WWE Interested in Signing Kanye West?

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
Pro Wrestling Insider said:
Website MediaTakeOut.com is reporting that WWE has shown interest in signing Kanye West, who made headlines at last weekend's MTV VMAs event, as a wrestler.

According to the report, West was offered close to 10 million dollars to show up at three events – two television appearances and one PPV.

The article says that West would only have to do "light wrestling" and he is seriously considering the offer.

Wow. I'm speechless here. If this is true, I may just have to seriously reconsider continuing to watch the WWE. I'm serious. If all they're interested in is airing a sideshow circus on television, I'm done. Atleast with Raw I am. Seriously, what the hell is going on with the WWE right now? Apparently they're more interested in grabbing quick ratings for Raw with celebrities like Bob Barker and fucking Al Sharpton then they are in producing a quality product.

If this is true...well, I'm speechless. Speechless at the unbelievable stupidity of this.

What!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!? How could anyone in the WWE possibly think that this is a good move in anyway whatsoever? Kanye West has just made headline for being a jackass, so you decide to offer him 10 million dollars? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I can't even comprehend why they would possibly want to do this.

There is something wrong with the WWE now. The guest host thing has gone on for way to long to the point where it has become completely pointless and uniteresting and now the WWE is willing to just throw out millions of dollars to a random, controversial, celebrity. Just ridiculous.

How is this stupid? Everyone is talking about Kanye. EVERYONE. And ratings and buyrates would go way up. Want historical evidence?

[youtube]sQEzPz_yGLY[/youtube]

6 months later:

[youtube]8XutIU4m5mk[/youtube]

Tyson worked great. Why? Because he bit Evander Holyfield's ear. Was he a great performer? No. But people tuned in because he was Mike Tyson. Mike Tyson helped WWE win the ratings war.

Is Kanye a little different than Tyson? Yeah. But it's the same idea. I don't necessarily care that much for it, but as a business decision, it makes all the sense in the world.

They might as well sign him then bring back the two other talents the WWE fans just seemed to not be able to get enough of in Mike Adamle, and K-Fed. Note the sarcasim. If they would seriously pay that black asshole (nothing against the black... just the asshole part) 10 mil to show up at 3 events, I would officially end my life. 10 Million to dish out to him... but they won't go and AT LEAST TRY (even though it wouldn't likely work... or they may have already tried) to lure AJ Styles away from TNA. I don't know why, but I would just love to see him succeed in the E. However we all know he'll stay with TNA where he's a top guy instead of being shuffled into the mid-card deck of the E. But that's neither here nor there. Kanye, 10 mil, horrible idea. I can think of 10 million better ways to spend that 10 million.

How is this stupid? Everyone is talking about Kanye. EVERYONE. And ratings and buyrates would go way up. Want historical evidence?

[youtube]sQEzPz_yGLY[/youtube]

6 months later:

[youtube]8XutIU4m5mk[/youtube]

Tyson worked great. Why? Because he bit Evander Holyfield's ear. Was he a great performer? No. But people tuned in because he was Mike Tyson. Mike Tyson helped WWE win the ratings war.

Come on now Ricky, that's a bit ridiculous. Mike Tyson helped the WWE win the ratings war? Hardly. Austin was the draw, not Tyson. He certainly helped bring in some viewers, but to claim he was some integral part to helping the WWE win the ratings war is pretty damn absurd. Especially considering they didn't start winning the ratings against Nitro until after Tyson was gone.

Tyson is completely different. Even if he was hated by people, he was still respected as one of the greatest boxers to ever live. Do people respect Kanye West? Hardly. Shit when Tyson came in the crowds were cheering for him. I imagine if Kanye comes a whole lot of booing will be going on over this Taylor Swift bullshit.

This celebrity bullshit doesn't always work, and it likely won't here. WCW proved that. Jay Leno and Karl Malone didn't exactly bring in dynamic ratings, neither did Master P who was a huge name in music at that time.

While that is correct, you have to remember what they did in each respective "contraversial moment". Mike Tyson bit off another giant black man's ear that he's in the ring FIGHTING. Kanye interrupted a 19 yr. old white girl on MTV, receiving an award for a video, that nobody has seen, since MTV doesn't play videos. An MTV award anymore is along the same lines of getting a participation certificate in a 5k fun run. Plus there's at least SOMEWHAT of a similarity to boxing and wrestling. Video awards and wrestling... not so much.

Plus, people can't stand Kanye for this. They think he's a douchebag. They are correct. And sadly, people shit on wrestling all the time too. So why would they want to tune into a program, that they don't like watching, to see someone on it, that they don't like? It doesn't make sense to me.

Plus, Tyson was around in the beloved "Attitude Era." Kanye would be on a PG Raw show. Big difference. Kanye is less cool than Tyson, less appealing than Tyson, and again... just a douchebag.

Austin didn't come out one night and decide that he was going to win the ratings war. It was a process...one in which Mike Tyson played a role. Come on xfear...you know I didn't say that Mike Tyson won the ratings war.

And what do they have to lose by bringing in Kanye? Nothing. Vince has 10 mil just sitting around...and it could produce some good numbers for his program. Sounds like smart business to me.

Come on now Ricky, that's a bit ridiculous. Mike Tyson helped the WWE win the ratings war? Hardly. Austin was the draw, not Tyson. He certainly helped bring in some viewers, but to claim he was some integral part to helping the WWE win the ratings war is pretty damn absurd. Especially considering they didn't start winning the ratings against Nitro until after Tyson was gone.

Tyson brought MAJOR mainstream attention to the WWE for over a month and was a HUGE part of the Wrestlemania 14 hype, which was the turning point of when WWE began to turn the corner into winning the ratings war. There is nothing absurd about saying Tyson was a big help in WWE winning the ratings war, but that is another topic for another thread. So I guess I have to say something about Kanye West...

I don't think it will happen, relax. I remember reading something very similar to this about Eminem, or maybe it was just him rapping in WWE...anyway, it didn't happen...come to think of it, it also reminds me of Jay Z battle rapping John Cena, which also never happened....so take this report with a grain of salt.

While that is correct, you have to remember what they did in each respective "contraversial moment". Mike Tyson bit off another giant black man's ear that he's in the ring FIGHTING. Kanye interrupted a 19 yr. old white girl on MTV, receiving an award for a video, that nobody has seen, since MTV doesn't play videos. An MTV award anymore is along the same lines of getting a participation certificate in a 5k fun run. Plus there's at least SOMEWHAT of a similarity to boxing and wrestling. Video awards and wrestling... not so much.

Plus, people can't stand Kanye for this. They think he's a douchebag. They are correct. And sadly, people shit on wrestling all the time too. So why would they want to tune into a program, that they don't like watching, to see someone on it, that they don't like? It doesn't make sense to me.

Plus, Tyson was around in the beloved "Attitude Era." Kanye would be on a PG Raw show. Big difference. Kanye is less cool than Tyson, less appealing than Tyson, and again... just a douchebag.

Tyson was in jail for rape...then he bit off a piece some guy's ear.

Kanye west jumped up on stage and told a girl that he really liked Beyonce's video.

The first screams attitude...the second screams PG. I don't understand why this wouldn't work. It would add spice to any program.

I'm with X on this one, if Kanye West gets in the ring with ANYONE on ANY of the WWE programming, I'll strongly consider not watching the WWE anymore. I mean, are you kidding me? What the WWE's saying here is that their wrestlers can't draw for shit and we have to depend on celebrities and controversy to even get satisfactory ratings for our shows. This speaks more on the product itself than it does anything.

Hiring Kanye West in any facet is stupid. The man's not well liked, doesn't know dick about wrestling, and would only make everyone else around him look stupid. I mean, what program would you put him in? Honestly. It's clear that Kanye West will do anything to get his name out there, even taking bumps in a wrestling ring, which I wouldn't count on. West was in a bad car accident where he broke his jaw and fractured his pelvis. I wouldn't think he'd take a body slam.

This is sad if it's true.

Smart business doesn't always equal quality product Ricky, and this would be another case of that. Unless you think that having Bob Barker and Al Sharpton on Raw is quality wrestling entertainment programming. WCW did this same bullshit towards the end of their run, and it failed miserably.

Sure, this might bring in some ratings. So what? What's wrong with actually trying to build a wrestling program worth watching? This only takes more time away from building feuds, which should be the main focus of the WWE. Celebrities will never draw as well as a great feud will.

This sounds like an absolutely fantastic idea. Kanye West, whether deservedly or not right now is one of the most talked about names in the entertainment business right now. If WWE were to capitolize on this, then it would help garner them some new fans. Just as it did with Mike Tyson like Ricky said. This is a terriffic business move for Vince. I'm sure he would get slammed by the media, but as we all know any publicity is good publicity.

Xfear, you know I love you, you crazy hippie. However, I disagree with you on this one. It's a very smart business move, and not one along the lines of K-Fed either.

I'm with X on this one, if Kanye West gets in the ring with ANYONE on ANY of the WWE programming, I'll strongly consider not watching the WWE anymore.

They can afford to lose you, as they'd gain quite a few more viewers with the addition of kanye.

Hiring Kanye West in any facet is stupid. The man's not well liked, doesn't know dick about wrestling, and would only make everyone else around him look stupid.

The man's not well liked? That's why you make him a heel. People don't like heels. WWE would be bringing him in based on the heat he has anyway.

They can afford to lose you, as they'd gain quite a few more viewers with the addition of kanye.

And what would make those viewers stick around after Kanye is gone? Nothing. The fans that were brought in by Tyson weren't being drawn in for Tyson alone. They were being drawn into the Austin-HBK match, which Tyson was a part of. Kanye facing someone in a wrestling ring will do absolutely nothing for the WWE, aside from have their company mocked in the media.

Smart business doesn't always equal quality product Ricky, and this would be another case of that. Unless you think that having Bob Barker and Al Sharpton on Raw is quality wrestling entertainment programming. WCW did this same bullshit towards the end of their run, and it failed miserably.

Sure, this might bring in some ratings. So what? What's wrong with actually trying to build a wrestling program worth watching? This only takes more time away from building feuds, which should be the main focus of the WWE. Celebrities will never draw as well as a great feud will.

Well, perhaps you ARE tuning in to the wrong wrestling program, because Vince would think otherwise. Vince is less concerned with "quality wrestling" and more concerned with "entertainment." WWE stopped being a wrestling show in the classic sense of the word after the Golden Era ended.

Vince isn't concerned with winning an Oscar. He just wants to have the highest grossing at the box office.

Smart business doesn't always equal quality product Ricky, and this would be another case of that.

You know this for a fact? Kanye West is about as hot as anyone right now. Mike Tyson didn't bring in quality product either. Austin and Michaels did. Tyson was just a little extra fuel to the fire.

Unless you think that having Bob Barker and Al Sharpton on Raw is quality wrestling entertainment programming.

I'll agree that these two choices are horrible, but still. The ratings would prove otherwise. So they must be doing something right eh?

WCW did this same bullshit towards the end of their run, and it failed miserably.

WCW also dropped the ball with a lot of their other wrestlers, so I don't see how the celebrity involvement is case in point.

Sure, this might bring in some ratings. So what?

That's what it's all about these days xfear. The more people watching, the more people are buying. This is business 101.

What's wrong with actually trying to build a wrestling program worth watching?

There's not, but with so many up and comers not being able to fill the void left by their superiors it's becoming harder and harder to do this.

This only takes more time away from building feuds, which should be the main focus of the WWE. Celebrities will never draw as well as a great feud will.

The WWE hasn't had a great feud since Austin and The Rock. So why not try and bring in ratings any other way you can? Especially since the talent pool in the WWE doesnt seem to be picking up their end of the bargain.

This is actually an interesting scenario. It's funny how some of you are so against it, which actually validates the idea in a way. This guy is a social parasite right now. Think about that in a wrestling sense. He is a real life heel. He would be presented as such by WWE. I'm sure plenty of people have said thiese words "man would I love to see that dude get his ass kicked!" Well here comes WWE to possibly grant that request!

Personally, I'm not a Kanye fan as I'm not big into rap music or popular culture for that matter. However, I'd like to address the point before about Tyson not being liked but being respected. It's the same with Kanye, people think he's a jerk, and have thought it for years (this is the same guy who said George Bush hates black people, who said he's the biggest star in history, etc.), and despite what he's said, he is still well thought of in the rap community for his ability to rhyme. In the same mold as Tyson who had troubles that were more than running his mouth, he was still good at a craft.

As for how that factors into this decision, the guest host thing has been going on for a while and it's hit and miss. Some hosts have been great, others have not. Overall though, it has boosted ratings a tiny bit. Nothing drastic, save for the Shaq show, but little improvements in overall viewership. However, the guest hosts have been plugging movies, books, whatever projects they are doing and that in a sense is the reason they are there, similar to a late night talk show appearance. However, in this case, Kanye wouldn't actually be promoting, he would be there simply to get involved. And the WWE would want him because for the first time in a while, they'd be capitalizing on a current, popular news story, and bringing it to life on their show.

Let me just say this, if the Kanye segment replaced the Chavo/Hornswoggle segments, can you honestly tell me that's not a step in the right direction? I say give it a chance. Kanye is a big name these days and could actually spark interest in the product. If the show is done well around him, people might actually find a quality television product and start to tune in. Getting him might help more than any guest host. We'll see though.

Wow. I'm speechless here. If this is true, I may just have to seriously reconsider continuing to watch the WWE. I'm serious. If all they're interested in is airing a sideshow circus on television, I'm done. Atleast with Raw I am. Seriously, what the hell is going on with the WWE right now? Apparently they're more interested in grabbing quick ratings for Raw with celebrities like Bob Barker and fucking Al Sharpton then they are in producing a quality product.

If this is true...well, I'm speechless. Speechless at the unbelievable stupidity of this.

I am doubting the accuracy of that report. I can not see Vince signing Kanye for a deal like that.

Kanye West simply doesn't fit into the PG Era way of doing things, and certainly wouldn't please advertisers, who as we know, Vince caters to in this day and age.

I'm taking that report with a grain of salt.

You know this for a fact? Kanye West is about as hot as anyone right now. Mike Tyson didn't bring in quality product either. Austin and Michaels did. Tyson was just a little extra fuel to the fire.

Mike Tyson was definitely used well. I can't think of a single scenario in which Kanye would be put to good use. The fuck does he know about wrestling, or even fighting for that matter? Atleast Tyson was respected, Kanye is ridiculed day in and day out by the media.

I'll agree that these two choices are horrible, but still. The ratings would prove otherwise. So they must be doing something right eh?

Not really. The ratings didn't jump up with Bob Barker. The only guest host that has given them a noticeable increase in ratings was Shaq. And the ratings they're doing right now are still pitiful compared to even 5 years ago.

WCW also dropped the ball with a lot of their other wrestlers, so I don't see how the celebrity involvement is case in point.

My point was that what did bringing in people like Jay Leno to wrestle accomplish for WCW? Absolutely nothing. It only pissed the fans off. Which is what I think having Kanye would do.

That's what it's all about these days xfear. The more people watching, the more people are buying. This is business 101.

The WWE hasn't had a great feud since Austin and The Rock. So why not try and bring in ratings any other way you can? Especially since the talent pool in the WWE doesnt seem to be picking up their end of the bargain.

Which is my point. It IS possible to both simultaneously do good business and produce a quality product. Just because something is made or done for pure profit (or ratings), doesn't mean it's good. Take your average Hollywood blockbuster action movie, like Transformers 2. Did HUUUUGE numbers. Does that mean it was a good film? Fuck no it wasn't. Same case here. The WWE is too focused on grabbing a short spike in ratings right now instead of doing the work of building a feud or angle people want to see and sustaining those ratings over a long period of time.

And what about the other WWE employees? Don't you think seeing Kanye fucking West make 10 million dollars for doing absolutely nothing is going to piss guys in that locker room off, who don't get paid even a fraction of that?

Will this happen? Highly unlikely, why because if that's the kind of money Kanye would like i'm sure Vince would not pay that much for him. So as far as any Kanye/WWE partnership is concerned, i'm sure it's just internet speculation. As that is probably a little too much money than Vince is looking in to.

The second problem with this is the actual thought of Kanye getting into a WWE ring. I cannot believe that if this speculation is true then this is a real possibility. It's just simply ridiculous. Maybe Kanye has gotten into some fights i'm sure, but to wrestle? That to me is just laughable. What could this "Gay Fish" even contribute to a WWE show? The answer is simply nothing.

Kanye West used to be my favorite rapper for about 3-4 years. Until I started hearing T.I.'s music, now Kanye's my second.

Anyway, WWE is interested in signing Kanye West due to the simple fact that they want publicity. WWE always wants publicity. Whether the publicity is good or bad is beneath WWE, but they just thrive on getting it. After what Kanye West did at the VMAs to Taylor Swift, he's one of the most hated men on the planet. WWE finds that interesting.

Paying Kanye West $10 million for just three appearances is a bit much, but I can't judge. I don't know whether this is a great or even good business move for WWE, but we'll just have to wait and see. We still aren't 100% sure if this is really true, and we don't even know if Kanye West really wants to do it. When he was a guest on Jay Leno, he said that we would be taking time to think and process, so by the time they would find negotiations, it might not be as fresh in people's minds, the incident.

WWE is known for making good business decisions and bad ones... same with any other company. Bringing in Kanye West can be either one, depending on what it is he's doing. It can turn out to be one of WWE's best decisions ever, but due to Mr. West's reputation, some people will look pass that and judge him for who he is. At his age (32), no matter how hard he tries, he probably won't ever change, so it's important to not associate someone with one bad thing they might have done in the past. Even if it was just a little over a week ago.

I am doubting the accuracy of that report. I can not see Vince signing Kanye for a deal like that.

Kanye West simply doesn't fit into the PG Era way of doing things, and certainly wouldn't please advertisers, who as we know, Vince caters to in this day and age.

I'm taking that report with a grain of salt.

Oh I'm taking it with a grain of salt as well, as I highly doubt this will actually happen. But for the sake of argument, it's a silly idea if they do go through with it.

Oh I'm taking it with a grain of salt as well, as I highly doubt this will actually happen. But for the sake of argument, it's a silly idea if they do go through with it.

I can't see Kanye West even going through with it, to be honest. It just doesn't seem like his cup of tea.

When I first saw that WWE was interested in him, I was assuming it was going to be for a Guest GM spot. I certainly didn't think they wanted him to actually wrestle. I think it would be a stretch for West to actually participate in anything to do with WWE, much less actually wrestle. I also doubt he really needs the money, anyway.

Unfortunately, you and I are going to be at opposite ends of this (so, don't take it personally lol). I am all for Controversy and bringing West in would be an extremely controversial move on WWE's part. Controversial television makes for interesting television, in my humble opinion. It would be sure to produce ratings, and would probably result in some of their highest rated shows if they actually had the balls to go through with it.

Now, as I said, I can't see West actually going through with this himself, and as far as Vince goes, he lost his grapefruits some time ago in doing something like this.

If it's true, it'll be for WrestleMania. That PPV costs $55 I believe, and generally receives around a million buys, making $55million overall. Paying West $10million would return a profit if it added 200,000 buys. I'm not sure that it could do that, if I'm perfectly honest, but maybe it could. If WWE thought that it could and a few polls suggested that it could, I wouldn't blame them for pursuing it. Seriously, one match at WrestleMania has traditionally got a celebrity in it anyway, it makes good sense for it to be one that people would pay to see get nailed. I'm not saying this should happen, but it could be so much worse.

Whether it is true or not Kayne should have a limited role. I would prefer none at all but if he were to come to WWE I could understand a performance or maybe even guest hosting, but not wrestling. TNA tried that with Pacman Jones and they received a little media attention but that's it. I'm sure Kayne would spark attention and maybe a little bit of ratings, but the majority of people who aren't wrestling fans aren't going to watch 2 hours of Raw just for Kayne West.

Also, the wrestling fans aren't going to tune in either because of how ridiculous this move is. WWE has the competition beat, why not try to peak ratings with actual wrestling and good storylines? WWE didn't need celebrities on a weekly basis in the past, why do they need them now? WWE has talent, they just lack new main event stars. I'm not sure what they are trying to prove, it is like they are trying to throw anything on the wall to see if it sticks.

Much like WCW did with Leno, Kiss, and David Arquette. I think WWE will look back at this fiasco and say we should of spent more time building talent because the ratings with celebrities didn't last long anyways. I think most people will boo and laugh at Kayne if he were to come in, not because he's a heel or a bad entertainer but because he has no business there in the first place. Just like Vince had no business trying to run his own football league. They got a lot of media attention and exposure too but we all know that was a terrible idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back