WWE Pittsburgh, Round 2, Match 3: #7 Dusty Rhodes vs. #26 Samoa Joe

Dusty vs. Joe

• American Dream

• Samoan Dream

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
The following match takes place in the WWE Region under WWE rules, from Pittsburgh, PA.

#7. The American Dream Dusty Rhodes
dusty3.jpg

vs.

#26. The Samoan Submission Machine Samoa Joe
Eric-S-Q&A-pic3(Joe).jpg

How can anyone vote against the samoan submission machine.Sure Dusty was good,but he will just be run over by the big samoan.I'll give him ten minutes before Joe destroys him with a few kicks and a musclebuster.

Love him or hate him,everyone knows Joe has to go over here.The fat samoan over the slightly less fat American.

Dusty was a great character, but his greatness was overrated. he was a legendary talker, but I lost all respect for him in the main event of Starrcade against Flair. He fucked up a snap mare because he was lazy with it. That is nearly impossible to do. Joe wins here over the most overrated great wrestler of all time.

Going with the American Dream on this. He was a common man. And he'd wear out Fat Joe. Rhodes may be fat, but he can wrestle 45 minutes. Samoa Joe can't. The longer the match goes, the worse it is for Joe.

I'm going with Old School. I'm going with Dusty Rhodes in a 46 minute battle.

Dusty Rhodes was a lot of fun to watch, had charisma out this world, and was a tough motherfucker in his own right, but Samoa Joe would beat the living shit out of him. It doesn't matter where the match took place, Dusty wouldn't survive more then ten minutes in the ring against a monster like Joe. And since it's in TNA of all places, Dusty REALLY doesn't stand a chance in hell.

I'm a huge fan of Dusty Rhodes, but no way he should advance here.

Dusty Rhodes is a fucking legend in a legitimate promotion. He was a top wrestler in the NWA for close to 15 years. He has beaten guys like Harley Race and Ric Flair in their primes. Samoa Joe is good, but he is no where near as good as Dusty. Dusty Rhodes is a wrestling legend, Samoa Joe is an indy wrestling legend. There is a big difference. When Samoa Joe does something out of the shit promotion that is TNA then we can talk.

He was a common man.

Plumbers make lots of money, you've been duped.

And he'd wear out Fat Joe.

Joe would wear out the fatter Rhodes.

Rhodes may be fat, but he can wrestle 45 minutes. Samoa Joe can't.

I've seen it several times.

The longer the match goes, the worse it is for Joe.

I'd say that both could go for an hour. But the longer it goes it favours the slightly lighter of the two fat asses.

Rhodes may be fat, but he can wrestle 45 minutes. Samoa Joe can't. The longer the match goes, the worse it is for Joe.

I'm by no means a ROH mark, but I'm pretty sure Joe had hour long matches with Punk, didn't he?

I think Joe would win this. There were times in his career when he was nigh on unbeatable, and I think he is better than Rhodes on the mat. I could definitely be swayed on this one, but at the moment I think the fat guy in pyjamas beats the fat guy in polka dots.

Rhodes was a legitimate wrestler for years, Rhodes has beaten the best, Joe really hasn't. Joe might be able to defeat him in ten years but not now. Rhodes is simply better. His accomplishments are far superior, he's beaten far superior talent. So, Dusty wins this match, it isn't going to be pretty but he will do it.

I'd like to come in a gave a stirring post, making everyone vote for Joe. However, I've seen nothing of Rhodes that was any good. Considering how everyone seems to lick his ass, I must have missed all the good stuff. Therefore, I must abstain from voting.

Glad Joe's getting some support though.

Dusty Rhodes was a lot of fun to watch, had charisma out this world, and was a tough motherfucker in his own right, but Samoa Joe would beat the living shit out of him. It doesn't matter where the match took place, Dusty wouldn't survive more then ten minutes in the ring against a monster like Joe. And since it's in TNA of all places, Dusty REALLY doesn't stand a chance in hell.

I'm a huge fan of Dusty Rhodes, but no way he should advance here.

This is an awesome post and echoes exactly how I feel about this contest.

Rhodes was a great talker but he is not a superior worker. Joe beats him in every department apart from charisma.

The arena suits Joe, Dusty's style doesn't pose any issues for him as Rhodes never used his size. The Bionic elbow wouldn't finish him. No Muscle Buster but you can guarantee a submission.

It would be a decent match, but in reality, a demolition job by Joe - a demonstration in how to pound someone into submission, which is what he does best.

And the point about stamina made above is almost irrelevant, Joe worked massively long yet brutal and entertaining contests in ROH, which would have been just as tough as doing it against Flair in the 80's. The only difference is that Dusty may have done it on a more regular basis on an NWA schedule.

I'd like to come in a gave a stirring post, making everyone vote for Joe. However, I've seen nothing of Rhodes that was any good. Considering how everyone seems to lick his ass, I must have missed all the good stuff. Therefore, I must abstain from voting.

Glad Joe's getting some support though.

Well Sam, I've got his DVD, natch. I don't want to use my usual term of ''shit'', but it's not very good. Three discs containing a documentary, matches and promos. It's like the Piper one. Superior talker, crap worker. If he's so great then why doesn't it have more matches you ask? I don't know, maybe because he's crap. I can prove it too, not with any videos although i could find it, but there is one match with Rhodes vs. Steve Corino in ECW. Yeah, it's crap. But, oddly, it's of almost the same quality of a lot of the other matches.

Joe beats him in every department apart from charisma.

How about quality wins? Rhodes has a lot more.

And the point about stamina made above is almost irrelevant, Joe worked massively long yet brutal and entertaining contests in ROH, which would have been just as tough as doing it against Flair in the 80's.

Am I reading this right. Are you actually saying that a match against a ROH superstar is the same as taking on Ric Flair. Please tell me you are joking.

Are you actually saying that a match against a ROH superstar is the same as taking on Ric Flair. Please tell me you are joking.

It could be, dude. You obviously are one of those people who thinks that indy stars can't possibly be as good as WWE stars because they're not in WWE. Wrong. Men like Austin Aries and Bryan Danielson could certainly give Ric Flair a run for his money.

As for my comparisons. Dusty Rhodes. He's just common man. He's working hard with his hands. He's the American Dream. He's also overrated. He hasn't really won any championships worth talking about other than the NWA World title when it was bigger. From magazine, Pro Wrestling Illustrated gave him Wrestler of the Year twice, and Most Popular Wrestler of the Year three times. Wrestling Observer also gave him Most Embarrassing, Worst Gimmick, Worst Feud, and (what a surprise) Most Overrated (twice). Overrated, but charismatic and tough, I suppose.

Samoa Joe. The Samoan Submission Machine. The new Nation of Violence. A fantastic technical wrestler, his surprising speed and technical ability can only be matched by his power in the ring. He has been an ROH Pure and World champion in the indies. In TNA, he was the winner of the 2005 Super X Cup and the 2007 Turkey Bowl. He won the TNA World title, Tag title, and X Division title (3 times), making him a Triple Crown Champion, one of only three in TNA (Kurt Angle and A.J. Styles being the other two). In 2008, he became the only man to retain his world title in a King of the Mountain match. Wrestling Observer also gave him three awards for 5 Star Match, two for Best Brawler, and one for each Match of the Year (2005, vs. Kenta Kobashi) and Most Outstanding Wrestler. Extreme in-ring ability, this man has.

Joe locks on the Coquina Clutch on Dusty, which gets broken. The Samoan Submission Machine then puts the American Dream away with the Muscle Buster. Sorry Dusty.

Men like Austin Aries and Bryan Danielson could certainly give Ric Flair a run for his money.

No, they really couldn't. If they could then either the WWE or at least TNA would have picked them up. If they could give Ric Flair a run for his money then that means they could put on great matches, cut amazing promos, and be able to draw for a large company. If all that was true there is no way they would be in ROH.

I love Dusty, he is one of my favorites, but I don't see him going over Joe here. This match would be a beat down, but the longer it goes, the more it favors Joe, who locks on a submission on a weary Dream and advances on.

I like Dusty. I loved watching his matches with Tully Blanchard during the 80's, and his feud with the Horsemen as a whole. But, I'm also a fan of pre-blubber Samoa Joe. He won't have any problem fighting Dusty's size, and will suplex him with ease. It may get to the 10-minute mark, but it ends with a rear naked choke.

Everyone is talking about all these great matches Samoa Joe has had, but exactly how many great wins does he have? He has beaten Sting once, but it was in a King of the Mountain match and Sting obviously was far from his prime. He has a couple wins over Kurt Angle, but one of those came in a six sides of steel match, and once again Kurt Angle wasn't exactly in his prime. Almost every single one of Joe's impressive victories have come in some sort of gimmick match. Dusty Rhodes has beaten the likes Ric Flair and Harley Race while they were in their primes. I'll take wins against wrestling legends in their prime over some wins in gimmick matches over guys like Raven, Sting , and Angle when they weren't in their primes.

How about quality wins? Rhodes has a lot more.
Over a longer period of time, in a bigger company, in a totally different era. Practically incomparable.

Am I reading this right. Are you actually saying that a match against a WWE superstar is the same as taking on Ric Flair. Please tell me you are joking.

Corrected.

Nope, not joking, how so? An hour match is an hour match. And Ric Flair wouldn't be less punishing in ring than the vastly more athletic Punk. 80's Flair is in his prime and could carry Rhodes in his sleep. Did Dusty ever have a five star match without Flair? Joe had one a year ago and won a World title against Kurt fricking Angle!

And your ability to read is well and good. But humour detector is way off.

Yes, Joe is having a dodgy patch in his career at the moment but he will come good when TNA book him better. Dusty dressed in polka dots for Vince during the worst time of his career and the guy is apparently a legend.

Without doubt, Joe goes over here, rightly so.

Going with the American Dream on this. He was a common man. And he'd wear out Fat Joe. Rhodes may be fat, but he can wrestle 45 minutes. Samoa Joe can't. The longer the match goes, the worse it is for Joe.

I'm going with Old School. I'm going with Dusty Rhodes in a 46 minute battle.

Umm yeah, those two 60 min. draws against Punk say otherwise, and the third match between the two was just over 45mins. BTW Joe won that match, just like he does here after he hits Dustys fat ass with a muscle buster then locks in the choke and forces the American Dream to tap

An hour match is an hour match

No, it really isn't. Going an hour with Ric Flair is no where near the same as an hour with CM Punk or (insert name of ROH wrestler here). If that's your logic then I could pick a ton of indy wrestlers that have never done shit outside of the indy feds and say that they should win this tournament because they have had hour long matches.

Dusty dressed in polka dots for Vince

After he was past his prime, and he made a ton of money doing it.
just like he does here after he hits Dustys fat ass with a muscle buster

You're in no position to talk about Dusty's fat ass when you are defending Samoa Joe and his muffin top

Working an indy match, going an hour in a 'smark' city is ten times harder then working an hour match against Ric Flair, in a hick city. To work an hour match in ROH, you have to go full speed for nearly the entire time. That shit takes endurance. Dusty vs. Flair had a SHIT LOAD of rest holds and Flair did nearly all the bumping. To say that Dusty Rhodes had it harder going an hour against Ric Flair or Harley Race then Samoa Joe did against CM Punk is flat out ridiculous.

No, it really isn't. Going an hour with Ric Flair is no where near the same as an hour with CM Punk or (insert name of ROH wrestler here). If that's your logic then I could pick a ton of indy wrestlers that have never done shit outside of the indy feds and say that they should win this tournament because they have had hour long matches.

With the constant high pace that ROH likes to keep in thier matches I would say going and hour in ROH is a tad, just a tad more grueling than going an hour in an era where wrestlers relyed heavily on Submission and rest holds to get through a match, those hour matches Joe and Punk had were pretty much non-stop from beginning to end, find me one 60 min. match from Flair and Dustys era that didn't have the two wrestlers using submissions and rest holds through over half of the match

After he was past his prime, and he made a ton of money doing it.

Funny didn't realize we were voting based on how much money a wrestler made...

You're in no position to talk about Dusty's fat ass when you are defending Samoa Joe and his muffin top

:lmao:Did I ever say Joe wasn't fat?, nope sure didn't, and it doesn't change the fact that Joe still beats Dusty with a muscle buster and then chokes his ass out forcing the polka dot wearing fat ass to tap

Funny didn't realize we were voting based on how much money a wrestler made...

Funny I never said we were. I was disputing someone else who was poking fun at Dusty for that stage in his career.

Working an indy match, going an hour in a 'smark' city is ten times harder then working an hour match against Ric Flair, in a hick city. To work an hour match in ROH, you have to go full speed for nearly the entire time. That shit takes endurance.

I'm sick of all this one hour talk. This match wouldn't even go an hour. Dusty would finish him in under 30 minutes after a few bionic elbows and a piledriver. This ROH bullshit also needs to stop. If these guys were really that great then someone like WWE or TNA would have picked all these guys up. The fact is that most of these guys can put on some great matches, but they lack star power, personality, and they would never be able to draw as a champion in a major company. This is a kayfabe wrestling match, not a 60 minute wrestling clinic. If that were the case then only guys like Ricky Steamboat and Dean Malenko would win matches.

I'm sick of all this one hour talk. This match wouldn't even go an hour. Dusty would finish him in under 30 minutes after a few bionic elbows and a piledriver. This ROH bullshit also needs to stop. If these guys were really that great then someone like WWE or TNA would have picked all these guys up. The fact is that most of these guys can put on some great matches, but they lack star power, personality, and they would never be able to draw as a champion in a major company. This is a kayfabe wrestling match, not a 60 minute wrestling clinic. If that were the case then only guys like Ricky Steamboat and Dean Malenko would win matches.

Dude, it was a Dusty Rhodes voter who brought up the one hour shit to begin with, and you were the one who kept the argument going.

And the day you show me Samoa Joe losing to a fucking elbow drop is the day I show you Dusty Rhodes eating a salad. It's not going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back