Champions more than any PPV other than Wrestlemania and Summerslam at this point. There should be more championship matches, so the show where ALL titles are up for grabs will always catch my attention every year. Within a couple of years Night of Champions will be on par with the "Big 4" (other than Wrestlemania of course) in terms of having that special feel to it that few PPV's have these days.

1.) Wrestlemania: Self-explanatory. It is the pinnacle of WWE events, and as such is the biggest drawing event. It is ungodly how big it's.

2.) Summerslam: It has lineage, a big feel, and always draws well. It always delivers in terms of in-ring product.

3.) Royal Rumble: The biggest gimmick ppv to date. It is a milestone, and a huge tradition. It also draws very well. It gets by on its attraction merit, and rightfully so. It always contains some solid matches, and is a ppv that we all anticipate just for teh RR match.

4.) Survivor Series: A traditional event as well, and it has always been a major ppv, though it has been decreasing in quality recently. Nevertheless, the traditional matches are always here, they always try to deliver, and ot always draws well.

5.) Night Of Champions: This one's new, and draws fairly well not to be one of the above ppvs. It has teh appeal of every title being on the line, which is big in it's own right.

I'd have to agree with y2straightedge. the top 4 are already known. and the fith would have to be Night of champions, All the titles on the Line and it basically starts or ends feuds. And ive always been Impressed with this PPV. its a gooden

I think the fifh biggest Pay Per View is easily Elimination Chamber. Although Night Of Champions does have every title on the line, the PPV itself isn't that big, with less buildup to each match because of all the titles being on the line and the fact that only one or two titles usually change hands, leaving the fans dissapointed. Elimination Chamber, on the hand has 2 chamber matches and has a direct impact on the biggest PPV of the year, Wrestlemania. By this point, we know the royal rumble winner, who puts on o good match and we also find out who will be carrying the titles in wrestlemania

WrestleMania, Royal Rumble, Survivor Series and Summerslam are obvious choices because they were the original 4 Events for WWE, until KOTR which was the fifth.

Im going to say Backlash, for the fifth. Its been around about 12 years now and it always has epic rematches from WM and starts off other storys. This was the first WWE ppv i ever watched and it got me into wrestling.
Also, if it was still around, id consider Armaggeddon. It always had a huge finish to the year and espicially with Jeff winning his long awaited WWE title there in 08 it could have been epic in 09, but it wasnt to be. But theres always been good matches there.

I have so done this thread before. Anyway, I think it's Night of Champions. It has consistently drawn up near the 300,000 mark since its inception, and the level of title matches have pretty much always involved major players. No Way Out is the rival option, but I don't think it really stands on its own very well. It puts on Elimination Chamber matches, which are quite good, but everything else about it is all about continuing the WrestleMania feuds that began to develop during the Royal Rumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back