WWE Renaming Indy Workers

Shawn Michaels isn't that generic. They just reversed his first and middle names. His birth name was Michael Shawn Hickenbottom, but as he grew up, from interviews given in the past, most people called him Shawn. So in effect that to is his real name.
Jericho was taken in place his real name of Irving as it had a biblical aspect that pumped up the character, along with the nickname of 'LionTamer' and 'Lionheart' that he used in wcw.

Generic: having no particularly distinctive quality or application.

What's the distinctive quality in Shawn Michaels? Would anything about him have changed if his name was Shawn Gates? The same with Chris Jericho - who, by the way, named himself after the Helloween album Walls of Jericho, not a Biblical reference. Could he have still been the same wrestler if his name was Christoper Rose?

Whether the name is real or not is irrelevant to the generic argument, imo. A name can be generic whether it's someone's given name or not. A non-generic name fits into a gimmick. Non-generic names include: Sheamus, a distinctly Irish name for an Irish wrestler ... Hunter Hearst Helmsley, a distinctly snobbish name for a Connecticut blue blood ... even Randy Orton, a name with a legacy for a guy that originally got over thanks to the legacy of his family name.

Generic: having no particularly distinctive quality or application.

What's the distinctive quality in Shawn Michaels? Would anything about him have changed if his name was Shawn Gates? The same with Chris Jericho - who, by the way, named himself after the Helloween album Walls of Jericho, not a Biblical reference. Could he have still been the same wrestler if his name was Christoper Rose?

Whether the name is real or not is irrelevant to the generic argument, imo. A name can be generic whether it's someone's given name or not. A non-generic name fits into a gimmick. Non-generic names include: Sheamus, a distinctly Irish name for an Irish wrestler ... Hunter Hearst Helmsley, a distinctly snobbish name for a Connecticut blue blood ... even Randy Orton, a name with a legacy for a guy that originally got over thanks to the legacy of his family name.
Sorry, I don't follow obscure music that only 100 people have heard about. In most peoples minds, at least those who've heard of the bible even if they aren't a follower or a christian/catholic, when they hear the name Jericho, they consider it either a reference to the bible in some way or some type of mythical story.
As for Shawn, it's not a generic name. Prior to him, name a famous wrestler who went by the name? There were none, so you can't. Sheamus if anything is as generic a name as Shawn. Shawn/Sean/Shaun/Saun are all based on variations of Seamus/Shaemus which itself and with those are just the Irish version of John.
John/Jean/Sean-same name different nations. All generic according to your method of consideration.
You are right that likely little would have changed about him personally if he was Shawn Gates, but you are wrong that Shawn Michaels is a generic name. IT was different to anything being used at the time when so many were using aliases and making up names like Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Honky Tonk, Hercules, King Kong Bundy and others, using a name that could be any ones from any walk of life made him stand out against the sea of Brutus', Koko's, and so on. So in a way, the very blandness of the name made it stand out until he was able to seep into your mind and you started to see how good he was in the ring, that by the time things changed and 'real' names were being used again, he was firmly entrenched in your mind as one of the stand outs.

I think people whine, because, in general, an awful lot of indy fans thrive on being eternally butthurt.

The name changes come generally due to legal reasons, coming from both the WWE and the wrestlers themselves. Sometimes, in the case of somebody like CM Punk, a deal that was mututally beneficial to both parties can be worked out. In others, for whatever reason, no such deal can be worked out.

It's a silly thing to be worked up about, IMO, because if a guy is talented, he's talented, regardless of his name. A guy straddled with a shit name can always change it up some (i.e. Rocky Maivia to The Rock, Hunter Hearst Hemlsley to Triple H) if they get over enough to have people chanting for him.

A few people have already explained this down to the T.

This is a scripted television show. EVERYONE has a fake name with the exception of a very select few and that's because their name needed no change. It already had it's ring to it and sounded like a character name.

Jim Ross is a perfect example of the exception. His real name actually sounds like a fake name you'd give to someone in a movie, or at least to me it does because of the two first names.

If people really cannot grasp the concept of wrestling needing fake names for licensing, they should probably just stop pro wrestling and go watch some indy company that can't afford licensing and lets everyone use their lame stupid names.

If I were to ever become a wrestler, I would take damn near any name besides my own.

It's actually all to do with ownership. Chris Hero for example is the intellectual property of Chris Spradlin, so when he signed for WWE he may have gotten an offer to sell them the name, but if he were to do that and then be released he would no longer be allowed to use the Chris Hero name, hence why they give him whatever name they come up with. It's not silly or anything like that, it's smart and protects the performer. Perfect example is Hero who went straight back to the indies and is remembered for who he was.

Do a lot of these guys get stupid names? Yeah, I'm still scratching my head at Eddie Edwards being called Eric Philbin and considering his reaction to Kevin Steen calling him Eric on the Weekend Escapades he isn't looking so thrilled about it either, but fuck it. Eddie Edwards isn't even his real name so if shit doesn't work out in WWE he can return to ROH or the indies or work wherever and be recognized by name alone.

Punk is really lucky that he got to keep his name. Otherwise the WWE universe would know him as Jack Phillins or so. Thanks to Paul Heyman for that.

Still wonder if he still owns the rights of the name completely before his infamous shoot promo there were some legal issues ] surrounding the rights to the name CM punk. does anybody know?

Sorry, I don't follow obscure music that only 100 people have heard about. In most peoples minds, at least those who've heard of the bible even if they aren't a follower or a christian/catholic, when they hear the name Jericho, they consider it either a reference to the bible in some way or some type of mythical story.
As for Shawn, it's not a generic name. Prior to him, name a famous wrestler who went by the name? There were none, so you can't. Sheamus if anything is as generic a name as Shawn. Shawn/Sean/Shaun/Saun are all based on variations of Seamus/Shaemus which itself and with those are just the Irish version of John.
John/Jean/Sean-same name different nations. All generic according to your method of consideration.
You are right that likely little would have changed about him personally if he was Shawn Gates, but you are wrong that Shawn Michaels is a generic name. IT was different to anything being used at the time when so many were using aliases and making up names like Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Honky Tonk, Hercules, King Kong Bundy and others, using a name that could be any ones from any walk of life made him stand out against the sea of Brutus', Koko's, and so on. So in a way, the very blandness of the name made it stand out until he was able to seep into your mind and you started to see how good he was in the ring, that by the time things changed and 'real' names were being used again, he was firmly entrenched in your mind as one of the stand outs.

A few things. I don't particularly care if you follow obscure heavy metal music. That doesn't change the fact that it's where Chris Jericho took his name from. Whether you conjure up images of the Bible because of the name is irrelevant to the origins of his name, his gimmick or the fact that his name had no distinctive quality that describes his personality. I'll say the same about Kassius Ohno - a favorite whipping boy of this thread. Does it matter that I conjure up images of Muhammad Ali when I hear this name? Nope. Because the name has no bearing on Ohno's personality.

Your argument about Sheamus is incorrect, as well. I think this is where we have the disconnect. A generic name can be used by anyone, and no one would think twice. That - and nothing else - is what makes it generic. If Chris Jericho was named Shawn Michaels or Dusty Rhodes was named Ric Flair or Steve Austin was named Mark Calloway - it would've changed nothing about their careers or their characters. The names are interchangeable.

But Sheamus? That's a distinctly Irish name. Any wrestler that has that name BETTER be Irish. That's the reason it works for Shaemus - he's a big Irish fighter, and his name re-enforces the fact that he's Irish. If Shawn Michaels was named Sheamus, he never would've gotten over. If Shaemus was named Shawn, his name would be generic - as it has nothing to do with his character.

This same logic is why names like Hulk Hogan, King Kong Bundy and The Honky Tonk Man are NOT generic. Hulk had superhuman strength, a play off the Marvel superhero. King Kong Bundy was a menacing monster, a play off both the giant ape and the serial killer. The Honky Tonk Man played off the character's musical gimmick. Even a name like Roddy Piper played off the fact that he played the bag pipes.

But Shawn Michaels? Come on. This notion that his name was ironically non-generic before it stood out against all the truly non-generic names is ridiculous. It completely ignores an entire roster filled with guys that used generic names in the 80s: Bret Hart, Jake Roberts, Paul Orndorff, Jim Duggan, Jim Brunzell, Bob Orton, Rick Martel, Ricky Steamboat, Ron Bass, Butch Reed, Greg Valentine, Jim Neidhart, Dan Spivey, Sam Houston, ... and the list goes on. So did Shawn Michaels name stick out in the 80s because it was unusually generic - or, more likely, did it stand out because Michaels was a part of one of the most exciting tag teams in pro wrestling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back