WWE RAW & Tough Enough LD 5/2/2011 - Poontang & Patriotism

Except the fans loved Hurricane and he actually appeared on the main shows.

And the fans don't love Ryder? You see signs for him on a consistent basis, and his t-shirts sell out as quickly as the WWE stocks them up.

Furthermore, this wouldn't even be a three match series, this would be a one time thing. In and out of the ring with The Rock.

The IWC loves Ryder but the casual fan not so much. It's not necessarily his fault but the casual fan doesn't watch Superstars so therefore they never see Ryder. The WWE was obviously trying to appeal to more then just the usual audience tonight which is why there was little wrestling and a bunch of celebrities. Ryder appearing in the last segment of tonight's RAW with The Rock would have made no sense.

The IWC loves Ryder but the casual fan not so much. It's not necessarily his fault but the casual fan doesn't watch Superstars so therefore they never see Ryder. The WWE was obviously trying to appeal to more then just the usual audience tonight which is why there was little wrestling and a bunch of celebrities. Ryder appearing in the last segment of tonight's RAW with The Rock would have made no sense.

The Hurricane was in no fucking way more over in 2001-03 than Zack Ryder is right now. So your theory doesn't make much sense. The fans generally didn't give a shit about the Hurricane at all, and they really had no reason to because all he did was job constantly for years on end.

Really entertaining show. Not enough wrestling, too much Rock, blah, blah, blah, I can hear it now. It worked, and kept my attention a lot more than any show leading up to Extreme Rules did.

Oh, and by the way, Ryder and Hurricane are equally worthless.

The Hurricane was in no fucking way more over in 2001-03 than Zack Ryder is right now. So your theory doesn't make much sense. The fans generally didn't give a shit about the Hurricane at all, and they really had no reason to because all he did was job constantly for years on end.

Hurricane was getting big pops on the main shows around the time he had his mini program with The Rock. When was the last time Ryder was even on one of the main shows for more then 30 seconds? I'm not trying to say Hurricane would have belonged in a closing segment like the one tonight just that Ryder sure as fuck doesn't belong.

Hurricane was getting big pops on the main shows around the time he had his mini program with The Rock.

He definitely was not. I've been watching literally every episode of Raw, Smackdown and every PPV from the 2001-2004 period over the last few months and at no point in time was the Hurricane even more than marginally over. His pops were barely noticeable.

When was the last time Ryder was even on one of the main shows for more then 30 seconds? I'm not trying to say Hurricane would have belonged in a closing segment like the one tonight just that Ryder sure as fuck doesn't belong.

I don't know about Ryder belonging in a segment or not, I was just commenting on your claim that the Hurricane was super over when the fans actually could not have cared less about him as anything more than a curtain-jerking comedy act, and even then they didn't really care.

Just finished watching Tough Enough. Luke is starting to irritate me and I was actually hoping he'd get given the boot. Smart money should be on Martin to win it now.

Hurricane was getting big pops on the main shows around the time he had his mini program with The Rock. When was the last time Ryder was even on one of the main shows for more then 30 seconds? I'm not trying to say Hurricane would have belonged in a closing segment like the one tonight just that Ryder sure as fuck doesn't belong.

The thing is, guys for years have gotten over through incidents such as this. Helms was floundering at the time and Rock made him look a million bucks. He also did something similar for Christian at a time. Someone has obviously picked up on Ryder interest or he wouldn't even have been allowed an appearance in the background.

Now I'm not saying I'd go all the way to promoting Zack straight to Foley style 'This Is your Life' levels but given the amount of Rock fluff segments - the usual fawning Divas, Santino/ Kozlov, Khali, Hornswoggle, Vickie shtick plus WAY to many happy birthday bits from celebrities (enough Vince, we get that it's Sports Entertainment already).

Former writer David Lagana worked for Vince for 6 years and now writes for RoH. He has done a two bit interview with Brit wrestling magazine Power Slam and comes across as complementary and grateful for his time in Connecticut, but at the same time doesn't come across as a drone looking his old job back. When asked about hostility from talent against creative about not getting over, he has singled out Ryder for praise:-

David Lagana (WWF/e writer 2002-2008)
my number one hero right now is Zack Ryder. He gets it. Okay, they're not using him a lot on television - but look at what he does every week on his little web show. He's created a five-minute web show that John Cena loves and tweets about. That's getting yourself over. Hopefully, WWE will start watching that and put it on television because he is trying to get his character over on his own. That's a guy I would work hard for every day because he's thinking about himself and working within the parameters of the character he has created.

Now a couple of things about this:

1) Just dethroned WWe Champion the Miz began his ascension running a similar web show alongside JoMo called 'The Dirt Sheet'.

2) This isn't just an IWC thing. Many casual fans follow John Cena's tweets and have checked out Ryder's casts.

3)Talk about having an already scripted opportunity. Place either Cena or the Rock in an interview segment for Ryder's web show and have the other interrupt at any time.

Would this not be slightly more refreshing than the same old, same old 'Vickie is fat, Ziggler's a little bitch, Mae Young's really old and in a swimsuit' dung (and from a show repeatedly going on about anti-bullying) that we've watched time without end setting up the anti-climatic face off between the two that even Rocky's guests didn't look that interested in?

I'm not saying put Zack at the top of a title ladder now, all I'm saying is how about letting him on a rung? A little rub from Cena and Rock and who knows, couple years down the line and we may have been looking at a new Miz - guess we'll never know.

He definitely was not. I've been watching literally every episode of Raw, Smackdown and every PPV from the 2001-2004 period over the last few months and at no point in time was the Hurricane even more than marginally over. His pops were barely noticeable.

He wasn't that over for that entire period of time. But I seem to remember a few damn good pops around the time of his little mini feud with The Rock.

I don't know about Ryder belonging in a segment or not, I was just commenting on your claim that the Hurricane was super over when the fans actually could not have cared less about him as anything more than a curtain-jerking comedy act, and even then they didn't really care.

I never once said he was super over. I said the fans liked him and he got a few good pops for a short period of time. Hurricane and Ryder are different for two main reasons.

1. Hurricane was never put in a huge RAW ending situation like JGlass was insinuating Ryder should have been.

2. Hurricane was at least somewhat of a regular on the main shows. Ryder hasn't spent more then 30 seconds on RAW in ages.

The thing is, guys for years have gotten over through incidents such as this. Helms was floundering at the time and Rock made him look a million bucks. He also did something similar for Christian at a time. Someone has obviously picked up on Ryder interest or he wouldn't even have been allowed an appearance in the background.

Now I'm not saying I'd go all the way to promoting Zack straight to Foley style 'This Is your Life' levels but given the amount of Rock fluff segments - the usual fawning Divas, Santino/ Kozlov, Khali, Hornswoggle, Vickie shtick plus WAY to many happy birthday bits from celebrities (enough Vince, we get that it's Sports Entertainment already).

Former writer David Lagana worked for Vince for 6 years and now writes for RoH. He has done a two bit interview with Brit wrestling magazine Power Slam and comes across as complementary and grateful for his time in Connecticut, but at the same time doesn't come across as a drone looking his old job back. When asked about hostility from talent against creative about not getting over, he has singled out Ryder for praise:-

Now a couple of things about this:

1) Just dethroned WWe Champion the Miz began his ascension running a similar web show alongside JoMo called 'The Dirt Sheet'.

2) This isn't just an IWC thing. Many casual fans follow John Cena's tweets and have checked out Ryder's casts.

3)Talk about having an already scripted opportunity. Place either Cena or the Rock in an interview segment for Ryder's web show and have the other interrupt at any time.

Would this not be slightly more refreshing than the same old, same old 'Vickie is fat, Ziggler's a little bitch, Mae Young's really old and in a swimsuit' dung (and from a show repeatedly going on about anti-bullying) that we've watched time without end setting up the anti-climatic face off between the two that even Rocky's guests didn't look that interested in?

I'm not saying put Zack at the top of a title ladder now, all I'm saying is how about letting him on a rung? A little rub from Cena and Rock and who knows, couple years down the line and we may have been looking at a new Miz - guess we'll never know.

I wouldn't have minded at all if Ryder would have had a little comedy segment during the middle of the show with The Rock, I was just disputing JGlass's notion that he should have been in the ending segment. Nothing more then that.

I wouldn't have minded at all if Ryder would have had a little comedy segment during the middle of the show with The Rock, I was just disputing JGlass's notion that he should have been in the ending segment. Nothing more then that.

Very true, to many casual fans - had it been the show closer, it would have been the case of "Zack Ryder, huh - what?" but then again having seen the way it did end (particularly seeing as the GM was meant to cancel any celebration for not getting an apology):shrug:. The Helms, Christian and even Foley's 'This Is Your Life' / Rock segments were not closers either and a mid show use of Ryder would have made more sense and been more believable.

The cameos were mostly bigger names except the "movie" thing which was your regular comedy acts. Ryder isn't in that group and I don't think his humor fits it. Thus, he would need his own thing and they aren't ready to put him on screen over guys like Ziggler and Christian who got short cameos. He was in the background and that's probably just fine with them.

As for me, I'm behind on my stuff due to a busy work week but here's my weekly column on Raw:

Raw Thoughts

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back